Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shampoo (1975)

Just saw this for the first time. What are your feelings and opinions of the film? And on a side note, I didn’t find Lee Grant’s performance anything exceptional considering she won the Oscar for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2024 2:18 AM

You may find this old, closed thread of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2024 8:30 PM

Barely remember it but I do remember enjoying it. Wasn't it supposed to be, sort of, about Jay Sebring and Jon Peters? Other than that I remember much skepticism about any hairdressers being 100% straight so I felt free to masturbate to Warren Beatty.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2024 8:32 PM

It wasn’t as good as I was expecting it to be.

And I agree with OP about Lee Grant.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2024 8:38 PM

Since Grant was one of many entertainment industry professionals blacklisted in the 1950s....

isn't this Oscar considered a ...."gee, Lee......sorry bout that decade of no employment!" consolation award?

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2024 8:41 PM

R4 that totally makes sense

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2024 8:56 PM

The film is very much a product of its time and was, I think, overrated even then (especially by Pauline Kael). It's amusing, but after a while the characters played by Beatty and Hawn are just not that interesting IMO, though I'll admit I'm not much of a Beatty fan to begin with. Julie Christie and Jack Warden are worth watching, though.

Grant is good in the film, but Lily Tomlin should have won for NASHVILLE. I suspect she and Ronee Blakeley cancelled each other out, though I also suspect Altman's film was considered by the Academy as more of a critical success than a commercial one, whereas SHAMPOO did well at the boxoffice.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2024 8:58 PM

OP, I just watched this a couple of nights ago and was surprised by how much I didn't like it. There's really no plot, as such, and the humor just fell flat. That said, Julie Christie and Goldie Hawn were memorable.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2024 9:11 PM

Julie Christie and Jack Warden are the only memorable performances in that film, Beatty and Hawn just fall flat. Though, I like how in the end Christie chooses Warden over Beatty.

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2024 9:34 PM

Carrie Fisher's first film.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2024 9:44 PM

Warren shows his ass.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2024 10:10 PM

I can only watch it if I speed up to all of Julie Christie’s scenes. She’s magical in everything.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2024 10:20 PM

It’s a real zeitgeist film , there really hadn’t been that sort of social and political criticism in a mainstream movie before. It had loads of ‘70s glamor refracted through the late ‘60s. Seeing Goldie Hawn in such a role was a revelation, she had sprung to fame playing ding-a-lings. Hearing Julie Christie and the daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher swear like longshoreman was still transgressive at the movies then.

Was it profound or classic as a movie? No. It was smart, it was fun, it was anti-Nixon and anti-Republican. It was an atrifact of its time but in the best possible way, I think. A real time capsule movie.

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2024 10:22 PM

Julie Christie is amazing in everything. It’s no surprise almost every script in Hollywood was offered to her first, back in the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2024 10:35 PM

another aspect of the zeitgeist R12 referenced above ....

to my memory, it was THE movie where the Easy Rider/ Woodstock hippie worshipping was over.

movie stars were back.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2024 2:45 AM

Datalonge people- I will give you another example of an overrated movie

All The Presidents Men- I watched it with my father a few years ago- Snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2024 2:52 AM

Meredith Baxter-Muff-Diver has a small role in that. Did you notice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2024 3:02 AM

R16- Yes- I did.

That was probably the highlight of the movie for me- I'm so gay.

She can do no wrong ever since she appeared as that Princess Nancy Lawrence Maitland on Family .

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2024 3:08 AM

R16- I must correct you on her name- It's not polite to call her that.

Her proper name is Meredith Baxter Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2024 3:09 AM

[quote]Warren shows his ass.

Incidentally, for some reason I can't picture Warren Beatty with a butthole.

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2024 3:22 AM

^^Everybody poops!

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2024 3:33 AM

[Quote] Meredith Baxter-Muff-Diver has a small role in that. Did you notice?

R16 of course I did!

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2024 5:31 AM

Nora Sayre NY Times 02/12/1975

Boyishly awkward mumbling and gesturing in a traditionally inarticulate style the actor {Beatty} is devoid of gumption: he's supposed to be keen on women and sex, yet he seems quite passive and unenthusiastic.

Carrie Fisher makes a deft, cool debut as a hostile adolescent: somehow the daughter of Debbie Reynolds seems more at ease in the movie then most of her hip senior colleagues

Shampoo is set on the election Eve of 1968 but there is no apparent reason for reviving the 1960s beyond putting Miss Horn in a miniskirt.

After he (George) restyles the heads of Miss Christie and Miss Hawn both ceased to look as spectacular as they did before: their locks are dowdy

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2024 5:47 AM

“Now that’s what I call fucking”.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2024 5:51 AM

Andrew Stevens: Boy #2

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2024 6:06 AM

R22, did you copy & paste that or did you re-type it here? There are typos and grammar issues throughout. The NYT would never have allowed the review to go to press in its present state.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2024 6:13 AM

R25 Highlight the most glaring typos and grammar issues. Interested in what you find so offensive. R22

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2024 6:24 AM

R26, I don't find them "offensive" they're just rather obvious and The NYT would never publish an article with so many typos.

Example: "...the movie then most of her hip senior colleagues" THEN should be THAN.

Example: "...beyond putting Miss Horn in a miniskirt." I'm assuming Miss Horn should be Miss HAWN.

Just a few examples.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2024 6:30 AM

Actually, there are just a few examples and obviously Horn should be Hawn.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2024 6:41 AM

R10, you misspelled “he’s an” — it’s not spelled “his.”

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2024 6:44 AM

R29 Tell me you have no life without actually telling me.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2024 6:45 AM

Awful

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2024 6:46 AM

Like The Godfather, The Fury, Dressed to Kill and Last Tango in Paris, Shampoo was another film Pauline Kael vastly overrated

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2024 6:51 AM

R28, you obviously re-typed it from the original as the original does not contain those errors. Why couldn't you just say so?

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2024 6:53 AM

Why not talk about the film R33? Time to take you meds.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2024 6:56 AM

your ^

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2024 6:57 AM

Illiterates gonna illiterate, R34, R35.

Don't bother responding. I don't feel like reading more of YOUR grammatical errors.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2024 7:18 AM

People have said the sexual politics in the film mirrors the political situation in the US at the time. Yet how would the characters in the film be different if it were 1966 or 1975? Think RHOBH?

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2024 7:22 AM

[quote]Like The Godfather, The Fury, Dressed to Kill and Last Tango in Paris, Shampoo was another film Pauline Kael vastly overrated

"The Godfather"?, you're dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 38May 13, 2024 1:33 PM

What bugs me about this film ( I started watching it on the weekend)- it's supposed to be 1968 yet everyone looks like 1974 when it was filmed. It's only set 6 years earlier but the fashions and hairstyles were significantly different in 1968 compared to 1974. I agree with the OP. I don't think this movie is much of anything. It holds my interest only because it is now a period piece. The best scene in the movie is a very young Carrie Fisher in the kitchen with Warren Beatty and their homophobic dialogue is funny anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39May 13, 2024 1:38 PM

I despised that film. Friends convinced me against my reservations and, well, I'll note that by coincidence they are not friends any longer.

Beatty was cloying in anything outside of Bonnie & Clyde and, despite a couple respectable efforts, none of the other cast saved it for me. The plot, the script...just drivel and such smug hype surrounded it as though it were the film of the decade and pure genius.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2024 1:48 PM

I like Lee Grant a lot—she’s never boring, all the way back to her shoplifter in Detective Story, in which she stole the movie from some very good actors. Of her comeback films, she was most droll in The Landlord. But of the nominees, I think Ronee Blakey was best—and Barbara Harris was even better in Nashville. Tomlin was fine, but her usual brittle self.

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2024 10:59 PM

Debby Reynolds told Warren Beatty to keep his hands off her daughter when she was cast in Shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2024 11:47 PM

^^^Debbie Reynolds

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2024 11:48 PM

I’ve stopped trying to watch this movie after years of starts and stops. Horribly filmed, awful script, stupid plot and miscast. It’s basically unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2024 12:21 AM

“I do Barbara Rush”

by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2024 12:28 AM

R44 sounds like a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 46May 14, 2024 12:30 AM

That's "Academy Award Winning Actress Lee Grant," OP, you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2024 12:33 AM

I was too young for it when it came out. When vcrs became accessible I rented it from New Video in the village. I was a little disappointed there wasn’t more to it, but it’s diverting enough for what it is.

I think that was around 1984. Haven’t watched it again since.

During that same time I rented a bunch of Ashby‘s films — Harold and Maude, Coming Home, Being There, and The Last Detail. I couldn’t escape the conclusion that he was an overrated director, although the one movie of his that wasn’t overpraised — The Last Detail — is imo the best of them.

by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2024 12:35 AM

[quote]What bugs me about this film ( I started watching it on the weekend)- it's supposed to be 1968 yet everyone looks like 1974 when it was filmed. It's only set 6 years earlier but the fashions and hairstyles were significantly different in 1968 compared to 1974.

Interesting point r39. I find most movies and TV shows do a poor job of presenting 'the recent past'. It maybe that at the time of filming, the significance of the differences hadn't really sunk in, or perhaps there is an esthetic aversion to the recently out-of-date.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2024 12:39 AM

R48 I like his first film The Landlord (1970) Lee Grant is particularly funny

by Anonymousreply 50May 14, 2024 5:05 AM

Grant was nominated for an Oscar in 1971 the first time she worked with Hal Ashby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2024 5:06 AM

[quote]Boyishly awkward, mumbling and gesturing in a traditionally inarticulate style, the actor {Beatty} is devoid of gumption.

Right on the nose. He was underwhelming and seemed like he was special needs.

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2024 11:03 PM

where are you all watching Shampos?

by Anonymousreply 53May 14, 2024 11:10 PM

^^Shampoo

by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2024 11:11 PM

[quote]And I agree with OP about Lee Grant.

Me, too, but Lee Grant is always exceptional. Glad she won.

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2024 11:11 PM

I think Lee Grant is pretty great and she reminds me of Anne Bancroft for some reason.

Julie Christie is just gorgeous but I think her beauty could overshadow her real talent.

I never got Beattys' appeal in anything and Shampoo is really dated. Almost Movie of the Week quality.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2024 12:44 AM

A straight womanizing male hairstylist. Yeah. Right.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2024 12:46 AM

Sorry R38 never cared for the Corleone clan and 3 hours with them is at least 1 hour too long. I'll take Goodfellas or The Sopranos anytime. Godfather II is better. The Gone with the Wind of gangster films is well-made old fashion melodrama. Just overrated to my mind.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2024 3:33 AM

Hairdressing women was the true career for hot, red-blooded heterosexual lotharios in the 60s and 70s!

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2024 3:54 AM

Indeed, R59.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2024 8:01 AM

I remember my parents seeing this in the theater and my Mom said my dad liked Julie Christie.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2024 8:11 AM

[quote] Interesting point [R39]. I find most movies and TV shows do a poor job of presenting 'the recent past'. It maybe that at the time of filming, the significance of the differences hadn't really sunk in, or perhaps there is an esthetic aversion to the recently out-of-date.

Yellowjackets plays all that Garbage and Papa Roach but it never seems 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2024 12:45 PM

Carrie's the best thing in the film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 20, 2024 5:52 AM

[Quote] Boyishly awkward, mumbling and gesturing in a traditionally inarticulate style, the actor {Beatty} is devoid of gumption.

[Quote] Right on the nose. He was underwhelming and seemed like he was special needs

Don't let R25 hear you R52

by Anonymousreply 64May 20, 2024 6:04 AM

I liked their hair.

by Anonymousreply 65May 20, 2024 6:12 AM

[quote]He was underwhelming and seemed like he was special needs.

I like the movie and love some of the performances, but agree with this. His only asset was his beauty. Maybe that was the point: scary protectors (Jack Warden) being replaced by man children (Beatty).

The women were the most interesting, but that would make sense if you see this movie as a "death of patriarchy" vehicle. Sort of like Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2024 2:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!