Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

San Francisco continues to its downward spiral because of incompetent leaders

Haven’t they noticed that enabling addicts just brings more addicts to the city, continues addition and doesn’t help the city prosper one bit.

If you allow and enable people to continue their behavior, then the behavior will continue, if not get worse.

This experiment in San Francisco is an abject failure. Has been for 20 years.

All you have to do is visit San Fran for a day. They’ve ruined a great city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2024 1:52 PM

I can't believe San Franciscans (and Californians, in general) put up with this 'woke' nonsense. smdh

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2024 4:21 PM

It’s sucks. Can’t visit there anymore. My bf and I no longer feel safe. And it’s gross. We saw human shit on the sidewalk….more than once. Saw naked homeless people shitting and pissing. Saw a guy shoot up around 10am when we were on a morning stroll to get a cup of Joe. People cussing at people and screaming at each other. It’s nuts. Do NOT go near Mission St.

We won’t be going back soon.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2024 4:22 PM

R1 that’s why so many are moving out. They’ve ruined the city. It’s terrible.

Far left policies just don’t work when governing a city. I’m sorry it just doesn’t. You need sensible leaders from both sides. We used to be able to work together.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2024 4:25 PM

Who makes the fog surrounding the Golden Gate simply disappear?

Addicts. Addicts.

Who makes the warning bells on the cable cars play "The Gangs All Here"?

Addicts. Addicts.

Who charms the crabs at Fisherman's Wharf right out of their shells?

Who lights the lamps of Chinatown just by walking in view? ... Who?

Addicts ! Addicts! Addicts ! It sure isn't you!

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2024 4:27 PM

SF needs to start over with a new Mayor and Board of Supervisors. It’s still in a doom loop and passive about removing homeless off the streets. Granted their hands are tied but doing nothing but enabling addiction and homelessness is a losing strategy for residents.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2024 4:41 PM

The new Philly mayor just cleared out part of what is the worst drug encampment on the east coast.

What this means and how sustainable it is remains unknown, but nothing was done for years.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2024 4:45 PM

It's sad that San Francisco has fallen so deeply into homelessness and alcohol/drug addiction that when a program that actually works is highlighted by someone with an agenda (AI tech bro dude who Xitted about this is on the board of the Salvation Army, yup, the same assholes who force you to pray before you eat) it causes undue community upheaval and demands that the program is ended. Don't get me wrong; San Francisco has made decades worth of poor decisions, has incompetent leadership, and is overrun by extreme radicals who put their own on the board of supervisors who enact policies that drive middle class people out of the city. Add in the fact that every state west of the Mississippi deals with their homeless and addiction problem by purchasing one-way bus tickets to California and you have the perfect storm of a city in decline. What's infuriating is when someone who knows better uses counter-intuitive programs — with proven success — against the very people it's helping. It's the definition of a circular firing squad.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2024 4:51 PM

[quote]S.F. program gives homeless people free booze.

Well that is the definition of insanity. I have lived with an alcoholic, and I have seen them try something similar, of course that ended exactly like you'd expect. Of all the batshit crazy ideas I have heard, this would have to be the worst. It may appear to "work" in the short term but in the long term it is merely enabling addiction at taxpayer expense

[quote]Even Mayor London Breed in February said that harm reduction was “not reducing the harm” but “making things far worse.”

Well, no shit. When it has even dawned on those like her that this strategy doesnt work, its time to call a halt to the lunacy and look elsewhere for ideas that work, and it doesnt really matter where from.

[quote]You need sensible leaders from both sides. We used to be able to work together.

This. It needs to not be a political issue, ideology has no place in this.

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2024 5:29 PM

Between the overpriced houses and the homelessness, no one can help this dump.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2024 5:37 PM

The Detroit of the West Coast

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2024 12:23 AM

Bullshit, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2024 12:27 AM

It's heading that way r11. The crime and homelessness in the city is really bad.

I'd liken it more to Baltimore: crime-riddled at its urban core but ringed by decent suburbs and outer areas (most of Maryland is fairly nice).

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2024 4:14 AM

Wow this makes Philly sound like Belle époque Paris.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2024 5:40 AM

Currently safe and sound wearing my Kaftan in the Castro. Sends love.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2024 6:39 AM

Here's a crazy idea: don't go to San Francisco if you don't like it. I never go to San Francisco. It's pretty easy to avoid going somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2024 6:59 AM

[quote] It may appear to "work" in the short term but in the long term it is merely enabling addiction at taxpayer expense

And that's the bullshit that the techbro dude used to gin (ha!) up public ire without understanding or exploring why the program was created and whether or not it works. The idea was to get addicts off the street and into treatment, but the first barrier to treating severe alcoholism is the immediate threat of withdrawal symptoms (up to and including death), and either you check them into extremely expensive addiction facilities where they pump their bodies full of drugs to ease the symptoms, or you put them in a flop hotel and wean them slowly off the booze. I guess San Francisco should just pony up the $10k-$25k PER DAY PER PATIENT costs of the medically-approved alcohol treatment center to satisfy the Silicon Valley masters who totally don't live in a bubbles of access and privilege. And we all don't know anybody who's relapsed after outrageously expensive rehab.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2024 3:30 PM

R11 It’s Detroit with better weather. 100%

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2024 1:50 PM

Miami is doing it right!

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2024 1:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!