Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Target to Reduce Number of Stores Carrying Pride-Themed Merchandise

Target confirmed that it won't be carrying its LGBTQ+ merchandise for Pride month in June in some stores after the discount retailer received backlash last year for its assortment that also cut into sales.

Target, which operates roughly 2,000 stores, said Friday that the decision to offer Pride merchandise, including adult apparel, home products, food and beverage at the stores will be based on "guest insights and consumer research."

A Target spokeswoman declined to disclose the number of stores that won't be carrying the merchandise. But a full assortment will be offered online, Target said.

"Target is committed to supporting the LGBTQIA+ community during Pride Month and year-round," Target said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press. "Most importantly, we want to create a welcoming and supportive environment for our LGBTQIA+ team members, which reflects our culture of care for the over 400,000 people who work at Target. "

The moves, first reported by Bloomberg, come after Target removed some items from its stores and made other changes to its LGBTQ+ merchandise nationwide ahead of Pride month last year after intense reaction from some customers who confronted workers and tipped over displays. Target also moved Pride displays to the back of its stores in certain Southern locations last year.

But Target faces a second backlash from customers upset by the discount retailer's reaction to aggressive, anti-LGBTQ+ activism, which has also been sweeping through Republican state legislatures. Civil rights groups had scolded the company for caving to anti-LGBTQ+ customers who expressed outrage over gender-fluid bathing suits that it had carried. The anti-LGBTQ+ customers also posted threatening videos on social media from inside the stores.

Target's latest moves are just another example of how companies are struggling to cater to different groups of customers at a time of extreme cultural divides, particularly around transgender rights. Last year, brand Bud Light got negative response from customers angered by its attempt to broaden its customer base by partnering with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2024 11:56 AM

I'm disgusted by Target's decision, but at the same time I'm also put off by all that Pride junk.

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2024 3:40 PM

So no more chest binders for children? Oh, no.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2024 3:45 PM

I forgot all about the crap Target went through last year for carrying PRIDE merchandise. None of the stores in my area (New England) had to face that, as far as I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2024 3:52 PM

I am guessing the stores that are not carrying the items did not sell enough in the past to warrant putting them out this year. It is most likely a business decision.

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2024 4:04 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2024 4:15 PM

The Pride stuff always seemed out of place there. I like to associate gays with Saks not Target.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2024 4:29 PM

It's sad they gave into Cristian nationalist pressure but their mech was just ridiculous and a money grab. Maybe one t-shirt or one mug...not 500 different pieces of rainbow pride merch.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2024 5:59 PM

Regardless, the same assholes who were protesting pride merch last year will find it someplace else.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2024 5:58 PM

I appreciate Target making the effort to include Pride merchandise. It means a lot they are supportive of the LGBT community and willing to demonstrate it.

However, it's not really necessary to have Pride merchandise in every store. New York and San Francisco -- YES, definitely. But Podunk and Bumfuck -- NO, just skip it. Beside, they likely aren't selling very much, if any, in Podunk and Bumfuck anyway.

Along similar lines, the Pride merchandise that Target carries isn't really anything special. Just seems like cheap items with rainbow colors splashed on them. Nothing particularly special or high quality.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2024 6:38 PM

R9, I really like your post and agree 100%.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2024 7:20 PM

They don’t have to call it Pride. It used to just be multi-colored rainbow. I like colorful things but I don’t really want to wear it now.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2024 8:17 PM

Good. This Pride shit has really gotten out of control. It is fucking absurd.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2024 8:31 PM

Where am I going to shop for competitively priced dildos now?

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2024 8:35 PM

[quote]I'm also put off by all that Pride junk.

Speaking of Pride junk - will Target still be carrying the trans-tuck bathing suits this year?

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2024 8:43 PM

It’s all stupid tacky shit anyway

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2024 8:48 PM

They need to offer MUCH LESS OF THIS CRAP. And who cares if it's not in shops where no customers want to buy it or where christian fundies take office for attention seeking and to "get the libs". It's a bunch of crap.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2024 8:52 PM

Every Target store should have at least some pride merch if any of them do. I find the "Fuck them in bumfuck" attitude atrocious when those gays realistically need that message more and finding pride merch locally is more difficult for them too.

Yes, Target went way overboard with the tacky crap. And it got needlessly controversial with the chest binders and shit. And yes, you don't need much besides a t-shirt or two in some lesser visited stores, OK. But eliminating it completely in some stores is giving in to thugs. And I hate when stores and people just give up and give in to people breaking the law, regardless of motivation (shoplifting rings, bigotry, etc.). Giving into terrorists helps no one in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2024 9:05 PM

Decorate the stores tastefully and promote an online Pride store on their website or something. Maybe have a small end cap with limited, sellable items.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2024 9:10 PM

Why would I want to support such a cynical attempt to cash in on something that has real meaning to some people?

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2024 9:13 PM

R17 you make good points but still it's a bunch of imported crap. Who makes money selling that stuff? How does commercial crap commodities promote LGBTQRSTUV Pride? As for LGBTQRSTUVWX people in bumfuck, I'm sure they can get their hands on pride merch if they should want it by ordering online or through local LGBTQRSTUVWX organisations or in their visits to the big cities.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 9:16 PM

Two years ago, the Ralphs grocery stores (owned by Kroger) in Southern California, had rainbow colored plastic plates, bowls and glasses (tumblers) on sale, mixed in with various other plastic plates, bowls and glasses for sale in a display.

I wasn't sure whether this was a subtle attempt to promote Pride or just someone completely unaware of the gay connection ordering these colored plates because the rainbow designs were attractive.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 9:38 PM

I'm curious if WalMart or Kohl's will be carrying Pride merch this summer ?

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 9:41 PM

I've never bought Pride merchandise in my life and have no desire to, but I couldn't give a fuck if a shop wants to sell it.

Imagine protesting at some rainbow plastic cups and being glad your protesting got it removed from sale.

I remain convinced protestors of that nature have nothing going on in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2024 10:23 PM

Though I live in an upscale gayborhood, I have to say the only pride merch I see displayed throughout the neighborhood is the occasional pride flag or pride windsock hanging by the front door. That's it. Very tasteful, very nice. When I see men and women strolling the streets, I never see tees or hats with rainbows. I never see bumper stickers with rainbows on cars.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2024 10:37 PM

I don't see any merch in Cap Ferrat either, R24. 😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2024 10:52 PM

I'm always chasing rainbows.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2024 2:40 AM

"Though I live in an upscale gayborhood"

Gurl please you sound pretentious ,like Mrs. Drysdale from the Beverly Hillbillies. Another "A" gay enthocentric. How's that Audi Convertible working for you?

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2024 2:49 AM

R9, i have the opposite view. For gay folks - excuse me, LGBTQIA folks - in cities like NY and SF, the presence of Pride-themed merchandise in Target doesn’t matter much because it’s available in many other places. But i feel like if you’re gay and living in a small rural or suburban town, possibly closeted, possibly without contact with other LGBT people, the presence and visibility of Pride merch in your local Target can be so meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2024 2:56 AM

- selling tuck bathing suits for children is absurd - selling rainbow cups and paper plates is stupid - protesting the sale of such items is stupider - kowtowing to such protests is pathetic

I don’t really care what target does. I appreciate their transparency in dealing with the issue. But still, they’ve definitely lost some esteem over their handling of last year’s conTROversy.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2024 3:13 AM

All the Pride products I saw for kids last year at Target were things like rainbow shirts with generic text ("be kind"). Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2024 6:48 AM

Trannies ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2024 11:09 AM

R30, there were chest binders in my story.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2024 11:09 AM

R28 thinks it’s 1981.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2024 11:09 AM

Gays are all about communism and against pink capitalism so they should be happy about this.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2024 11:10 AM

So, no T-shirt in Jungle Red that screams "ITS MAM!!!!" ?

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2024 11:12 AM

R27 is triggered in his trailer park.

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2024 11:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!