Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL, tell me about Canada's maritime provinces.

I've never been, but I see the ads for Newfoundland, PEI etc... all the time.

Worth visiting, or pass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2024 1:37 PM

Nunavut is not one of the Maritime Provinces.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2024 6:57 PM

Then why are you posting about it here, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2024 7:01 PM

OP, I've wanted to visit these places, mainly to see the icebergs floating by. Also, I've been seeing St. John on flight maps when heading to Europe since 1978, my first trip abroad, I've been curious about these places that so many people bypass overhead every day. I'd also like to visit Nova Scotia to see the Bay of Fundy.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2024 7:12 PM

Technically Newfoundland and Labrador (official name) is not one of the maritimes but still well worth the visit. There's lots of history, good people and you'll drown in the quaintness.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2024 7:15 PM

I'm slight ashamed to admit that I never visited Canada until 2 years ago. I was really blown away by what a great place it is with very cool people. I regret not visiting Montreal and Quebec province sooner (it is only 300 miles or so from New York City). I think Montreal has the friendliest gay scene anywhere, and I've been on dozens of trips abroad and in the US.

I spent a day in Ottawa which was very interesting and enjoyable, but the two provinces really feel like two different countries, in my humble and not very experienced opinion.

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2024 7:49 PM

Newfoundland things.

1) Gros Morne national park is really interesting. It is one of the few places on earth where you can see the earth’s mantle and is home to multiple types of carnivorous plants. And you can go have a meal in charming Trout River when you are done exploring.

2) It has only been part of Canada since 1949 and one of the things the Canadian government did was forced resettlements of the more isolated communities rather than providing services. I am linking to a Wikipedia article about Brake’s Cove that says it is abandoned, but I’ve been there and know it has secretly been resettled.

3) St. Tibb’s day is December 23rd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2024 9:31 PM

I worked for a turbo cunt from NB who haughtily corrected me when I used the term "maritime" rather than "Atlantic" provinces. I know people from NB are weird fucks generally, but anyone actually from the East coast care to weigh in?

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2024 9:34 PM

Actually, earlier I looked up the term Maritime Provinces. You need to show this Wikipedia entry to the turbo cunt:

"The word maritime is an adjective that means of the sea; thus any land adjacent to the sea can be considered maritime. But the term Maritimes has historically been collectively applied to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, all of which border the Atlantic Ocean."

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2024 10:11 PM

R7, she was probably referrring to this, but she was still a twat.

[quote] The first premier of Newfoundland, Joey Smallwood, coined the term "Atlantic Canada" when the Dominion of Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949. He believed that it would have been presumptuous for Newfoundland to assume that it could include itself within the existing term "Maritime provinces," used to describe the cultural similarities shared by New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia, which entered Confederation during the 19th century (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia were founding members of the Dominion of Canada in 1867, and Prince Edward Island joined in 1873).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2024 10:20 PM

It just looks so incredibly beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2024 11:31 PM

[quote] It just looks so incredibly beautiful.

More like New-FUN-land! Amirite?

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2024 11:42 PM

Oh I hope that you are able to go OP.

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2024 12:13 AM

There's at least one man from New Brunswick I'd blow until his light brown bush stuffed my nostrils. Nice nipples on the guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2024 12:22 AM

Thank you, R12. I hope so too.

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2024 1:52 AM

Lots of poverty but not as much homelessness as larger Canadian cities. Nicer people, more generous. New Brunswick has a more hillbilly feeling. I don't believe this but a doctor friend told me New Brunswick has the most percentage of Fetal alcohol Syndrome sufferers in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2024 3:02 AM

I doubt that, R15. It could be true. I would guess the indigenous people in western provinces would have more issues with alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2024 3:05 AM

Newfies have the funniest accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2024 9:57 AM

There’s lots of different regional accents too. My Dad’s people have the historic Dorset accent, which is “talk like a pirate” English with strong ties to African American vernacular as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2024 11:36 AM

I was born in St. john’s, and I always recommend visiting Newfoundland if you’ve never been. it’s a distinct place from the other atlantic provinces. A lot more remote and its own distinct culture.

June through october you’ll usually be safe weather wise. Plan your trip well in advance because accommodation and rental cars often get booked up completely during tourist season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2024 12:42 PM

When can you see the icebergs?

I notice that the town shown in the my link at R10 has no roads....how do you get there and what is there to do there?

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2024 1:12 PM

In Canada’s maritime provinces all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2024 1:22 PM

Here’s a useful link OP.

Many of those isolated communities are only accessible by boat. Residents use atvs to get around. Beautiful places but it’s not an easy life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2024 1:36 PM

and finally, an iceberg for Dataloungers everywhere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2024 1:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!