Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

10 years since Robin Williams' suicide

Here he is on Broadway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 13, 2024 6:08 PM

Even his suicide was overdone and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2024 2:00 AM

Ewww. Why is he on Broadway now?

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2024 2:11 AM

Not funny then, not funny now. He had no act, just a persona.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2024 2:18 AM

Suicide? I thought it was, uhhh... something else (more accidental, if you know what I mean).

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2024 2:21 AM

I’m sorry for his family but I never got how he was supposed to be a comedic genius

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2024 2:23 AM

He was great in Good Will Hunting (his only serious role).

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2024 2:26 AM

Just over the top too much and too often.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2024 2:38 AM

Everyone hated this guy. Then he died and suddenly Robin was a beloved comedic genius.🙄

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2024 2:42 AM

This thread is the epitome of try hard edginess. Dear lord.

Robin was the best. One of the few celebrity deaths to make me cry. He was loved and is to this day.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2024 2:47 AM

I loved Mork and Mindy when I was a kid

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2024 2:54 AM

Robin Williams was clearly manic and nuts, but he wrapped himself in his mania as a career move, but I always found him very unsettling. Imagine him high on coke, which he often was.

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2024 3:11 AM

No one hated Robin Williams. What utter nonsense this thread is. The contrarian bots on this site are exhausting. Go to bed in Vladivostok or wherever the fuck you are. Jesus.

I can’t believe it’s been ten years.

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2024 3:13 AM

Those are some of the hairiest arms I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2024 3:57 AM

He wasn't beloved. I hated his Mork Character.

by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2024 3:59 AM

^^ Billy Crystal called him "Opera Gloves"

by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2024 3:59 AM

When his death is brought up it makes me think of Joan Rivers. He and Joan died within a month of each other. Both great losses as far as I'm concerned. I thought they were both comedic geniuses each in their own unique way.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2024 4:04 AM

[quote] Good Will Hunting (his only serious role). Yes R6, Awakenings, One Hour Photo and The World According to Garp were uproarious comedies.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2024 4:33 AM

[quote] Good Will Hunting (his only serious role).

Yes [R6], Awakenings, One Hour Photo and The World According to Garp were uproarious comedies

^^fixed fornatting^^

by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2024 4:35 AM

I miss both Robin Williams and George Carlin 😢

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2024 4:44 AM

I've hated Robin Williams my whole life, R12. Obnoxious. Unfunny. Makes me physically cringe. Except for Mrs. Doubtfire. And his Genie was the worst part of Aladdin. (Broadway Genie is so much better.)

I admit that most people claim to like him tho.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2024 4:50 AM

I thought his stream of consciousness type of humor was good and he was entertaining, but I felt his dramatic work was underwhelming and frankly not that good. It consisted of him doing A weird thing with his lips where they almost disappeared. That being said, by all accounts he was generous and contrary to upthread he was beloved in his prime. His death was shocking to many, including me.

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2024 4:52 AM

Robin was known to steal jokes from other comics for years.

Some comedy clubs would have a "red light" (or some other color) come on when another joke stealing comic (a.k.a. lazy &/or unimaginative) came into the room/theatre.

This allowed the comedian on stage to change to some older jokes so the fresh material wouldn't be stolen & used for the thief's own personal gain or worse their own comedy special on tv. They could then take their fresh material on the road & make money off of their OWN material without worrying about the thieves.

The "red light" came on all the time for Robin Williams. When comics confronted him later he'd just throw a $20 or a $50 & at them & just walk off.

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2024 4:56 AM

I always liked this line about him:

He had the hairiest hands, and the warmest heart.

I saw him live back in the 80s and was not a fan of his very manic comedy, at that time at least. But I loved his film performances (especially America's Greatest Dad, which is a kind of yin to Dead Poet Society's yang ) and he struck me as a genuinely kind soul.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2024 5:21 AM

It is possible to dislike a comedian’s persona. It’s a matter of taste and the more extreme the persona, the greater the divide between those who appreciate it and those who detest it. Robin Williams falls into that group, along with Jim Carrey, Jack Black, Jonathan Winters and many more. They might be great people, but their manic performances can grate on the nerves.

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2024 1:16 PM

R11- That is just how I would describe Jim Carrey.

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2024 1:18 PM

I visited Sausalito on a potted tour when I was once in San Fran with my niece. The tour guide was an old stoner who lived there and in SF for decades.

He told us a bittersweet tale of being a young guy running a boat back and forth between SF and Sausalito, and having a bunch of friends who would hang out on his boat and get high, including Robin Williams. He was very close with Willians by his account.

He said once Robin got famous he was cheering him on, but he saw Williams in Sausalito and approached him smiling to shake his hand, but after making eye contact and registering the face, Williams turned away and ignored him. That story altered my opinion of Williams forever.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2024 1:25 PM

I loved Robin Williams too. Die haters.

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2024 1:54 PM

He supported (financially) Christopher Reeve after he was paralyzed. They were roommates in college and remained close friends until Reeve's death.

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2024 2:06 PM

Jim Carrey is much more talented than Robin. He is a better actor and his comedic roles are much funnier. Robin was actually quite limited in what he could do comedically and dramatically. Carrey's range is unlimited.

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2024 2:26 PM

^ Robin Williams carried a hit movie in old lady drag. That takes a bit of talent

by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2024 3:19 PM

He could be over the top sometimes, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of his film work. But his personal life was a tad messy. But then whose isn’t?

by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2024 3:23 PM

I hated Robin Williams and his whole gamut of playing cards from simpering to manic to sympathy whore. His improvisational stuff was torture to endure, and his serious roles no less.

R8 got it right.

I forget who twisted my arm enough to see 'One Hour Photo" against all my better judgment, but If I could remember who, I wouldn't forgive him.

by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2024 3:26 PM

I think he was on fairly decent career path in the movies. Garp through Good Will Hunting were perfect fits for his skill set. Or maybe he actually listened to his directors. The universally reviled panned Patch Adams, where he essentially played the role as himself as a doctor, started a bit of a decline for him, where viewers saw Robin Williams as himself and not the character. Critics bitched about that. Maybe he needed to dress in drag to get away from that.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2024 3:34 PM

No mention of Bicentennial man that was good.

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2024 3:37 PM

He makes me incredibly anxious, especially when he is manic on talk shows trying really hard to make everyone laugh.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2024 3:47 PM

Robin Williams was a stupid person’s idea of a manic comedian.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2024 3:58 PM

R35. Me too. And the cocaine sweat made it worse. On him. Not me.

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2024 3:59 PM

Always found him unendurable. He was always "ON".

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2024 4:00 PM

This is about as good as it gets. You either get it or you don't. I'm glad I do 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2024 4:13 PM

Sad to know that all his hyper-on "happy" was really a cover for a very unhappy, depressed man😢 I read somewhere that most comedians are unhappy people and some of the best actors of all.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2024 4:18 PM

The sort of depression he dealt with at the end of his life was different than 'regular' depression; he had a complex, devastating neurological condition and his family later said even experts were taken aback by how ravaged his brain was by Lewy bodies.

His death wasn't a tears behind the laughter scenario, he was being robbed of his sanity and physical health by a disease that would've otherwise killed him quite painfully within just a few short years.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2024 4:35 PM

R41, he suffered major depression for years before his Lewy diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote]he suffered major depression for years before his Lewy diagnosis.

Yes, and his LBD symptoms were markedly different (and worse) than the depression that came before it. His wife wrote about it for a neurology journal several years ago, but it's a familiar story to anyone who has dealt with the disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2024 5:31 PM

I believe it was a combination of the two. To say it was all Lewy, given his long emotional/mental history, is to be in denial.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2024 5:42 PM

Remind me of the Oscar Jim Carrey won or the nominations he got R29? Oh, that’s right he doesn’t have any.

Robin had four, including lead actor nominations, and won an Oscar for supporting in Good Will Hunting. Jim Carrey will never get an Oscar.

Remind me where Jim Carrey went to school? It wasn’t Juilliard- one of the hardest arts institutes in the world to be accepted to -that’s for sure. But Robin was accepted and went there.

I mean, I could go on, but I won’t. There is no equivalence between Robin and Jim Carrey, certainly not in terms of talent or range or ability.

by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2024 5:55 PM

His 2002 Live On Broadway Show was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2024 5:57 PM

Don't forget his role in "Insomnia."

He wasn't PC and I loved that about him.

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2024 7:24 PM

R45, The Mask alone washes anything Robin ever did and you know that. Ace Ventura and Dumb & Dumber are also funnier than any of Robin's movies. Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show are better dramatic performances than Robin's.

Unlike Robin, Carrey was never well-liked in Hollywood and refused to play the award show game. He should have gotten nominations for Truman and The Mask, but was snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 48May 10, 2024 7:47 PM

Birdcage was a great ensemble movie and Robin was great

by Anonymousreply 49May 10, 2024 7:48 PM

Loved him in the Birdcage. His best role IMO.

by Anonymousreply 50May 10, 2024 7:52 PM

I hated BIRDCAGE, but not because of Robin, it was Nathan Lane.

by Anonymousreply 51May 10, 2024 7:54 PM

[quote]The Mask alone washes anything Robin ever did and you know that. Ace Ventura and Dumb & Dumber are also funnier than any of Robin's movies.

The fact that you liked those movies tells me everything I need to know about you, R48.

I would never waste my beautiful mind on such dreck.

by Anonymousreply 52May 10, 2024 8:09 PM

R52, You are loud and wrong!

by Anonymousreply 53May 10, 2024 8:47 PM

We lost three really troubled comedic souls in 2014.

While I wasn’t Robin’s biggest fan, he was such a constant presence from my childhood.

Joan Rivers made me laugh so hard. She had such a wonderful twinkle in her eyes.

Jan Hooks. Still upsets me to this day.

by Anonymousreply 54May 10, 2024 8:53 PM

Why the weird competition between Carrey and Williams? Does it have to be one or the other? You can love both/ hate both or like one over the other, but this is not Bette Davis/Joan Crawford...

Oh, wait 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 10, 2024 9:06 PM

This is so wonderful 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 10, 2024 9:10 PM

Poor Robin.

by Anonymousreply 57May 10, 2024 9:25 PM

I wonder if Adderall will be a risk factor for these types of diseases like coke and that Rx speed of of the 50s-70s is?

by Anonymousreply 58May 10, 2024 9:29 PM

I've always liked Robin Williams but they were times I found him a bit obnoxious and tired. But I can watch a lot of movies he's in over and over like I've seen this doubtfire I don't know how many times not just because of him but also just because Sally Field is just such a lovely person to watch. But there was a minute where I was just over Robin Williams and his need for attention but it was a passing feeling.

by Anonymousreply 59May 10, 2024 9:49 PM

He was great in Awakenings.

by Anonymousreply 60May 10, 2024 10:35 PM

[quote]This is about as good as it gets.

[quote]You either get it or you don't.

It just occurred to me that I can't recall ever agreeing with the words that followed either of these observations.

The clip at R39 was excruciating.

And The Birdcage?. Fucking hell, everything about that film was cringe-inducingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 61May 10, 2024 11:05 PM

r61

by Anonymousreply 62May 10, 2024 11:06 PM

^ You can't recall anything except where you keep the vodka you drunken old queen

by Anonymousreply 63May 10, 2024 11:09 PM

r63

by Anonymousreply 64May 10, 2024 11:14 PM

^ Hi, you pathetic stalker... Have another drink fatboy

by Anonymousreply 65May 10, 2024 11:19 PM

R63 and R65 - You're both drunks and it's OK - live and letsh livsh!🍸🍸

by Anonymousreply 66May 10, 2024 11:45 PM

R65 r66

by Anonymousreply 67May 10, 2024 11:48 PM

@r66, Fuck you, cumstain

by Anonymousreply 68May 11, 2024 12:01 AM

The man was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 69May 11, 2024 12:05 AM

I thought he was great in Good Morning Vietnam.

I think he had a hard life because he had to live in his own head and couldn't get away from it.

by Anonymousreply 70May 11, 2024 12:10 AM

Matter of taste. Some people absolutely loathe Jim Carrey's work. I've always enjoyed both of them, though comment by R22 about Robin Williams stealing other comedians' jokes is apparently true. I remember an old SF radio show that featured local comedians where they talked about Robin stealing other comedians' jokes.

by Anonymousreply 71May 11, 2024 12:10 AM

I'd be interested in how taste in comedians changes by generation. I always liked Robin Williams' humor, ever since his first guest appearance on Happy Days, then on Mork. His early work was brilliant. But I never could tolerate Jim Carrey's slapstick mugging and Joan falls into that camp of female comedians who feel they must to be loud to be funny.

Robin made people more aware of LBD, albeit after he passed. When my older brother was diagnosed with LBD, no one knew what it was until you said "It's what Robin Williams had". My brother feels it's one of the slowest, cruelest ways to die as there's not much to be done to prevent the disease from progressing. (So cut Robin some slack for taking matters into his own hands.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 11, 2024 1:26 AM

Adderall is speed. Dextroamphetamine. I’ve been on it for years.

by Anonymousreply 73May 11, 2024 2:16 AM

I hate about half his body of work but love the other half. Liked him a lot playing Oliver Sacks in Awakenings. And it seemed to open the door for gay icon Oliver Sacks to open up more.

by Anonymousreply 74May 11, 2024 3:24 AM

R17/18....don't forget that knee-slapper, Dead Poets Society.

by Anonymousreply 75May 11, 2024 3:34 AM

Much hotter with a mustache.

by Anonymousreply 76May 11, 2024 3:47 AM

He seemed to have a lot of hang ups, especially that last one……..

by Anonymousreply 77May 11, 2024 3:54 AM

^ Joan, can you hold perfectly still while I take a selfie?... Joan?... JOAN!

by Anonymousreply 78May 11, 2024 4:23 AM

R77 is brilliant! I laughed for nearly two minutes straight. This is the type of irreverence that keeps me coming back to DL.

by Anonymousreply 79May 11, 2024 6:41 AM

Well, in way.....Joan committed suicide, too, with her stupid (dare I say, "retarded") need for more & more plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 80May 11, 2024 6:53 AM

R80 She died from gross malpractice during a medical procedure related to her vocal cords, not plastic surgery. Perhaps before you share any more bon mots, you should do research to make sure they are both factual and funny.

by Anonymousreply 81May 11, 2024 7:38 AM

lol at R48. No, to everything you said. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 82May 11, 2024 12:36 PM

R9 spent seven hours punching the W&W for herself.

Here's to her achieving her own Lewy body dementia.

by Anonymousreply 83May 12, 2024 11:25 PM

I saw a filming of M & M in the early ‘80s with my friend who was a massive fan of his, and a guy on the crew introduced us to him. He was warm and friendly, and during one of his takes, he incorporated a cringy pun about the obscure little town my friend was living in at the time. I’m not sure if It was a shout-out to her, or an example of his sponge-like brain in action. Regardless, the joke was too obscure and ended up on the cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 84May 12, 2024 11:40 PM

R83 Haha! I was thinking that myself. I KNOW there’s not that much of a RW fan base on DL.

by Anonymousreply 85May 12, 2024 11:48 PM

He (and Sally Field) was one of my pet peeves. He was both horribly earnest and fake, cringe overacting. Now i realizw that he was infact faking and was truly unhappy and depressed and feel sorry for him.

by Anonymousreply 86May 12, 2024 11:54 PM

Lol at R86. What exactly do you think actors do? He lied for a living because he’s ACTING.

Some of you are so disconnected from reality I wonder how you get through the day.

by Anonymousreply 87May 12, 2024 11:59 PM

My bad - the obscure pun DID make it into the episode (“The Mork Report”) during a scene when he’s dressed as foliage and doing his evangelist preacher schtick. It was at the time of his peak cocaine use, so it all makes sense now.

by Anonymousreply 88May 13, 2024 12:17 AM

He made me laugh many, many times. On Carson, Johnny would sit back and let him rip. I miss both those guys, they had quick wit.

by Anonymousreply 89May 13, 2024 12:37 AM

I actually saw Mrs. Doubtfire being filmed in San Francisco. I was walking around the neighborhood and saw all the commotion and asked the crew what they were filming and they told me it was a Robin Williams and Sally Field movie. I got to watch Sally Field drive up to the house and do her scene during the birthday party.

by Anonymousreply 90May 13, 2024 12:47 AM

I never liked him and thought I was the only one.

by Anonymousreply 91May 13, 2024 12:56 AM

I like him as a dramatic actor in roles that reveal his dark side, but hate his frenetic comedy and its corny stereotypes of gay and Black people, among others. He lifted that style from Jonathan Winters who also portrayed swishy gays and gibberish-speaking Africans shooting blow-darts. Williams was also a mental hoarder, as I describe in R84, so I’m not surprised about the joke theft accusations.

by Anonymousreply 92May 13, 2024 1:16 AM

Jonathan Winters, there's another whose "comic genius" was neither, R92.

Sometimes things are funny not for the inherent humor of message or a moment of realization or some sort of spark, but instead are funny only for the insane amount of effort invested in the delivery. It's the disparity between eagerness/effort and falling so short of delivering anything that generates a nervous sort of laughter. Williams and Winters were alike in that if I laughed at all, it was for their leaden and relentless eagerness, not for anything they said being funny.

by Anonymousreply 93May 13, 2024 8:33 AM

I would have fucked him so passionately. I could have saved him 😩

Any bi rumours? I feel like that kind of zaniness is often a sign of biness

by Anonymousreply 94May 13, 2024 8:42 AM

Sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 13, 2024 8:45 AM

b east

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 13, 2024 8:45 AM

On the subject of Robin Williams. I've always wondered, how Robert Deniro and he felt about John Belushi’s overdose. Since they partied together on that night but left him.

by Anonymousreply 97May 13, 2024 9:17 AM

R94 Sorry, but he was a total pussy hound who pursued porn actresses, cocktail waitresses, and even his kid’s nanny whom he ended up marrying. I never heard any rumors of him taking an interest in or hooking up with dudes.

by Anonymousreply 98May 13, 2024 9:40 AM

R81 stretches the limits of sarcasm by referring to R80's statement as a bon mot.

by Anonymousreply 99May 13, 2024 12:40 PM

And

[italic]bon mots[/italic]

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 100May 13, 2024 12:53 PM

R32- I never cared for Robin Williams SHTICK but I reserve my real venom for that closeted clown 🤡

Tom Hanks who’s humble about the talent he doesn’t even have.

by Anonymousreply 101May 13, 2024 12:56 PM

I'm unloved and unfuckable and always will be!

by Anonymousreply 102May 13, 2024 12:58 PM

[quote] Unlike Robin, Carrey was never well-liked in Hollywood and refused to play the award show game.

Jim Carrey was begging to be nominated for The Truman Show.

I think he eventually gave up on his Oscar dreams.

by Anonymousreply 103May 13, 2024 4:00 PM

He should have been nominated for The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 104May 13, 2024 5:05 PM

Louie is such a nice friendly name, how bad could it be?

by Anonymousreply 105May 13, 2024 5:09 PM

[quote] I miss both those guys, they had quick wit.

Yeah, R89, I know the feeling. I used to come to DL because many gay men also had a quick wit.

Alas, they seem to have flown the coop, which leaves only the true bitches doing their pointless bitchery.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 106May 13, 2024 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!