Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dietary sodium guidelines

I’m having some symptoms that make me need to pay more attention to sodium in my diet.

Guidelines say keep sodium under 2000 mg per day.

Most of the foods I typically have for lunch are too high in sodium. Does anyone have any low sodium lunch suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 10:06 PM

Good morning Homie, what do u eat for lunch?

Everything pre-packaged is loaded with sodium!

Confess.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2024 3:19 PM

Whole foods are generally best. So a salad is a lot better than a sandwich for instance.

Pretty much anything processed will have added salt, so it's always better to eat food that's as close to the original as possible.

I always used to get a sandwich and crisps (potato chips) as a quick lunch when in the office, but now I have a salad with some fruit. So much healthier, tastier and a lot less salt.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2024 3:20 PM

I have the same problem. I had a very mild stroke 20 years ago that caused me to wake up and pay attention.

Now, I monitor all the salt I eat and keep it below 2000mg. That makes restaurant visits rare because I would be cheating. Parties are a problem too, but I manage.

Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2024 3:21 PM

Most of the time I’d eat soups from TJs or a sandwich with chicken salad, but both the bread and the prepared chicken salad are pretty high in sodium. I don’t like to cook (actually more accurate to say I don’t enjoy shopping for ingredients), so I tend to rely on pre-packaged food and restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2024 3:24 PM

Salad dressing can be loaded with salt, R2.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2024 3:24 PM

In addition to the high sodium in prepared meals, my go to snack to stay away from carbs has been nuts. I get the low sodium options, but I guess I need to go unsalted. Of course, the salt is a big part of what makes the nuts appealing.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2024 3:28 PM

I’d also hav a couple of slices of Canadian bacon with eggs for breakfast a few times a week, but two slices of Canadian bacon is 500mg.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 3:30 PM

R5 That's very true. I don't add dressing, as I don't like the taste of many dressings. Also it feels like you're ruining the healthiness of a salad by covering it in something unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2024 3:32 PM

Prepared foods have high sodium.

Most restaurants use a lot of salt.

You need to eat more fresh foods and prepare them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2024 3:33 PM

Cut down on your Lunchables.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2024 3:36 PM

Water is a low sodium option.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2024 4:07 PM

Water isn’t food.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2024 4:09 PM

OP can still have salad dressing but shouldn't drown his salad in it.

Put 2 tablespoons (the serving size) into a bowl or plate and dip each forkfull in it. That way, you'll get salad dressing with each bite, which is the ultimate goal anyway.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2024 4:13 PM

Make something yourself. Things like chickpea salad cheap and easy, and will give you multiple servings and keep in the refrigerator long enough that you won't have to eat the same thing everyday.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 4:22 PM

Greg!

I need a recipe for chickpea salad.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2024 6:14 PM

[quote]OP can still have salad dressing but shouldn't drown his salad in it.

Make your own dressing and you don't need to put any salt in it. I use oil and vinegar with some herbs or a Mrs. Dash blend.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2024 6:34 PM

Greg?

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2024 2:08 PM

Yes, R17?

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2024 8:44 PM

[quote] Greg! I need a recipe for chickpea salad.

R15, let me see what I have.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2024 8:46 PM

Stop using all table salt

Get fanatical with watching sodium amounts in food and read food labels like the Bible

Ruin holiday recipes shared with family, refusing to add salt to recipes. No salt on holiday turkey or ham

Only buy disgusting no yolk noodles for your. Holiday dishes

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2024 9:08 PM

I don’t use any table salt.

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2024 11:00 PM

I’ll beat your ass if I catch you with that salt shaker

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2024 12:40 AM

I don’t even own any table salt or a salt shaker.

I do have a box of Kosher salt that I use for cooking.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2024 3:25 PM

Greg!

It’s almost lunchtime!

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote] Greg! It’s almost lunchtime!

As you’ve said, I’m restraining myself out of spite.

Didn’t you say that?

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2024 9:39 PM

It sounds like something I might have said once in another thread some time ago as a joke, but if I did, that means you are searching into my posting history before sharing a recipe?

That is not the behavior of a healthy mind.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 9:45 PM

[quote] That is not the behavior of a healthy mind.

No, I wouldn’t say so.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 10:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!