Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Aaron Taylor Johnson opts for 28 Years Later - has he ditched Bond?

It seems like there was a concerted effort to get Johnson to accept the offer the Broccolis presented, even recruiting former Bonds to praise his casting, and he has chosen to commit to a different film instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2024 1:41 PM

Really hope so.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2024 9:11 PM

I don't think he'd be a good Bond. I don't know why folks are pushing it so hard.

Frankly, other than Kick-Ass, I haven't found him to be particularly engaging. He was awful in Anna Karenina, meh as a superhero in Age of Ultron (who did he blow to get Kraven), passable in A Million Little Pieces (mostly due to the nude scenes).

Why do folks think he'd make for a charismatic Bond. (Cavill would be awful, as well).

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2024 9:29 PM

It’s going to be a trilogy? Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2024 9:30 PM

R3 Cause that worked so well for the Mission Impossible films.....

He comes across like a chav who should be making films for Triga. Would be far more interesting than his fucking acting jobs.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2024 9:32 PM

James Norton from “McMafia” should be Bond. My first choice was Idris Elba but they stalled him out until he got too old.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2024 9:36 PM

They didn’t “stall him out.” Craig agreed to stay.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2024 9:49 PM

His dick would feed a zombie for a week.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2024 10:21 PM

The Bond thing was an "insider" rumor that has still not been verified, even though it is now months later.

And, even if his selection as Bond were true, starring in 28 Years Later would hardly preclude doing it. The zombie flick already has a script, director, and stars attached and is gearing up for production. Bond is a long way off from that.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2024 10:33 PM

James Norton for Bond.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2024 10:41 PM

Except that: “Deadline recently broke the news that the studio has already tapped Candyman director Nia DaCosta to helm the second part of the trilogy, and that the plan is to shoot both films back to back.”

So assuming he is not killed off in the first film, he made a two film commitment which, assuming a summer or early fall start date, would occupy him half a year, plus reshoots. Then he has to commit to promoting the films.

This is not a deal he would have signed if he was going to be Bond.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2024 10:44 PM

He's enormously sexually attractive, but I think there's more to James Bond than just that. I've yet to see him be able to carry a movie--despite his beauty, he doesn't have a lot of charisma.

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2024 10:48 PM

R11 He is a chav.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2024 11:26 PM

The studio leak different names every so often to keep the buzz and anticipation up and get people discussing it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2024 11:28 PM

Aidan Turner has really become my first choice for the next Bond.

If they insist on a non-white guy, my top pick is now David Ajala.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 1:50 AM

28 Years Later will open June 2025, virtually ensuring Taylor Johnson won’t be able to film a Bond movie between the back to back filming if two 28 films snd promoting the first one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2024 2:43 AM

Him being the next Bond was entirely the work of his publicist. He never had the role. It’s a pretty old PR trick….

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2024 2:45 AM

No the Broccolis absolutely wanted him but they either changed their terms when a formal offer was made or he decided he had different priorities. Such a huge show was made of it with the Broccolis getting former Bonds to give their approval.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2024 11:37 AM

Johnson was even included on the Vanity Fair Hollywood issue two years despite him being the odd man out having been established in movies for over a decade while everyone else was a rising star.

He was given an informal Bond offer two or three years ago with the official offer being pushed back because No Time to Die was pushed back because of the pandemic. The official offer came with a planned publicity push including UK GQ’s cover as “Britain’s Next Big Star” just last month. But something changed and he walked away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2024 11:43 AM

And here is probably what changed.

Amazon now owns 50% of Bond. The Broccolis own the other half. This closed in March 2022.

Amazon may have demanded Johnson agree to a Bond television series with Prime. Or more likely, Amazon may now be insisting on a tiny theatrical window - Challengers went from theaters to VOD in three weeks. They may even want to put it free for Prime customers after a month like Saltburn. Those would be the terms where Johnson, who is no dummy as his longevity since child actor shows, would have been correct to walk away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2024 12:00 PM

Johnson can't fix his voice and his voice is NOT BOND. I'm sure the offer was made but I'm glad it hasn't worked out so far.

I think they should return to a TALLER Bond and please, a deep sexy voice.

by Anonymousreply 20May 11, 2024 12:13 PM

He is in no position to "ditch" Bond. They threw his name out there and it came flying back in their faces. He has zero "IT" factor. Will never be a true movie star. NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2024 12:24 PM

Their taking so long to announce the next Bond, they've been teasing it forever, that I think k a lot of people have gotten bored and list interest.

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2024 12:31 PM

r12 I thought he was from a wealthy area?

by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2024 12:33 PM

r22 lost interest not list!!

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2024 12:33 PM

[quote]I don't think he'd be a good Bond.

Well if you don't think he'd be a good Bond, then there is no need for any further discussion in the matter. R2 has spoken, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2024 12:34 PM

ATJ doesn’t have the correct face for Bond. It’s not striking enough. Very evident in the side by side with Brosnan. ATJ you hire for body, not face.

Bridgerton actor Luke Newton has the correct Bond look but he’s probably too young.

It needs to read cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2024 12:34 PM

ATJ is in no position to ditch anything. He takes what he can get. An also ran sequel of a twenty year old movie which will most likely barely make an impression is not Bond. The pr gurls here working over time for this never was and never will be need to calm down.

by Anonymousreply 27May 11, 2024 12:42 PM

There are no PR girls here. This site only has like 400 users.

by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2024 1:06 PM

There are definitely PR gurls here

by Anonymousreply 29May 11, 2024 1:09 PM

Then they’re wasting their time and money.

by Anonymousreply 30May 11, 2024 1:31 PM

The voice alone should disqualify him from any Bond consideration. Add to that the fact that the man has no screen charisma.

by Anonymousreply 31May 11, 2024 9:11 PM

[quote] This is not a deal he would have signed if he was going to be Bond.

You're insane. Bond won't start shooting until late 2024-late 2025. Plenty of time for Aaron to squeeze a zombie movie in between.

[quote] ATJ doesn’t have the correct face for Bond. It’s not striking enough.

And this guy did?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 11, 2024 9:24 PM

What exactly is “Bond face”?

by Anonymousreply 33May 11, 2024 9:45 PM

Yes Daniel Craig has the correct face for Bond. Cold.

And Taylor Johnson would not be able to shoot a Bond movie until late summer 2025. He has to shoot 2 back to back movies, then promote Kraven, then be available for reshoots, then promote the first film. It would be unlikely he would have made this commitment if he was still interested in the role, because presumably Amazon wants a Bond movie sooner than later. As it us now it’s unlikely there will be a Bond movie until Christmas 25 earliest; if Johnson can’t start shooting until late Summer 25 that would mean a Bond wouldn’t be released until Christmas 26 the earliest.

by Anonymousreply 34May 11, 2024 9:57 PM

Where does it say Aaron is shooting 2 zombie movies? Yes, they've announced that two will be filmed back-to-back, but I haven't seen any mention that all of the cast for the first will be in the second.

It's a zombie movie. People tend to die.

by Anonymousreply 35May 11, 2024 11:10 PM

He's not going to be Bond. Barbara will find someone else. The Kraven movie is probably going to flop, which will hurt his chances.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2024 2:14 AM

I have a hard time buying someone who plays a superhero as Bond. Superhero films ruin the actors for me, like tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2024 6:07 AM

He did not play a superhero.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2024 10:59 AM

Aidan Turner would be excellent as Bond. He’s dark and brooding like Connery plus witty and engaging. Could do it in his natural Irish accent but his posh English accent is great too.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2024 11:05 AM

ATJ isn’t suave. He is common. Lacks class. Doesn’t come off intelligent either. Despite all of this, I would do everything sexual with him if I had the chance and I am jealous of his old lady.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2024 12:44 PM

Aidan Turner needs a jaw implant.

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2024 2:59 AM

What about Jack O’Connell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2024 3:14 AM

Robert Pattinson might be an edgy bond.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2024 9:48 AM

He has all the charm and sex appeal of a Taylor Swift boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2024 9:55 AM

Please let this true. Who wants James Bond to sound like a cross between David Beckham and Frank Spencer?

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2024 9:59 AM

He’s on the cover of the new GQ Mexico

This was supposed to be part of the big rollout for him announced as Bond. Fall Guy opened May 2 in Mexico like everywhere else.

“The big year of Aaron Taylor Johnson”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2024 4:34 PM

He has the exact same facial expression in every photoshoot.

[quote]This was supposed to be part of the big rollout for him announced as Bond.

So why didn't it happen? Broccoli got cold feet at the last minute?

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2024 4:38 PM

r10, I've worked with plenty of actors who have to be scheduled around their press on other commitments all the time during working on our productions.

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2024 4:46 PM

r14, I'd rather have Sope Dirisu, from Gangs of London.

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2024 4:50 PM

r38m he played Kick Ass and Kraven. That's TWO superheroes.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2024 4:55 PM

Kraven is not a superhero.

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2024 5:03 PM

If he did accept and then changed his mind, the only reason i could think of for him doing that would be because Barbara Broccoli did not guarantee his hagged-out wife would be the director of the Bond films. He loves making her awful films because he is so dependent on her.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2024 5:08 PM

He puts the “Johnson” in Taylor-Johnson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2024 5:19 PM

One of the things that most impresses me about him physically is that he is tall and yet he can do full body flips pretty easily, which he loves to show off. I find that so much more cool than making ridiculous kung fu moves like Ryan Phillippe,. Very few men (especially of ATJ's size) can execute a full standing body flip.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2024 5:35 PM

This guy will be the next Bond. You heard it here first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2024 5:49 PM

Meh, the same thing happened to me!

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2024 5:50 PM

I am positive that if he dropped the role it’s because Amazon (now owners of half of Bond) started demanding things. Like maybe they insist on Bond going day and date in theaters and Prime, which would be a huge insult. Or maybe they don’t even want Bond in theaters anymore.

ATJ is really a very malleable Hollywood whore, it would have had to be something very significant that would make him drop out. He would not suddenly go Mo’nique and let the spouse start making his decisions for him. So I think it has to do with theatrical wide releases with long windows being removed from the equation.

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2024 5:59 PM

He’s doing a new film with Theo James

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2024 7:37 PM

he's too masc in a warrior/barbarian way to be bond. bond is slick, not a ufc heavyweight.

by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2024 8:12 PM

OMG he’s on the cover of GQ Spain too

This was a huge international rollout for his Bond casting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2024 1:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!