Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jerrod Carmichael Reality Show

Is anyone watching this on HBO? Jerrod is definitely not without his flaws. I do find it to be real, and honest. I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2024 1:20 PM

All I know is, he was woeful in Poor Things, only bad performance in that movie. Distractingly bad. No idea what went wrong, maybe acting just isn't his thing.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2024 7:16 PM

There's only *one* Jerry Carmichael!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2024 7:20 PM

It seems to shape up to be too real for me. I don't think he looks good in that show. He seems to have a couple chips on his shoulder that makes him make some questionable choices.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 3:00 AM

As R1 observed, I can only hope it’s better than his performance in that film. He was abysmal. I need an edit where his entire character is fully eliminated from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 3:03 AM

The show is cringe-inducing but I can’t look away. I guess I admire his willingness to be an asshole for the world to see.

I enjoyed his NBC sitcom and I thought the comedy special in which he came out was pretty stunning but, yes, he was painfully bad in Poor Things.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2024 3:08 AM

I found it to be way too contrived.

Sure, all "reality" shows are phony and setup but this one seems to be more so. Super melodramatic.

But I do like Jerrod Carmichael as a comedian.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2024 6:50 AM

I only know of him through entertainment news and have never seen any of his work. Apparently his comedy is quite revealing about potentially embarrassing things from his personal life, which is leading some to speculate that he has a humiliation fetish. I think that's an interesting concept, like a foot fetishist becoming a podiatrist. If you have an obsession, you might as well get paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2024 5:38 PM

It’s amazing the people that become famous now. He has such a lazy, boring energy. Bizarr-O world.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2024 3:50 AM

After watching a handful of episodes, I like him less. That can't be good, right? I think he's both talented and immature and possibly a narcissist, but I do acknowledge the situation with his mother and father is rough.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2024 4:00 AM

Maybe a sociopath? R9

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2024 4:09 AM

I’ve never laughed at his jokes once. I just don’t get him. Doesn’t seem like his crowds laugh much either, more rolling giggles, his style is a low-energy Andy Kaufman performance art vibe.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2024 4:13 AM

I only made it 30 minutes. I enjoyed his sitcom that got canceled.

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2024 5:12 AM

It's stunning to me how last year no one called out the loud and smelly fart in the world of cinema that was Jerrod Carmichael's performance in POOR THINGS.

He was ghastly, a shambolic embarrassment. The fact that he was surrounded by amazing performances by everyone else made him look all the worse. And I mean everyone. That cast was sensational.

And yet, nary a film-loving soul on Twitter (I will never call it its new stupid name) dared speak this truth. Why? Because Carmichael is a POC.

If a POC can't be called out for their shit-stained performance in an Oscar-winning film simply because of their skin color, film criticism and discussions become merely performative. And then what's left?

Not much.

I liked the special Carmichael won the Emmy for, so he's not without talent. But he's not an actor. And he should have been called out for his suck-ass presence in POOR THINGS.

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2024 6:05 AM

I just finished watching the show and it is rough. This is a reality show like none other. It goes beyond TMI with the boyfriend. And I really hated his mother. He needs to let that (insert insult) go, what an ignorant and dreadful woman (at least the way she comes across).

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2024 7:44 AM

His mom is a real piece of work. His friend Jamar is not a funny standup, but I found him very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2024 8:44 PM

Plus, the mother is a fucking hypocrite. She hates the gay in him, but has no problem living in the house his gay ass paid for. I’d kick her dusty old cooter to the curb, if I were him.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2024 8:50 PM

He deserved a Razzie for Poor Things. Keep him away from movies.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2024 9:59 PM

R16 me too. And talk about a hypocrite. She stands by her man while he has another family.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2024 10:57 AM

Im just watching this now. He really comes off as a huge asshole. I cant believe he would want this put into the world unless like r7 mentions, he has a humiliation fetish. His boyfriend obviously does.

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2024 5:07 AM

I'm not going to watch it, but I love reading these takes from others.

by Anonymousreply 20June 14, 2024 5:14 AM

The odd thing is that he's like 15 years too late. He sort of comes across as like it's AMAZING that I'm coming out, but at this point it's really not.

by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2024 5:24 AM

The Carmichael Show was exceptional. It was an All in the Family for now, and NBC could have made it a hit if they had scheduled and promoted it properly, instead of relegating it to summers.

It was far better than Black-ish, which ABC pretended was a hit and renewed for eight seasons despite shitty ratings.

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2024 5:59 AM

I don't like his reality show and most of his stand up, but I agree with R22 that the Carmichael Show was really good and it's a shame it got canceled. Though I wouldn't say was "far better than Black-ish." Different vibes.

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2024 6:55 AM

I initially didn't like his stand-up, but I really enjoyed the last one "Rothaniel" a lot.

So I was looking forward to the reality show - but after a few episodes I ended up finding him too unlikable and gave up on it (and him).

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2024 8:51 AM

I had a very tough time with this series as well. The episode where he reveals that he cheats on his boyfriend regularly is difficult to get past. I ultimately settled on appreciating the rawness of his relationship with his mother despite the fact that he'll likely never reconcile with her. I felt for him, and I understand he's striving to be a better person, but honestly the boyfriend should just leave him at this point.

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2024 9:13 AM

R25 WHY would he leave? He gets to be on TV.

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2024 10:06 AM

Does Carmichael show any redeeming qualities in that reality show. Does the boyfriend say why he wants to be the boyfriend of such a troubled individual?

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2024 11:23 AM

I didn’t laugh once at his golden globes monologue.

by Anonymousreply 28June 14, 2024 11:51 AM

Lucille Ball once said of Lily Tomlin that she would find herself studying Lily instead of laughing at her schtick. I feel the same way about Jerrod. I wish him well, though.

by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2024 1:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!