Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Country Music sucks!

Lainey Wilson is particularly awful with her Pumpkin Spice hats and fake, affected cartoonish hick accent. Jelly Roll is fat, ugly and covered in tats, worst of all his voice sounds like he has a cheese grater stuck in his throat. I stopped listening back in the late 2000s. When did this happen? Who is signing these horrible artists?

Also, Lainey Wilson’s song at the link is a total knock off of Deana Carter’s 90s classic Strawberry Wine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2024 8:03 PM

The PR machine is pushing her hard.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2024 12:49 PM

How did this guy get a record contract???????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 12:52 PM

Why does she look so sour and angry in the redhead teen scenes?

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 1:04 PM

They all suck Trump cock.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 1:07 PM

R3 because casting across the board has been taken over by neurodivergent vocal fry gals. Also, Gen Z couldn’t act their way out of a wet paper sack.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 1:09 PM

Over on Reddit at the r/Celebwivesofnashville they say Lainey is a media creation that is being shoved down our throats by a PR machine.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 1:19 PM

I have never listened to country. But I've seen that repulsive Jellyroll creature. Is it true that he is an ex-drug dealer who married a whore? How did he go from drugs to music? Can someone link to his biggest hit?

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 1:28 PM

Country music is not benefiting from the hip hop exodus.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 1:31 PM

hip hop influence is all over male country music

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 1:42 PM

R8 he’s disgusting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 1:47 PM

Gays are definitely not the cultural gatekeepers anymore. These tacky people and ugly whales would never have made it in our heyday.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 1:48 PM

R11 The problem is that most gays in 2024 have the musical taste of a preteen girl

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 2:04 PM

R12 that’s because all the gays that died from AIDS never passed down taste to the next generation and the internet makes all the Zillenials think they know everything.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 2:10 PM

There is a new documentary on Hulu about Lainey’s “meteoric rise from small town to sold-out arena tours”. It’s really hilarious the PR that’s going into her, the Nashville girls on Reddit say that she’s all a PR creation because she only has like two songs that were minor hits and she’s only toured as a supporting act.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 3:53 PM

[quote] [R11] The problem is that most gays in 2024 have the musical taste of a preteen girl

When I see adult gay men who are Swifties I'm like "how did this happen?!" She is everything we would have shunned in the 70s, 80s and 90s. She is not Madonna, Cher, ONJ or Bette. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 4:06 PM

R10 I’m curious why this ugly fool with his face tats and hideous overly white meth veneers is constantly showing up in my news feeds. I don’t care about his weight but the entire sanctimonious embrace of country music of these hip hop performers just reeks of jumping ship before the scandals rock their former genre. You can count Post Malone in that crew, also.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 4:26 PM

I've never heard Lainey sing before. That's obviously an affectation she's doing to sound "country." The Autotune is also off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2024 7:19 PM

R17 that song is a ripoff too. I’m not sure when this laying it on thick thing happened but it’s probably insecurity because that way of life is dying, so it doesn’t happen organically anymore, so anyone acting like that is really fake. Due to the internet and social media etc the world is becoming pretty homogeneous, all cultures and identities are dying as we all become more the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2024 7:26 PM

Country music is horrible.

It’s so soulless and overproduced and basic.

The proof is in the country artists who left country or made non-country music to be able to experiment and be more lyrical or creative.

Steve Earle is a great example of that.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2024 7:29 PM

And I don’t like Taylor Swift too much but she’s another example of an artist who left country music simply to make better music.

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2024 7:31 PM

R19 you’re talking about mainstream pop-country

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2024 7:31 PM

R20 that’s your opinion. Country sometime after 9/11 did implement a rigid formula.

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2024 7:32 PM

For the most part, yes, OP, but there are some gems. Chris Stapleton is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2024 7:41 PM

R21 What else is there?

Bands who have roots in old school country are considered alternative / indie today. It’s not even music country fans would connect to or like.

Like Loretta Lynn’s “Van Lear Rose” was bought by indie / alternative fans cause Jack White produced it.

The more underground country still sounds like country music was invented in 2001 to me.

by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2024 7:49 PM

What are Pumpkin Spice hats?

by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2024 7:57 PM

I grew up listening to country music. I stopped listening to it in the mid 80s. My doctors office play country and while waiting I was horrified by what I was hearing. It's so dishonest now and it shows. Give me 'classic' country or bluegrass or Western swing any day of the week

by Anonymousreply 26June 7, 2024 7:59 PM

R15 “I’m like” literally

by Anonymousreply 27June 7, 2024 8:02 PM

R25 felt, flat brim hats that influencers wear

She’s leaning into this bohemian image hard and it’s going to be hard to pull out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 7, 2024 8:02 PM

I am in no way an expert in these things but wondering if R&b, 'soul' music also took a similar trajectory when country music changed. R&B and country have a lot in common (more than you might think)

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2024 8:03 PM

R28 I fucking hate that style, especially with the long hair extensions.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2024 8:07 PM

I blame Shania Twain.

by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2024 11:26 PM

R31 she really did open the door to wreck it with pop

Ultimately I blame Mutt, her husband

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2024 12:35 AM

Is this who Lara Trump was trying to emulate with her shitty cover of "Won't Back Down?"

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2024 12:37 AM

We agree—and the lack of blow-dried hair is disgraceful!

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2024 1:10 AM

Jason Aldean is a meat fart taken human form. And his wife looks cheap.

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2024 1:27 AM

R29 No because old school R&B (name any decade) is in style and popular.

It’s cool to make R&B and sound like a throwback to the 60’s or 70’s or 80’s or 90’s. And then you have your trap / modern rap inspired R&B. There’s different genres.

Country music all sounds like it was recorded in the 2000s. It’s one sound and all sounds the same. J can’t think of another genre that is so limited.

I’ll post a song off the top of my head. It was released a couple of years ago but a remix has recently revived it through TikTok. To give you an idea of what the kids are listening to today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2024 1:30 AM

R36 looked like a possessed demon in that music video. These kids need an Exorcist

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2024 1:34 AM

Country sucks. Hip Hip sucks.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2024 1:36 AM

Like the Luke Combs “Fast Car” cover. You could have told me that came out in 1998, 2008, or 2018 and I would have believed any year.

Even the way the music is mixed and mastered is generic. They use the same recording production as Kidz Bop or High School Musical and the way they auto tune vocals.

It’s so low-brow compared to even the crappiest pop song on the Top 40 radio or even hip-hop, which has more interesting production and technique and styles.

The production is designed for simple simple people. Trap music (the new sound of hip-hop) is for simple people but it’s also fairly new and can have its experimental moments.

Country isn’t experimental, it usually lightly incorporates dead trends from pop and hip-hop into songs years after they’ve become “safe” on Top 40. Like there’s country songs today that rip off Flo-Rida from 15 years ago. That’s how caught up they are.

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2024 1:47 AM

R37 He just seems stoned on the beach singing a love song. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2024 1:47 AM

Laney Wilson is a no-talent hillbilly.

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2024 2:02 AM

[quote]Like the Luke Combs “Fast Car” cover. You could have told me that came out in 1998, 2008, or 2018 and I would have believed any year.

What stood out in that was the songwriting talent of Tracy Chapman. Forty years on and the song still is genius.

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2024 4:18 AM

R41 she’s a ridiculous performer. Unbelievable she won the Entertainer of the Year award. No headline tour yet even.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2024 3:04 PM

She really fucking sucks. That fake twangy style of singing is the absolute worst.

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2024 6:35 PM

Her acceptance speech was really embarrassing: "Oh, I'm just a lowly little farm girl.."

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2024 6:38 PM

She now has a major bar in Nashville called Bell Bottoms Up. I’m a NYer in Nashville this weekend for CMA Fest. Ask me anything.

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2024 6:39 PM

Listen to Americana or “alternative country.” Jason Isbell is the best songwriter of the past 10 years. Go to Spotify or Apple Music and get a playlist.

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2024 6:44 PM

Lainey Wilson now has her own four story bar in Nashville called Bell Bottoms Up. Nice place.

NYer here visiting Nashville for the four day extravaganza called CMA Feet. I’ve seen everyone from Dolly to Jelly Roll to Shaboozey in four short days.

Fun time and fun crowd. Ask me anything.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2024 7:13 PM

Post Malone & Morgan Wallen -- whooda thunk?

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2024 7:15 PM

Even old backwoods crones have caught on to Laney's "pumpkin spice" look.

Very stylish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2024 8:03 PM

Pumpkin Spice Cowgirl

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2024 8:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!