Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clothing advice for the terminally fashion-challenged.

When asked what to wear, someone always says to dress age-appropriately. What does that mean for a 65-year old kinda schlubbly guy?

For example, my 15-year old cargo shorts are finally wearing out. I need summer wear I can use for travel or around town. What do I look for (and where)?

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2024 3:55 AM

Wear what makes you feel comfortable. The people who would judge you will also condemn wearing white after Labor Day. Check out some thrift stores in your area. You might find things you like dirt cheap. It beats the hell out of buying new summer clothes at the stores now.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2024 11:30 PM

White or grey t-shirts, blue or beige (not cargo) shorts if you must have them, blue or white shirts. No sandals or flip flos unless you go to the beach. A cardigan.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2024 11:31 PM

Definitely NOT cargo shorts. Those shouldn't be worn even by 20-year-olds, let alone 65. What you should wear depends at least somewhat on your weight, but it's difficult to go wrong – at any age – with jeans and a polo shirt, and nowadays you can get jeans with a bit of stretch to them, so they don't sag in the ass. People wear jeans nearly everywhere nowadays, but I'd suggest purchasing a few pairs of trousers as well – ones that fit well. As for shirts, any plaid-patterned button-down – assuming it's not a hideous color combo – would work. Belts are optional unless you're wearing dressy trousers (meaning not cotton or poly - wool or linen works). Chinos aren't at all original, but they're basically a classic at this point.

Unless you don't know what your current sizes are at a specific store, you can order all of the above online – and you can do that even if you *don't* know your size. Retailers know they get far more business from online sales than brick-and-mortar stores nowadays, so you could order them in 2-3 sizes and keep the one that fits the best. J. Crew routinely has the best stuff on sale, and Uniqlo (a Japanese retailer with stores mainly on the US West & East Coasts) has the lowest prices for attire that isn't "fast fashion" a la Zara or H&M.

If you'll be in an area where it gets cool at night, a sweater or light jacket of some sort would be a good idea as well.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2024 11:34 PM

You’re asking at 65? I think your ship has sailed already, honey.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2024 11:34 PM

Buy schlubbly clothes and be yourself. At 65, you don't need to dress to impress if you're enjoying the summer weather.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2024 11:35 PM

OP, 1) give up the oversized, untucked tee-shirts with large graphic, 2) WTF is with ill-fitting cargo shorts? Men have great legs and asses. Highlight them! Mid thigh for shorts. c) no FUCKING crocs on your feet.

Go shopping for clothes. Take the items you like and bring them into a dressing or changing room. Put on the new item... look at yourself in the mirror and check your posture. Are you schlubby because your round shouldered and sinking into your middle or do you stand up stright, with your shoulders back, engaging your abs? The latter will do wonders for how you look. Then, what about the shirt? Does it fit or just hang? Did you tuck it into your pants? Is it dropping down to mid thigh?

Are you wearing tees? Polo shirts? Short-sleeved button downs?

For shorts or trousers... does the waist fit? If your overweight, maybe you do need to go up a size? How does your ass look? Can folks see it? Or is it hidden because there's too much material?

Shopping's a drag, trying on clothes and discarding and trying again and again is a drag... you may end up at more than just Kohl's or Penneys, but if you end up wih clothes that fit and look good, bravo.

A number of years ago i splurged on some good quality dress/work clothes. I bought them at a locally-run men's clothing store. Best thing I ever did. I know my neck and waist and pants length sizes, try to buy fitted shirts and always try things on before buying.

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2024 11:39 PM

I decided at 61 that I don't need to wear shorts in public. Just at home or when doing chores. I decided that nobody really wants to look at old mens' legs. It's not big deal, but it seems "age appropriate" to put on a pair of linen trousers in public. I should mention I live in Europe where shorts for life isn't really a credo.

I also decided that I had to change many of the colours in my wardrobe to suit 60 year old skin and silver hair. Again, "age appropriate" in my definition.

I don't think age appropriate means boring. I saw a gentleman in his 70s today, on the public bus, impeccably turned out in a checked suit, tie, and very handsome English shoes. He looked just right of his age.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2024 11:53 PM

Caftan.

Earrings.

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2024 12:01 AM

I'll be wearing ribbons down my back this summer.

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2024 12:40 AM

Costco clothes will be boring and appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2024 12:42 AM

I have found that a psir of Daisy Dukes paired with a turquoise tank top alwsys brought the boys to my yard.

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2024 12:51 AM

Take all of your cargos, put them in a pile in your backyard, douse them in lighter fluid, and burn them.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2024 12:57 AM

Not ever giving up my cargo shorts. Like I give a shit what anybody thinks.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2024 12:58 AM

R1 White shoes and a white belt is called a "Full Cleveland".

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2024 1:05 AM

Don't take fashion advice from the clowns on this thread who don't know the difference between a button-down and a dress shirt.

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2024 1:08 AM

You're going to get prisspots who thinks we should wear a suit to the supermarket. Wear what is comfortable. Colors that look good. Some people can wear cargos at 65 and some can't. Well made polos are easy to pack, hold up well to laundry and a re good warm weather foundation, but frankly shirts you like I have flannels for winter Patagonia a/c shirts for summer

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2024 1:30 AM

Pay a stylist. You're the type of person who goes out in public wearing 15 year old cargo shorts. You're not going to dig yourself out of this hole.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2024 1:30 AM

You’re over 65, so keep the shorts LONG if you have to wear them. Your jeans should be straight leg if you want them to last, but avoid high waisted pants as you probably have too much going on around the belly tempting you to pull them armpit high. Rick Owens is good for fat assed folks as long as you avoid the BDSM wear.

With the wider legged pants, your shoes are rounder. I’ve seen square toe shoes pop up again, but they go Herman Munster after a season so I would advise against them.

Camp collar shirts are fine, but make sure the shirt tail doesn’t extend past your ass - that looks silly on anyone who isn’t gaunt. They go under a shacket which should have enough pockets to keep things out of your pants.

The coloring is 90s jewel tones, but you’re a guy - stick to the brass, bronze, browns and greens and pretend you’re one of Robin Hood’s MARY men.

Avoid Marni and Jacquemus as those are my current favorites and you don’t want to dress like me. We aren’t twins.

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2024 1:40 AM

Good advice, all. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2024 1:41 AM

Rick Owens looks ridiculous on young, skinny models let a lone someone with age and a fat ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2024 11:30 AM

Don't wear white after Labor Day if you are on the East Coast or you will look stupid.

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2024 12:21 PM

If you want to wear shorts, OP, just get some modest ones that come down to the knee.

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2024 2:54 AM

What is wrong with cargo shorts? I used to wear them, and thought they were useful and comfortable. I don't remember why I didn't replace them with more cargo shorts.

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2024 3:37 AM

Forget the rules, OP. Dress for yourself, not others. If you want to look your best, then make sure all your clothes fit properly, and are appropriate for your body type. For example, if you have short legs, wear shorts with a shorter inseam. Longer lengths point out your short stature. If you have a "portly" build then wear tops that hang lower on your body -not oversized, just longer. Darker colors are more slimming than lighter ones.

Okay -One rule: By all means wear sandals if you like -just don't wear socks with them! If you wear shorts, the only allowable socks are short/invisible ones.

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2024 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!