Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jellyfin

Any DLers using Jellyfin?

I set it up recently, and am really happy so far. However, I’m not sure I’m capable of setting up an NAS, even though I’m dying to.

I’d love some advice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 12:50 AM

Not a one?

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2024 12:22 AM

OP - you know you're talking to a bunch of mostly octogenarians in nursing homes right? They're all very busy having intergenerational wars and yelling about how trans are ruining the universe and Israel isn't killing enough civilians. That takes up all their time.

I love new stuff and Jellyfin looks like an interesting platform but why would you need it? I checked out the demo. Would you use it to manage and catalogue the media you have on your system? How do you use it yourself?

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2024 12:29 AM

I prefer PLEX. Easier to use, more features, and better documented.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2024 12:39 AM

I've never been a NAS person, at least not for media serving.

I collected a bunch of physical media before the ability to save all your movies to hard disks was magnetically, optically or economically feasible, so by the time NAS were cost effective, I already owned what I wanted on discs and I just stream the rest or get the torrent or find a copy on the USENET.

But being an octogenarian, I use Windows Media Server on my HTPC, I even have a tuner card for time shifting television broadcasts.

Besides Plex or Kodi/XBMC have been around for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2024 12:43 AM

An octogenarian downloading pirated movies on Usenet?

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 12:46 AM

I've had a NAS in one form or another for about a decade. I've used Windows, OpenMediaVault, FreeNAS, Synology and have finally been more than happy with the way UNRAID has been working out...I highly recommend it for its reliability, ease of use, and configuration. I've messed around with Jellyfin but prefer Plex since I have a dozen users that also rely on Plex.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!