Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Connie Stevens - Still With Us

The bubbly Miss Stevens is still with us. For some reason, knowing that she started off in the 60s with a couple of TV series, I thought she was older, or dead. She's in a movie on TCM right now, a starring role - "Two on a Guillotine" with Dean Jones from 1965. It's awful. I remember reading a sample of her daughter's book (Joely?) but don't know much else about her, except I liked her. What can DL tell me about this semi-successful star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2024 8:32 PM

I always mixed her up with Stella Stevens

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2024 11:04 AM

As a gayling, I was upset on her behalf that she had to share ACE Hardware commercials with a fat old guy.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2024 11:12 AM

Never liked her proto-mullet hairdo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2024 11:16 AM

Part of the Eddie Fisher saga.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2024 11:37 AM

I'm watching Susan Slade featuring BERT CONVY!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2024 12:53 PM

The Warner Brothers commissary had a sandwich named after her. Elvis loved the combo, but usually added bacon and honey then had the sandwich deep-fried.

Which may, at least in part, explain why Elvis has been dead for the last 46 years and Miss Stevens still walks among us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2024 1:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2024 1:52 PM

She was one of those good time gals, Connie-I-am-an-amusement-park Stevens but complained about how "there's something wrong with Hollywood when actressess can walk off shows like Dynasty and Falcon Crest and get a production deal and I can't". Kind of a self-aggrandizing cunty thing to say.

Anyhoo, she had a massive stroke in 2016 and is shuffling around in a nursing home now. She said, "I bounced back!". Her daughter Joely Fisher said get real mom, hard to call what you're doing 'bouncing'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2024 2:22 PM

R6 Connie Stevens talking about dating Elvis in the beginning of the video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2024 6:30 PM

R6 I've been in love with this song since I saw it on "Mulholland Drive." I had no idea it was our Miss Connie. I love her even more now!

Downloading as we speak

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2024 9:01 PM

I forget who it was who played her in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but I thought she really captured her in that scene at the Playboy mansion. Connie Stevens is one of those people who have a kind of positive glow about them. I love watching her.

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2024 9:09 PM

She hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2024 9:11 PM

r10, don't forget this version...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote]Part of the Eddie Fisher saga.

Their marriage only lasted two years. And then three years with Jim Stacy. I wonder if she just said fuck it, I'm over marriage. She managed to live well. She had a beautiful house in Holmby Hills, then traded down to Studio City.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2024 9:16 PM

Didn't she have some kind of skin care line?

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2024 9:16 PM

Forever Cricket...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2024 9:18 PM

R16 LOVE it!!

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2024 9:20 PM

[quote] She managed to live well. She had a beautiful house in Holmby Hills, then traded down to Studio City.

Too well. She went bankrupt and had to sell the beautiful home.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2024 9:21 PM

The theme song haunts my dreams.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2024 9:22 PM

Ah yesssss. Wait. Bob Conrad was in it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2024 9:23 PM

Connie never brought anything to Nana's cul-de-sac parties. She'd stand there and double-dip her Ruffles and leave half-eaten paper plates of Mrs. Moe Howard's famous tuna casserole in the pool cabana.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote]of Mrs. Moe Howard's

Her name was Helen, r21.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote]The grounds have extensive if not exactly meticulously kept gardens and beyond the swimming pool there’s a lighted sunken tennis court that doesn’t look in listing photographs to this tennis playing property gossip as if it’s in suitable condition for an actual match.

Oh Burn!

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2024 9:48 PM

The movie that started our Miss Connie on her way.......Dragstrip Riot! From 1958. I love these cornball trailers. "Fay Wray and Connie Stevens on the SAME SCREEN!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2024 10:01 PM

She did infomercials for her cosmetic line for years.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2024 10:59 PM

"Two on a Guillotine" was one of my favorite movies as a kid. The door at the top of the stairs! The rabbit!

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2024 11:02 PM

Broadway STAR, Connie Stevens...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2024 11:03 PM

Does she still sell her skincare line Forever Spring even though she’s almost dead?

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2024 11:11 PM

Who can forget the burning baby (an obvious cheap doll) in “Susan Slade”.

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2024 11:49 PM

Always lived “Sixteen Reasons”—such pure, glassy, but also sultry vocals on that song.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2024 11:52 PM

What brother-in-law of someone powerful came up with the title “Scorchy”?

[quote] The movie's title and promotional materials imply that the nick-name of Jackie Parker (Connie Stevens) is 'Scorchy'. Jackie Parker (Connie Stevens) in the movie 'is never called Scorchy, or even described as 'scorchy' according to a review by Richard T. Jameson originally published in the October 1976 issue of 'Movietone News'.

I hope there was a post-production beat-down of this moron.

by Anonymousreply 31April 7, 2024 11:59 PM

Hey bitches, I played Marilyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2024 12:53 AM

She was very popular in my house for some reason. We watched everything she was in, in the 60s. I remember Wendy and Me, with George Burns, which we watched on Monday nights. It was probably terrible and lasted only a season, but it was must-see-TV for my kindergarten self. Hawaiian Eye was another family favorite. In retrospect, we probably watched her because my father thought she was hot.

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2024 1:27 AM

Grease 2 Reproduction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2024 2:29 AM

She was the girl who begged: Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb!

by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2024 2:38 AM

I remember as a kid reading a movie magazine interview with her in which she bemoaned losing the role of Eliza Doolittle to Audrey Hepburn even though she was a Warner's contract player and Audrey wasn't.

Like that was ever gonna happen!

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2024 2:39 AM

R32, I recorded parts of that movie on my old cassette recorder when it aired. The tape still worked as of a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2024 2:43 AM

I saw the reruns of Wendy and Me a number of years ago, when Nick at Night or one of those channels started running them, and it holds up really well. (I loved it as a child.)

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2024 2:45 AM

The best parts are the hideous table lamp and fabulous harvest yellow refrigerator.

It's kind of dull.....It's not nearly as camp as you want it to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2024 2:53 AM

Decades ago, a friend of mine was working backstage at some benefit concert in L.A. Connie Stevens, with young Joely in tow, wanted to go backstage, but she wasn't on the list.

Miss Stevens: "Excuse me? I am Connie FUCKING Stevens!"

My friend: "I'm sorry, Miss Stevens, but I'm not old enough to care who you are."

(On the rare occasion that her name comes up, we always refer to her as "Connie F. Stevens."

by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2024 2:55 AM

[quote]I remember Wendy and Me, with George Burns

Is this the show where George Burns set up a camera in Connie's apartment and watched everything she did on his TV upstairs?

by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2024 3:07 AM

SS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 8, 2024 3:12 AM

She always knows where the boys and the booze are!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43April 8, 2024 5:01 AM

[quote]The bubbly Miss Stevens is still with us.

Honey, those bubbles went flat YEARS ago.

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2024 5:07 AM

Her inability to act is apparent even in a trailer (ditto Troy Donahue)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2024 8:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!