Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, have you had Nureyev?

Or come close to it? Please tell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 6, 2024 10:04 PM

Waiting for someone to reject him, based on his......fringe, thumbs or bellybutton?

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2024 2:14 AM

He was a nasty narcissistic nasty piece of work but if you luved a Big Coke who would slam ya till ya bleed he was your Sasha.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2024 2:14 AM

I would hit that..

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2024 2:15 AM

What is with DL's obsession with this butter-faced dancer? My goodness, you all bring him up way too often for what little his face-card is giving. Give it a rest already.

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2024 2:17 AM

Now that you mention it, what IS going on with that bellybutton?

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2024 2:18 AM

A regular Latin lover...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2024 2:18 AM

What is wrong with his belly button?

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2024 2:19 AM

Read his biography. The man was an artistic genius who revolutionized Ballet. He blew cold and hot, selfish, self absorbed, moody and imperious. And yet he was also great company and was good to his underlings, the ballet company. the dancers. They thought he was a god. And loved to party.

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2024 2:21 AM

If I thought the world judged faces the way DL does, I'd never leave the house!

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2024 2:22 AM

Thank goodness r9s ugly mug isn't splashed all over DL like this basic Russian Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2024 2:24 AM

I'd do him.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2024 2:28 AM

"What is with DL's obsession with this butter-faced dancer?"

No one is looking at his face.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2024 2:29 AM

He was never at a loss for a piece of ass. Young men lined up for him. He died of AIDS and he took care of his long time on and off again lover who died before him

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote]but if you luved a Big Coke who would slam ya till ya bleed he was your Sasha.

Sweety, he never used that cock on anybody. It was well known he was a bathhouse bottom. He’d just lay there with the door open and let anyone use him.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2024 2:30 AM

Every time I see that photo I fall in lust all over again.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2024 2:45 AM

r13 shocked he died of AIDs because I thought he was a top. I know tops can get AIDs but I remember it being a lot less frequent.

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2024 2:48 AM

This is Palm Beach Ballet. I need to buy a ticket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2024 2:51 AM

*3* GIRLS *3*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2024 2:55 AM

That’s a PENIS! 🍆

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2024 3:01 AM

He had a long term thing with Hal Linden.

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2024 3:07 AM

[quote] have you had Nureyev?

Are you implying he can still be had? Would the necrophiliacs be interested?

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2024 3:08 AM

You forgot to add "low nipple placement", R1.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2024 3:12 AM

Whaat r20!?

Why have I not heard this before!

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2024 3:13 AM

He rather has a Stamosbutton.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2024 3:23 AM

Great gams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2024 3:24 AM

Hal Linden???

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2024 3:30 AM

He and Tab Hunter had a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2024 3:38 AM

He had an incredible body. He must have worked out a ton.

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2024 3:45 AM

For 2 years I had a Russian boyfriend who resembled Nureyev. He was brilliant and had the same body. Really thick long curved cock that shot loads from the bed unto the ceiling - no joke. He was a bottom, but he wasn't passive about it.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2024 3:51 AM

From what I have read, he was mostly a top but he was versatile depending on his mood and how he felt about who he was fucking.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2024 3:51 AM

I had him at the NYC St. Marks baths in the late 80’s. He was a total bottom and gave disappointingly bad head. Sorry to speak ill of the dead. I think the stories of him being a top, are projection fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2024 3:59 AM

There were bath houses open in the late 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2024 4:02 AM

Everyone thinks I resemble him!

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2024 4:02 AM

[quote]There were bath houses open in the late 1980s?

There will still a few up until the mid-90s.

East Side Club (which is still open), Wall Street Sauna, Mount Morrison Baths, West Side Club

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2024 4:05 AM

R31-

The St Marks Baths were shut down by order of NYC in December 1985. For some reason East Side Club then called East Side Sauna and Wall Street Sauna were among the only bathhouses allowed to stay open.

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2024 4:06 AM

He looks cut, which would be surprising.

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2024 4:08 AM

Why surprising? Nureyev was born a muslim. My Russian boyfriend mentioned above was born Jewish. He had a semi cut which he explained was a modified circumcision that didn't remove as much skin so the kid could be acceptable in his faith, which was oppressed, yet still not stick out so much in the crowd of uncut Russian cock.

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2024 4:14 AM

I was a dancer and none worked out. Dancing is strenuous and doing it hours a day six days a week you get strong.

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2024 4:14 AM

Both Tab and Rudi are really packing in R27's picture! They were clearly enjoying each other's... company.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2024 4:54 AM

R31 here,, then it was the mid eighties. It was hard to remember 40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2024 5:12 AM

R28 You're not too smart, are you. I like that in a man.

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2024 5:36 AM

The really handsome one was Erik Bruhn. He's the one I need a nude picture of.

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2024 6:01 AM

My female friend grew up in NYC. She said that she danced (on the dance floor in the club) with Nureyev. I think he asked her to dance. I'm not saying he's straight, just that he danced with my female friend in a club.

I asked: "Was he a good dancer?" She said yes, he was.

by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2024 6:09 AM

I probably could have had him. He tried to pick me up in the dressing room of a men's clothing store in Greenwich Village in 1976. He was naked, and he showed me his cock, which was not hard. It hung down a few inches, so I figured it might be larger at full extension. Unfortunately, I was late meeting my boyfriend of the moment, so once I'd tried my pants on, I had to leave.

My boyfriend said, "I'd have stayed."

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2024 6:30 AM

R36,

He was a Tatar Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2024 7:08 AM

Mount Morris Baths was open until the mid aughts and was LEGENDARY for the biggest Black cock I’ve ever seen. I haven’t heard anyone mention it for years.

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2024 7:40 AM

When Nureyev appeared on "The Muppet Show", on the very first day of rehearsals, Nureyev walked up to gay muppeteer Richard Hunt and asked, "You suck cock don't you?"

Hunt died of AIDS in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2024 7:47 AM

Those are some serious pubes for an otherwise hairless man.

by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2024 7:52 AM

This is the photo that made me join DL! I think his face is so hauntingly beautiful from every angle. He didn’t dance as well as Misha (another total stunner) but he was very good at the acting in ballet performances. His dick is gorgeous! It’s terrible that he died young.

by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2024 11:15 AM

^^^ also the muscles that turn the legs out at the hips are very strong an developed. He was quite wiry and his muscle strength was exceptional

by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2024 11:19 AM

OP - Pre- or post-death?

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2024 12:06 PM

During a high school theater trip to NYC in April of 1979 a small group of us snuck off to Studio 54 to wait outside hoping to get in. At one point, someone rudely pushed by us to get to the head of the crowd. Turned out to be Nureyev, who we saw perform the night before in a ballet choreographed by George Balanchine. We also saw Lansbury in Sweeny Todd on the same trip.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2024 12:18 PM

I don’t understand some of the comments here. The man was gorgeous in every respect, and he could even act.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2024 12:20 PM

Being in Nureyev's way was rude on your part, R52. You should have sent him flowers to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2024 12:23 PM

[quote]At one point, someone rudely pushed by us to get to the head of the crowd. Turned out to be Nureyev

He needed to get to the balcony before Halston did.

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2024 12:27 PM

He was 5'8" which just proves that the only reliable indicator of a big dick is a short guy.

by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2024 12:30 PM

[quote] he never used that cock on anybody.

Didn't he fuck his teacher's wife when he was living with them in his early years?

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2024 12:32 PM

How did he not tip over when he was dancing?

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2024 12:32 PM

R56 That’s right. Short guys can be packing.

by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2024 12:39 PM

R59, is that you Mark?

by Anonymousreply 60April 4, 2024 1:08 PM

Scotland here.

I passed him on the street near the Palais Garnier in Paris in 1986. I was 18 and was on my first trip alone to another country. I remember his walk was extraordinary. He moved like a cat.

by Anonymousreply 61April 4, 2024 1:35 PM

Nureyev nude reminds me of "Little Joe" Dellasandro nude. 'Had them both.

by Anonymousreply 62April 4, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote] He was a Tatar Muslim.

The only palatable kind!

by Anonymousreply 63April 4, 2024 1:51 PM

[quote] His dick is gorgeous!

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 64April 4, 2024 1:52 PM

[quote]Now that you mention it, what IS going on with that bellybutton?

It's SMILING!

by Anonymousreply 65April 4, 2024 1:53 PM

R63 Tatar is correct.

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote]This is the photo that made me join DL!

I'll always remember the first time I saw it. Browsing Avedon's 'The Sixties' in a Covent Garden London bookshop, then boom - that extraordinary image. Not sure an A-lister had ever been so graphically depicted.

I might have known Avedon had taken some naked shots of such a great subject, but I never expected to see any. I'm sure I've read that the shoot included some of continued arousal, as Dallesandro had also done.

by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2024 2:05 PM

[quote] Tatar is correct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 4, 2024 2:05 PM

Imagine a ballet star being egotistical. Why, I never!

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2024 2:05 PM

Sometime in the late 60s, a friend and I saw him and Fonteyn dance in Detroit. They were at the height of their collective fame. Afterwards we headed backstage to their dressing rooms. No one stopped us and Nureyev answered the door, still sweaty. in his bathrobe. (Security was different in those days.) He graciously signed our programs, as did Dane Margot. It was briefly heart-stopping to be in his presence.

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2024 2:07 PM

how did joey d have such a finely muscled body? just genetics? i cant imagine he was into fitness. maybe martial arts?

by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2024 2:20 PM

Having an ego is one thing, being abusive is another. Nureyev was brilliant, but he was a complicated character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 4, 2024 2:20 PM

Stories about his lack of hygiene are off putting.

by Anonymousreply 73April 4, 2024 2:39 PM

I would like to have this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 4, 2024 2:43 PM

For those who want to know more about Gay Muppeteer Richard Hunt, a biography was just published last month. He regularly fisted Scooter and got paid for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 4, 2024 3:01 PM

I saw him perform with Dame Margot Fonteyn when I was 14-15. Swan Lake. We had SRO tickets. He was glorious. Never saw anything like it. He could Fly! He was unique in his style Kirov!

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2024 3:17 PM

Oh thank you for this, r75. I’ve always been curious about Richard Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 77April 4, 2024 3:20 PM

There's a movie, directed by Ralph Fiennes about Rudy called White Crow. It was based on his biography and it was amazing. Extremely well done and I urge you to rent it on Prime. It is worth every second and I loved they young man they cast as Rudy.

by Anonymousreply 78April 4, 2024 3:30 PM

Rudy was Gay not Bi but from time to time he did fuck women. It is rumored that Lee Radziwill fucked him. He was close friends with Jackie and she was jealous.

by Anonymousreply 79April 4, 2024 3:32 PM

R76 I saw him late in his career... maybe the early 80s? He had a lot of charisma, dramaturgy, presence... but he didn't have the height, power and elegance of Baryshnikov nor the nobility of Bruhn. He was huffing and puffing to get up in the air. I was semi-disappointed.

The nude pic is beautiful but, oddly, not very sexual to me.

by Anonymousreply 80April 4, 2024 3:53 PM

I remember him barechested in the sauna on ”The Muppet Show” when I was a child.

He turned me on.

by Anonymousreply 81April 4, 2024 4:20 PM

What about that claim he was seen passionately kissing RFK in a telephone booth at some restaurant/club?

by Anonymousreply 82April 4, 2024 4:28 PM

. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 4, 2024 4:30 PM

Jackie wanted it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 4, 2024 4:32 PM

Anyone see him in King and I?

by Anonymousreply 85April 4, 2024 5:15 PM

R78, I borrowed the movie from my library but haven't brought myself to watch it--the actor on the cover looks so little like him (the trouble with casting a real-life person who was so charismatic).

But I'll give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 86April 4, 2024 5:50 PM

R86 go back and look at photos of Rudy when he was in his late teens and early 20's. He isn't a dead ringer for Rudy, but he's pretty good and honestly, he captures Rudy's personality. And he can dance. He is a dancer turned actor. not the reverse. When his ballet company travels to Paris on tour, in the movie, some big shot from Paris asks hi, did you dance tonight? And he replies, "If I had danced, you would have remembered."

by Anonymousreply 87April 4, 2024 6:04 PM

Fag.

by Anonymousreply 88April 4, 2024 6:55 PM

Interesting remembrance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 4, 2024 7:12 PM

His grave is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 4, 2024 7:25 PM

wow.

by Anonymousreply 91April 4, 2024 8:00 PM

Rudy was insatiable when it came to sex. In Russia he'd have been sent to a gulag, but in America he had freedom of a kind he couldn't even imagine growing up. In America and in Europe, they threw money at him, he was celebrated, he worked, and when he couldn't dance he choreographed and he revolutionized the Ballet especially the traditional male roles. He revolutionized costumes and staging. He was so much more than a celebrity/dancer. His knowledge and understanding of music and art informed his work. It was more instinctive than formal. He loved the opulence he could afford, and he tried very hard to get along with his family his sister etc. after he brought them over to America. Was he moody, temperamental, volatile, mercurial? All those applied. But he was also witty and fun and generous. He was impatient with himself and with others. He had so much to say and do artistically and he grew frustrated with anything he perceived as obstacles. He had an artistic vision and would not permit any organization or bourgeoise politics intrude on it or compromise it. I adore him. He was one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 92April 4, 2024 8:21 PM

Some people are just born for having sex and he was one of those it seems.

by Anonymousreply 93April 4, 2024 8:35 PM

Avedon took an entire roll of film of nude shots. At the end of the session, Nureyev changed his mind and asked for the roll which Avedon gave him.

Both had forgotten that the last few shots on the previous roll had been the start of the nude session. Avedon found them when he developed the film. These are the shots we see now. I wonder what he was doing in the second roll?

by Anonymousreply 94April 4, 2024 9:15 PM

Fagala

by Anonymousreply 95April 4, 2024 9:18 PM

"He had so much to say and do artistically and he grew frustrated with anything he perceived as obstacles."

So, in other words, everybody else had to suffer Rudy's petulant, childish temper tantrums for Rudy's "art?"

Sounds like he'd be a perfect Trumpster.

by Anonymousreply 96April 4, 2024 9:48 PM

Never had him, but have jerked off to that photo many times.

by Anonymousreply 97April 4, 2024 10:00 PM

R96 Rudy would have had nothing but contempt for Trump and his followers. He'd piss on them...and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 98April 4, 2024 10:10 PM

and now it's a Trump thread. Kudos ...took 96 replies but you did it. I was wondering how Trump could come into this thread. Again. Kudos to you.

by Anonymousreply 99April 4, 2024 10:13 PM

R99, Trump is never, ever going to let some low-life peon like you suck his niblet cock and lick his shit encrusted asshole, so why do you keep shilling for him?

by Anonymousreply 100April 4, 2024 10:23 PM

Yeah. People saying they are sick to death of Trump threads and seeing Trump mentioned in every thread are shilling for him. Are you stupid?

by Anonymousreply 101April 4, 2024 10:25 PM

Fran Lebiwitz said she went to see ballet a lot in the 70s. Iirc, she said Nureyv was more talented and compelling than Barishnokov.

by Anonymousreply 102April 4, 2024 10:28 PM

I went to a performance of Antony and Cleopatra at the Young Vic in London in 1976. As we were filing back to our seats toward the end of intermission I noticed that the man in front of me was wearing a beautiful black sable fur coat, nearly floor-length (and a cheap brown knit cap on his head). I so wanted to touch that coat, but, of course, didn't. Until the woman behind me stumbled on a stair and toppled into me, and I put my hands out to prevent myself from falling into fur coat guy. So I did get to touch the sable (lush...), albeit briefly. The man wearing the coat turned and glared at me. It was Nureyev. I apologized, and we went on to our seats. Three nights later I saw him in Swan Lake with Natalia Makarova at Covent Garden. (He was very good; she was mesmerizing.)

by Anonymousreply 103April 4, 2024 10:31 PM

Time for your triple dosage of Thorazine, R101.

by Anonymousreply 104April 4, 2024 10:52 PM

A pubic forest I’d like to get lost in.

by Anonymousreply 105April 4, 2024 11:06 PM

[quote]have you had Nureyev?

Had him do what? Dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 106April 4, 2024 11:08 PM

Seeing him with Jackie On Assistance, is there an equivalent to their star status today? They were A-listers living exclusive lives with some aura of mystery or intrigue. Nureyev was also supremely talented.

Oversharing on sm and every second person being classed as a 'celebrity' today has diluted star quality.

Nureyev, Fonteyn and Dietrich below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 4, 2024 11:14 PM

Nothing romantic about it. Jackie on Assistance was his dealer.

by Anonymousreply 108April 4, 2024 11:44 PM

Jackie On Assistance is about the best typo ever.

Even better than cak and graxy.

by Anonymousreply 109April 5, 2024 12:15 AM

R96 Bitch got old, and like myself, had a hard time accepting it.

by Anonymousreply 110April 5, 2024 12:20 AM

We were offered and we tried. God knows we tried. But the B.O., swamp ass, and stink sleeve.... no thank you.

by Anonymousreply 111April 5, 2024 2:06 AM

If anyone here decides to check out the movie, White Crow I'd love to know what you think of it. I was so impressed with the young Ukrainian dancer who played Rudy. And Ralph Fiennes was absolutely brilliant. He produced and directed it too. It made me buy the biography the movie was based on, so I have huge respect for him as an artist.

by Anonymousreply 112April 5, 2024 2:12 AM

R111 I can believe it. The Europeans back in those days, the lower classes, working classes, had BO big time. I was in jr. high and there were a lot of immigrant kids in our Catholic School and they stunk to high heaven. My mother explained to me that we took water for granted, but in foreign countries, unless you lived in a big city, the water wasn't always reliable and people didn't bathe as often.

by Anonymousreply 113April 5, 2024 2:22 AM

When was Fran L ever a reliable judge of ballet expertise?

by Anonymousreply 114April 5, 2024 2:59 AM

I saw Nureyev dance in the final years of his career at the Paris Opera on New Year's Eve. I was seated in the orchestra with Baryshnikov also in the audience (just over my right shoulder) a row behind me. It was an unforgettable experience watching Rudy and turning to watch Batyshnikov watching Rudy. He seemed to be enjoying the performance immensely. Unfortunately, I never had either but ballet dancers were my thing in the 70's and luckily I lived on the Upper West Side near Lincoln Center.

I was turned on to Rudy as a young gayling. I remember watching him dance on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was a young teen and he was packing quite the bulge in his white tights. I certainly understood at that moment that the male body excited me more than the female body . As I watched him leap across the stage with that generous, titillating, glorious package I had to hide my excitement from my family. My mother certainly brought the mood down when she exclaimed to my father that this was too much! " My God, you can see everything this man owns in those tights! I don't need to see this!" Obviously her little boy didn't feel the same, lol. Will never forget that moment.

by Anonymousreply 115April 5, 2024 3:37 AM

For those interested, I recommend both his biography (by Diane Solway) and a novelization of his life (Dancer by Colum McCann). Though I stopped reading the bio towards the end--his physical decline and insistence on dancing through it was just too sad.

His life is more compelling than his talent as a performer. (Baryshnikov is the greatest, in my opinion.)

by Anonymousreply 116April 5, 2024 5:05 AM

[quote]I remember watching him dance on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was a young teen

Are you referring to this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 5, 2024 5:24 AM

Seeing that clip at R117, and reading R115's recollections, makes one consider is there any scenario in which a family would gather together today to watch ballet, classical music performances or similar 'high art' in a way that Ed Sullivan show clip provided back in the 1960s?

With specific tv channels now catering to individual tastes and trends, people's exposure to different genres in the performing arts has become narrower and less possible. See for example critics today losing their shit over Beyonce's 'country' album, as if she's somehow made a long-established musical style mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 118April 5, 2024 11:37 AM

So two eldergays confess having had sex with Rudy, one refused due to BO and one remained faithful to his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 119April 5, 2024 12:01 PM

[quote]Seeing him with Jackie On Assistance, is there an equivalent to their star status today? They were A-listers living exclusive lives with some aura of mystery or intrigue. Nureyev was also supremely talented.

Not so much now. Just because there was a cluster of fascinating big names based on high talent or genius in the recent past, doesn't mean that every age can claim the same.

Ella, Sinatra, Garland, Olivier, Coward, Bernstein and Nureyev, to name a few, maintain great interest and admiration, due to their brilliant careers, and because such talents by their unique nature emerge only rarely. Genuine stars, another words, rather than mere celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 120April 5, 2024 12:09 PM

^ Genuine stars, in other words...

by Anonymousreply 121April 5, 2024 12:10 PM

r116 So what am I, chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 5, 2024 12:17 PM

Peter Martins was hotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 5, 2024 1:00 PM

Handsome, sexy guy in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 124April 5, 2024 1:30 PM

Martha Graham, Rudolph Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn photographed by Richard Avedon for the Blackglama ("What Becomes a Legend Most?") advertising campaign, 1976

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 5, 2024 2:04 PM

Another Avedon nude - 1961.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 5, 2024 2:44 PM

Yes as we’ve all seen upthread…

by Anonymousreply 127April 5, 2024 2:54 PM

AsI have said earlier, Rudy was more than a dancer. He was an innovator, a creator, a true artist. He change Ballet. The best biography I've read is Rudolf Nureyev by Julie Kavanaugh. It's excellent. Fascinating read. I read the fictionalized , Dancer, years ago.

by Anonymousreply 128April 5, 2024 3:00 PM

Is Kavanaugh's bio squeamish about the gay stuff?

by Anonymousreply 129April 5, 2024 3:04 PM

No, R127, not that one.

by Anonymousreply 130April 5, 2024 3:31 PM

R129 no, not that I can recall.

by Anonymousreply 131April 5, 2024 3:32 PM

Martins by the time I saw him in the late 70s was a very lazy dancer. As somebody said to me you put up with him because he's a great partner for Farrell. A friend who saw him early in his career said back then he was great. He got bored. I did see him give one great performance. It was right before he retired. It was the ballet Diamonds which is really the ballerina's ballet. But Farrell on whom the ballet was created canceled and Merrill Ashley was doing her part. But Martins took over as if it were the male partner's ballet. He was tremendous. I didn't know he was a truly great dancer until that evening. At the end the audience was in a hysterical frenzy. Absolutely nuts. And he deserved it but as a balletomane near me said with perfect validity 'I refuse to applaud. All these years he walks around the stage saying aren't I beautiful and tonight he decides to dance?'

by Anonymousreply 132April 5, 2024 8:28 PM

R132 Ha. I also saw Martins in the 70s (not the final performance you reference) and all he did was walk around in a "stately" manner, and occasionally wave his right arm from left to right opening the hand to the sky... a princely gesture I guess. As I remember even the other ballet dancers were rolling their eyes.

by Anonymousreply 133April 5, 2024 8:42 PM

"Peter Martins was hotter."

Yes, but did he suck dick?

by Anonymousreply 134April 5, 2024 9:08 PM

Peter Martins is a bit of a mess.

“In July 1992, Martins was arrested and held for five hours after his 28-year-old wife of seven months, New York City Ballet principal ballerina Darci Kistler, phoned the police for help. His wife filed an affidavit accusing him of assaulting her, pushing and slapping her, and cutting and bruising her arms and legs and continuing to hit her after she fell under his attack. He was charged with third-degree assault (a misdemeanor). Kistler dropped the charges a few days later, saying she preferred to resolve the matter without the court's intervention. When she next performed in a ballet two days later, she reportedly wore heavy makeup to conceal bruises she had suffered. Several people who knew the two well claimed it wasn't the first time Martins had hit her. Prier Wolff, a member of the school’s board of directors, said that the assault charge was "a personal matter", would not affect Martins’ career, and that it had "nothing to do with his competency or his support in the ballet community.

In 2011, Martins was charged with DWI in Yonkers. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while impaired. In December 2017, Martins was arrested after a three-car crash and charged with drunk driving, refusal to take a breath test, and backing unsafely. He pleaded not guilty in Ardsley Village Court, and his license was suspended.””

by Anonymousreply 135April 5, 2024 9:46 PM

I think it was English actor Keith Baxter who was quoted in the Nureyev biography as saying that he got picked up by the dancer......and it was less than pleasant because he wasn't "fresh."

by Anonymousreply 136April 5, 2024 9:58 PM

Hott er, really R123? He looks like a corpse.

by Anonymousreply 137April 5, 2024 10:00 PM

I sat next to Kevin McKenzie on a jury—we convicted the D on three counts of heroin possession.

Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 138April 5, 2024 10:01 PM

The D?

by Anonymousreply 139April 5, 2024 10:14 PM

OP here. I conclude that sex with Rudy wasn’t all that exciting but he was a great artist. I thought he was a sex god too.

by Anonymousreply 140April 5, 2024 10:16 PM

R139. Let’s see: a criminal case and a conviction, that’s C.

D could be dick, or maybe Dominican or even dummy. I’ll bet it means Defendant! DUH.

by Anonymousreply 141April 5, 2024 10:20 PM

R136, The late Keith Baxter enjoyed a rather lengthy intimate relationship with DL fave Rex Reed decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 142April 5, 2024 10:34 PM

Nice schmekel.

by Anonymousreply 143April 5, 2024 10:55 PM

I saw Nureyev at the Mineshaft one night (or should I say one morning). It was dark, but everyone knew it was him.

by Anonymousreply 144April 5, 2024 11:09 PM

The Pet Shop Boys just released a new song & video dedicated to Rudy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 5, 2024 11:12 PM

R139. I’m thinking defendant.

by Anonymousreply 146April 5, 2024 11:39 PM

Didn't Keith Baxter have an affair with almost everyone?

by Anonymousreply 147April 6, 2024 11:42 AM

Allegedly he POZ’d Jackie O and that’s what she died from.

Jackie on AZT.

by Anonymousreply 148April 6, 2024 12:57 PM

nice little a rticle. Ivenko said that basically he had to learn how to be an asshole to successfully portray Rudy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 6, 2024 2:14 PM

This is a great documentary from the BBC of Nureyev.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 6, 2024 2:31 PM

Thanks for posting [117] . I think it might be time for us to let go. In their day absolutely electrifying. But today I find Margot Fonteyn a bit chunky and clumpy in that clip. Watch how high she gets her leg, then watch what some of newer ones can do. As to looks. Never fancied Nureyev but look at Roberto Bollo. The only male ballet dancer I would lick from one end to the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 6, 2024 4:33 PM

Bolle is sex on a stick—until he talks.

I saw him dance Romeo & Juliet at La Scala, with Misty Copeland. They were well-matched—a fantastic experience to see them together, live in Milan.

by Anonymousreply 152April 6, 2024 6:22 PM

What’s wrong with his voice, R152?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 6, 2024 6:55 PM

R78 and R112, I watched The White Crow. It was good, though the black and white childhood scenes were a bit heavy-handed. When they finally showed little boy Nureyev with his hometown ballet teacher, it did get me though.

Yes, Ralph Fiennes was excellent, the art direction was very good, and the lead actor fine. He got RN's mix of arrogance and anger, but didn't really capture his charm and stage presence--the brief scenes of the real Rudy dancing in the credits were gorgeous.

Polunin might've been a better choice for the role, both looks and dance-wise (but maybe too much crazy to handle).

by Anonymousreply 154April 6, 2024 7:15 PM

R154 I didn't realize how good Igor was in White Crow until I watched the BBC documentary of Nureyev and saw photos and footage of his early years dancing when he first started.He was about 20.

by Anonymousreply 155April 6, 2024 10:02 PM

The BBC documentary was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 156April 6, 2024 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!