Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question for Datalounge Limnologists

Why is the entirety of Baltimore Harbor considered the Patapsco River? The river is a relatively small river that empties into what seems to me to be an inlet of the Chesapeake Bay from the southwest. A large peninsula containing multiple Baltimore neighborhoods sits between what I would call the end of the river and the body of water that forms the Inner Harbor. Yet maps tell me all of this and the rest of the harbor out to the Bay is the Patapsco River.

Wikipedia says the Harbor is the “tidal portion” of the river.

I just don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2024 7:21 PM

Perhaps it was unreasonable of me to expect to attract the attention of a limnologist, so any Datalounge earth scientist or cartographer should feel free to chime in.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 6:37 PM

Wait til Op learns that Upper New York Bay and the Hudson River (as far north as Troy) together are an estuary!

Whoever thought that one term might be used in place of another? The mind reels.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2024 6:51 PM

I know the Upper New York Bay and the Hudson River is an estuary. That’s irrelevant.. No one calls New York Harbor “the Hudson River.”

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2024 6:57 PM

Sorry Op—you lose.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2024 7:02 PM

No, honey. You don’t even understand the question.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2024 7:07 PM

Says the guy who doesn’t understand how rivers flow to the sea 😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2024 7:11 PM

Both the Hudson and the Patapsco “flow into the sea.” One constitutes the entire harbor; the other doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2024 7:16 PM

They are both part of larger estuaries.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2024 7:18 PM

Yes. And?

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2024 7:18 PM

Quotable quotes for $400: You just don’t get it

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 7:20 PM

They do allow the "Hudson River" to extend to the tip of Manhattan. Then it's Upper New York Bay. I don't know why the Baltimore Harbor and Patapsco River are allowed to overlap.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2024 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!