Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People Who Overshare on Social Media

I have a friend from high school who I follow on Facebook. He posted that he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, so I sent him an IM and let him know I had been diagnosed, too, and told him I was there to support him. I wasn't interested in letting anyone else know my diagnosis.

So then the guy set up a "Caring Bridge" page, where he's proceeded to share every detail of his diagnosis, his daily thoughts on it, and all the steps he's taking to manage it.

I dunno. Seems like a blatant grab for attention and sympathy to me. I know everyone deals with things like this differently, but the last thing I want to do is share all the dirty details of my cancer in cyberspace. This guy seems to get getting off on all the responses he's getting from our high school frau friends.

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2024 12:46 PM

OP is oversharing again!

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 3:07 PM

Leave the group, OP. I share your distaste for that behavior, so do what I can to avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2024 3:14 PM

I have a childhood friend who has slowly devolved into doing this, including GFMs with pitiful photos to finance her medical bills. I reluctantly 'get' the GFM, but the Keane-eyed photos that accompany it, and the barely-hanging-on updates push me over the edge. I know this person parties regularly and has made less than sensible financial decisions well into middle age. That's not a crime, but to shake people down with your ASPCA puppy mill face is a bit much.

I don't follow her social media at all because if I see it, it makes her intolerable to me, and I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt and not let it destroy what's left of our friendship. If anyone had told me 25 years ago that she would become one of these kinds of people, I would never have believed it. It's nauseating how eager people are to "share themselves" as if everyone is dying to know just what they're going to do next!

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2024 3:23 PM

Maybe he's all alone and has no one to support him through it. I'd watch from a distance, cringing internally if I were you, OP.

By the way, I hope you're doing okay.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2024 3:23 PM

It’s contagious really. After all, this is the era of OF.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2024 3:26 PM

The only social media in my life is DataLounge and Scruff.

Make me laugh or make me cum, otherwise I’m not interested.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2024 3:36 PM

R4 He's married and has two kids, so he's definitely not alone or without support.

And thank you, I'm doing well.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2024 3:36 PM

I find it odd and I don't like it when people do this, but I guess I don't really care, either.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2024 3:39 PM

This is the world we live in. If my friend was diagnosed with piles she'd post a snap of her arse hole on FB.

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2024 3:39 PM

R6 Same!

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 3:46 PM

I don't understand this narcissistic culture we've found ourselves in. From posting selfies all over the freaking place and posting them on Instagram and Snapchat to making tearful YouTube videos about the latest relationship breakout, we're awash in a sea of "look at me!" and "I can outdo you with my tragic tale!"

I just don't get this need for constant validation.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2024 7:35 PM

This is one of the main reasons I bailed on SM altogether. I started to hate my friends bc of this kind of behavior. I wish I had done it sooner.

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2024 7:47 PM

I still have a Facebook because of Marketplace, and to look up the profiles of people with interesting obituaries, but that's it! I don't look at my feed nor anyone else's I know.

by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2024 9:59 PM

OP, I agree that people share weird, personal stuff on Facebook. I still have an account but visit once a month or so. I've never posted about having surgeries, etc., but I know people who document every step. One woman just had a gastric sleeve/balloon-whatever it's called procedure and gave a play-by-play commentary on all of the parts she was not under anesthesia. Ten years ago she used to faithfully document her gym workouts.

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2024 10:22 PM

Op we’re all different. We all have different coping mechanisms. This is his way of receiving some support from people who know him. Don’t criticize him for it. It wouldn’t be my way of dealing with it. Like you, I’d probably keep it under my hat, only sharing with immediate fam & friends.

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2024 10:28 PM

I deleted my Facebook account because there are just way too many LOOK AT ME posts. People seem to control themselves more on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2024 10:38 PM

R16 I don't have Instagram, but by its nature, isn't that even more of a narcissistic platform? Doesn't it lend itself to nothing but "look at me!" selfies?

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2024 12:21 PM

I look at this stuff like it’s fashion. In 1987 it would have been shocking to see teenage girls in thongs at the beach. Or a fat girl in a tube top. OTOH, nylon short shorts that were worn in 1983 might have raised eyebrows in 1995.

I tell myself I’m just out of style when it comes to social media and sharing and that helps me not to judge. As much.

And the GFM stuff? I don’t know. If I lost a loved one in horrible, easily publicized circumstances my first instinct wouldn’t be to beg for money. But would I regret NOT doing that 12 months later when I’m sad but the initial shock is over and I’m looking at my retirement accounts and realizing I can’t re-do my kitchen? Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2024 12:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!