Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lars von Trier — thoughts? Opinions?

I've never seen one of his movies but sampled The House That Jack Built last night, mostly for its stars (Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman). It's about a tormented serial killer; yes, it's gory, but I've seen worse. Made it an hour in and am wondering whether to finish it — it's not terrible enough to stop but not great enough to make me commit to 2 1/2 hours.

Any DLers have opinions on Lars? Love him, hate him?

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 12:40 AM

"Melancholia" is in my all-time top ten. "Dogville" and "Nymphomaniac" are both interesting curiosities, for different reasons. The best part of "Nymphomaniac" is Uma Thurman's scene.

I still have yet to see "Dancer from the Dance," "Breaking the Waves," and "Antichrist," but they are all films I plan to eventually watch when the time is right. I have no interest in "The House That Jack Built."

I'm a fan, but he's not someone I really recommend to people, since his films can be alienating. As a person, he is rather repulsive, in many respects.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!