Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you a SEWIST?

(autocorrect just tried to change that to “desist”… which some of you may be thinking.)

Anyway, doing tech hours in college and summer stock I was always put in the costume shop, and was really good with finishing details. I find repetitive tasks calming : (

I’ve never sewed something completely from scratch, but I still find alterations, costuming, and especially vintage garments interesting…. So there’s a few sewing channels on YouTube I follow. It’s like watching puzzle pieces come together!

Anyway - I found this video eye opening, if sewing’s your bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 2:33 PM

Idiotic humorless video. OP you're a cunt for wasting my 30 seconds it took to figure out her stupid gag. Hardeeharhar.

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 11:42 PM

Oh no : ( My only reply is from a blocked poster. Maybe we have something in common after all?

Maybe I was too harsh with them. We could trade sewing tips.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 11:51 PM

Sorry OP, toooo much chatter, not enough sewing. FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 11:55 PM

Please keep me blocked. I'd rather not have your corny cooties somehow rub off through the intertubes.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 11:59 PM

[quote]R3 toooo much chatter, not enough sewing.

Okay.

I like this vintage style channel best. This suit she makes is so amazing - the layered scrap fabric she adds, the beaded beetles. It’s very glamorous Lady Macbeth.

The content creator is really cool in that her message is “You really can do this; it’s not rocket science. If you work at it, you can draft your own patterns and things will FIT.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2024 12:35 AM

I am the sewist who was asked to leave the Fancy Joann’s “Learning to use your sewing machine” lesson, OP. I have taught myself many bad sewing habits and I’ve destroyed many machines and many pieces of clothing.

A recent failure was when I found a vintage Hermes sports jacket that was too tight in the chest and upper arms. I wanted to deconstruct, remove padding, perhaps add fabric to the armpits, and put it back together.

One, the padding was structural - better left in place. Two, the seam ripping was tedious and I had to be extra cautious because there were so many layers involved. Three, my replacement fabric matched color, but not weight and the one finished side looked stupid. It turned into a great excuse to tear apart a great jacket and see how it’s put together.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2024 10:41 AM

I'll watch your vids OP. Sewing is my favorite thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2024 10:54 AM

I like to sew. Quilts are my passion, but I have also made relatively unstructured clothing: drawstring pants, zippered jackets, vests. Lots of plush toys, holidays decorations and tote/craft bags as well.

It's a very satisfying hobby, perhaps not the cheapest, considering the cost of fabrics, notions and the purchase/upkeep of a sewing machine.

My craft room alone has enough fabric to supply a small shop, and there's a 4 foot tall stack of upholstery/drapery remnants in the basement that will outlast the pyramids.

If you want to see a mature 'fellow traveler' who primarily makes women's clothing, check out the videos(entitled "Sew What's New) of George W. Trippon. The man is a hoot and a half, but he knows his stuff. And he just LOVESSSSSSS to talk.

Once you have completed a few projects you'll be hooked, and will want to try many things. Happy Sewing!

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2024 2:09 PM

A thread about threads...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2024 2:29 PM

OP that's kind of weird - I have that r 1 blocked as well, and I only have 3 people blocked - not a clue what it did!

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 2:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!