Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you liked the Russian bots, you'll LOVE the Chinese bots

Chinese accounts are trolling online, attacking Biden and trying to stoke division ahead of the 2024 election

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2024 7:02 PM

I wish Fox had a shred of integrity, and CNN, etc. had balls to remind people of this daily. My idiotic sister is constantly "Oh my god, did you hear xyz..." or "I wonder why I keep getting emails about blah blah"

Related - what is up with the non-stop Chinese fake bots on Grindr of all places? These profiles in DC showing hot (AI?) Chinese guys, then they end up "wanting to help you make money..."

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 10:54 AM

The Chinese should be worrying about their own problems at home, like their super shitty economy and their population issues. Clean up your own house, bitches, before you try and mess with someone else's.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 10:55 AM

Sounds like the internet's going to be a lot of fun in Q3 and Q4!

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 10:58 AM

The Chinese hold enough US treasury bonds to not want to completely fuck us...for now.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 11:00 AM

Chinese and Chinese officials are not the same as other nations and the rest are the ones that have the same

(Just wrote that with autofill, don’t blame me)

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2024 11:30 AM

Oh, sure, Boris blame the Chinese. Why not blame Ukraine like you always do?

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2024 11:37 AM

You “Boris” clowns are a bit naive. Why do you think China wouldn’t try to fuck with our election? Every dictatorial rogue nation has an interest in getting Trump elected.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2024 11:56 AM

^ Ok, you both suck. Happy now, Boris?

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2024 11:59 AM

One way to deal with it would be to become more troll savvy. We always ask website operators to filter them out. But users should be more savvy, too. Personally, I don't care if a troll is causing a stir from Moscow, Shanghai or Orlando. If a post here on DL is only out to stir up shit I ignore at best or put on Ignore at worst. It's not difficult to identify them. Admittedly it's much harder not to take them as a real opinion. The key is to stay vigilant and not to engage with (any) troll. Let website providers do their part. But users need to do theirs, too.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2024 12:11 PM

Technically no the Chinese would not want Trump reelected because he started the trade war. The Russians would have it in their interest for a US Chinese trade war to continue.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2024 12:13 PM

Trump took a lot of “anti” Chinese actions that actually benefited China, such as the China Initiative that attacked American scientists of Chinese descent, which has caused many of them to flee to China rather than face bogus criminal charges here. It’s been much more helpful to China’s science ambitions than the expensive thousand talents program has been.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 12:21 PM

Where do I sign up to get paid by our enemies for my shitposting?

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 12:23 PM

^ Four potatoes, two beets and a bottle of vodka is pretty tempting 🤔

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 12:25 PM

R11= idiot

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2024 12:26 PM

Yep me and MIT, idiots all.

(Not that there aren’t real cases including Charlie Lieber, but the emphasis on answers to ambiguous (or after the fact definition) question on admin forms for FRE research was a favor to China)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2024 12:48 PM

oh here go hell come

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2024 12:50 PM

[quote] The Chinese should be worrying about their own problems at home, like their super shitty economy and their population issues.

They are. But a national government can do more than one thing at a time.

They want Trump as president because he’s incompetent, corrupt and divisive. The fact that our main rivals fear Biden so much actually tells you a lot about him.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2024 12:55 PM

R15 yes you are an idiot. That article made it clear the China Initiative was a xenophobic policy targeting Chinese researchers and its goal was to MAKE them leave the country.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 12:57 PM

Right, which is one of the reasons the CCP loves Trump. His superficially “tough on China” positions are are actually a favor to them.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 1:01 PM

FFS no one fears Biden except the night nurse. The Russians simply prefer Trump. The Chinese simply would prefer a foreign policy that isn’t tied to nativism. They would love either Nikki Haley or Gavin Newsom. The Chinese know that free-market economics (on the part of the United States only, free market for thee, not for me) best suits the interest of the CCP.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 1:02 PM

Oh, you’re one of those people who will twist any piece of evidence to suit their narrative.

You’re a conservative.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 1:03 PM

R21 was for r19.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 1:03 PM

(R18 think you need to go back and re-read my post since it appears we agree)

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 1:03 PM

Even if you were to take a xenophobic position against the Chinese, you would still be under the impression that the Chinese would WANT their researchers here, to spy on us.

You are taking the position that the Chinese don’t want their own researchers here, the researchers they sent, with the CCP’s approval. If the Chinese didn’t want those people here, they wouldn’t have allowed them to come.

Do people not remember the Soviet Union?

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2024 1:20 PM

The CCP wants US trained researchers recruited back to labs in China. It’s part of the Belt and Road Initiative. And don’t forget that what would be public findings in the US, good for the whole world will be proprietary in China.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 1:25 PM

Besides the china initiative under Trump didn’t go after spies. It went after people with typos on their other support documents.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2024 1:27 PM

Has Sum Ting Wong been deported?

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2024 1:38 PM

[quote] The CCP wants US trained researchers recruited back to labs in China.

Of course they do. They want them to achieve their research goals and come back to China to work for the CCP. Where they are able to pay them with money, because China doesn’t have Soviet-style communism.

You are saying that China wants the researchers they are sending on research visas to fail to complete their research and waste the money China spent sending them here.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2024 1:42 PM

The China initiative went after senior Investigators, many, if not most, of them US citizens or green card holders. You seem oddly invested in purposefully misrepresenting my posts and muddying the waters around the focus and impact of the China initiative.

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 2:01 PM

So you are saying the China Initiative, a racist initiative, was targeting US citizens of Chinese descent, and that China would WANT this because it would convince these Americans to renounce their citizenship and return to China, instead of, oh, I don’t know, simply going to work in the private sector?

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2024 2:43 PM

Yes and it is well documented

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2024 2:51 PM

Also see

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2024 2:53 PM

Did anyone else see Rachel Maddow’s A block on this last night?

(The Russian trolls supporting Trump part, not the Trump’s racist and xenophobic policies having hurt US scientific environment part)

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2024 11:51 AM

R33/ElderLez, I have it on DVR, but I haven't watched it yet.

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2024 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!