Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are some of you professional comedic writers?

I don't know if it's just been an especially good week or if this is more common than I've noticed, but many of the one-liners, quips, and tongue-in-cheek responses from many of you in various threads have genuinely made me laugh out loud. I'm beginning to wonder if we have more professional writers among us than usual. I wish DL had a Hall of Fame section for most hilarious OPs and/or replies. It'd definitely liven this place up.

What's the funniest post or reply you've read on here?

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2024 5:23 AM

OP we kinda did have a "Hall of Fame" for posts!

Wit and Wisdom used to be different. It used to be if a post got enough votes, it would appear on the W&W column on the DL homepage for all to see.

There was about 10-15 actives posts (maybe more?) at any given time on the W&W column that would then cycle out as some new W&W post replaced the older W&W posts.

It was actually awesome! To get a post on the W&W column was really fun and, no joke, a bit of an honor. Total bragging rights moment when it happened.

(The downside was that there was no W&W upvotes on posts themselves. So you either made that vaulted column or you got no love for even the wittiest posts.)

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 5:51 AM

r1 They need to bring that back, then. There are a lot of hilarious and thought-provoking posters whose material is only seen if you happen to be participating in the same threads. The closest we could get would be taking screenshots of posts and/or replies and relegating them to a single thread akin to the Theatre Gossip and MSNBC Threads.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 5:56 AM

I have observed that Seth Meyers' and Stephen Colbert's writers occasionally mine Datalounge for sardonic snarky takes.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 6:24 AM

Why don’t you start the thread, OP? I would at least like to know which posts you are referring to.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 6:24 AM

I’m a writer and I used to love DL, but I’m about to decamp to a private message board for industry types. I can’t stand the klan grannies and gossip columnists who lift everything from these threads. The trumptards and trolls have wrecked this board.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2024 6:45 AM

Now I desperately need to know if you’ve WW any of my comments.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2024 6:55 AM

Not only are most of us extremely witty and erudite, we also look at least ten years younger than our age.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2024 6:56 AM

[Quote] I’m a writer and I used to love DL, but I’m about to decamp to a private message board for industry types.

Enjoy the 3 active comments a week on your private board for industry types. We’re all so jealous of your impending decamping,,,

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2024 7:58 AM

I've been collecting witty DL remarks for years by copying them to a Word document. I started by keeping my favourite W&Ws when that column existed, and I agree, I want that back. My document is really long now and I read it when I need cheering up. Some of you are frickin' hilarious.

My most recent favourite was in one of the threads about Kate's cancer. Someone wrote something long and wise. Then came:

[quote]A well reasoned, compassionate post, [R65]. Get the fuck off this site now.

Then of course there were the Datalounge Ten Commandments, which I selected from various responses to the topic. Only seven really appealed as representative:

1. Covet thy neighbour’s ass, and try to post a picture of it too.

2. Honor thy mother or die trying. —Mrs. Patsy Ramsey Formerly of Boulder Colorado

3. Should any human mention the Data Lounge, thou shalt not hiss once and thou shalt not hiss twice, but thou shalt hiss thrice and then push the heretic down upon gravel, mulch, or decorative mosses.

4. Thou shalt dial a phone with a pencil.

5. Thou shalt not subtract more than a score from thine years on earth unless working with the blind or retarded.

6. Thou cannot live forever, but thou canst have a firey ass.

7. Thou shalt not drain thy pasta.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2024 10:55 AM

[quote]So you either made that vaulted column or you got no love for even the wittiest posts.)

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2024 1:41 PM

I wrote the dialogue for all those sped-up Benny Hill sketches.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 1:45 PM

R5 there is no relevant gossip for columnists to “lift” anymore on DL.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 1:48 PM

I am not a professional comedy writer, but I play one on TV.

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 1:57 PM

R8 is an actor. Guaranteed.

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2024 5:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!