Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

No Country for Old Men v. There Will Be Blood

No Country for Old Men is one of my favorite films. I first saw it in 2008 and have watched it at least a dozen times since.

I've always wanted to see There Will Be Blood, which also came out in 2007 and has certain similarities with NCFOM, and I finally watched it a few days ago. I liked it, but have only seen it once, and haven't thought enough about it yet.

So, DL. Which is the better film?

by Anonymousreply 53April 2, 2024 10:43 PM

There Will Be Blood is one of the best films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2024 8:05 PM

I think I need to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2024 8:13 PM

Ebert gave the edge to No Country. In his review of There Will Be Blood:

[quote]There Will Be Blood is the kind of film that is easily called great. I am not sure of its greatness. It was filmed in the same area of Texas used by "No Country for Old Men," and that is a great film, and a perfect one. But "There Will Be Blood" is not perfect

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2024 8:16 PM

I always mix these two up. Which one had Javier Bardem with the bowl cut?

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 8:22 PM

Just based on which one I'd rather re-watch: There Will Be Blood.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 8:23 PM

Loved No Country. for old men

Was bored to sleep by There will be blood.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2024 8:28 PM

r4 No Country

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2024 8:50 PM

Both overrated.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2024 9:06 PM

But which one is less overrated, r8?

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2024 9:16 PM

Definitely NCFOM.

Lew is was so fkn hammy in There Will Be Blood.

Viggo in Eastern Promises should have won.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 9:20 PM

"No Country" was more of an ensemble piece and had a lot of great performances.

"Blood" was mostly The Daniel Day Lewis Show.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2024 10:02 PM

Paul Dano stood out in "Blood," too. He played that hypocrite preacher so well. Scary, really.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2024 10:04 PM

No Country is a more compelling narrative—a great western noir “yarn” with uniformly great acting. “”Blood is more ambitious and audacious and so less satisfying as a story, but and Daniel Day-Lewis are astonishing in their reach. They are both wonderful, but in very different ways.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2024 10:18 PM

A tie for me! 50/50. Liked both.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 10:21 PM

I think Bardem completely deserved his oscar, he scared the shit out of me. I get nervous just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 10:22 PM

One person replying to himself just like his other threads.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 10:26 PM

Why don’t you flip a coin, friendo?

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 10:39 PM

Oh look. Another "OP replies to himself a lot" post.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 12:01 AM

r15 I stayed in one of the hotels in New Mexico that they used in the film.

I was afraid that he was hiding behind my door.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 12:55 AM

NCFOM for the win!

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 1:57 AM

They’re both great films, but TWBB has a very pervasive Kubrick-esque, unsettling, eerie quality that will be rewarded with time, whereas NCFOM is much more formulaic in comparison. It’s fun to compare them, but they are very different films aiming for different things. And, yes, I realize PTA did the entire end sequence as a subtle (?) homage to The Shining and his time “shadowing” Kubrick on Eyes Wide Shut.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 4:35 AM

So tough. I love both of them.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 4:43 AM

They’re both excellent but No Country has a scene that terrifies me every time I see it so it wins by a nose.

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 7:28 AM

Lewis’s performance felt similar to his performance in The Gangs of New York—both performances I didn’t care for. I did love him in My Left Foot.

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2024 7:33 AM

r23 which scene?

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 4:18 PM

No Cunty for Old Men

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2024 4:40 PM

[quote]I've always wanted to see There Will Be Blood, which also came out in 2007 and has certain similarities with NCFOM, and I finally watched it a few days ago. I liked it, but have only seen it once, and haven't thought enough about it yet.

Your aesthetic taste is as tortured as your language and reasoning skills, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2024 4:52 PM

Do rewrite my prose and show me how I can do better, r27.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2024 5:04 PM

* There Will be Blood* and it should have won for best picture. NO country for Old Men is also great, but TWBB should have won for best picture. Such bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 10:46 PM

TWBB too long and over the top. It doesn't hold up.

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2024 10:49 PM

Oh no! Have I uncovered DL's next "drained pasta" debate?

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2024 10:50 PM

UGH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2024 10:51 PM

Dano was perfect in this.

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2024 10:54 PM

Rewrite:

NCFOM and TWBB both came out in 2007. I understand that there are similarities between these two movies. I recently watched TWBB for the first time. I would like to watch it again to better compare it to NCFOM.

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2024 10:55 PM

* No Country for Old Men is a superior film,and it's my favorite of theirs, however TWBB is a character study of greed in the beginning of the 20th century and that's as greedy as it gets. As great as Javier Bardem is in that movie he I'd not as emotionally complex as Daniel Plainview.both being based on books, the films were as adapted from books, There Will Be Blood is the far superior film. Being that Paul Thomas Anderson forged his own narrative from a book, that is nothing like its source material. His characters feel like living breathing people, and the world that they inhabit is a world that feels historical. No Country for Old Men is a better book than Oil by Upton Sinclair, but There Will be Blood is in my opinion the most American film ever made. It delivered on its tagine "When Ambition, Meets Greed" in time it will dethrone Citizen Kane. Mark my words!

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2024 10:57 PM

r34 Meh. Too syntactically simple.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2024 11:02 PM

Lewis is a ham sandwich in r32’s link. I just hate it. What kind of accent is he supposed to have? It’s too much, too mannered. And he seems like a caricature.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 11:09 PM

R36, the purpose of writing is, in large part, to be understood.

Why don’t you rewrite it and make it more syntactically challenging?

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2024 11:29 PM

I did, r38. At OP.

And I was, in large part, understood, no?

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2024 11:45 PM

I really think NCFOM wins on the last scene alone. More is less sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2024 11:48 PM

Too syntactically complicated:

[quote]Once upon a time there lived in Berlin, Germany, a man named Albinus. He was rich, respectable, happy; one day he abandoned his wife for the sake of a youthful mistress; he loved; was not loved; and his life ended in disaster. This is the whole of the story and we might have left it at that had there not been profit and pleasure in the telling; and though there is plenty of space on a tombstone to contain, bound in moss, the abridged version of a man’s life, detail is always welcome.

Much improved!

[quote]Once in Berlin, Germany, there was a man named Albinus. He had lots of money, people respected him, and he was happy. One day, he left his wife for a younger girlfriend. He loved her, but she didn't love him back. In the end, his life didn't turn out well. That's the whole story. We could have stopped there, but telling stories is fun and sometimes useful. Even though a tombstone can sum up a person's life in a few words, it's nice to know the details.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2024 11:56 PM

[Quote] . And he seems like a caricature.

and it was widely parodied at the time R37

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2024 12:46 AM

There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece. That was evident in the first ten minutes of the film. It ranks alongside Kubrick’s best works.

No Country For Old Men is just a slasher film set in a different milieu with Javier Bardem as the Michael Meyers character. It’s not complicated in any way whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 43April 2, 2024 12:51 AM

[Quote] No Country For Old Men is just a slasher film set in a different milieu

R43 different than what? Is there a standard milieu for slasher films?

by Anonymousreply 44April 2, 2024 1:15 AM

r43 I think No Country is very complicated philosophically.

by Anonymousreply 45April 2, 2024 1:42 AM

Which one has nudity?

by Anonymousreply 46April 2, 2024 4:10 AM

R39, I was only responding to R27 and then R36. I didn't criticize your writing at OP. If anything, what I wrote was supportive of your writing.

So, let's just call it a day on this discussion.

by Anonymousreply 47April 2, 2024 4:19 AM

R25

by Anonymousreply 48April 2, 2024 4:54 AM

Sorry, hit post by mistake R25.

The scene where Javier Bardem is talking to the sweet old man in the corner store and flips the coin to see if he lives or dies. It makes me tear up because the old man is so harmless and he has no clue what kind of maniac he’s dealing with. I both love that scene and hate it. It makes me shiver just writing about it.

by Anonymousreply 49April 2, 2024 4:58 AM

Two of my favorite movies of all time. I give No Country the slight edge because I love Cormac's novel SOOOO much.

by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2024 5:15 AM

I saw both films in theaters. There Will Be Blood was an excellent theater experience but I've only felt the urge to rewatch it once since then. No Country is a more enjoyable movie and I've seen it about a dozen times. I think it's hard to stomach Daniel Plainview because he has this really ugly intensity. His eyes are black pits filled with hatred.

by Anonymousreply 51April 2, 2024 5:28 AM

I wish I'd seen it in the theater, r51

by Anonymousreply 52April 2, 2024 10:12 PM

TWBB was very unnerving in theaters. It was LOUD and the soundtrack sounded like an air raid siren. I bet they'll re-release it at some point, r51.

by Anonymousreply 53April 2, 2024 10:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!