Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Catching up on some 'classics' from TMC

The past few weeks I DVRd some classic movies from TCM, and got around to watching them this week. These are movies I'm certain everyone else has watched over the years, but I never got around to watching. Here's what I did watch so far:

'Laura' - excellent movie. I was hooked on the movie every step of the way.

'A Star Is Born' - never saw this Judy Garland version, and fell in love with this. She really was at her best in this film, as was James Mason. Both should have won Oscars. I can't believe how Streisand ruined this engaging story 22 years after.

'Cabin in the Sky' - this has got to be my favorite of the three I watched. Absolutely loved this movie, the music, the choreography. I can understand how the audience fell in love with Lena Horne back then. Ethel Waters was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2024 2:37 AM

TCM is by far my all-time favorite cable station.

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2024 4:25 PM

I think that Judy Garland and James Mason have fantastic chemistry . It is too early in the morning for my brain to pull the song up - but in the opening scene when he is drunk at the star studded event and he wanders out while Judy and the guys are singing and she has to make Norman part of the act so it looks like Movie Star Norman Maine is doing a great comedy skit. He is so twinkly and really enjoying Jusy. Love that scene.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2024 4:35 PM

Enjoy JUDY - I told you my brain wasn’t working! ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2024 4:36 PM

TCM is my favorite channel, too. When I had COX cable it wasn't part of my 'package deal' (I had to move up a level which was more than I could afford). Six months ago, I 'cut the cord' and went with YouTubeTV - and now I pay much less and get TCM in my service. So many movies to catch up with !

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 10:39 PM

Something is up at TCM and I think it's not long for this world. They only have about the same dozen movies in constant rotation week after week. Most of them have been mentioned above. I think they have lost all the rights to most movies due to studio mergers and streaming channels.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 10:50 PM

"The Boys in the Band" in 15 minutes.

8:00 p.m. ET. 7/11/24. TCM.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2024 11:46 PM

OOPS!

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2024 11:46 PM

Friday, TODAY, 7/12!

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2024 11:47 PM

So many classic movies can be seen on streaming platforms and YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2024 11:51 PM

R5. I've noticed they've been repeating the same movies every other week or so but they're also showing more recent films so who knows. Maybe it's a programming strategy. HBO sometimes shows the same movie 10x a week for 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2024 11:53 PM

R5 you are ignorant

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2024 11:55 PM

I got rid of cable TV at least fifteen years ago, and the only thing I miss about it is TCM. I think they would make money by offering it as a commercial-fee streaming service, especially if they limited the programming to the WB/MGM films they own. I'd be willing to pay up to $10-12 per month for it. I wouldn't pay a nickel for it if they interrupted the movies with commercials; I can get that for free on the digital OTA stations.

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2024 12:35 AM

When Robert Osborne died, some of the sheen of TCM died with him…

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2024 12:50 AM

Why do you say that R11? I happen to know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2024 12:54 AM

More than being a musical, 'A Star Is Born' is one of the most lavish melodramas of the mid-Hollywood Golden Era.

At the time it was the most expensive Hollywood film ever made after "Gone With the Wind" and you really see every nickel.

Judy Garland and James Mason are both sensational. I sometimes do Norman's Academy Awards scene "I need a job" speech around the house and I'm really pretty good!

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2024 2:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!