Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Watched "Dreamgirls" For the First Time in 10 Years Last Night. It's Not Very Good.

I remember when it first came out and I thought it was great. But after watching it again last night, I was less than impressed.

Beyonce is a terrible actress and a barely passable singer. That "Listen" number she does is just plain cringe. When the woman who plays her mom says, "I never thought of her as much of a singer," that was a spot-on piece of dialogue.

Jennifer Hudson probably shouldn't have won the Oscar. Yes, her big number is fantastic, but her acting overall was pretty amateurish. Same goes for Eddie Murphy. He was like a cartoon mash-up of James Brown and Marvin Gaye.

Even the music wasn't really indicative of the 1960s and 70s and all the songs kind had the same sound. I did like the "One Night Only" disco number in what was supposed to be Studio 54, though.

Other than that, it was kind of bland. They should've been true to the Supremes' story and had Jennifer Hudson die at the end, then have Beyonce showing up to her funeral and making it all about herself.

by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2024 10:22 PM

You made this thread a couple of months ago. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2024 4:09 PM

R1 No, I did not.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2024 4:10 PM

Yes. You did. It’s old. Get a job.

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2024 4:11 PM

R3 No, dear. I'm sorry you're so triggered, though.

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 4:13 PM

Same shit over and over. No job. No education. Just lying and trolling online everyday.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 4:15 PM

R5 Go take your meds, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2024 4:18 PM

R6 go get a job and sign up for some classes, retard.

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2024 4:20 PM

It's like the producers said, "Let's make a movie about Beyonce's costumes."

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2024 4:32 PM

When they did the montages of the Dreams in different cities around the world, there was some really amateurish green screen stuff going on.

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2024 4:42 PM

While people always like to compare the story to The Supremes, the meta commentary about Destiny's child with Beyonce starring was much more entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 4:52 PM

PS this is OP. He’s behind this account, the Teacake account, the NEW Teacake account etc. he just keep on doing the same shit over and over. Muriel keeps red tagging him but he doesn’t get the message. Typical of a retard.

We are over it. Quit making the same threads over and over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2024 4:56 PM

Troll accuser trolls are the CREEPIEST and most BORING posters on DL. I'm looking at you r11/every other accuser post in this thread. Even if the OP made this thread a couple of months ago, who cares? Besides creepy posters like yourself, of course.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2024 5:05 PM

R12 stop making the same thread over and over. This account will be redtagged soon with you continuing that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2024 5:07 PM

R12 I don't know what's up with that Mary.

It's clear that the Dreamgirls threads are very different from each other.

I think we have a crazed Beyonce stan on our hands.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 5:10 PM

While I like the movie enough because I like the show, I agree Beyonce is mediocre at best, as is Jennifer Hudson. Hudson can sing, but she's not a good actress. Plus, it's a crime they cut Lorelle's one big number to give additional songs to Hudson and Beyonce and Eddie Murphy.

The movie (and the play) kind of glosses over the fact that Deena is a cunt who stole her friend's boyfriend and absolves her of any guilt when Curtis turns his attention to her. Jamie Foxx played Curtis as such a cartoon villain.

The musical numbers are good.

This video is 14 years old, but it features three theater boys lip syncing to two of the Dreams' numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote] [R12] stop making the same thread over and over.

I'm not OP, you retarded psychopathic cunt. I'm just a concerned DLer.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 5:36 PM

I never saw the play. Is the movie faithful to the stage version?

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 5:42 PM

QUIT MAKING THE SAME THREADS OVER AND OVER r16. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 5:44 PM

OP it never was. Dreary expansion of the Broadway musical which was breezy and moved quickly gets bogged down in the usual backstage squabbles among a group of not very original or likable characters. None of the performers have the charisma of the prototypes they are based on.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 5:46 PM

Effie, we all got pain.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 5:49 PM

So he made a duplicate thread of his own thread and keeps replying to himself? 😆😆😆

The best part of him always doing that is it makes it easier for Muriel to know which accounts are his to red tag

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 5:50 PM

Anyone who thinks Beyonce can’t sing well must be tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 5:51 PM

R22 Beyonce screeches, she doesn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2024 5:59 PM

Beyonce is perfect BUT original Dreamgirls-Sheryl Lee Ralaph is Forever Deena Jones!

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2024 6:01 PM

It's a great musical that deserved a better movie.

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2024 6:02 PM

As I recall, Beyonce threw some not-so-subtle shade at Jennifer Hudson when the movie came out, because Jennifer was getting all the accolades and Beyonce was basically being ignored.

Didn't Beyonce give an interview where she said she wished she could have played Effie, but she wasn't the right "type" for the role, e.g, not obese like Hudson was at the time?

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2024 6:02 PM

HE HAS COMMENTED ABOUT 11 TIMES ON A THREAD WITH 26 comments!!!

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2024 6:04 PM

Hadn’t hear till now George Santos was up for the Effie role,thx for cancer cure georgie girl.

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2024 6:07 PM

He stinks soooo bad

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2024 6:12 PM

Beyonce was even worse in Obsessed.

How Jennifer won an Oscar over Cate Blanchett or Adriana Barraza I'll never know.

Satanic conspiracy theorists say that Hudson made a deal with the devil during some Hollywood Satanic ceremony and asked for acting/music success and in return the devil took the lives of her mother, brother, and nephew.

Yes, I know I spend too much time on Tiktok, but I love the Tinseltown worshipping satan videos.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2024 6:19 PM

Yes she did R26. She basically said they wouldn’t give her Effie because she wasn’t fat enough and told her to tone down her singing on the movie so she wouldn’t outshine Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2024 6:20 PM

I like the movie, it’s fun and campy although I hate the song “We Are a Family”. I always felt bad for the 3rd dream girl ( I can’t even remember her name) because Beyonce/Jennifer got all the attention.

I loved it when Jennifer called Jaime fat at the end of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2024 6:21 PM

R31 What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2024 7:26 PM

R32, Anika Noni Rose played Lorrell. And yes, she gets shafted, but so does the character in the play, which focuses on Effie and Deena. At least in the play Lorrell gets one big solo number.

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2024 7:28 PM

It's kind of telling that you never hear Jennifer or Beyonce speak of each other these days, good bad, or otherwise

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2024 7:30 PM

You know, Effie doesn't have to be fat... she just needs the voice. The only time her weight is referenced is in It's all over and that could be explained by Effie's pregnancy

by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2024 9:26 PM

R36 Jennifer Holliday, the original Broadway Effie, made Jennifer Hudson's Effie look svelte.

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2024 9:30 PM

“And after 7 years, it don’t take a smarty to realise that even though my man throws confetti in my face it STILL don’t make it no party! This ain’t no party, baby!”

by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2024 9:48 PM

It's really tiring to watch, with every performance wallowing in oversinging that quickly turns into screeching.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2024 10:00 PM

Dreamgirls always had book problems, 2nd act problems. There’s just no coming back from And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going - everything after that is a bit of a snooze. In the film, they try to shift sympathies to Beyoncé’s character but she’s never been sympathetic. On stage, in the original Broadway production at least, this was somewhat overcome by the late Michael Bennett’s virtuosic staging, which from start to finish, made up for a lot of the book’s flaws, along with a stellar cast including the aforementioned Jennifer Holiday (just 21 y.o.), Sheryl Lee Ralph, Ben Harley, Cleavant Derricks, the Burrell sisters, Obba Babatunde - the show just OOZED talent.

Bennett’s staging was remarkable, which Bill Condon does a good job of at least being conscious of in the film, giving things a sense of dimension. On stage, there were 5 or 6 towers that were on computerised tracks, and assumed every imaginable configuration to suggest the showbiz locations. The set by the great Robin Wagner was amazing - the show seemed incredibly cinematic, it never stopped, every scene just dissolved into another, there were theatrical equivalents of cinematic wipes and immediate changes of the audiences pov - in a moment, you’d be out front watching the characters perform their music and then there’d be a quick shift and suddenly you were backstage, suddenly positioned behind the performers. You were just engaged by the whole thing because of the staging was so fascinating to watch. When Effie finished And I’m Telling You - which went on for quite some time because Holiday brought the house down and sang with a gospel fervour not included on the studio recording - Effie reached out to the audience as her dressing table was pulled back and a glittering tinsel backdrop came down and there were the new Dreams on stage doing a short reprise of Heavy that ended the 1st act. The staging was breathtaking.

A big standout in the 1st act was Steppin’ To The Bad Side which had amazing choreography and was performed in like three different iterations as the scene progressed from a book song to a hit song performed by James Thunder Early and The Dreams. There were entire set pieces lowered from the heavens, the stage was full of dancers. The entire show was a full-on entertainment - all killer, no filler. It was so fluid.

Sheryl Lee Ralph was absolutely gorgeous and sang like a dream. She was like a black Barbie doll, which I was kind of the point of the character. In the 2nd act she was as light as air, her voice was so smooth and beautiful. Her big number was the duet with Curtis, played by the smoking hot Ben Harney (Tony winner), When I First Saw You. Deena doesn’t have that Listen number in the stage musical. At least Bennett knew to keep the 2nd act tight. And in the early ‘80s, The Supremes story was still well known, Ross was arguably at her peak as a solo artist - so the 2nd Act was more like “Flo Ballard’s Revenge” or at least “Effie Strikes Back”. Audiences wanted to see the Effie character succeed and that was the focus of the 2nd Act which was kind of saved by Holiday’s numbers I Am Changing and One Night Only. Padding it out in the film and only worsens the problem.

I’d say the Dreamgirls film is probably as good as the show but it was something that was absolutely dazzling on stage - and unlikely to ever be recreated. But Condon does his best to capture that on camera in his own innovative ways. But there will never be another staging of this as good as Michael Bennett’s.

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2024 10:23 PM

Thank you R40. I know someone who loved the stage version of Dreamgirls and described in similar terms to what you wrote.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2024 10:44 PM

The way he keeps replying to himself thinking no one knows….

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2024 10:45 PM

[quote] You know, Effie doesn't have to be fat... she just needs the voice. The only time her weight is referenced is in It's all over

Her weight is referenced in the "Heavy" sequence.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2024 10:48 PM

[quote]You know, Effie doesn't have to be fat... she just needs the voice. The only time her weight is referenced is in It's all over

One of the key themes is beautfy vs. talent. Of course, she needs to be fat.

It's the "reason" that her talent wasn't enough while Deena became a star with much less talent.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2024 10:53 PM

The LSA Mammies aren’t working at the DMV or Home Depot this weekend so they’re on here to keep everyone in line.

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2024 11:01 PM

fascinating read

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2024 11:11 PM

Beyonce said that? Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2024 11:17 PM

Probably would've worked better with Julia Roberts as Deena.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2024 11:20 PM

It's not memorable because the material is only ok.

What made the show a massive hit was the Michael Bennett staging. It made a pretty good book and score pure magic.

by Anonymousreply 49April 1, 2024 12:10 AM

The musical numbers in the film are very well done, but some of the dialogue scenes are a little slow and hollow.

by Anonymousreply 50April 1, 2024 12:16 AM

On stage, it was pretty much all sung through. In the film, they try to use some of those lyrics as dialogue and it just sounds stilted.

Jimmy doesn’t die in the stage show, he just hits rock bottom. Cleavant Derricks as Jimmy was very much one thing - in the mould of James Brown - so when they try to make him more mainstream the results were highly contrasted. Eddie Murphy isn’t a quarter of the singer he was and somehow they try to make him more multi-faceted. The film really flattens that character out. On stage, that arc is more compressed and the audience just loved Derricks (he also won a Tony), who could not be contained.

by Anonymousreply 51April 1, 2024 1:00 AM

R47 "It's an ensemble cast. I knew that going in, and I was fine with that, because I'm not doing this to become a star or prove that I can sing,"

What a shady cunt.

by Anonymousreply 52April 1, 2024 1:02 PM

[quote]Probably would've worked better with Julia Roberts as Deena.

Chrissy Metz IS Effie Melody Black

by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2024 1:30 PM

Some of yall cunts stay lying and putting black against black. Been doing since the beginning of time. There is nothing but love between Jhud and The Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2024 11:54 PM

R54 That interview is from 7 freaking years ago.

Keep tryin'.

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2024 12:50 AM

R55 Hoe please. You keep trying. A poster clearly posted that there was bad blood between them since the filming of Dreamgirls. 7 years ago was 10 years from the films release. I’ve seen them speak well of each other even more recently when Jhud sung the national anthem at some big sporting event. Yet as typical yall lie and change the argument.

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2024 12:52 AM

For anyone who has rewart

by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2024 12:55 AM

R56 Another crazy Beyonce fan gurl.

by Anonymousreply 58April 2, 2024 12:56 AM

20 years from now, we're going to have crazy fangurls for Beyonce who make the Streisand fangurls seems like casuals.

by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2024 10:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!