Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergay " Bóomers". What are some day to day things you do save money?

I never...

Use Door dash, InstaCart, or order food delivery.

Use pods. I use powdered laundry detergent, 2 tablespoons is enough in a front loader.

No bars for me! The drinks are better at home.

Am an early adopter of new technology. I wait a year to see if all the bugs are worked out and if it's an item that I would really use and result in Life enhancement.

Body wash, I use bar soap

Shop at Whole Foods, I frequent Aldi or Lidil

Buy anything " in season". I love end of season clearances.

What advice do you have to offer?

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 4:36 AM

No avocado toast

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2024 12:50 AM

I don't stop making money so I don't have to discover new ways to save money.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2024 12:52 AM

I’m with you on the bar soap; why waste so much money and plastic?? I still use shampoo/conditioner in plastic bottles, but only because my hairdresser sister gives them to me for free - otherwise I’d use bars.

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2024 1:04 AM

Ask the boomers’ parents. They were the ones who made do with less. They ate sawdust and made baby toys at home.

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 1:06 AM

I shop carefully at Goodwill & thrift stores. You can find nice clothes with lots of wear left in them........ Some of the name brand clothes still have the store tags on them.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 1:10 AM

Virtue-signalling humblebrag thread

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2024 1:18 AM

Limit restaurants to only a few nights a month.

Don’t have a car.

Put aside $5,000 a month for savings,

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2024 1:23 AM

I use digital coupons when I do food shopping. Also prefer to use Goodwill in the more expensive cities in my area for wardrobe replenishment. When I need a car I buy used. Libraries have a lot of free service such as free audio books and DVDs and free streaming proived by Hoopla and Kanopy.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2024 1:23 AM

A Roku is less than the price of two movie tickets in the big city. Get one and discover the wonders of Tubi and Pluto TV (both free). See if your public library has Kanopy or Hoopla, two streaming services for library members.

Download the Libby app (also free) and check out tons of e-books and new magazines from the library. They also have audiobooks for those who like 'em.

Podcasts generally are free.

Check out the benefits of a local credit union versus a big bank. They tend to be better, not charging fees for things like money orders, and many don't require a minimum balance before they start to charge your account every month.

Look into low-cost phone carriers like Mint Mobile. T-Mobile has the best plan for people over 55 but you have to get two lines.

If you don't want a Costco membership but would save money on one big-ticket item there, get the membership, buy the item (they can save you hundreds), and then return the membership and get your money back pro-rated.

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote]Put aside $5,000 a month for savings

I make $2400 CANADIAN a month. How do you suggest I do this, R7?

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 1:28 AM

I don't drink coffee.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2024 1:29 AM

Get a better job. What are you waiting for?

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2024 1:30 AM

R10 here… I’m thinking now your post (R7) might have been satirical, but I’m just too angry and in pain (I’m 54, but have suffered from premature osteoarthritis/psoriatic arthritis for over twenty years, so forgive me if I went off half-cocked.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2024 1:33 AM

Yes shop the Goodwill Stores in the better neighborhoods......the rich folks who live nearby donate their stuff there.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 1:46 AM

[quote] Put aside $5,000 a month for savings,

Why? You're old, you have the money, so why not live while you still have a little bit of life left in you?

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 1:59 AM

I spend less.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 2:50 AM

You can save by buying the clothing of the dead rich boomers on eBay. Some of it is quality construction, nice fabrics. Lots of pleats though.

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 2:54 AM

Never buy a new car. I'm driving a 16 year old Prius. Buy books from Ebay, buy lots of things from Ebay.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 4:29 AM

I'm frugal and I did buy a new car. I couldn't find a used car I wanted and I tend to keep my cars for a long time. I don't regret buying a new car. There's no mystery about what happened to it before I got it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 4:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!