Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oakland Airport wants to rename itself to make fool travelers

The Port of Oakland will consider changing the name of the city's airport to San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport from the current official title of Metropolitan Oakland International Airport.

While the airport code would remain OAK, the new name would "boost inbound travelers' geographic awareness of the airport's location on the San Francisco Bay," Port Commission President Barbara Leslie said in a statement Friday.

The airport has lost routes, including 39 of 54 that were added from July 2008 to March 2024, Interim Director of Aviation Craig Simon said.

"Market research and interviews with airline partners have shown that routes have not performed as well as they should have due to the lack of geographic awareness, making air carriers reluctant to sustain and add new routes in Oakland," he said.

Rechristening the airport would protect 30,000 direct jobs and $1.6 billion in economic impact on the region, Leslie said.

The port's commissioners will consider the name change at their April 11 meeting.

-------------

[quote] the new name would "boost inbound travelers' geographic awareness of the airport's location

Travelers know where Oakland is and how bad it is. Oakland Airport is now turning to its more marketable neighbor in a bid to boost its own fortunes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2024 1:02 AM

Don’t make fool of no one!

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2024 12:40 AM

Fool travelers into thinking they're landing in a city that isn't a crime pit. They can't even keep an In-N-Out Burger open.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2024 12:43 AM

The shuttle that goes to BART is right at Oakland Airport so if people want to go to San Francisco, they just go across the parking lot and get on a train to SF. I'd rather take my chances with Oakland Airport that doesn't have the oft delays SFO tends to have.

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2024 12:52 AM

Yeah, OAK and BART is a pretty easy-breezy way to get to downtown San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 1:19 AM

"Crime pit" notwithstanding, OAK is a good airport for certain destinations in SF and there generally aren't issues just going from the airport to SF. That said, coattailing on SF is sort of cheap. Why not just call it San Francisco International Airport East if having SF in the name is so important.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 3:23 AM

I used to fly cross country monthly. There was a huge difference in experience between JFK-SFO and EWR-OAK.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2024 10:31 PM

Changing the airport name will smooth it all out

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2024 10:33 PM

I used it a couple of times when I lived in San Francisco. The only unpleasantness (then, anyway--last time, 2006) was having to take a shuttle bus to get to the airport from the BART station. Not optimal, but not disqualifying, for me, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2024 10:36 PM

[quote] There was a huge difference in experience between JFK-SFO and EWR-OAK.

What were those differences?

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2024 10:55 PM

Newark is not a secondary airport like Oakland, it’s a primary airport and United’s East Coast hub.

Oakland is a classic secondary airport like Burbank, Dallas Love, Chicago Midway, Houston Hobby or Fort Lauderdale Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 11:00 PM

It's a nice airport. I prefer it to SFO, even if it requires a ride over the bay.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 2:49 AM

Oakland is closer than San Jose. Not sure, but I think people fly into SJ and then commute to SF.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 2:56 AM

SJ is a nice, easy-to-use airport IMO.

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 2:58 AM

I actually think SFO has good vendors. I haven't been there for a while, but I prefer SFO to the United terminal in LAX.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2024 3:04 AM

The entirety of LAX sucks balls as the kids say.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2024 3:07 AM

I'm not saying it's great, but I've never had a problem at LAX. I hear so many negative takes, but I guess luckily it hasn't happened for me.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2024 3:09 AM

Are they going to move to Las Vegas if they do not get their way?

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2024 3:17 AM

They should name it Airport McAirportface.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 3:32 AM

[quote] The entirety of LAX sucks balls as the kids say.

It's good that they know it's a great airport, even at a young age, then.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 6:05 AM

This is stupid and I suspect it's a Fox "News" meme.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 6:08 AM

OAK is a terrific airport.

Re the name change: I do know a person (of the East) who told me they were going to "fly into Oakland, then drive up the coast" to visit me. I had to tell them their 'drive up the coast' would take about 15 mins.

The adjacency to SF is cloaked in fog!

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 6:54 AM

I’m reminded of when the residents of East Detroit voted to rename their city Eastpointe so as to disavow any connections with the neighboring Detroit. I so wanted residents of Detroit to retaliate by voting to rename their city Pointe.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 7:05 AM

r8, there's an elevated monorail train now that connects the Coliseum BART station to OAK. It's fast and convenient.

The proposed name change is stupid, would confuse travelers, and it ain't gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2024 11:45 PM

Monorail!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2024 12:04 AM

The Oakland-San Francisco transport links might better knocked down by wrecking balls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2024 12:32 AM

I used to fly into OAK. It was fine unless you had to wait around Coliseum Station to catch BART into the city. It was Philly/Baltimore level shady.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2024 12:33 AM

Thanks for the update, R23.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2024 1:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!