Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hair Salon Snobbism?

DL hairstylists and others in the know, please help me answer this question: Do higher-end hair salons or certain hairstylists try to build a clientele comprising only affluent or upper-middle class professionals while discouraging the patronage of working-class and pink-collar clients? My own experience makes me think they might, but I'm not an insider, just a lowly office worker who would like nicely styled hair and is willing to pay for it. After all, why shouldn't a working girl have a bit of sassy GLAMAH?

As background, I always come to my appointments on time, am cheerful with the stylists, and tip at least 30%. I have never once complained about a cut I received or thrown a Karen tantrum. The salons know enough about my background, however, to understand that I live in a low-rent hood and hold a very ordinary job. Interestingly to me, after my initial appointments, they seem to find a variety of ways to discourage me from repeat visits (stylist not taking new clients; stylist sick today, etc.). Can you tell me what's up with this, DL stylists? I never had this happen in years past, because I always got my hair cut at discount salons.

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2024 9:10 PM

Is your name Cheryl by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2024 10:41 PM

Zudora don't work on just anybody, ya know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2024 10:42 PM

If it’s a repeat visit, how does “stylist not taking new clients” work?

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2024 10:43 PM

Hi, R3--I hadn't been to the salon for a couple of years (I was cutting my own hair to save money), and they told me I was therefore considered a new client, and my stylist wasn't taking new clients anymore. The salon did offer to place me with another stylist, but I was a pissed Karen by that point and decided to go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2024 10:46 PM

High-end salons are rarely worth the money.

You can get a good cut somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2024 10:48 PM

OP is a HAIR HOPPER

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2024 10:49 PM

MMM. I go to a great salon in the gayborhood in Philly. Gay-owned and mostly gay clientele. Four chairs. One straight stylist that most people lust after, the others are very good stylists but not hot (IMO).

Anyway, there seems to be a very wide range of clientele. But then the owner is from a working class S. Philly Italian background. Many years ago I did a fancier salon with video and wine and salad etc. The owner was a big shot but of course the six or seven "girls" with chairs were just ordinary folks.

I like the free glass of cheap wine but the hair cuts weren't much.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2024 10:51 PM

Did they tell you "We are a private salon, catering to ravishing beauties ONLY"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2024 10:52 PM

Has your mugshot been posted recently? Did you do something public and/or horrible to someone? If you can answer "yes" to any of these questions, the problem is you.

Stylists always get the best gossip. They hear everything, about everyone. If you were rude, violent, have been incarcerated but your daddy got you out of jail, or whathaveyou...a good stylist will know as soon as your name comes up.

Stick to cutting your own hair, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2024 11:38 PM

" The salon did offer to place me with another stylist, but I was a pissed Karen by that point and decided to go elsewhere. "

So you answered your own stupid question

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2024 11:43 PM

I am always welcomed.

Happy Easter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote] Hi, [R3]--I hadn't been to the salon for a couple of years (I was cutting my own hair to save money), and they told me I was therefore considered a new client, and my stylist wasn't taking new clients anymore. The salon did offer to place me with another stylist, but I was a pissed Karen by that point and decided to go elsewhere.

This is a big detail to leave out.

Two years is a long time to be away. It's understandable that a good stylist would not be taking new clients. If you acted like a Karen, then they won't want to deal with you, anyway.

In my 20s, I went to a high-end salon. (I was working in restaurants.) The stylist was a friend of a friend. I felt welcome in the salon. My stylist also did my coworker's hair.

The only other thing I can think of is that you don't "buy enough services or products." I'm guessing you're a woman and they want to upsell -- do color, sell hair care products, etc. If you're "only" paying for a cut, maybe they want clients who they can upsell.

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2024 11:48 PM

My sister is a high-end stylist. She does take new clients when she’s able, but someone acting like a “Karen” might get the receptionists to lie and say she can’t. It would have nothing to do with the client having cut their own hair, and everything to do with them being a cunt, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2024 11:52 PM

OP didn't say she was a "pissed off Karen" toward THEM, just that she was pissed off. She was on the phone with them, most likely. One can be pissed off and still stay cordial while getting the news.

Just saying, we shouldn't jump to conclusions that OP Karen'ed out on them because she couldn't get the stylist she previously had. She could've Karen'ed in private.

I know I've Karen'ed privately before when I was upset about something, even whined to a friend, but still kept my cool outwardly in the moment. Hasn't everyone?

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 12:03 AM

take your business where you are appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 12:04 AM

r14 You have no more idea than anyone else, says the dumbass who suggests "we shouldn't jump to conclusions." OP is the doofus who even brought up going Karen.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 12:31 AM

r16 do you always need to name-call to make your point? Did someone do that to you when you were growing up?

You know, it's possible to just state your opinion and point without calling someone a "dumbass" or a "doofus." As adults, we really don't need to resort to that during a normal conversation. You seem triggered.

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 12:43 AM

R17 Frau alert!!!! This ain't Mommy Central bitch, go die a thousand times.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 1:15 AM

My regular stylist moved away and I had a terrible time finding someone I liked. I finally gave up and went to a very upscale salon, nice girl, first cut was great. second time she cut my hair not using my natural part, so it never looked right. I went back for a third appointment, mentioned that the last cut wasn't quite right with my natural part, she spent a total of 15 minutes with me from the time I sat in her chair, to the time I was back in my car...to the tune of 90 bucks, that was it for me. I now go to a local barber chain "Rudy's" had a great cut, shampoo with nice massage, 55. plus tip...going back the this guy next week.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 1:28 AM

R11 is that a penis bouncy house???

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 1:39 AM

R19 what kind of massage?

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 1:41 AM

I always called it snobbery, but I guess snobbism is a word.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 1:46 AM

r22 ok

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2024 1:56 AM

So what the fuck do we care about why people don't want to work with you, OP?

Have you checked yourself for lice?

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2024 2:16 AM

May I suggest Mister Ray's Wig World?

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2024 2:20 AM

[quote] she cut my hair not using my natural part

That’s not okay for someone charchimg that much, R19! They should know better!

I really don’t give a shit about my hair, but am R13 with the high-end stylist sister who always cuts my hair, so have absorbed a few things ober the years. One of those things is that a good hairdresser can not only tell where your hair naturally parts (a no-brainer), but also ASKS how you prefer it to lie. I swear, going to a good barber can be a much better experience all-round, as you have found.

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2024 2:24 AM

r26 You swear?

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2024 2:39 AM

By my troth, R27

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2024 2:42 AM

I can usually tell within the first few minutes whether a haircut is going to be good or bad. There's a certain confidence and rhythm, working the hair in sections...I hate it when a stylist is slow, cut a little here, bounce to the other side, snip a little...you just know it's going to be a cluster fuck.

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2024 2:43 AM

I think your location and your rates dictate your clientele as much as word of mouth.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2024 2:48 AM

Nowadays, who ever has the cash and the time gets the service.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2024 2:49 AM

I think the truly high end big shots like Kenneth when he was alive, are booked so carefully and so far in advance and of course they have their standing appointments, that a mere nobody, even a wealthy nobody, couldn't get in to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2024 2:50 AM

This is an EST. It may happen in real life but it hasn't happened to OP.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2024 2:59 AM

[quote] I hate it when a stylist is slow, cut a little here, bounce to the other side, snip a little...you just know it's going to be a cluster fuck.

I disagree with this. I had a hairstylist who took her time and circled around me while I was in the chair. She was really treated the haircut like a sculpture. It was expensive, but I've never had a haircut like that, before or since.

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2024 3:01 AM

about ten years ago, I lived in a very affluent area suburban to Detroit. Out in Oakland County. The second generation and third generation of the Automotive crowd had abandoned Grosse Pointe leaving it to the doctors, lawyers, and public utilities big shots. These moneyed society people, big name high society types lived in Birmingham. There was a salon my mother's rich friend told her about, (They played tennis together) that was down a tiny brick lane barely noticeable from the street,in the business district. No name on the door, no indication it was even a business. It looked like it may have housed offices. Anyway, this was the Stylist to the bigshots. She agreed to do my mother's hair for her30th wedding anniversary, and I never saw my mother look so good. But then when Ma tried to book her again she didn't even return her calls. If she didn't know you personally she just ghosted you.

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2024 3:10 AM

R35, that is fascinating. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2024 10:49 AM

Fuck those cunts! Save your time and money!

Search "Flowbee Women's Haircuts" on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2024 11:41 AM

Hon, I’m takin’ new clients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2024 11:47 AM

I'm such a rude freak I can't get a haircut at all. I just give myself a full buzzcut once a year or so after my hair reaches my shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2024 11:48 AM

I buzz my head about once a month with the same clippers that I use on the cat.

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2024 1:05 PM

Go to Supercuts and ask for the Sinead.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2024 1:11 PM

Years ago I was a stylist. One thing stylists depend on? Paying clients. I’ve never known a stylist to discourage any paying client unless they were a major pain in the ass to deal with. I had only one like that who continually made me run over time because nothing was ever right. She was costing me money, so we had the “difficult” conversation. I cant speak for high end salons, but even those need paying clients - probably more so.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2024 1:12 PM

Top notch OP.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2024 1:16 PM

They don't want you telling people where you got the shitty hairstyle you demanded.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2024 2:21 PM

If they're booked, they're booked. My shop stops taking new clients once it takes longer than 2 weeks to schedule a regular.

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2024 2:38 PM

I paid a 1500 retainer and my stylist still has difficulty fitting me in, but she's the best so I deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2024 2:43 PM

We've only got to look at the average celebrity making a public appearance to know that upmarket salons aren't necessarily any better than ordinary ones. Name me one contemporary female celebrity whose hair always looks fabulous, whether she's performing, on the red carpet or doing an interview.

Here's a hot tip: If you're thinking of changing hairdressers, check out the new one's website. Quite often there is a tab called "Careers" or something, and if you click that it shows you their job ads. In the first place it tells you what staff they are missing. If Principal Cutter and Principal Colorist are on the list, skip the salon. In the second place, the job ad often includes details like "the salary is X [low], but you will receive a 20% commission on any products you can sell to customers. Staff are expected to earn at least X% of their total salary in commissions."

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2024 3:14 PM

I’ve been to high end salons and strip mall franchise salons and I think the Supercuts types are better at haircuts because of mass volume practice. Not sure about hair coloring or other services.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2024 3:33 PM

1500 retainer? Are you a man? Are you over 40 years old?

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2024 3:41 PM

The hair salon experience is VERY different for men and women, so we should specify gender in comments. OP and others , can we please give some pricing details? I think a 30% sounds excessive.So if OP is paying $120, you leave a $40 tip?

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2024 3:53 PM

[quote] This is an EST. It may happen in real life but it hasn't happened to OP.

How uneventful is your life that you think this experience is so out of the ordinary that it warrants being labelled an EST?

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2024 4:57 PM

Having had a had a terrible argument with my boss, and already a 5th avenue colorist working a block away from his Sherry Netherland salon, I went to audition for Garren.

At the time Garren did every fashion magazine cover, the position at his salon would’ve been the absolute pinnacle of my career, and plenty of my clients already went to him ($800 a cut). One of my feisty redheads had given me the greatest compliment when she said while she sat in his shop his three other colorists went right up to her to ask who did her color…I always interview great, and he asked that I bring three clients to his shop the next day so he could see my work.

I had all my clients lined up and the morning of the interview, then two colorists at my job quit suddenly, and I was promoted. I called Garren and cancelled the interview. Six months later his shop closed and he owed everyone money. I dodged a bullet!

If you go to a high end salon, only go to the owner. Everyone else is smoke and mirrors. Garren, Fekkai, and Ted Gibson all shuttered salons before I left NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2024 5:24 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2024 5:27 PM

High end salons are the EPITOME of snobbism, R53. With three strokes of his shears, Garren can do a beautifully layered cut. I’ve been doing hair for 35 years and couldn’t do that. My (wayward) point is there are indeed skilled hairdressers that can fetch top dollar, but all the ego can’t keep their salon doors open.

Save your money and go to a lower priced salon where they do a LOT of hair and find the business stylist. They’ll be just as good as an $800 one.

by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2024 5:39 PM

“Busiest”

by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2024 5:48 PM

wine and salad

Salad in a place where hair is being cut?

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2024 5:52 PM

I've been to Vidal Sassoon...

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2024 5:59 PM

R51 Reading skills are not your strong suit. I said the scenario happens. Many businesses in the carriage trade can be snobbish about their clientele. I said this scenario hasn't happened to OP. He packaged a story for our discussion and debate.

by Anonymousreply 58March 31, 2024 8:34 PM

R18, get help.

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2024 9:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!