Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Appearing together at a fund-raiser in open-neck shirts, do ex Presidents look casual or ‘a little disheveled’?

DL Style Section.... Take the floor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2024 10:28 AM

non paywall link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2024 10:20 AM

Jason Bateman looks so HOT in this photo. I love the long hair and beard.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2024 10:23 AM

Bateman looks fucking ridiculous here. He’s like a homeless meth-head

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2024 10:30 AM

Maybe I just woke up horny or something, but I think they all (the presidents) look surprisingly sexy like that. Having Obama present somehow makes Biden seem younger and more virile.

Obama, Biden, and Clinton together in one room is like the trifecta of Elder-BDE.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2024 10:39 AM

Ties are so tired. In case you haven't noticed, men of all ages have been ditching the tie for the last decade or so, in all professions. I know, I know, "they will never go out of style, they make a man look professional," yeah, so did the top hat.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2024 11:00 AM

That's our guys! Our sexy presidents!

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2024 11:21 AM

r5 I get neither the appeal nor the purpose of ties, worst piece of garment ever "invented". And for some reason wearing one is a mark of respectability. Who decided that, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2024 11:38 AM

Who sent the “no neckties, please” dress code?

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2024 11:42 AM

Eldergays are still bitter that women don't wear white gloves and hats in public anymore, how do you think they feel about no ties on men?

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2024 11:43 AM

I watched a sort of documentary about Bateman, Hayes and Arnett’s podcast taping on the road. It showed the relationships between the guys and a bit of their interaction in hotels, planes and backstage. It looked like Bateman had the tightest focus on staying trim and fit. He was very blunt about it. Staying trim is as big of a deal for men as it has always been for women. It’s like a sign of stature.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2024 11:46 AM

It is for me, R10. I’m at the same weight as I was over 40 years ago, when I was in my mid-20s.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2024 11:49 AM

Is the necktie going the way of the monocle?

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2024 11:51 AM

R8 I'd like to believe that after a few drinks, Obama went down the line slowly removing each of their ties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2024 11:55 AM

I don't mind the no tie thing but it looks better with less corporate looking suiting like sortscoats, grey or lighter tones.

With a dark blue worsted suit, it just looks like you took it off after leaving work.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2024 11:57 AM

The necktie is antiquated. These days the only message it sends is stodgy old man. The "professional" appearance it once was know for is gone.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2024 11:58 AM

I imagine ties are still required in courtrooms.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2024 12:01 PM

Obama looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2024 12:01 PM

Neckties can also sometimes look like you work on the sales floor of a posh department store or maybe antique store.

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2024 12:02 PM

Ties haven’t served a purpose in ages. It makes sense that they would go away completely. But, although they all look good, the attire seems too casual for an expensive fundraiser. I don’t know what the alternative is, though.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2024 12:05 PM

President Obama looks really thin and slight. Bateman is a rail, and he looks sturdier than Obama when standing beside him. The photo is unusual. It shows the posture and build of these men in a relatively “unstaged” setting. Hayes looks like he trimmed way down, even since the taping of this season of Curb Your Enthusiasm (he plays Larry’s attorney).

I read a long time ago in Movieline about some of the things performers do to stay thin. It’s pretty rough. Colonics before an event, salt water to somehow make you look leaner and more defined, and for a while phenteramine and stimulants like that.

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2024 12:12 PM

Biden always looks great in blue.

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2024 12:16 PM

They look happy not wearing ties. Makes all of them look younger. Clinton looks better than usual.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2024 12:16 PM

I wouldn't have recognized Sean Hayes... Time marches on

They look fine. Trump kind of killed the whole tie thing with his extra-long red stained bib he wears all the time

by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2024 12:26 PM

And not a single tan suit anywhere 🙄

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2024 12:27 PM

Is the necktie on its way out? Why that's bad news for Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2024 12:34 PM

Someone needs to photoshop Trump in full prison garb in there so the world can see who the gate crasher was in this very exclusive club

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2024 12:35 PM

I love the look of a dress suit and necktie on anybody.

Male, female, binary, non-binary, what-have-you.

But I do agree with what's posted here, too. Neckties are on the way out and should be, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2024 12:49 PM

I’m looking at the photo again and maybe the shirts do look a little disheveled. Moving past neckties makes sense, but maybe a different style of shirt needs to be adopted.

I don’t know. The suit and tie uniform was designed to make a point - I’m a professional who knows the rules and you can assess my status by observing the details of my uniform. It hasn’t been functional for a long time. It requires tailoring, dry-cleaning, it’s not super comfortable, it’s hot in summer.

But if it’s not a little bit hard, where do we end up? Track suits? So where do you draw the line? Ties don’t make sense, But neither does dry cleaning or wearing a blazer in August.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2024 12:50 PM

I'm guessing it was coordinated and some strategist gave it the okay. Not likely everyone would just coincidentally not wear a tie, especially President Biden.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2024 12:55 PM

Will Arnett looks hot as fuck here.

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2024 12:59 PM

R25 -- exactly. Fuck the Times

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2024 1:12 PM

Liberal Hollywood Eeee-LEETS!!

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2024 1:15 PM

I still enjoy wearing a tie from time to time. I know this will sound weird, but I feel I actually look younger and more fit when I have a tie on.

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2024 1:39 PM

They look good with this natural pose looking at ease and happy.

Maybe I’m reading into this too much but maybe the lack of a tie is to differentiate front stuffy looking dump in his ill fitting ties which has been ridiculed.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2024 2:09 PM

Will Arnett's cosmetic work doesn't look good.

by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2024 2:18 PM

Disheveled?!?! Too casual would be a matter of opinion, but in no way are they disheveled. That is ridiculous. It's not like they have jeans with holes in them or untucked shirts even.

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2024 2:26 PM

R34 / good point

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2024 2:27 PM

Anybody can look good standing next to that fat assed pig Donald Trump, what with the cotton candy hair and orange day-glo makeup.

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2024 2:30 PM

What the fuck, NYT? This merited an article?? And yet Dump speaking with apparent dementia is ignored?

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2024 2:34 PM

[quote] What the fuck, NYT? This merited an article??

Well, the reporting journalist does write for the Style section of the paper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2024 3:10 PM

In these last few years the Biden camp has successfully created and image/brand of him in brighter blue suits and blue/striped/patterned ties. He's walked like grandpa with arthritis, but he's looked crisp and sharp. He/they have successfully turned the tables on the ubiquitous red power tie that is Trump's brand. Trump's red ties, while they still work for MAGA (in fact it would disappoint them to see him in anything else... like going to see Minnie Pearl without the hat and price tag), it looks old, fusty, smelling like leaked urine, hairspray, and sour elder breath.

I retired several years ago and gave away several hundred ties. Kept 20 or so just for special occasions. I've worn one once, even with weddings, funerals, symphony etc. Ties just look old and out of touch now. Contradicting a post upthread: especially older men should eschew them.

by Anonymousreply 41March 30, 2024 4:27 PM

I don't blame them for not wearing ties. They wore them daily as POTUS for years and are probably sick and tired of them.

by Anonymousreply 42March 30, 2024 4:36 PM

Why is tying a rag around your throat considered fashionable in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2024 4:54 PM

They should have unbuttoned their jackets, as well, IMO.

Will Arnett's shirt looks too thin (cheap) and I can see horizontal folds, like it just came out of the package.

For the look to work, it's got to be a very nice shirt. Hidden placket would have been better. (Ignore the tie bar and that the buttons are buttoned all the way up.)

Bill's suit looked ill-fitting. I think he is still really skinny. Him being at the margin of the photo stretched him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2024 4:55 PM

@r41, Once I retired all my ties went into the garbage. I no longer sport a corporate look for ANYONE. Being retired is so cool 🙂

Oh, I have to go to a funeral? Nice pair of jeans and a button down shirt

by Anonymousreply 45March 30, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote[Trump kind of killed the whole tie thing with his extra-long red stained bib he wears all the time

FOR FUCK'S SAKE NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT TRUMP.

The no-tie trend has been going on for many years. The tech industry redefined business dress codes and it carried over into other industries.

by Anonymousreply 46March 30, 2024 9:00 PM

^ This thread is about former presidents not wearing ties and yes, Mary, that includes Trump

by Anonymousreply 47March 30, 2024 9:25 PM

R46 Like R47 says... or said another way FOR FUCK'S SAKE NOT EVERY TRUMP MENTION IS INAPPROPRIATE

by Anonymousreply 48March 30, 2024 9:32 PM

And no one would be happier to be the center of everyone's attention than the pathological narcissist Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2024 9:37 PM

Will Arnett is doing something to his hair. He’s got more than he used to. Also, I once saw him change in the locker room at the Tribeca Equinox about 15 years ago. He was married to Amy Poehler at the time I saw his naked butt.

Top that, ladies!

by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2024 9:40 PM

Shame on Guy Trebay. He’s become a NYT Pitchbot working there.

by Anonymousreply 51March 30, 2024 9:50 PM

[quote] I saw his naked butt.

And?! How was it?

by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2024 10:10 PM

r47/r48 we're also talking about the general trend of no ties. Fuck, you're all obsessed with Trump

by Anonymousreply 53March 30, 2024 10:11 PM

^ The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2024 10:18 PM

Nope r54. Just that not every goddamn thing is about Trump. You shut-ins should get out more. The no-tie fashion has been going on since the tech boom and has trickled down into mainstream society.

by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2024 10:26 PM

They look like they're having or have been having a good time. I wonder what they talk about, and all the secrets they know that we don't.

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2024 10:26 PM

UFOs r56! UFOs!

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2024 10:27 PM

@r55, Tells us more about Trump... 😂

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2024 10:44 PM

which website do we go to if we want to read non paywalled stuff? paywall=======>unpaywall

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2024 10:50 PM

The non-paywall article is at R1.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2024 11:34 PM

While I feel more comfortable wearing a tie, because for me it pulls together the whole look, the Presidents look great the way they were dressed.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2024 11:41 PM

That guy in the T shirt looks worst.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2024 11:46 PM

He was President Will Truman's VP.

by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2024 12:21 AM

2nd of left is not bad… not bad…

by Anonymousreply 64March 31, 2024 12:33 AM

R3 You've never seen a homeless meth head.

by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2024 10:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!