Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it rude to tell someone no when they ask if they can try on your new glasses?

I met up with a group of people a while back, some of which were friends, some at the table I never met. Somehow the conversation turned to prescription glasses. Then someone asked another person if they could try them on. Before I knew it 2 other people took theirs off and everyone was trying on each others glasses including people who didn't ware them. Fortunately, I was wearing contacts that day but it got me thinking. I would not be comfortable with that especially since I have new glasses on order and I spent a fortune on them.

What would be a polite way to turn someone down when they directly ask if they can try on your glasses? Especially when other in a group setting are willing to do so? Or worse, the person asking offers to let you try theirs on in exchange (which I have no interest in doing by the way).

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 2:19 PM

Just say no.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2024 11:20 AM

Shriek, "NO!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2024 11:21 AM

Only trash would ask.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2024 11:22 AM

You should have smacked that bitch

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2024 11:41 AM

It’s fine to say no in all circumstances.

Furthermore the angle of the arms is sized for your face so if someone has a wider face than you, you shouldn’t allow it even if you have no other objections.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2024 11:45 AM

"I would rather not, thanks."

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2024 11:57 AM

WHO does that?

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2024 1:05 PM

Some of you on this board live the most fascinating lives.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2024 1:07 PM

I’m pretty sure this was a subplot on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

“Thanks, but no, they’re so finicky to wear and I have them calibrated to fit my nose a certain way.”

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2024 3:30 PM

[quote]including people who didn't ware them

Hunh?

Maybe you should get a new pair -- might help with your spelling.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2024 3:54 PM

Just say “I can’t”

Change topic

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2024 4:01 PM

I would only say yes to a friend, family member... or a handsome stranger.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2024 4:12 PM

Say you have a wicked case of head lice at the moment that is not responding to treatment.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2024 4:20 PM

I'd say "No, it looks like you have eye herpes."

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2024 5:46 PM

Some of these are pretty funny.

But yeah, it's tacky to ask but people still do that. Just say no is rude. That will make me look like some uptight a-hole. My one thought was to say I just had them professionally adjusted so I don't want to risk throwing them out of alignment on someone else's head. Or to be just as tacky and say "no, they are a personal item, why would you ask that, do you want to try on my underwear too?"

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2024 11:54 AM

[quote] Or to be just as tacky and say "no, they are a personal item, why would you ask that, do you want to try on my underwear too?"

I think that’s a great response. Just say it with a laugh I was thinking you could just say that you don’t like taking them on and off but someone might plead, which would be rude.

I don’t find the initial request strange or rude if it’s a group of friends. But I can understand not wanting to participate. And if to have a small head or a calibrated nose piece then it’s not good.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2024 12:58 PM

It is not rude to refuse that request. It’s the request that’s rude. The person who would ask that is likely the same person who would grab French fries off your dinner plate in a restaurant.

I would simply say no, without an explanation.

A simple no is the ideal response in so many situations. We should use it more often.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2024 1:35 PM

Girl no! That's like asking somebody in the gym locker room to try on their underwear!

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2024 1:59 PM

It is customary to just steal the fragrant used underwear.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 1:19 PM

Or at least sneak a sniff at the opportune moment.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 1:19 PM

"I'd prefer not to."

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 2:15 PM

"Go ahead. I don't think head lice can cling to plastic."

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!