Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kitty Genovese: We speak your name

60 years ago she was murdered.

I guess the story of nobody helping her has been debunked but still she was one of us and died a horrible death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2024 7:14 PM

Remember when Lens did that live action Kitty Genovese murder experiential theater thing on Girls?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2024 7:07 AM

No r1 I don't remember that. Did she do it?

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2024 11:58 AM

Dyke!

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2024 12:31 PM

I was so sad for her. I loved her stores.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2024 12:40 PM

I just saw that this very interesting documentary is on Amazon Prime. Her brother is a very intelligent and compelling figure, I found. I've been fascinated by Kitty and this particularly horror murder since I was a kid. I discovered only a few years ago that she was a lesbian living with a girlfriend. This was completely hidden for decades. This documentary refutes the original narrative concocted by a NYTs journalist that people did nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 6:13 PM

^^^horrific murder

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 6:14 PM

Wasn’t Kitty a lezzie?

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 6:18 PM

R7, maybe read the thread first before posting.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2024 6:22 PM

She was related to but not close with members of the Genovese crime family.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2024 6:25 PM

She was a ruthless bitch too? Welcome!

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2024 6:27 PM

Rest in power, beloved sister.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2024 6:27 PM

She looked butch. Had been arrested before too.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2024 6:37 PM

[quote] Wasn’t Kitty a lezzie?

Kitty liked pussy?

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2024 6:38 PM

I think the male neighbor was a gay alcoholic. If there was any witness that acted reprehensibly, it was him. There is evidence, probably circumstantial, that he at least heard the second attack and possibly saw her bleeding to death but chose to do nothing.

I always found the randomness of the murder odd. She returns home late at night in a quiet, middle class, obscure area of Queens and happens to catch the attention of a brutal rapist and murderer? What are the chances?

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2024 6:38 PM

I’ve been to where it happened. It’s a nice area now, not sure how it was then.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2024 6:38 PM

I've passed it several times on the LIRR and saw an article about it a few years ago with photos of where it all took place. It hasn't changed much at all. It was a nice neighborhood then too, definitely not a place one would expect a crime like this to take place.

- R5

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2024 6:40 PM

Her girlfriend at the time died this year at the age of 85.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2024 10:27 PM

What neighborhood did the murder happen in?

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2024 2:26 AM

Kew Gardens in Queens. It is a solid middle-class neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2024 3:02 AM

It's one of those stories that have been dumbed down over time. People were reluctant to call the police because they thought it was domestic violence and that kind of thing was considered private. They were also afraid of the police. Her gay neighbor eventually called the police and got beaten and arrested when he yelled at them for taking so long to arrive. There's a You're Wrong About podcast episode about the case.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2024 3:07 AM

Mob connections?

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2024 3:09 AM

I went to high school in the 70s and all my history teachers discussed this case. Each year, there was a safety course where the girls were taught to yell "Fire" if they were attacked, because "experts" believed people would be more willing to report a fire, rather than a woman being attacked.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2024 3:18 AM

Eldergay here. The myth of "no one called the police because no one wanted to get involved" was taken as gospel truth, was known and discussed in every church and high school across the country, and haunted the American psyche for decades.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2024 3:21 AM

R23, Back in the 1970s, a neighbor two houses away from my parents watched while two men stole my parents’ new car from their suburban Boston driveway at 1:00 AM and said/did nothing until much later that morning when questioned by the police.

Her excuse for not saying/doing anything was that she “did not want to get involved “.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2024 3:47 AM

Apparently, you're not supposed to yell "Help!", you're supposed to yell "Why are you doing this to me, I don't even know you!" That's how people know it's not a domestic dispute and so are likelier to intervene.

Learned that on Hacks just last week.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2024 4:55 AM

Rosa Parks was another mythical story started by the press. The event really happened but not to Rosa Parks.

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2024 7:24 AM

Well what did happen to Rosa Parks?

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2024 7:36 AM

R12, she and a co-worker were taking bets at a bar they worked at. They were fined. She wasn't some hardened criminal.

R17...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2024 7:55 AM

R21, I thought the same for awhile, but Mosley, her murderer, was a serial rapist and murderer, confessing to several, including the rape and murder of a 15 year old girl in Queens. He died in prison, never once mentioning he was hired as a hit man. He said he went out that night looking for a woman, saw Kitty driving home from work at 3 AM and followed her.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2024 10:18 AM

R20, link? Is he the one who saw her being attacked for a second time in the vestibule if their building, supposedly called his GF who told him to do nothing, and all he did was call their neighbor Sophie Farrar who went to her aide while he did nothing else?

I think he was hardly in any position to call out the police for taking so long. I posted above that I thought he was a gay alcoholic, I take that back. It was a big jump to a conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2024 10:24 AM

R27 - Claudette Colvin was arrested at the age of 15 in Montgomery, Alabama for refusing to give up her bus seat to a white woman, nine months before the Rosa Parks incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2024 7:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!