Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Wars - The Acolyte

I can tell this is going to suck already

Ford, Fisher and Hamill were lighting in a bottle. Everything else is a pale imitation.

And this looks DREADFUL

Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 25, 2024 1:55 PM

[quote] Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

I do.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 5:48 AM

[quote]And this looks DREADFUL

Well, it's centered around a black female character, so already all the MRAs/incels/4channers/white supremacists are already gearing to weep tears of blood from their anuses.

Nobody is forcing you to watch it, you know. But in all probability, relentlessly attacking it online, using as many socks as you can muster, will doubtless be your obsession for the foreseeable future.

[quote]Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

It has always fascinated me. I've always wanted Star Wars to delve 'longer ago, and farther away.'

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 6:54 AM

I hate how the child at the very start of the trailer closes his eyes a second before the man tells them to do so, unlike the CG character who is on time. It's a small thing, but it immediately makes me doubt the show's quality. And I don't blame the kiddie actor either, this was the editor's fault as it could have been easily fixed in post.

As for the rest, I don't know. I agree with Reddit posters who said the "this isn't abot good or bad" line made them wince. The whole thing just seems a bit mid. And of course Trinity will get killed off immediately.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 12:14 PM

[quote]Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

The High Republic (so, like, 200 years before the original trilogy) has been getting a big multimedia push over the past few years. There have been a ton of books, comics, some audio dramas, an animated series, and even a video game that's being developed.

It's more interesting than the nth take on the Skywalker family.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 12:48 PM

Yeah, they're finally listening to the fans who've been telling them we need to move the fuck on from the Skywalker family already.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 12:53 PM

I loved the original trilogy. I wish they’d stopped there. Everything I’ve seen since, while varying from quite good to quite crap, is totally unnecessary. I just don’t care anymore, it’s like flogging a dead horse. This franchise has absolutely nothing to say. It’s the epitome of style over substance. Just let it die, already.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 1:29 PM

Trailer looks good to me.

As far as I can tell incels are hating because it stars a lot of women and minorities? Oh no, the horror.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 1:38 PM

brand familiarity is the only thing that keeps this Star Wars crap going.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 1:50 PM

[quote] As far as I can tell incels are hating because it stars a lot of women and minorities?

That’s always the immediate accusation. There may certainly be elements of that in the fandom, I’m not denying it. But it’s also often used as a blanket defence—as happened with “Rings of Power”. No, I didn’t hate ROP because of black dwarves and girlboss Galadriel. I just hated it because it was shit.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 3:47 PM

OMG GIRL POWER! Yes!!!

Jk, this looks really lame.

The only good Disney Star Wars output has been Rogue One and the first season of the Mandalorian.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 3:51 PM

It looks like every Disney Star Wars project. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for it after the sequel trilogy was such a mess.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote]I loved the original trilogy. I wish they’d stopped there. Everything I’ve seen since, while varying from quite good to quite crap, is totally unnecessary.

Rogue One was fantastic. It really had the spirit of the original trilogy. Vader's killing spree alone was worth the price of admission. All of the other films after the original trilogy were total shit, although Revenge Of the Sith did have a few good moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2024 6:04 PM

I didn’t enjoy Rogue One much because it was so depressing and grim; the ending was inevitable but no less a downer.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2024 6:25 PM

R10 Did you watch "Andor"? Because it was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2024 6:30 PM

I'll watch it because I love anything Star Wars, but Disney keep continually churning out more SW content to the point that they don't seem to be putting much effort in.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2024 6:36 PM

r14 sorry I was just talking about the movies, not the tv shows. Andor was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 6:37 PM

R12 That was a great scene, though it was a bit silly because he never did anything nearly as powerful in episodes 4 to 6.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2024 6:39 PM

There needs to be a reset button on Star Wars. As far as I am concerned the original trilogy is a masterpiece. Everything else has been a mess or majorly problematic. While I hated the prequels, I almost can appreciate slivers of them now compared to the absolute shit storm that came out of Disney. And while some of the TV shows Disney has done have small parts of them that work okay, as a while they just seem awful.

Until someone can focus on writing characters and stories that actually work and interest people, and lose everything else that gets in the way of it, it will continue to produce failure. Amazingly they haven't figured this out yet and continually double-down on how they are doing things with the franchise.

And call me a Klan Granny if you want, but there is a "woke" emphasis to most of everything for Star Wars that has come out of Disney. It's unnecessary. Tell a good story and give me good characters. It's a fucking fantasy series taking place in space, with millions of different alien races. The heavy-handed social statements in what they produce these days is very, very tiresome and a major turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2024 6:40 PM

What heavy handed "woke" social statements have there been in Star Wars r18?

I honestly can't think of anything. I don't watch everything, but Ahsoka had a female lead, but her gender wasn't some important part of the story. Same with Rey.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2024 6:53 PM

The thing about the original trilogy is that Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were lighting in a bottle. They were absolutely perfect as their respective characters, had charisma for miles and you really cared about what happened to them.

Everybody who has come after hasn't had anywhere near the electricity or chemistry that those three had.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2024 6:56 PM

It's more about the presentation and storytelling. Maybe woke is the wrong word. It's more heavy-handed kind of moralizing, perhaps. The Laura Dern character in the second sequel movie is probably the worst of it. There's an "agenda" underneath some characters, beyond just driving the story. The original Star Wars was about good vs. evil, and other aspects of the characters--their conflicts and interactions--happened more naturally and without unnecessary emphasis.

I saw an episode of the Mandelorian featuring Lizzo in the past year or so and, my lord, if that's where Star Wars is at today I don't want to see anything further. Bad acting, bad writing, cheap looking sets. The tone is just completely off.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2024 7:06 PM

The original Star Wars was about people fighting for democracy against a fascist dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2024 7:09 PM

[quote]The original Star Wars was about people fighting for democracy against a fascist dictatorship.

That may be why I responded to strongly to Andor. It was the first time in a long time where Star Wars told a story where they were fighting fascism, not merchandising it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2024 7:34 PM

The Sequel trilogy was godawful. The Prequel trilogy was tolerable (barely) but the Sequel trilogy was a huge waste of time and money (not talent because there was none). Roque 1 was great and the Han Solo movie was actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2024 7:46 PM

I just think if you go to the well too many times it’s gonna dry up. I know there are plenty fans desperate for any new content but if you were to erase all of it beyond the original trilogy I don’t think that world would have lost much of value.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2024 7:53 PM

I agree Andor was great r23, but ultimately it's the same story.

Does Star Wars have real "juice" outside of rebels fighting against a fascist empire? Right now that remains to be seen, but you can only go back to the same well so many times.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2024 8:07 PM

[quote]Does Star Wars have real "juice" outside of rebels fighting against a fascist empire? Right now that remains to be seen, but you can only go back to the same well so many times.

I mean, the High Republic stuff is that. It's set during the peak of civilization for the Old Republic. I haven't engaged with much of it, but I'm interested in the Acolyte because it is different.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2024 8:32 PM

I hated Andor. Fell asleep during the first episode and had to go back and watch it again. The final 2 or 3 episodes were ok. But that show was not Star Wars. It was dreary and the music sucked and the costumes looked like something from a Sid and Marty Kroft show.

I'm in interested in the High Republic stuff so the Acolyte looks fairly interesting. I've enjoyed a lot of the Star Wars content over the years, especially the animated stuff like Clone Wars and Rebels. I thought Ashoka was great as she's my favorite character. They really developed her over the years in the Clone Wars and Rebels so it was nice to see her having her own show. The Mandalorian is fun which is what Star Wars is supposed to be. The Bad Batch was horrible at first but found its footing.

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I will check out The Acolyte but we shall see. I think it will be fun.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2024 8:58 PM

The trailer doesn’t look so bad to me, but I’ve lost interest in Star Wars. I also thought Andor was a snore.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2024 9:00 PM

Can they at least put some hot guys in these things if the stories are shit? Good lord. Back in the day they had Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams at peak fineness. Mark Hamill was the pretty twink. Even Hayden Christensen was pleasant to look at. Now its just blah

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 1:15 AM

Hayden was pleasant to look at, but the lines they gave him...."I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 1:11 PM

Hayden gave more monotonous, grumpy brat than semi-Darth Vader, but it was really the material that was to blame. I don’t like the revisionism whereby fans are suddenly claiming the prequels were great films. They were such a chore to get through.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 8:20 PM

The prequels were badly cast starting with boy Anakin, now psychotic. Not in a good way psychotic like Darth Vader.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 9:09 PM

New trailer.

Seems underhanded and kinda desperate to feature Carrie-Anne Moss in the thumbnail like that when she's definitely getting killed off in the first or second episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2024 4:15 PM

Meh. Star Wars just isn't the same without the Empire.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2024 4:40 PM

Slogged throught the first episode. BORING.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2024 7:04 PM

Haven’t watched it yet but I’ve found most of the Star Wars stuff lately really boring. couldn’t get through the Mandolorian

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2024 7:08 PM

An evil twin? Really? JFC what a hack job this is. None of the characters are interesting and the plot is tired AF.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2024 7:10 PM

The only thing that could make this series worse would be if Ben Platt were in it. What a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2024 7:12 PM

Disney has to have paid the critics a fortune.

Critics score vs audience score 93 to 30

Please god hear my prayer and let Hardees soon offer a full collection of colorful Acolyte collectors glasses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2024 7:20 PM

This is really great IP and we're going to get some good rides and stuffed animals and so forth out of it.

We've been thoughtful stewards of the Star Wars; we've got about 14 Marvel movies coming out in the next 12 months but very few projects about the Star Wars. What do you people expect?

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2024 7:27 PM

The actors are all stiff and amateurish. Really, it's just a garbage show. The quality control over the Star Wars franchise is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2024 7:31 PM

I was not going to watch this initially but decided to give it a try and I ended up enjoying the first two episodes but I will admit the story is a bit thin with the whole evil twin being manipulated by a puppet master who is yet to be revealed.

I found Andor to be a total bore and Kenobi and Ahsoka was just ok. The only real gem is the Mandalorian and even he couldn’t save the book of Boba Fet.

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2024 7:41 PM

[quote]Disney has to have paid the critics a fortune.

Yeah, the reliable non-neckbeard youtube channels are lukewarm, rather than negative, on the off chance that it's just a slow start like Andor was.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2024 7:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 6, 2024 8:07 PM

[quote]Lucasfilm Prez Pre-Emptively Blames Male Star Wars Fans for Failure of ‘The Acolyte’

It's such a compelling narrative to cover your abject failure.

Unfortunately, in a similar manner to maga and rethug orthodoxy, if you actually look at, you know, the facts, you see that male fans LOVE Ahshoka Tano, Fenic Shand, and countless other female characters and would want to have stories around them told.

Some of the most popular SW characters are women - from Jedi like Luminara to Sith apprentices like Asajj Ventress.

What male AND female fans don't want is the poorly developed characters and stories being told.

by Anonymousreply 46June 6, 2024 9:07 PM

I’m watching it for that hot and openly gay Charlie Barnett (Jedi Knight Yord).

by Anonymousreply 47June 6, 2024 9:14 PM

Kathleen Kennedy needs to GO.

by Anonymousreply 48June 6, 2024 10:56 PM

Rumor is the next episode will feature lesbian witches and reveal that the Force is feminine. No joke.

The showrunner (below) also cast her wife as one of the lead Jedis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 6, 2024 11:29 PM

It's amazing and kinda awesome how thoroughly everything Star Wars has been fucked up since the original trilogy. Well... since Empire Strike Back

by Anonymousreply 50June 6, 2024 11:45 PM

r49 she looks exactly as I imagined she would.

by Anonymousreply 51June 6, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote]Rumor is the next episode will feature lesbian witches and reveal that the Force is feminine.

Star Wars: Michfest

by Anonymousreply 52June 6, 2024 11:55 PM

Big fan of the original trilogy here and I just wasn't that into ANDOR. Just too grim and grey and dull. No magic. There needs to be a little more "star" in Star Wars for me to get engaged. And I hate to say it, but Diego Luna is such a bore, my goodness. Just nothing going on there.

by Anonymousreply 53June 7, 2024 2:11 AM

[Quote] Lucasfilm Prez Pre-Emptively Blames Male Star Wars Fans for Failure of ‘The Acolyte’

This is one of the reasons these shows go all Benetton ad diverse.

One is so the showrunners can demonstrate their ultra-purity. The other is, it’s an insurance policy against criticism. “Didn’t like my diverse show? That automatically makes you a RACIST.”

by Anonymousreply 54June 7, 2024 2:18 AM

Of course Carrie-Anne Moss gets whacked six minutes into the premiere, totally called that at r3. Easiest paycheck ever.

The writing in this is atrocious, worst yet. Reddit is correct in calling this a CW Star Wars show. There's a random shirtless scene with the handsome Charlie Barnett, who is cut for the gods, which has no narrative purpose. Not that I'm complaining.

AND YET, I enjoyed having both episodes on in the background. Fight sequences are kinda spectacular, so I do closely tune into those.

Manny Jacinto is pretty bad in this and the awful wig sure doesn't help. He's so pretty to look at, but could do with some acting lessons.

Lastly, can the anti-woke posters please fuck off already, so we can discuss the actual show? You've said your piece, we get it, now please leave. Fifty replies of just your repetitive shitty rantings, you have no idea how obnoxious you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 7, 2024 4:02 AM

[quote]Lastly, can the anti-woke posters please fuck off already, so we can discuss the actual show? You've said your piece, we get it, now please leave. Fifty replies of just your repetitive shitty rantings, you have no idea how obnoxious you are.

In case you haven't noticedIT'S ALL ABOUT DEI BULLSHIT AT THE EXPENCE OF STORYTELLING AND INTERSTING CHARACTERS

by Anonymousreply 56June 7, 2024 4:45 AM

The point is we heard you the first thirty times you said that, loud and clear.

by Anonymousreply 57June 7, 2024 4:49 AM

Why must every OP post about some new film or show ALWAYS claim it's going to suck? It's so lame. What happened to reserving judgement until presented with evidence?

by Anonymousreply 58June 7, 2024 4:49 AM

R55 Think he's the boss of Star Wars. Sorry bitch!

by Anonymousreply 59June 7, 2024 4:49 AM

[quote]Why must every OP post about some new film or show ALWAYS claim it's going to suck? It's so lame. What happened to reserving judgement until presented with evidence?

Because we've watched the show and determined that it's a total piece of shit?

An evil twin. An evil twin! Fucking really? That is soap opera 101. Total garbage.

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2024 4:51 AM

r59 No, just someone telling you you're being fucking annoying, posting the same shit over and over again like some aspie freak. Because apparently you don't have any friends in real life to tell you that to your face.

by Anonymousreply 61June 7, 2024 4:59 AM

r58 Not only that, OP is the same guy who is all over this thread endlessly whining about DEI. Another troll who needs to get red-tagged with "talks to self - a lot".

by Anonymousreply 62June 7, 2024 5:01 AM

^^ Get fucked. It's a shit show. Kathleen Kennedy needs to go.

This is not Star Wars. This is infatile hackwork.

by Anonymousreply 63June 7, 2024 5:12 AM

Infatile isn't a word, but should be. It means inability to type fat.

by Anonymousreply 64June 7, 2024 5:50 AM

[quote]Infatile isn't a word, but should be. It means inability to type fat.

I know a piece of shit when I see it. The quality control of Star Wars is appaling. APPALING.

by Anonymousreply 65June 7, 2024 7:18 AM

I just can't get over the EVIL TWIN. An evil twin? Fucking really?

Soap opera 101. Is the other twin going to get raped?

This is not Star Wars. This is an agenda. And a piece of shit it is.

by Anonymousreply 66June 7, 2024 7:22 AM

Ahsoka was awful. Dreadful, as the OP might say. It really turned me off of these Star Wars shows, and the trailer doesn't give me hope that this will be any better.

I don't understand why or how people like Ahsoka. The dialog was cringeworthy at best, the plot stupid, the acting WAY below par... the line readings were so bad it made me wonder how any of this got past editing. It was absolute shit from start to finish. Yet it got good reviews? WHY? HOW?

Makes me not trust reviews for THIS show.

by Anonymousreply 67June 7, 2024 7:33 AM

Skimming through the comments confirms I’m not even going to try watching this. Life is too short. Frankly, the only Star Wars I particularly like is the original trilogy. If nothing after that had been made it…well it would have been no great loss.

by Anonymousreply 68June 7, 2024 8:41 AM

[quote] Rumor is the next episode will feature lesbian witches and reveal that the Force is feminine.

The bought and paid for critics will b ecstatic. It was bad enough when they rectonned The Force into midi-chlorian parasites.

[quote] I’m watching it for that hot and openly gay Charlie Barnett (Jedi Knight Yord).

Apparently they deliberately cast actors who were totally ignorant of Star Wars. He's discussed in at least two interviews how Anakin Skywalker blew up the Deathstar.

by Anonymousreply 69June 7, 2024 9:35 AM

Pretty boys should be told to close their mouth unless they're sucking dick.

by Anonymousreply 70June 7, 2024 9:53 AM

The first few episodes of the Acolyte are actually decent? Too bad the incels and MAGA freaks are review bombing this.

by Anonymousreply 71June 7, 2024 10:34 AM

"White people crying was the goal" -- The Acolyte star Amandla Stenberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 7, 2024 12:41 PM

[quote]The first few episodes of the Acolyte are actually decent? Too bad the incels and MAGA freaks are review bombing this.

They're terrified of being called RACIST. It ain't MAGA freaks, honey. It's people who recognize hackwork and shitty acting.

by Anonymousreply 73June 7, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote] I’ve written about this before, and I’ll say it again: Relentless mediocrity is what’s killing Star Wars and Marvel and DC and so much of pop culture. The majority of Disney’s Star Wars shows and movies have been watered-down and disappointing affairs that seem to want to capitalize on the property without bothering to understand what makes us love it to begin with. They have just enough redeeming qualities to prevent them from being truly terrible. Mostly, they’re just bland and forgettable and lacking the great charm and heroics that made the original trilogy such an iconic entry in the history of cinema.

Amen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 7, 2024 7:25 PM

R67, did you even know who Ahsoka was prior to watching the series? If you haven't watched all of Clone Wars animated series and Rebels, that is why you thought it sucked. Those of us who watched all of those thought the series was awesome. Ahsoka is my favorite SW character.

by Anonymousreply 75June 7, 2024 8:28 PM

Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were lightning in a bottle. The chemistry the three of them had was off the charts and nobody has ever come close to equaling that. You really cared about their characters and what happened to them.

by Anonymousreply 76June 7, 2024 8:43 PM

[quote]I don't understand why or how people like Ahsoka.

People love the character - not necessarily the show.

The show was deemed by most to be just okay, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 77June 7, 2024 8:51 PM

Ashoka’s season finale cliffhanger was stupid as shit.

by Anonymousreply 78June 7, 2024 9:08 PM

[quote] Ashoka’s season finale cliffhanger was stupid as shit.

Did the lesbians Jedis get together and build a porch ?

by Anonymousreply 79June 7, 2024 9:49 PM

[quote]Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were lightning in a bottle. The chemistry the three of them had was off the charts and nobody has ever come close to equaling that. You really cared about their characters and what happened to them.

That's because of the talent also surrounding them. Lucas was still a decent director then before he let his love of technology overshadow everything else. Irvin Kershner really got to the heart of the story, and Richard Marquand was also well versed in drama movies. Return isn't the best of that trilogy, but it's genius compared to most everything else that followed.

What killed the last three movies was the hubris the production team had at the outset arrogantly thumbing their nose at the profitable and well loved expanded universe that had already been created by numerous talented authors, only to turn around and basically copy the original trilogy's story practically to a T. Fucking lazy.

Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy alone has shit all over anything done post Jedi. They would have been wise to have sought out his services.

by Anonymousreply 80June 7, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote]If you haven't watched all of Clone Wars animated series and Rebels, that is why you thought it sucked.

I shouldn't have to watch multiple seasons worth of a cartoon to appreciate a TV show. And no, watching that wouldn't have changed my mind because the problem was the ACTING SUCKED, THE WRITING SUCKED, THE DIRECTION SUCKED, THE LINE DELIVERY SUCKED. THE EDITING SUCKED. Those objective facts wouldn't have changed just because I watched a cartoon series beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2024 1:47 AM

Well, then you missed some of the best Star Wars stories by not watching the "cartoons." Both of those were great tv and Ashoka has some of the best character growth in Star Wars history. I was worried that Rosario Dawson couldn't play Ahsoka as well as Ashley Eckstein did but she did a great job. Granted, some of the episodes of the animated series were weak, but over all the relationship between Ahsoka and Anakin and the other Jedi were done so well that you could give the weaker episodes a pass. The final season of the Clone Wars was outstanding with Ray Paker returning as Darth Maul to do the fight choreography. The music, the colors, etc were top notch. The Ahsoka series picked up right where Rebels ended. Do yourself a favor and watch those series starting with the Clone Wars animated movie and then rewatch Ahsoka and you'll have more of an appreciation of the live action series.

Andor, on the other hand, was pure garbage.

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote]Andor, on the other hand, was pure garbage.

I'm embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 83June 8, 2024 4:41 AM

Andor was literally the best Star Wars series period, and among the best Star Wars (A New Hope, Empire Strike Back, and Rogue One).

Rosario Dawson was awful in Ahsoka. WTF are you even talking about. But still not as bad as Mary Elizabeth Winstead who acted like she was reading all her lines of cue cards that had one word on each card and the guy handling the cue cards was really bad at flipping to the next. SO MANY PORTENTOUS PAUSES.

That fact that you loved total shit like Ahsoka and hated the brilliant Andor tells me all I need to know about your taste and opinions: They're ignorable.

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2024 4:51 AM

Ahsoka sucked. Andor was great, looking forward to the next season.

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2024 4:54 AM

I don’t get why Rogue One is regarded so highly by fans. What am I missing? It wasn’t bad but I didn’t find the characters memorable (I can’t even name one, although I haven’t rewatched it since the release) and that inevitable ending was still incredibly fucking depressing. I ended up finding the whole thing a real downer. I need my Star Wars to be escapist, fun and ultimately uplifting.

by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2024 9:01 AM

Some people don't like tragic endings, and that's okay. Rogue One, among its many virtues, has one of the best starship battles in the Star Wars franchise in its climax and also shows Vader at his most badass after becoming mostly mechanical. Granted, that doesn't sync up with Vader's depiction in the original trilogy, but at some point you have to give credit to how much special effects had advanced in nearly half a century. Rogue One also has the strongest cast of characters outside of the main trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2024 9:20 AM

r84, back at ya. I fell asleep during the first episode of Andor. It was so snooze worthy.

I'm a die hard Star Wars fan and could likely beat you in Star Wars Trivia. You're the one with the terrible taste.

by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2024 10:23 AM

That fire in the cold vacuum of space was so stupid it hurt. You're not obligated to like a show just to spite some hypothetical racist. Television is allowed to just be shit sometimes. You won't combust just because your taste happens to align with a youtuber. Promise.

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2024 10:27 AM

No, R88. You're just a dullard.

[quote]That fire in the cold vacuum of space was so stupid it hurt.

Yes. A completely unforced, unnecessary error that dragged down the whole first episode. Episode one was not good. Tropey and cliched and stupid shit like this. However, episode 2 was markedly better. I'm reserving judgement, but so far it's significantly better than Ahsoka, and nowhere near Andor.

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2024 3:05 PM

[Quote] If you haven't watched all of Clone Wars animated series

As an adult, I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2024 3:11 PM

Well sorry, but they were great. And there was a lot of violence and death, including that of a major character. To say they were for children is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2024 9:55 PM

I’m enjoying it so far. It’s developing nicely and the characters are not Skywalkers.

The question I have is how come no Jedi ever seems to know about the Sith? The stories have spanned centuries yet every single time the Jedi are fucking clueless that an evil force user is involved.

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2024 11:30 PM

I watched the first two episodes. It's ok so far. Some cringe worthy moments (The fat Jedi looking away from his post like a buffoon). Also, Jedi are supposed to be in shape after their training. It's entertaining at least. I don't like the characters all that much but I do like the idea of telling stories that are original. I hope it gets better. I'll watch the next few episodes and see.

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2024 9:18 PM

Wookie Jedi? Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2024 9:25 PM

So let me get this straight... an invulnerable jedi (never seen before) just decided to stop being invulnerable and drink poison to kill himself. WTF.

And they hire Trinity in the first episode only to kill her off after 20 minutes? WTF.

by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2024 11:07 PM

Yeah, now that I've had time to digest it, this series is a big stinker.

Disney should be embarrassed but they won't be.

by Anonymousreply 97June 11, 2024 3:04 AM

[quote] this series is a big stinker.

Who cares, it's 𝒅𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆.

by Anonymousreply 98June 11, 2024 2:38 PM

Disney doesn't know what to do with the Star Wars franchise except keep pumping out content. The people they hire to make the shows and films don't seem to understand, either. So they have to crowbar the franchise to fit their vision, which doesn't always work.

by Anonymousreply 99June 11, 2024 3:02 PM

I couldn't hear what the Jedi guy said. Who set that enormous fire? Was it that other twin because it didn't seem like much time elapsed between her lighting the book on fire and the whole place looking like it got bombed. Oh--and lesbian witches.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 100June 12, 2024 10:54 PM

I think the levitating Jedi killed them, it’s implied as the reason for his suicide.

by Anonymousreply 101June 13, 2024 12:37 AM

Yeah, as presented, that didn't make a lick of sense. The whole place was made out of stone. How did it go up in flames like that, so quickly, and how did it manage to kill EVERYONE instantly like that?

I'll reserve judgement assuming they're holding something back, but if they don't explain that at some point and show what REALLY happened, then that episode will have just sucked.

Also: seems like The Jedi a kinda dicks.

by Anonymousreply 102June 13, 2024 4:41 AM

... Also: seems like The Jedi ARE kinda dicks.

by Anonymousreply 103June 13, 2024 4:48 AM

The world demanded the Pakistani lesbian progressive version of Star Wars, where Anikan Skywalker blew up the Death Star

The Acolyte star Amandla Stenberg on the Trevor Noah Show 'white people crying was the goal"

by Anonymousreply 104June 13, 2024 5:12 AM

[quote] Anikan

by Anonymousreply 105June 13, 2024 5:16 AM

R91, what is that supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 106June 13, 2024 5:28 AM

The idea that the Force exists outside of the Jedi/Sith dichotomy has been floating around for a long time in Star Wars mythology. It's just not been explored much in the mainstream series or movies so far. It started with the Dathomir witches in novels very far back, so I'm not surprised this is the well they've come back to both here and in Ahsoka.

The idea that the Jedi were stealing children has also been present in the mythology elsewhere, so most of what this series has shown is built on established lore. I'm not totally convinced on the Jedi guilt we've been shown so far in regard to the the twins and their coven, but it's early in the series. Surely there's Sith subversion somewhere here.

by Anonymousreply 107June 13, 2024 8:13 AM

[quote]The Acolyte star Amandla Stenberg on the Trevor Noah Show 'white people crying was the goal"

What a way to attract an audience for your show! The Disney PR department must've had a fit that she said that. White people are like 90% of the audience for Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 108June 15, 2024 1:58 AM

[quote] The Disney PR department must've had a fit that she said that.

The PR people may have had a fit but the executive boardroom probably said "Thata girl!"

by Anonymousreply 109June 15, 2024 3:04 PM

The Acolyte’s 15% Audience Score Is Embarrassing, For The Audience Scorers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2024 4:12 PM

White racist sexist bigots review-bombing anything that doesn't center straight white males is becoming all too common. It's childish and petulant tantrum throwing by over privileged thugs upset at not being the absolute center of attention anymore. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2024 4:44 PM

r111 the show is a piece of shit. It doesn't even feel like Star Wars. I don't care if the actors aren't white, they suck. The writing sucks. The plot sucks. When an evil twin was proposed in the writer's room the writers should have been drummed out of Hollywoood. Total hackjob.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2024 4:53 PM

Get a blog R112, or better yet, fuck off back to Reddit. None of us here are buying your shit.

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2024 9:15 PM

[Quote] I don't care if the actors aren't white, they suck.

Then:

[Quote] The Disney PR department must've had a fit that she said that. White people are like 90% of the audience for Star Wars.

Tell us again R112 (and all the other racist posts) how it’s about the writing/acting and not that you’re an incel who’s threatened by women and anyone who’s not white, straight, male?

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2024 9:20 PM

[Quote] To say they were for children is hilarious.

My cartoon is cool and for GROWN UPS and has DECAPITATIONS AND STUFF!!!

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2024 9:25 PM

I mean obviously more happened r102 than what we are shown, this is just episode 3. That's how mysteries work.

Overall I am into this show. Episode 3 was a tough hang because we are the characters as kids and child actors suck.

But this show is intriguing. Its actually trying to do something new than the same shit over and over like most Star Wars stuff and I find that refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2024 9:28 PM

[quote]Tell us again [R112] (and all the other racist posts) how it’s about the writing/acting and not that you’re an incel who’s threatened by women and anyone who’s not white, straight, male?

You don't tell the biggest audience for your product that they're not welcome you sanctimonious virtue-signaling dipshit. It has nothing to do with race. It's an extremely stupid statement from a purely business standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2024 9:39 PM

[quote] White racist sexist bigots review-bombing anything that doesn't center straight white males is becoming all too common. It's childish and petulant tantrum throwing by over privileged thugs upset at not being the absolute center of attention anymore. It's pathetic.

It’s sad because there are a minority of viewers who are racist, sexist and homophobic and who get up in arms whenever a show has, gasp, diversity. But I hate when this is used to dismiss any and ALL criticism of said show or movie. It happened with Rings of Power. I didn’t give a damn about the casting, even though it didn’t entirely make sense to me—I just thought it was one of the most boring, pointless, weakly scripted shows I’d ever seen. And I’d been genuinely looking forward to it. I was looking for things to enjoy about it. But after having had to force myself to sit through three episodes, I realised life was too short.

So, yeah, there are review bombing bigots out there. But let’s not tar everyone with the same brush. It could just be that the actual show is…shit.

by Anonymousreply 118June 17, 2024 8:49 AM

Ahsoka was shit. This show is way better than that so far. It could still go either way. But it doesn't deserve the lowest rating ever.

And I loved Rings of Power to be honest. Thought it was really good.

by Anonymousreply 119June 17, 2024 1:32 PM

People need to stop with the narrative that Star Wars fans hate non-white people.

Fans were beyond excited that Ahmed Best returned as Kelleran Beq in the Mandalorian and have been clamoring to hear more about how he saved Grogu. Every reviewer cheered that he got to reprise the role AND got to return to SW in a better role than Jar Jar.

They don't care whether they're white or women. They care that they are good characters and don't screw with established lore that they've come to love. There are an infinite number of stories they could tell which doesn't screw with established lore.

However, because the writers are talentless hacks, the NEED to piggyback on the most populare aspects of Star Wars in order to generate any excitement and any resonance with the audience. You wanna write a story about the High Republic era - sure. Great. Develop some good characters and tell a decent story that isn't some lame fan fiction with a political or social agenda from Wattpad or Archive of Our Own.

by Anonymousreply 120June 17, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote] People need to stop with the narrative that Star Wars fans hate non-white people.

Particularity when it's been clearly communicated the "hate" comes from the Disney side.

"White people crying was the goal" -- The Acolyte star Amandla Stenberg

by Anonymousreply 121June 17, 2024 2:07 PM

This is hilarious... bigots are so stupid:

[bold]'Star Wars' fans are review-bombing a 2008 movie called 'Acolytes' instead of 'The Acolyte' on Rotten Tomatoes.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 17, 2024 7:14 PM

R121 = fragile racist white snowflake moron

by Anonymousreply 123June 17, 2024 7:15 PM

R123 eats shit to spite the racists in his head.

by Anonymousreply 124June 17, 2024 7:40 PM

𝐄𝐱-𝐋𝐮𝐜𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐳𝐞𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠.

𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐬 𝐛𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞

Says it's going to get worse. Start video after the ten minute mark to avoid a lot of padding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 18, 2024 1:16 AM

“I haven’t seen the Star Wars community so united since Mando 2 finale”: The Acolyte Broke George Lucas’ Franchise to its Core and Disney Can No Longer Play the Victim Card to Get Out of This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 18, 2024 2:20 PM

[quote] 𝐄𝐱-𝐋𝐮𝐜𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐳𝐞𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠.

Those perilous franchinses…

by Anonymousreply 127June 18, 2024 6:52 PM

This is one of those franchises that I just cannot get into no matter how hard I try. Same with Harry Potter. Sorry I just don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 128June 18, 2024 6:55 PM

I actually love the original trilogy. But it was a moment in time and nothing after it exists for me. Or, if you're going to get technical, before it (because those prequels sucked ass). Everything post-ROTJ is utterly superfluous, pointless and vapid.

by Anonymousreply 129June 18, 2024 9:50 PM

Rogue One was excellent. Revenge of the Sith was pretty damn good. I know I'm in the minority on that one, but I thought they kept the spirit of Star Wars with that movie. The Skywalker Trilogy was complete and total dogshit and I prefer to pretend that it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 130June 18, 2024 9:59 PM

And yet, you chose to post on a thread about it, r128? Why?

by Anonymousreply 131June 18, 2024 10:01 PM

Andor was one of the best shows on TV its first year and arguably the best ST series yet. The people who are lumping it in with the lesser ST shows and movies sound like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 132June 18, 2024 10:16 PM

I meant *SW*.

by Anonymousreply 133June 18, 2024 10:17 PM

Andor was boring trash.

by Anonymousreply 134June 18, 2024 11:38 PM

The Andor-Rogue One rebellion plot is the best writing in the universe outside of Luke’s original hero journey. Cassian is a great anti-hero.

by Anonymousreply 135June 19, 2024 1:04 AM

I didn't like Andor, but acknowledge that it's among the best of Star Wars since the original trilogy.

I just didn't care for it but recognize that the story and character development were well-done.

I did like Rogue One and feel it is the best SW movie of the Disney era.

by Anonymousreply 136June 19, 2024 1:08 AM

[quote] The Andor-Rogue One rebellion plot is the best writing in the universe outside of Luke’s original hero journey. Cassian is a great anti-hero.

We don't do that old fashioned patriarchal story with so many white guys in front of and behind the camera anymore. Yucky poo.

Tune in for part two of the season where we introduce The Force menstrual pads and the magic they contain.

by Anonymousreply 137June 19, 2024 1:12 AM

^^And a menstrual hut for the witches!

by Anonymousreply 138June 19, 2024 1:17 AM

George Lucas: I sold my kids (Star Wars) to white slavers

"The stories they're telling are just old movies. There is no original thinking."

Also addressed the bitching about race and sex.

To say he SNAPS is clickbait, but he has some things to say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 19, 2024 1:41 AM

George Lucas has HAD IT with Disney fucking up Star Wars. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 140June 19, 2024 1:49 AM

George Lucas gave us Jar Jar Binks so he can shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2024 2:12 AM

George is a really cheap date; I took him to one breakfast at the fake Brown Derby in Orlando and told him some crap about respecting the universe he’d built and he sold me his IP for next to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2024 5:22 AM

R139 I would watch that video if it weren’t for the fact my YouTube feed would be cluttered forever more with angry SW nerd video suggestions. Will google his comments

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2024 8:03 AM

[quote][R139] I would watch that video if it weren’t for the fact my YouTube feed would be cluttered forever more with angry SW nerd video suggestions. Will google his comments

Watch it, then delete it from your watch history. That should remove it from the algorithm for suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2024 1:26 PM

Don't do it. My YouTube feed is nothing but psychotic Star Wars fans who need to develop some outside interests.

by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2024 10:19 PM

Loved the ending of this fourth episode, and hope they pay it off next time.

That was a kick-ass character introduction.

by Anonymousreply 146June 20, 2024 5:22 AM

Is it just me, or is Manny Jacinto probably the Sith master? His goading this episode seemed too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 147June 20, 2024 6:09 AM

There was that fanfic theory years ago that Jar Jar Binks wasn’t actually a bumbling idiot but was really a Sith Lord. It seems they’re adapting that for this show.

by Anonymousreply 148June 20, 2024 7:12 AM

Darth Jar Jar is a pretty entertaining theory that works really well.

If you think about it, he's responsible for everything from Day 1.

by Anonymousreply 149June 20, 2024 5:33 PM

𝐀𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐲𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐚 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐠 𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐦𝐬 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜 𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐬

Half street ho twerking, half chicken dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 21, 2024 8:50 AM

Amandla seems sweet

by Anonymousreply 151June 21, 2024 2:31 PM

The last time Amandla was remotely interesting was playing Rue in The Hunger Games.

by Anonymousreply 152June 21, 2024 2:37 PM

I didn’t realize there were any white males left in Kennedy’s alternative Star Wars universe.

by Anonymousreply 153June 21, 2024 3:14 PM

Yoda: “Luke, betray your customers you must. Insult audience, yes. This is the way of the Woke.”

From video at r139.

by Anonymousreply 154June 21, 2024 3:18 PM

It's hilarious to me how she calls out racists, and every white person thinks she's talking about them. Um. If the shoe fits?

Having a non-straight-white-male lead character isn't a betrayal of anything or anyone.

by Anonymousreply 155June 23, 2024 2:14 PM

I thought new episodes went live at 9pm ET on Tuesdays.

9:10.

No new episode...

by Anonymousreply 156June 26, 2024 1:10 AM

Wednesdays, R156. Wednesdays.

by Anonymousreply 157June 26, 2024 2:30 PM

That was a great reveal.

And man, they're just killing ALLLL the characters, aren't they?

A little disappointed they're doing the "Prince & The Pauper" thing though... as if Jedi wouldn't know instantly. A dramatic haircut and a change of clothes would never be enough.

by Anonymousreply 158June 27, 2024 2:45 AM

[quote] they're just killing ALLLL the characters, aren't they?

When can we kill Kathleen Kennedy ?

by Anonymousreply 159June 27, 2024 12:10 PM

I bailed after two episodes. What a piece of shit. This isn't Star Wars, this is something made by people who have no understanding of Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 160July 7, 2024 5:46 PM

[quote] this is something made by people who have no understanding of Star Wars.

And DELIBERATELY so.During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Headland talked about developing the eight-episode first season and explained why it was important to her to bring someone into the writers' room who initially had no knowledge of the Star Wars franchise, saying:

"I just thought it would be good to have the perspective of a person that had literally never seen Star Wars until she was in the room. And she said to me, 'Why do you want me in this room? I’ve never seen Star Wars. I have no idea. I think there’s a dog in it, but I don’t know anything.'

"And I was like, 'First of all, you’re an incredible writer, but that’s why I want you here. I want you to be questioning narrative. I don’t want myself, who’s a lifelong fan, to just be relying on particular references in order to create emotional beats. I want those emotional beats to be earned and checked by someone that isn’t super familiar with it.'"

--------------------

Amanda Sternberg, star of the new Star Wars show “The Acolyte” tells Trevor Noah “white people crying was the goal”

And there was

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 7, 2024 6:08 PM

r161 she never should have been given the job. A showrunner should be extremely familiar with the whole Star Wars mythos.

by Anonymousreply 162July 7, 2024 6:12 PM

All decadent cultures cannibalize themselves eventually.

by Anonymousreply 163July 7, 2024 6:38 PM

Is this still on? I bailed after the first two episodes as well.

Did it get any better?

by Anonymousreply 164July 7, 2024 10:04 PM

White people aren't crying about this. RACIST white people might be though. And fucking let them.

The casting is fine, the show is good, the villain is one of the best ever, imho.

by Anonymousreply 165July 8, 2024 12:03 AM

The show is shit and the cast can't act. It's awful.

by Anonymousreply 166July 8, 2024 12:16 AM

R165 You can’t be taken seriously. The villain is the best one ever? Better than Darth Vader? Lol

by Anonymousreply 167July 8, 2024 1:05 AM

I don’t believe Star Wars fans are racist. The entire franchise has been torn down.

Imagine if they had a Harry Potter reboot and they kill off Harry and Ron for new shitty characters and then rewrite and retconn JK Rowling’s origin stories.

People would react the same way.

Thank God Harry Potter isn’t owned by Disney. They’d slaughter the original cast and replace them with black trans women.

by Anonymousreply 168July 8, 2024 1:15 AM

Rogue One is pretty praised amongst Star Wars fans and there’s no white leads and the main character is a woman.

But the diversity didn’t seem so agenda driven and the diversity of the movie isn’t even really discussed. It wasn’t discussed by the cast or producers nor is it a topic of conversation amongst Star Wars fans.

by Anonymousreply 169July 8, 2024 1:19 AM

Rogue One was excellent. It's very popular amongst SW fandom and there are no issues with the cast being diverse. Just tell a good story without an agenda and keep it in the sprit of SW and you'll have a lot of good will amongst the fans.

by Anonymousreply 170July 8, 2024 1:36 AM

[quote] and there’s no white lead

No white male leads.

by Anonymousreply 171July 8, 2024 2:17 AM

Isn't Diego Luna white?

Oh wait, this is America. Spanish people and people of Spanish heritage are for some reason not considered white. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 172July 8, 2024 2:19 AM

Remind me when anyone in the cast of "Rogue One" said that white people crying was the goal.

by Anonymousreply 173July 8, 2024 2:40 AM

R173, I guess you're a hot-house flower if that bothers you.

I'm a white guy and it doesn't bother me in the least.

by Anonymousreply 174July 8, 2024 4:50 AM

R172 Correct. Just like Antonio Banderas and Javier Bardem aren’t considered white even though they’re straight from Europe, they are not considered white by US standards. Maybe in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 175July 8, 2024 5:09 AM

R173 The actress was referring to the movie “The Hate You Give” which was a black movie about racism.

She wasn’t talking about The Acolyte.

by Anonymousreply 176July 8, 2024 5:14 AM

The crazy thing for me is Disney knows they fucked up Star Wars because they haven’t dared put another movie out. “Rise of the Skywalker” did a billion less than “The Force Awakens” and “Han Solo” was a huge bomb.

They’ve cancelled at least 6 Star War spin off movies in the last 5 or 6 years. Some of them were clearly due to backlash.

So they keep it on TV now where Kathleen can drive her female driven agendas while being able to hide the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 177July 8, 2024 5:24 AM

Kathleen Kennedy needs to go.

Some will think I'm crazy but I think George Lucas still has one good Star Wars story left in him.

by Anonymousreply 178July 8, 2024 5:27 AM

[quote][R172] Correct. Just like Antonio Banderas and Javier Bardem aren’t considered white even though they’re straight from Europe, they are not considered white by US standards. Maybe in Florida.

Most white Americans are of Anglo/German descent.

by Anonymousreply 179July 8, 2024 5:37 AM

But that doesn't mean other Europeans are not white r179

by Anonymousreply 180July 8, 2024 5:38 AM

R180 Spaniards, Portuguese, Greeks, and Italians are considered "white adjacent."

by Anonymousreply 181July 8, 2024 5:42 AM

Maybe in the 1950s r181. Or maybe in the deepest Redneck Southern states, but not for most people today.

by Anonymousreply 182July 8, 2024 5:46 AM

Many DLers perpetually live in the 1950s. It’s the preferred DL decade.

by Anonymousreply 183July 8, 2024 6:00 AM

R182 "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (2002) was set in and around Chicago and it depicted Greek-Americans as being "white adjacent."

The Midwest is about 75% white and was settled by a ton of Germans/Scandinavians, whose mixture is supposed to produce the "All-American" look that used to be so prevalent in the U.S. media until fairly recently.

Nia Vardalos' character laments about growing up swarthy compared to her blonde classmates.

by Anonymousreply 184July 8, 2024 6:38 AM

We should all hope to be as tough and manly as R174!

by Anonymousreply 185July 8, 2024 2:01 PM

r184 being swarthy isn't "white adjacent." Many Anglos are dark haired and dark eyed. God, you're tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 186July 8, 2024 2:58 PM

"Whiteness" is a social construct. There was a time when the Irish weren't considered "white". It's all made up bullshit. There's really no such thing. There is no "white culture" or "white heritage". It's just racist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 187July 8, 2024 6:00 PM

Man, I checked in on this thread to see the DL discussion of this show...and there is none.

Just a long stream of posts about and nothing even talking about the show. Yawn.

Anyway, after all the build up I thought the "big reveal" was fairly disappointing. This show came alive when Manny Jacinto was on screen, and when he isn't present it suffers.

by Anonymousreply 188July 10, 2024 1:56 AM

There's been plenty of discussion about how much it fucking sucks. Most people bailed early.

by Anonymousreply 189July 10, 2024 2:09 AM

I gave it a chance. It’s aweful!

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2024 6:00 PM

Of the live action Star Wars series--I don't watch the animated ones--this was the least enjoyable, despite having one of the best (possibly the best) fight sequence in any SW series or movie. Ending on a cliffhanger made it worse: given the response and how long it takes to make and stream followup seasons (if this is even renewed), Disney needs to make each season self contained. I'd rate this about as bad as the Obi Wan series, which should have been edited down to a movie and, at times, seemed low budget and implausible.

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2024 6:48 PM

Look for Palpatine to appear next season however improbable.

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2024 6:49 PM

Somehow, Pal-...Disney keeps making stinkers

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2024 6:50 PM

Maybe child Palpatine? But more likely a full unveiling of Darth Plageus.

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote] Darth Plageus

The Wise?

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2024 7:29 PM

The very one.

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2024 7:31 PM

The Acolyte was so fucking stupid and boring, total hackwork. A coven of witches like it was fucking Charmed or something. An evil twin. JFC.

It just wasn't Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 197July 20, 2024 7:32 PM

The only reason for me to watch Star Wars now are cool spaceships and space junkyards . There is very little of this in Acolyte.

by Anonymousreply 198July 20, 2024 7:37 PM

Star Wars actress Amandla Stenberg, who starred in a 2019 movie about race relations, is today under fire for saying the goal back then was to make "white people cry."

The 2018 footage, which has nothing to do with Stenberg's new role in Disney+ Star Wars TV series The Acolyte, 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝, 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐱𝐭, 𝐛𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐦𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐚 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐬, 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐲.

The Daily Show is known for its subversive and humorous approach to current affairs, and Stenberg, who also starred in The Hunger Games, as Rue, in 2012, got serious later in the interview, explaining 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐦 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐩 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐲.

"We wanted to make sure that those who have been affected by the way in which the media misconstrues these events, actually have a real sense of empathy and are able to place themselves into the shoes of our communities," Stenberg said at the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The accounts posting to this thread, repeatedly citing "Well, white people crying actually was the goal" are racist rage farmers, professional trolls. I called it back at R2.

The troll OP is so fond of calling the original cast trio "lightning in a bottle" that he repeats it at least three times across the course of the thread. Put him on ignore and look at his posted output for this thread - it reveals his agenda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 20, 2024 8:48 PM

Witches have been apart of Star Wars for a while now r197.

But the Acolyte had some cool ideas, but ultimately the execution just fell way short. As a season of TV it didn't work.

If it gets renewed they need to clear out the writers room and bring on some better people. And unfortunately Amandla Stenberg just isn't good here, you have to focus around Manny Jacinto.

by Anonymousreply 200July 21, 2024 12:53 AM

R200 = Trevor Donovan

by Anonymousreply 201July 21, 2024 12:58 AM

R200 = Trevor Donovan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 21, 2024 12:58 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but I really do think that George Lucas still has one good Star Wars story left in him. Disney should give him a shot.

by Anonymousreply 203July 21, 2024 1:10 AM

NERDS ARE GAY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 21, 2024 3:40 AM

It was better than that gawdawful "Ahsoka" crap... but only just.

by Anonymousreply 205July 21, 2024 4:06 AM

They really need to turn off the life support and just let Star Wars die. Give it a decade or so and then find a good, creative, compelling reason to bring it back. Under Disney it’s been nothing more than “content” and I’ve grown to the point of such indifference I don’t even waste my time watching it.

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2024 8:44 AM

What the fuck was the Gopher thing doing when it sabotaged the ship? WHY the fuck did it do that? That make no fucking sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2024 3:20 PM

R207, was Gopher the ship's purser?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 21, 2024 3:23 PM

I didn’t get that either r207.

Lord, can’t wait for ANDOR. It’ll be like a much appreciated palate cleanser.

by Anonymousreply 209July 21, 2024 3:40 PM

[quote]R207: What the fuck was the Gopher thing doing when it sabotaged the ship? WHY the fuck did it do that? That make no fucking sense to me.

Bazil did that because he believed that Master Sol was going to kill the girl (it's not clear to me whether Bazil was aware 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑐ℎ girl it was; perhaps it didn't matter to him) in the other ship by crashing her into moon ring debris.

by Anonymousreply 210July 21, 2024 11:21 PM

None of this makes any sense and most of it is boooooooooring. The flying woodlice, so cleverly wrapped around the trees in “disguise”, were ridiculous. I didn’t make it past that episode.

by Anonymousreply 211July 21, 2024 11:29 PM

When is Andor back?

by Anonymousreply 212July 21, 2024 11:30 PM

[quote]R211: None of this makes any sense and most of it is boooooooooring. The flying woodlice, so cleverly wrapped around the trees in “disguise”, were ridiculous. I didn’t make it past that episode.

The umbramoths were no more "ridiculous" than the mynocks infesting the asteroid worm in 'Empire Strikes Back.'

But that was Episode 4, 'Day,' and if, as you claim, you never watched past that episode, you're not qualified to comment on the rest of the series, including my explanation of an event from Episode 7 at R210.

by Anonymousreply 213July 21, 2024 11:57 PM

It's not Star Wars, it's something else. Awful show. Boring plot, dialogue and actors. Evil twins, a coven of witches I mean really. The showrunner should've just done this as an original series instead of shoehorning into the SW franchise.

by Anonymousreply 214July 22, 2024 12:32 AM

R214, are you also r214?

by Anonymousreply 215July 22, 2024 12:33 AM

R214, are you also R197?

by Anonymousreply 216July 22, 2024 12:34 AM

Still no word on Season 2

by Anonymousreply 217July 22, 2024 12:36 AM

I wonder if Lucas would've sold off his baby if he had known how badly they would completely ruin it.

It's kinda amazing what Disney has accomplished

by Anonymousreply 218July 22, 2024 12:36 AM

[quote]R216: [R214], are you also [R197]?

R214 is the OP ("lightning in a bottle'), R12, R16, R20 (another "lightning in a bottle"), R35, R36, R38, R39, R42, R48, R51, R52, R56, R59, R60 (notice that "we" shit), R63, R65, R66, R73, R76 (again, "lightning in a bottle"), R85, R108, R110, R112, R117, R126, R130, R138, R140, R160 (another "bailed after two episodes"), R162, R166, R170, R172, R178, R180, R182, R186, R189, R197, R203, R214, R217.

There's a series of sock accounts posting the same stuff, denigrating 'Acolyte' - praising 'Rogue One,' shitting all over 'Ahsoka,' and generally employing components of OP's posts (like "I bailed after two episodes"; "I did too", etc).

Mind you, this is the same account who's spent the last couple of years attacking me at random, and it all came to a head in April, in the '𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐀𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐜𝐤' thread, where he flipped out over my presence in the thread (I had posted the trailer to 'Acolyte,' which he subsequently copied and attacked here), and attacked me using the Bootsy-Gumdrop account (reply 30 of that thread, linked below).

This thread is nothing but a troll's organized attack on 'The Acolyte,' and not a real discussion of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 22, 2024 1:22 AM

JFC r219 so what? You hall monitors are totally idiotic. Cataloging post numbers is pathetic. BTW I have only one account. Your obsession with socks is bizarre.

[quote]There's a series of sock accounts posting the same stuff, denigrating 'Acolyte' - praising 'Rogue One,' shitting all over 'Ahsoka,' and generally employing components of OP's posts (like "I bailed after two episodes"; "I did too", etc).

Yes, this is essentially what I wrote. As have others. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't mean yours is the only one.

[quote]This thread is nothing but a troll's organized attack on 'The Acolyte,' and not a real discussion of it.

There's been plenty of discussion about how weak it is. You seem to be totally uncritical of anything SW related which is odd given what shit Disney has done to the franchise with rare exceptions (Rogue One, Andor).

by Anonymousreply 220July 22, 2024 2:14 AM

[quote]Mind you, this is the same account who's spent the last couple of years attacking me at random,

I'm not the only one, babe. You're a mentally ill freak who most of DL hates.

by Anonymousreply 221July 22, 2024 2:15 AM

Jesus, so many people on DL have poor emotional regulation skills

by Anonymousreply 222July 22, 2024 5:35 AM

R222 is a fake Yoda.

Real Yoda would write:

[quote] So many people on DL yet poor emotional regulation skills they have.

by Anonymousreply 223July 22, 2024 5:53 AM

R219 not that I’m saying you’re wrong but… I think you have a little too much time on your hands, sir.

by Anonymousreply 224July 22, 2024 8:32 AM

But Ahsoka WAS terrible.

And Andor WAS fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 225July 22, 2024 3:03 PM

Reverse that, r225.

by Anonymousreply 226July 22, 2024 9:06 PM

I cannot and will not. Because Ahsoka sucked rocks, with some of the worst acting, line-readings, plotting, and general writing I've ever seen or heard. And Andor was riveting, superbly written, superbly acted, superbly executed.

I cannot fathom how you can have it so backwards. Ahsoka was unmitigated shit, and Andor was pure gold.

by Anonymousreply 227July 22, 2024 11:08 PM

Andor was written with so much care and emotional maturity that I couldn't believe it was Star Wars.

To be frank that is why some Star Wars fans didn't like it. Star Wars is normally pretty simple and juvenile so that is what they are used to.

by Anonymousreply 228July 22, 2024 11:46 PM

[quote]R224: not that I’m saying you’re wrong but… I think you have a little too much time on your hands, sir.

And I spend very little of it here, passing thru DL maybe a couple of hours every couple of days. R219 only took twenty minutes to write.

Anyone who's not a sock of the OP can see that he's using other accounts to fill the thread with his own opinions, repeating them ad nauseum. Just as he lies about how many episodes he's seen ("I bailed after two episodes", but attacks details from all the episodes; has he seen them, or is he only reading summaries online?), he also lies about his sock use.

[quote]R221: I'm not the only one, babe. You're a mentally ill freak who most of DL hates.

You're not qualified to diagnose mental illness, autism, narcissism, Cluster B, or any of the other illnesses of which you constantly charge others with your other accounts. Nor am I as insecure as you seem to be, using socks to repeat and validate your opinions.

[quote]R220: Yes, this is essentially what I wrote. As have others... There's been plenty of discussion about how weak it is.

Again, your sock postings don't count as "discussion."

[quote]R220: Just because you have a different opinion doesn't mean yours is the only one... You seem to be totally uncritical of anything SW related which is odd given what shit Disney has done to the franchise with rare exceptions (Rogue One, Andor).

I haven't offered an opinion of 'The Acolyte.' Even if I had criticisms, though, I would have no intention of sharing them on a thread dedicated to shitting on the series. Whatever I may think of various 'Star Wars' efforts, I do not share your agenda, and won't assist it.

It's almost entirely you, talking to yourself, Bootsy. Only a couple of other real posters have stumbled in here; like R215/R216, they've noticed immediately that you're socking. There's been no real discussion of 'The Acolyte' on the DL, and as long as you persist in this approach to topics on the threads you start, there won't be.

by Anonymousreply 229July 22, 2024 11:46 PM

What is Bootsy?

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2024 12:02 AM

Ahsoka at least had cool battleships. Which The Acolyte lacks.

by Anonymousreply 231July 23, 2024 12:04 AM

There's some serious mental illness on display in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2024 1:37 AM

This has been a disaster of a show, no word yet on renewal. Total hackwork and boring.

Looking forward to the new season of Andor.

by Anonymousreply 233July 23, 2024 5:16 PM

I’m looking forward to Season 2. The concept of a ‘force convergence’ and the creation of life is an interesting concept. Also enjoyed the fight scenes and gaining some history that leads to Palpatine.

by Anonymousreply 234July 23, 2024 7:21 PM

r219 taking that much time to collect that many replies is a sign of a personality disorder. You got deeper problems than being a fan of a children's tv show.

by Anonymousreply 235July 25, 2024 12:02 PM

[quote]R235: taking that much time to collect that many replies is a sign of a personality disorder.

Again, as I observed at R229, you're not qualified to make psychiatric assessments.

(And again, it's been pointed out before that repeated references to mental illness across the posts of many sock accounts is one of the flags that objectively gives you away, every time, i.e. R221, R222, R224, R232, and now R235. You've never been able to control yourself.)

Not so much of a sign of a personality disorder as 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 that many posts (up to 46 for that account at this point), 𝑝𝑙𝑢𝑠 using socks (including you) in order to reinforce his/your own insecure point of view, as well as attempt to draw attention back to a failed thread. Talk about desperation.

Your particular sock at R235 is the one who, on the 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐲𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐖𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐜𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐬 thread, said to me at Reply 10, "You think a transwoman started the Stonewall riots [Reply 9]. We know what you're like." The reflexive reference to yourself and your socks as "we" never fails to amuse. Nor were you ever able to link to where I'd ever said anything like that.

[quote]You got deeper problems than being a fan of a children's tv show.

What "children's tv show," sweetheart? If you're referring to 'The Acolyte,' I haven't offered any opinions about it, so you don't know if I'm a fan of it or not. If you'd ever stop with the sock dominance and the perpetual ad hominem attacks, I might have expressed one.

That is all. I'm done here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236July 25, 2024 12:42 PM

^^Fucking nutcase.

by Anonymousreply 237July 25, 2024 1:53 PM

[quote] If you're referring to 'The Acolyte,' I haven't offered any opinions about it

So don't post on a thread that's discussing it. "I won't talk about my opinions of the show, I'll just shitpost all over the thread." Freak. You just enjoy antagonizing people with your mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 238July 25, 2024 1:54 PM

R236 for your own mental wellbeing you should turn off your device and take your dog for a walk.

by Anonymousreply 239July 25, 2024 1:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!