Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fans want Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer replaced on The Simpsons

Neither can voice their characters anymore. Mr Burns sounds like some dope they found on the street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2024 7:27 AM

Harry Shearer sounds like he’s dying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2024 3:49 PM

That. Show. Is. Still...On???

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2024 3:52 PM

The Simpsons just needs to end, at this point. It would be a mercy killing for all involved.

It was a great show for most of its run, but it has nothing else to say.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2024 3:52 PM

True r3. I watch it out of old stale habit sometimes, but it's just not anything anymore. It's just there. It's like SNL, just keeps going but with no real reason. Although I think SNL is trying to get to its big 50th anniversary blowout special before dying. The Simpsons just keeps going for no reason at all.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2024 3:57 PM

The show has been a shadow of its former self for most of this millennium.

Julie Kavner still sounds like Marge - just much, much older. Marge is still supposed to be in her thirties, and Julie is in her seventies. That's the problem with a cartoon running for so long - the characters are ageless, but the actors aren't.

Some of Harry Shearer's characters, particularly Mr Burns, have sounded off for years.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2024 4:00 PM

Mr. Burns doesn’t sound like Mr. Burns anymore based on R1’s clip.

This is from 2002. Shearer is 80 now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2024 4:05 PM

Wow! I hadn’t watched the show in years. That is sad

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2024 4:27 PM

There are so many clips going around of Marge and Julie’s voice right now. They’re downright frightening. What is this show going to do when Julie or Yeardley Smith die? How can you replace those voices? Harry is in his 80s.

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2024 4:29 PM

I think Julie Kavner smokes.

Ray Magliozzi, of Car Talk, is 74 and sounds good, still.

You can keep your voice in shape.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2024 4:41 PM

I still watch new episodes of "The Simpsons," mostly out of habit. Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer have sounded off for years now, and the fans have noticed. Kavner's Marge voice sounds like she's gargling gravel. Shearer's characters all sound about the same. Nancy Cartwright's Bart voice sounds a little off at times, too. I think the show's transition into a more digital production process has played a role in the voices sounding strange, besides the actors getting older.

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2024 4:57 PM

Dan Castellaneta looked like he could throw a hot fuck back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2024 5:11 PM

If it bothers you, just don't watch it. For those who post that they haven't watched it in years,,,what's it to ya? What a ridiculous thing to bitch and moan about.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2024 5:30 PM

R12 you must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2024 5:32 PM

AI should fix this in few years.

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2024 6:01 PM

I caught a recent episode, they definitely need a new Marge Simpson voice.

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2024 6:09 PM

R10, Mr Burn sounds like he’s being voiced by someone else.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2024 8:12 PM

The show is completely unwatchable now. I tried multiple times to sit through one of the new episodes and I had to turn it off. It’s goddamn painful. They need to end this thing.

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2024 8:13 PM

Ironically, Tracey Ullman is the only one who could pull off a believable Julie Kavner impersonation.

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2024 8:14 PM

Apparently Harry Shearer has been phoning in his performances for about fifteen years now. He records his lines at home and sends them in. Understandable, given his age.

Anyway, the time has come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2024 8:20 PM

[quote]The show is completely unwatchable now.

Then don't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2024 8:40 PM

Some of the ugliest animation I've ever seen. I just hate the way the people look on the Simpsons. And I feel the same about human faces in anime. Maybe I'm more of a Smurfs guy.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2024 8:48 PM

[quote] It was a great show for most of its run

It would have been a great show for most of it's run, if it had ended 15 years ago. At this point, there are actually far more bad seasons than good.

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2024 9:12 PM

Just to clarify: @R19, the target of my Old Yeller reference was The Simpsons. I am not calling for someone to euthanise Harry Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2024 9:13 PM

It’s well past time to retire the Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2024 9:22 PM

Harry Shearer is incredibly talented but he has no love for The Simpsons and has been open about it for years. This is a clip from a 2010 Howard Stern interview where he talks about feeling cheated by the show and the network and that he's not close with the cast. Very interesting info even though he says he can't discuss a lot of things because of nondisclosure. Shearer has always been open about challenging the powers that be (he had two contentious runs on SNL, first under Lorne Michaels and then a few seasons later when Dick Ebersol was producing) and even admits he's known in Hollywood as 'the turd in the punch bowl' for shaking things up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2024 9:54 PM

Never cared for the show.

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2024 10:15 PM

I’ve been playing it to sleep/nap. I think I’m on the last season on Disney plus and I don’t think they sound bad.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2024 11:20 PM

It always boggles my mind that this show started when I was a senior in high school. I remember people thinking at the time it was way too racy. Married with Children, Roseanne, Simpsons - they all kind of changed television. I guess shows like Soap helped the shift a bit.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2024 11:29 PM

[quote] It would have been a great show for most of it's run, if it had ended 15 years ago

15?! Try 24!

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2024 11:40 PM

Julie Kavner phones it in too and has done that for over 2 decades now. She doesn’t even do the table read in person. She won’t do Marge’s voice in front of people. She’s a bit of a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2024 11:41 PM

I watched some of the recent episodes last month as I was feeling depressed and didn't want to watch anything too dark or requiring much brain power. The newer ones are obviously nowhere near as clever as the show was in the 90s...but there is still something comforting about the familiar characters and bright primary colors. A few little gags which made me smile, if not laugh out loud. Well, if Wheel of Fortune can go on forever, or Sunday comics, why not the Simpsons. It's still better than the Family Guy (which is also inexplicably still on).

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2024 12:33 AM

Thankless bitches, we taught them how to voice primetime animated series characters!

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2024 1:27 AM

The Simpsons is like America’s Coronation Street.

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote] Dan Castellaneta looked like he could throw a hot fuck back in the day.

Now he just rolls them slowly by nudging then with his foot.

by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2024 2:32 AM

I own seasons 4 through 8 and that's all I need. They've been bad since George W Bush was sworn in. If you're still wasting your time on new episodes of The Simpsons then that's on you.

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2024 2:41 AM

Even Yeardley is starting to sound old. Not as bad as Kavner and Shearer, but there's definitely a timbre change.

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2024 2:57 AM

R30, she says she won't do Marge's voice in public so she doesn't spoil the illusion. Frank Oz is the same with Yoda.

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2024 3:52 AM

Harry Shearer has rejoined Spinal Tap for the sequel, which is filming now. He's too busy.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2024 3:55 AM

Burns's original voice actor was actually the late Chris Collins, who also voiced Moe. He was sacked after a few episodes for being "difficult to work with". He must have been kicking himself after the show became a hit and the cast started making a fortune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2024 4:01 AM

Hank Azaria was great.

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2024 6:25 AM

I don't get how the show is still profitable enough to make, the cast are some of the highest paid in animation and its had falling ratings for years. Sure at one point merch sales more than covered it but who buys Simpsons merch anymore? Given its got 762 episodes Fox could air a rerun episode a day and it'd still take 2 years to get through them for significantly less cost than it costs to make.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2024 7:01 AM

This is one of those rare instances where sophisticated AI programs could be used for good instead of evil: train it to emulate these voice actors doing their characters at their peak, pay out the voice cast for doing so, and keep making the show for however long they want.

Granted, I’m firmly in the camp that believes The Simpsons peaked in seasons 3-7, and stopped being essential viewing by around season 10 or 11. But if they use AI for the voices, at least the characters won’t sound like shit going forward.

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2024 7:16 AM

I don't think they need AI, r42. Ricky and Morty replaced their main voice actor. It was a big undertaking but the characters sound the same.

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2024 7:26 AM

Maybe so, but the new Kermit the Frog is terrible. It's a risk.

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2024 7:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!