Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daniel Brühl IS Lagerfeld!

Very good resemblance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2024 7:52 AM

Are there no gay German actors to play this part?

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2024 1:52 PM

r1 Jo Weil, maybe?

Problem is that there just aren't any German gay actors that the American audiences would be familiar with. Maybe an American gay actor faking a German accent? But that's another can of worms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2024 2:05 PM

Designers seem to be the new hot topic now. There is a show about Balenciaga on Disney as well. And I just started watching the New Look about Christian Dior and Coco Chanel which has Cristobal Balenciaga and Balmain as characters in it.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2024 2:36 PM

Wasn't there a handsome blonde gay German actor in Sense8? Max Riemeit. But Brühl is the bigger name.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2024 2:36 PM

Riemelt has a girlfriend and a kid.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2024 2:52 PM

Pretty sure Tom Wlaschiha is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2024 5:05 PM

Why would the actor need to be gay in order to portray a gay man? Can only straight men play straight men?

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2024 5:08 PM

Good actor. Should have received an Oscar nomination for Rush.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2024 5:09 PM

r7 Please stop playing obtuse, we've had this discussion too many times here on DL, we're not going to solve it in this thread. They don't *need* to be gay, but in my opinion, they should be prioritised for gay roles. At least until we have a level playing field. And when's that, you ask? Well, maybe when an openly gay man wins an acting Oscar, that would be a good indication of progress.

I watched the Fellow Travellers show and it just hits different when the actors portraying the gay characters are openly gay themselves. It just does.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2024 5:22 PM

[quote] They don't *need* to be gay, but in my opinion, they should be prioritised for gay roles. At least until we have a level playing field. And when's that, you ask? Well, maybe when an openly gay man wins an acting Oscar, that would be a good indication of progress.

"Should be"? "When's that"?

I don't think you get to decide for the rest of us on either score.

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2024 5:30 PM

Looks interesting.

Are there many openly gay German actors? I know that Jannik Schümann is gay, but probably too young for the role. Also, Brühl looks more like Lagerfeld.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2024 5:38 PM

I could see Moritz Bleibtreu in the role. No, he's not gay.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2024 5:43 PM

He was fantastic as Niki Lauda.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2024 7:33 PM

Has anyone watched yet?

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2024 1:48 AM

[quote] Has anyone watched yet?

Some on the below-linked thread have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2024 1:58 AM

I saw Karl Lagerfeld in Paris about 10 years ago and it gave me such a chuckle, the chignon, tight leather outfit, and the boy toy in tow...

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2024 2:12 AM

I loved Karl Lagerfeld. He was so fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2024 2:25 AM

Me too r17. I loved his whole “you’re all peasants I’m an artiste now move because Choupette is coming through” vibe.

He really was an artist though, so it excuses his crazy bitch-ness.

Who did they cast as Choupette?

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2024 5:19 AM

He was a handsome man in his youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2024 5:53 AM

This interview is one of my favourite things ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2024 6:02 AM

Christian Friedel (who is quietly gay, played a gay character in "Babylon Berlin" and straight ones in "The White Ribbon", "The Zone of Interest", and many other productions) would have been an interesting choice, even if his physical appearance doesn't make him an obvious one. He is 45 years old, the same age as Brühl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2024 6:15 AM

It's not a good resemblance OP.

Lagerfeld had founded features. He had a rounded nose, rounded/oval face, rounded lips/ears etc.

Based purely on resemblance I don't think Daniel Brühl is a good fit. I like Daniel Brühl though. But maybe they will use prosthetics to make him resemble Lagerfeld more closely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2024 6:21 AM

Ok they won't use prosthetics. Well, Brühl is the same shape as Lagerfeld.

If you think about it - Lagerfeld must have had some premium sex over his lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2024 6:26 AM

You only need the superficial suggestion of a physical resemblance. That's where the signature Lagerfeld "props" (eternal sunglasses, slicked-back hair, fan at the ready) come in. The actor's talent should take care of the rest (at least in theory).

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2024 6:29 AM

His eyebrows aren't right and he has thin lips. I'll still watch this.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2024 7:06 AM

His clothes are fab but his face looks covered in pancake, which makes the thin lips look even worse.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2024 7:17 AM

R4 Lagerfeld was dark, though, like most Germans.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2024 7:49 AM

Friedel reads soft and gentle though, not as an officious bitch. Even playing a Nazi he was a loving dad.

Although I have read many accounts of the Kaiser’s kindness and shyness.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2024 7:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!