Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remembering Andy Gibb (1958-88)

36 years ago today, Andy Gibb (the youngest brother of the Bee Gees) died five days after his 30th birthday, reportedly from myocarditis. Gibb suffered heart trouble after years of alcohol and cocaine addictions. He was one of the teen-heart throbs of the 70s, sending many hearts of girls (and gay boys - including me) fluttering.

Gibb shot to fame in 1978, when he released his second studio album "Shadow Dancing" which spun off three hit singles. The title track stayed at #1 for seven weeks in the US during the summer of 1978. His second album, "After Dark" released three more hit singles, including the top 10 single "I Can't Help It", with Olivia Newton-John, which led to him being chosen to co-star with ONJ in the upcoming musical "Xanadu". However, Gibb - who was deep into his addictions at the time - missed pre-production work and rehearsals at the time, which led to him being fired from the project (he was replaced by actor Michael Beck, who ended up not singing in the movie). By 1982, he was picked to cohost the syndicated music show 'Solid Gold' with Marilyn McCoo, but was fired half-way through the season due to his constant absences due to his cocaine binges.

Gibb's career cooled after that, as he was in and out of rehab trying to beat his addiction. He became involved with 'Dallas' actress Victoria Principal, who broke off their engagement in early 1988 - something Gibb said he would never get over, and caused him depression. However, he seemed to have beaten his addictions by February, 1988. Two days after his 30th birthday, he started getting chest pains and went to the hospital in Oxford. On MArch 10, doctors informed him that they would need more tests on him to determine the cause of his chest pains - within hours, they found him slumped over in his bed, dead from myocarditis. Most reports that day said he died of a drug overdose. Gibb left behind his siblings, parents, and a 10 year old daughter from his first wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2024 6:47 PM

Victoria Principal had been married for several years to the plastic surgeon when Gibb died. She broke up with Gibb in 1982 or so.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2024 6:02 PM

Give me more, drag me across the floor. Hot hot man.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2024 6:04 PM

Mother always blamed Victoria Principal for his death.

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2024 6:09 PM

In the early 80s I saw him in Pirates of Penzance at the Ahmanson. Joanne Worley was Ruth. Pam Dawber was out that night. Barry Bostwick as the Pirate King was the standout that night. But Andy was perfectly fine as Frederick.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2024 6:11 PM

Take a look at the Bee Gees documentary on PBS. Barry (last surviving brother), Robin, and Maurice talk about how drug addled he was before his death. It's very sad.

I was in San Diego visiting friends, when I heard about Andy Gibb's death. It was shock.

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2024 6:12 PM

I also saw him in Pirates of Penzance (everyone was in that night). He was actually quite good, and his duets with Pam Dawber were lovely.

by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2024 6:22 PM

His daughter set up a website for him. There’s some nice family photos of him there.

Peta (his daughter) was very upset about a book that came out about him called “Arrow Through the Heart” which was the title of one of the last songs he recorded in 1987. The book was very fair and had interview with a lot of people who worked with and were close to him from the time he was a teenager until his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2024 6:29 PM

Linked is Arrow Though the Heart one of the last songs he recorded in 1987. It helped him get a deal with Island records and he was trying to write songs for a new album before his death. He moved to England in early 1988 to but fell into a depression quickly and was having trouble writing new material. He started drinking again and started getting sick right after his 30th birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2024 6:35 PM

Are we sure it wasn’t the AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2024 6:40 PM

No R9. It was ennui.

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2024 6:43 PM

He REALLY didn’t want to go back to Porpoise Spit, R10

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2024 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!