Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greta tidbit about Lauren Bacall's cuntiness

NYTimes article about glaring Oscar snubs over the years--they agree that she lost for "The Mirror has Two facea' because she was so nasty.

[quote]One awards publicist recalled of Bacall, who died in 2014, “She once whacked me twice with her perfume-filled purse because I accidentally bumped into her.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2024 11:22 PM

*GREAT, not Greta.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2024 3:53 PM

Another paywall. Thanks for nothing, OP

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2024 3:56 PM

You're welcome, r2.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2024 3:58 PM

The Mirror Has Two Faces is a terrible film. Complete vanity project. Mimi Rogers was very good in her throwaway role. I don't recall Bacall's performance at all.

I remember the product placement of the ice cream and the can of coke, visible product placement irritates.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2024 4:10 PM

Yet she won two Tony awards. The first time she beat Katharine Hepburn. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2024 4:30 PM

She basically played herself in Dogville.

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2024 4:31 PM

About Pacino winning over Washington in 1993

[quote] Look, the “career achievement Oscar, given for a lesser performance” is a tale as old as time for academy watchers, but that’s still no excuse for passing over Washington’s thorny, brilliant performance for Pacino’s broad, scenery-chewing caricature.

Yet I don't hear him complaining that Washington basically won for the same reason in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2024 4:36 PM

That’s cause his performance in Training Day was actually Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2024 4:40 PM

Hardly, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2024 4:41 PM

I never understood the fame of this woman. She always struck me as the Leona Helmsley of entertainment. She was a type of a time, a cunty, vicious, entitled, profoundly angry Jewess. You don't see them much anymore, thank God. They used to be a dime a dozen in NYC. They really poisoned the world around them.

by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2024 4:41 PM

Oh, this article is a thinly veiled DEI screed.

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2024 4:42 PM

OP we don’t link to paywalled articles. Do better if you want engagement. How embarrassing for you.

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2024 4:43 PM

Lazy whores!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2024 4:45 PM

[quote] Greta Tidbit

You’ve discovered my drag name.

Meet me in the back. I got a lil’ sumthin’ for ya, fellas.

by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2024 4:50 PM

Trust me, this article isn't worth going through the paywall hoops.

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2024 4:50 PM

How lazy are starfish? Pretty lazy

by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2024 4:51 PM

[quote]OP we don’t link to paywalled articles. Do better if you want engagement.

I've received a decent number of replies as it is, so there's clearly no need to "do better."

by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2024 4:56 PM

Did Bacall have any inkling her legacy would be "bitch" not Hollywood Grande Dame?

Did she arrive in Hollywood a shrew or was there a point she transformed into the mean, bitter woman she's known as?

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2024 6:01 PM

I think what turned her from just plain young and arrogant was after she endured the trauma of keeping Bogie alive for another year and taking care of her kids and worrying about her career. And then after Bogie died, she got strung along and then publicly humiliated by Sinatra.

She was always arrogant, but she deployed 'being nice' only when necessary.

I always liked watching her work, except that I could not stomach 'The Fan' because it was just too weird.

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2024 6:18 PM

I agree that Glenn Close and Whoopi Goldberg were snubbed. Two iconic performances.

by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2024 6:22 PM

Really? There are adults without subs to The NY Times?

No wonder this country is going down the tubes.

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2024 6:28 PM

Even worse: adults who can’t work around a firewall without bitching to anonymous "friends!"

by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2024 6:30 PM

Interesting article but once I got to JLo for Hustlers I couldn't take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2024 6:39 PM

For all the ancient queens here that don't know how to bypass a paywall. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2024 6:50 PM

Thanks, R24. If they hadn't seen the previous three instructions, I'm sure yours will do it.

by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2024 7:02 PM

We were sitting one row behind Bacall at a Broadway show. Before the play began, someone in Bacall’s row got up to go to the ladies’ room, I guess. As she scooted in front of Bacall, Bacall absolutely SNARLED, ”This better be the one and only time.”

by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2024 7:14 PM

[quote]Interesting article but once I got to JLo for Hustlers I couldn't take it seriously.

Same with me when the writer said Barbra S should have gotten Best Director over Jonathan Demme for The Silence of the Lambs. Come ON.

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2024 7:51 PM

I was about 10 years old when Forrest Gump came out.

Even as a discerning gayling, I knew that movie was stupid.

The smiley face scene????

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2024 10:18 PM

‘Do the Right Thing’ for Best Picture (1990) (Actual winner: “Driving Miss Daisy”)

Marilyn Monroe, ‘Some Like It Hot,’ for Best Actress (1960) (Actual winner: Simone Signoret, “Room at the Top”)

Denzel Washington, ‘Malcolm X,’ for Best Actor (1993) (Actual winner: Al Pacino, “Scent of a Woman”)

‘The Dark Knight’ for Best Picture (2009) (Actual winner: “Slumdog Millionaire”)

Barbra Streisand, ‘Prince of Tides,’ for Best Director (1992) (Actual winner: Jonathan Demme, “The Silence of the Lambs”)

‘Brokeback Mountain’ for Best Picture (2006) (Actual winner: “Crash”)

Alfred Hitchcock, ‘Vertigo,’ for Best Director (1959) (Actual winner: Vincente Minnelli, “Gigi”)

‘Pulp Fiction’ for Best Picture (1995) (Actual winner: “Forrest Gump”)

David Oyelowo, ‘Selma,’ for Best Actor (2015) (Actual winner: Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything”)

‘In the Mood for Love’ for Best Picture (2001) (Actual winner: “Gladiator”)

Charlie Chaplin, ‘City Lights,’ for Best Actor (1931) (Actual winner: Lionel Barrymore, “A Free Soul”)

‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ for Best Picture (1969) (Actual winner: “Oliver!”)

Adam Sandler, ‘Uncut Gems,’ for Best Actor (2020) (Actual winner: Joaquin Phoenix, “Joker”)

Pam Grier, ‘Jackie Brown,’ for Best Actress (1998) (Actual winner: Helen Hunt, “As Good as It Gets”)

‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ for Best Original Song (2022) (Actual winner: “No Time to Die”)

Ben Affleck, ‘Argo,’ for Best Director (2013) (Actual winner: Ang Lee, “Life of Pi”)

Jennifer Lopez, ‘Hustlers,’ for Best Supporting Actress (2020) (Actual winner: Laura Dern, “Marriage Story”)

‘Roma’ for Best Picture (2019) (Actual winner: “Green Book”)

Song Kang Ho, ‘Parasite,’ for Best Supporting Actor (2020) (Actual winner: Brad Pitt, “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood”)

Martin Scorsese, ‘Taxi Driver,’ for Best Director (1977) (Actual winner: John G. Avildsen, “Rocky”)

Glenn Close, ‘Fatal Attraction,’ for Best Actress (1988) (Actual winner: Cher, “Moonstruck”)

‘Hoop Dreams’ for Best Documentary Feature (1995) (Actual winner: “Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision”)

Lauren Bacall, ‘The Mirror Has Two Faces,’ for Best Supporting Actress (1997) (Actual winner: Juliette Binoche, “The English Patient”)

Jim Carrey, ‘The Truman Show,’ for Best Actor (1999) (Actual winner: Roberto Benigni, “Life Is Beautiful”)

‘The Color Purple’ for Best Picture (1986) (Actual winner: “Out of Africa”

WHERE THE FUCK IS "JUDY GARLAND FOR 'A STAR IS BORN"?! (actual winner: Grace "Slut" Kelly for "the Country Girl")

by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2024 10:35 PM

[quote] actual winner: Grace "Slut" Kelly for "the Country Girl")

How dare an unmarried woman be promiscuous and then win an acting prize! Why that just makes me just as furious as it makes you! She should have been disqualified!

by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2024 10:38 PM

I will say Pam Grier at least deserved a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2024 10:50 PM

We Don’t Talk About Bruno, which I can probably sing in my head start to finish, not being nominated because Miranda and Disney decided it wasn’t traditional enough is hilarious because Bruno, had it won (and it certainly would have), would have gotten Miranda EGOT.

Pure hubris.

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2024 11:03 PM

[quote] Another paywall. Thanks for nothing, OP

The ways to bypass a paywall have been mentioned here thousands of times. Have you still not grasped how to do so?

by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2024 11:05 PM

Lazy AND crazy

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2024 11:07 PM

Some of these listed snubs are debatable, others make good points.

But The Color Purple (1985 version) was the most egregious. The movie itself, as well as Whoopi and Oprah, for sure. It's a classic, and Out of Africa....is all but forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2024 11:09 PM

R32 may well be right but she - or he - doesn't know what "hubris" means.

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2024 11:09 PM

Also In the Mood for Love was not on awards radar for 2000, it received no nominations and its reputation emerged subsequent years.

The sensation from Asia that year was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which should have won Best Picture.

Gladiator dominated the Oscars but it won two big Oscars it shouldn’t have - Picture and Actor - and it was snubbed the only Oscar it deserved - Ridley Scott. It was extremely unlikely Ridley Scott would be in a position to win again because his career was already so erratic. Soderbergh was rewarded because he did two Best Picture films the same year , although Traffic is poorly remembered.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2024 11:13 PM

[quote]I will say Pam Grier at least deserved a nomination.

Pam deserved a nomination for FORT APACHE THE BRONX and a definite win for JACKIE BROWN over Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2024 11:16 PM

R36 how is that an incorrect use of hubris? Miranda selected the weak song Dos Oruguitas because he wanted to win the Oscar and EGOT. This song is not memorable. It’s generic. Miranda simply assumed the Academy would favor a conservative, boring ballad. Thus, he screwed himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2024 11:18 PM

Not only that, but Miranda could have submitted Bruno. Two songs can be nominated, like Barbie has this year. BUT, he assumed that Oscar voters would be so TORN between Dos Oruguitas and We Don’t Talk About Bruno that it would split the vote, so he Sophie’s Choiced it. Hubris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2024 11:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!