Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The hatred in Joan's eyes

Joan wasn't a good enough actress to contain her immense hatred of Christina in this TV appearance. She didn't like being surprised on live TV by Jerry and Christina. I'm surprised she didn't walk off the set.

"Oh, you were told about her? Christina Crawford, my ddddddd......daughter."

There's no doubt that she tormented that poor girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 7, 2024 1:32 PM

A very complex and damaged woman.

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2024 3:29 PM

Please have the courtesy to refer to me as Mrs. Alfred Steele.

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2024 3:33 PM

Sharon Stone should have played Joan in "Feud."

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2024 3:33 PM

“I am NOT one of your telethon phone bank workers!”

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2024 3:35 PM

I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2024 3:38 PM

I don’t ask much from you girl! Why can’t you help me man these phones? I don’t want any trouble from you!

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2024 3:39 PM

Joan answering phones at the telethon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2024 3:42 PM

Tough Love Dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2024 3:49 PM

Tina! Fetch me the tote board!

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2024 3:52 PM

JC was a drunk. For decades. I believe she is drunk in this cringe worthy recording. Being a blackout drunk was at odds with Crawford's formidable discipline.

But you are right. JC hated her adopted daughter.

Many mothers have the same hatred for their offspring, adopted or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2024 3:58 PM

[quote]JC was a drunk. For decades. I believe she is drunk in this cringe worthy recording. Being a blackout drunk was at odds with Crawford's formidable discipline.

A couple of drinks at the cocktail hour and maybe a polite glass of sherry over a business lunch does not a drunk make. Why are some of you always trying to muddy Miss Crawford's reputation?

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2024 4:02 PM

Joan would cruise up the Pacific Coast Hwy. to motel bars, get drunk and pick up random strangers to fuck her. She would wake up the next morning and find that her clothes had been ripped and her body bruised.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2024 4:07 PM

[quote]Joan would cruise up the Pacific Coast Hwy. to motel bars, get drunk and pick up random strangers to fuck her. She would wake up the next morning and find that her clothes had been ripped and her body bruised.

Oh please -- it's not like you haven't done that either.

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2024 4:10 PM

R12 are you sure you're not thinking of Neely O'Hara?

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2024 4:10 PM

OK I actually laughed out loud at the slow motion look of her disgust.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2024 4:11 PM

r12 Proof?

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2024 4:12 PM

If you're going to make up lies R12, at least make them somewhat believable.

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2024 4:12 PM

That’s from Scotty Bowers book r14 .

Joan’s cunt was a gaping maw that could never be filled to her satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2024 4:13 PM

I didn't read of JC picking up rough trade while blackout drunk.

It's possible but can not be confirmed.

The night raids Christina wrote of including destroying her garden in the dead of night were the result of JC being blackout drunk.

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2024 4:15 PM

Joan was awful but she is so beautiful in that clip. Her hair!

by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2024 4:16 PM

Christina could have cut JC off at age 18, as I have read of so many DLers doing with their horrible and homophobic parents. Just get out of Dodge and make your own way. Instead, Tina Darling chose to take canny advantage of Joan's stardom and has been, for all intents and purposes, living off her ever since.

No pity. Team Joan!

by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2024 4:16 PM

No. People are conditioned to accept the abuse and neglect from mom and dad.

Also, Christina was adopted and may have already felt abandoned by her parents and held on way longer than healthy to a toxic parent.

by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2024 4:19 PM

"My Daw-tuh."

How can you not love Joan?

by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2024 4:22 PM

No R22. Christina was a user and a parasite and a liar.

by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2024 4:24 PM

Really, R24? You were there? You're such an expert?

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2024 4:27 PM

Mara Hobel was a great child actress. She portrayed Christina like she was a nasty little cunt who knew how to fuck with Joan. That’s why we think Tina had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2024 4:30 PM

Contrarian bullshit.

Contrarians say you are wrong, "because I said so" but have no ideas to back up their impotent bullshit.

who is the person who uses " because I said so" as an argument ?

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2024 4:32 PM

Christina was a mess as a lot of abused kids grow up to be. Not as screwed up as her brother ended up, but still struggling. It doesn’t surprise me she at first tried to make it in acting. Look at all the nepo kids we have nowadays who are completely lost as to how to forge a career for themselves and go for the easy option of riding on their parents coattails.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2024 4:32 PM

Excluding yourself, children aren't cunts.

And JC didn't have to adopt children.

She deliberately choose to purchase kids from a baby broker.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2024 4:34 PM

What is R27 whining about?

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2024 4:35 PM

I'm whining about your impotent ass.

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2024 4:37 PM

You're a little obsessed with me.

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2024 4:37 PM

Also, get a new buzzword. You've worn out "contrarian." I'm not even certain you know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2024 4:38 PM

I am not a magat.

I have no obsession a three-inch pecker in the shape of a 🍄.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2024 4:40 PM

Sorry to derail your thread, op. 😎

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2024 4:41 PM

R21 is projecting again

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2024 4:41 PM

No you're not.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2024 4:42 PM

Myrna Loy had it right about Tina Darling....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2024 4:43 PM

Myrna Loy was a massive cunt.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2024 4:44 PM

There are plenty of people including Marlene Dietrich who saw suspicious bruises on JC's kids.

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2024 4:45 PM

R25 He was there. He mowed Mrs Steele’s lawn.

by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2024 4:46 PM

Marlene’s daughter said she saw that horrible contraption Christopher was forced to wear at night and asked her mother about it. Marlene told her to keep her mouth shut. No one told tales out of school back then. Completely verboten.

by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2024 4:48 PM

Why did anyone ever like her? She was a terrible actress, harsh looking and a cunt. Next please.

by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2024 4:51 PM

As I say in all of these threads, Joan should have left that ungrateful brat in the foundling home or returned her to the teen mother knocked up by either her father or brother who she was stolen from.

by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2024 4:52 PM

R44 is that what your mother did to you?

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2024 4:55 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2024 4:57 PM

Speaking of, what WAS that contraption Christopher had to wear at night?

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2024 4:59 PM

A Chasity belt

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2024 5:01 PM

Back then, there was no such thing as child abuse. Spanking kids was considered a normal way to correct a child's unwanted behavior.

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2024 5:04 PM

The defenses for Joan mostly come from the old timers who didn’t want their kids doing tell alls about their less than perfect upbringings for cash. They saw it as a total disrespect of privacy. Which is interesting because from what I’ve read, Joan was much worse than the typically neglectful and emotionally cold parents of the time - Henry Fonda and Bette Davis (for some examples) weren’t “excellent” parents, but they truly were common in terms of child rearing, especially for wealthy entertainer/artist types.

Myrna wasn’t a cunt, but she was Joan’s friend. Her loyalty to her friend and a more old-school view of privacy as well as a bad personal experience of Christina colored her comments.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2024 5:07 PM

Dietrich's only child outed her mother as neglectful, emotionally abusive and vindictive.

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2024 5:10 PM

On a sidebar, I can’t really think of any old Hollywood stars who could be considered good parents by today’s very narrow viewpoints. Audrey Hepburn? She pretty much gave up her film career to raise her kids and those brats still fight over her estate. And she was from a much later generation than the initial golden age stars.

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2024 5:10 PM

R51 Dietrich’s daughter is someone who I see as a more suspect than Christina, considering she did not really mention the amount of money she took from Dietrich for her entire life, nor Dietrich basically supporting her and her family throughout her adulthood. Marlene was (as previously stated) a typical neglectful and cold wealthy parent of the time, but not someone out of the ordinary. Crawford very much was.

by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2024 5:13 PM

Don't parents support their children financially?

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2024 5:14 PM

R53 yeah but Marlene’s daughter was more like her mother’s personal assistant than a daughter. Maybe she deserved the paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2024 5:17 PM

R49 Palie from the grave.

by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2024 5:18 PM

I don’t think it’s normal for your parent to be supporting you financially well into adulthood. BD Hyman was a similar case. I don’t think Maria Riva wanted her mother painted as outright monster like BD attempt though.

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2024 5:19 PM

[quote]Why did anyone ever like her? She was a terrible actress, harsh looking and a cunt.

Miss Crawford was not harsh looking when movie audiences first fell in love with her. She was perhaps MGM's most glamorous star back in the 1930s. Her looks hardened as she matured, but by then her female and gay male fans were legion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2024 5:19 PM

BD Hyman, what a wreck. She turned into a fat ugly religious nut.

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2024 5:21 PM

I love all JC films from the 1950s. The 1950s were a fashion and beauty highlight for actors. Glamorous and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2024 5:22 PM

R12. Hell that's a typical weekend for an Eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2024 5:24 PM

Maria...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2024 5:25 PM

R21- Get out of Dodge and into a Plymouth.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2024 5:25 PM

In the video op provides, you see that the 1960s fashions were harsh and not as flattering as the previous decade. Only the really young looked good in that era.

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2024 5:26 PM

It's not clear whether Crawford was as abusive as Christina has claimed, but I think it's indisputable she was too strict with her eldest children (Christina and Christopher). She had come up from nothing and made herself a star out of sheer willpower and discipline, and she seemed to think that's how she should mother, and since she was a single parent that's how she did it. I think she eased up much more with Cathy and Cindy when she saw how badly it worked out with the older two kids. The two younger girls always have had good things to say about their mother, and have strongly disputed Christina's claims; but they were much younger and were not there when Christina and Christopher were small. And Christopher did vaguely corroborate his older sister's claims (though he never went into detail).

Several of Joan's friends disputed the claims made against her and no one in Hollywood seems to have witnessed any physical abuse of the elder children. but several old Hollywood figures said they did think Joan was oppressively strict with the elder kids: Helen Hayes, Natalie Schafer, June Allyson, Vincent Sherman.

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2024 5:26 PM

[quote] I don’t think it’s normal for your parent to be supporting you financially well into adulthood.

You must not be a Millennial or a Zoomer.

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2024 5:27 PM

If you are a parent to an only child I see nothing wrong with supporting an adult IF you have the means to and IF you want to.

by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2024 5:29 PM

Dietrich also developed a problem with alcohol and addiction to powerful painkillers beginning in her middle age.

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2024 5:34 PM

R65 Joan wasn’t crazy enough to unleash her own brand of physical discipline on Tina and Christopher in front of others. Of course her friends would defend her. Even acquaintances who said they didn’t see much or nothing at all weren’t privy to the goings on behind her closed doors all the time. So her friends and defenders protestations mean nothing to me. The truth is most likely in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote]Speaking of, what WAS that contraption Christopher had to wear at night?

It was meant to prevent toddlers from falling out of bed when they transitioned from sleeping in a crib. Not at all necessary, but the kind of thing some parents worried about. Joan made Christopher wear it until he was almost a teenager. There is a level of sadism to that that makes me shudder. She had a side of her personality that was disgustingly dark and frankly, depraved.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2024 5:48 PM

She’s drunk.

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2024 5:48 PM

R69, they all knew. Hollywood stars were in a mafia situation, beholden to the studios. They didn’t want to held culpable and they were pulling their own depraved shit. Joan told a newspaper about beating her kids with hairbrushes and making her son eat chocolate until he vomited to teach him a lesson. Many Hollywood stars came out about witnessing the abuse, including Joan smacking her son Christopher’s face because she didn’t like how he was holding a spoon eating. It went flying across the room. The actor friend told her that these children were going to grow up hating her if she didn’t stop. Joan told him to shut his fucking mouth. She went through staff non-stop. Many of them were horrified by what she was doing to the children.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2024 5:52 PM

"Christina Crawford...my dotah."

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2024 5:59 PM

Here's more of Joan's appearance on the telethon. Bitch was 10 sheets to the wind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2024 5:59 PM

R74 I love the way she practically yanks Christina's arm out its socket as she drags the spoiled, thoughtless child off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2024 6:04 PM

Perfect music, ha ha! Was Cruella DeVille modeled after JC?

by Anonymousreply 76March 3, 2024 6:05 PM

I don't see what OP is claiming at all. And when did she stammer?

by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote]Perfect music, ha ha! Was Cruella DeVille modeled after JC?

No, Mary Wickes was...and it's DeVil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2024 6:09 PM

She was meaner to Hope Lange in The Best of Everything. But I like her refined pronunciation. "My dough-tah". Actually I don't like her refined pronunciation. I can't always get into her movies, for that reason. "Ah-syoom".

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2024 6:11 PM

Mary Wickes was modeled after Joan Crawford? Well, I'll be.

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2024 7:18 PM

I love Joan.

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2024 7:28 PM

Joan was a woman who should have NEVER been a mother. Regardless of what her stupid ass twin daughters assert.

by Anonymousreply 82March 3, 2024 7:30 PM

R10 Glad you picked up on that.

by Anonymousreply 83March 3, 2024 7:36 PM

R74, completely hammered. Jerry looked like he couldn’t wait to get her ass off stage.

by Anonymousreply 84March 3, 2024 7:41 PM

Jerry, please! PLEASE, JERRY!

by Anonymousreply 85March 3, 2024 7:54 PM

I don't understand how anyone can actually love Joan Crawford unironically.

by Anonymousreply 86March 3, 2024 8:13 PM

[quote]I don't understand how anyone can actually love Joan Crawford unironically.

Hey, r86, she wasn't *my* mother.

by Anonymousreply 87March 3, 2024 8:17 PM

“Hey Jerry, let’s bring out all of your disinherited kids?”

by Anonymousreply 88March 3, 2024 8:21 PM

R87 She's just not loveable.

by Anonymousreply 89March 3, 2024 8:42 PM

Marlene Dietrich did nothing to her ex lover after Maria told her that she was sexually assaulted by her. I think Marlene blamed Maria for the incident. Marlene was an awful woman, concerned only with her image, blowjobs and cunnilingus.

by Anonymousreply 90March 3, 2024 9:10 PM

Marlene wasn't totally an awful woman not with all the dangerous touring she did overseas in battle zones and all that. She sure didn't have to do any of that, and she was in her '40s.

by Anonymousreply 91March 3, 2024 9:18 PM

I saw Orson Welles (who was himself an awful parent, but that's not important right now) on some show...or I read it...anyway he said the difference between Dietrich and Garbo was:

A ex-soldier who had lost his leg waited outside Sardi's to get autographs. When Orson left the restaurant with Marlene, she gladly signed the autograph and was warm and friendly to the soldier. When Welles was there another day with Garbo, he said Garbo told the soldier, "I never sign autographs".

by Anonymousreply 92March 3, 2024 9:22 PM

Marlene Dietrich told Hitler and her homeland to go to hell, became a naturalized American citizen, and threw herself into the Allied war effort. She went to Germany during the war knowing that if she'd been captured they would have killed her.

Yes she was a cold and distant mother to Maria but she also did a lot of good things for people. As an above poster mentioned, Marlene supported Maria and her family for decades. Marlene had a townhouse on the UES that she gave to Maria and also let her use a Park Ave. apartment that she also owned.

by Anonymousreply 93March 3, 2024 9:45 PM

What's the UES?

by Anonymousreply 94March 3, 2024 10:06 PM

*taps on screen*

by Anonymousreply 95March 3, 2024 10:12 PM

(Welles's point being that the soldier had given a limb for her sake but Garbo was too dumb to even give that any thought.)

by Anonymousreply 96March 3, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote] The hatred in Joan's eyes

The sadly unfilmed follow up to The Eyes of Laura Mars

by Anonymousreply 97March 3, 2024 10:16 PM

Mommy Dearest did touch on it, a bit.

by Anonymousreply 98March 3, 2024 10:25 PM

Upper East side.

by Anonymousreply 99March 3, 2024 10:40 PM

If only there was video of Joan filling in for her daughter on The Secret Storm.

by Anonymousreply 100March 3, 2024 10:43 PM

I hate Jerry Lewis, too.

by Anonymousreply 101March 3, 2024 10:49 PM

Apparently all of the video from Joan's appearance on The Secret Storm has been lost, but the audio still exists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 3, 2024 11:17 PM

Ultimately Christina was jealous of Joans career, it surpassed anyone in her life. Sadly, Joan wasn't the mother she could have been because of her own trauma.

by Anonymousreply 103March 3, 2024 11:23 PM

Jealousy is just a feeling. Beating your kids senseless after you moved heaven and earth to purchase, not adopt PURCHASE them is reprehensible.

You can't condemn someone who feels jealous but child abuse deserves condemnation .

by Anonymousreply 104March 3, 2024 11:34 PM

Joan did a soap so that her daughter wouldn't lose her job. If that's not a mother's love, I don't what is and she sill wrote all those lies about Joan. Ungrateful thing. And it wasn't like Secret Storm was one of the top rated shows.

by Anonymousreply 105March 3, 2024 11:50 PM

[quote]Was Cruella DeVille modeled after JC?

The evil Queen in Snow White was modeled after Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 3, 2024 11:59 PM

Christina felt rightly that Joan was trying to steal her thunder. And it was Christina's first real experience of spreading her own wings. It was psychologically abusive and fucked up any way you look at it.

by Anonymousreply 107March 4, 2024 12:05 AM

Joan clearly had boundary issues with her children. Biiiig ones.

by Anonymousreply 108March 4, 2024 12:06 AM

R105 Christina wouldn’t have lost her job. They would’ve just recast with someone that was the same age or close as Christina. Joan’s career was in the crapper and winding down at this point. She made herself look like a fool trying to play a woman in her twenties. All for a modest paycheck and some publicity, all the while trying to fuck with Tina.

by Anonymousreply 109March 4, 2024 12:08 AM

No one was trying to fuck with Tina, R109. These oh poor Tina stories are just too much.

by Anonymousreply 110March 4, 2024 12:11 AM

Tina was a stupid cow. Joan made the mistake of just smacking Tina around, when Joan really needed to smack some sense into that dumb cunt’s thick skull.

by Anonymousreply 111March 4, 2024 12:15 AM

R110 Really? Her mother, a much bigger star than her (even on the downslide) uses her daughter's illness to jump into her role, the role she won and is playing every day, and pulls attention from her, all in the guise of being a "thoughtful" mother, to get positive attention for herself? Fuckin' hell.

by Anonymousreply 112March 4, 2024 12:18 AM

[quote]Christina wouldn’t have lost her job. They would’ve just recast with someone that was the same age or close as Christina.

Wasn’t Christina absent because she was in the hospital? Appendicitis or something?

by Anonymousreply 113March 4, 2024 12:20 AM

R109 of course she was. Joan hated that Tina started acting, and saw her as competition. What’s more fucked up than being jealous of your own daughter trying to make her mark in the industry by starting out on a soap when you’re an Oscar winner? Instead of being gracious and passing the torch, so to speak, she made herself a laughing stock by playing a young woman. No doubt in my mind Joan was thinking I’ll show her how it’s done. It was an embarrassing stunt and lowdown even for Crawford. She pulled the same shit trying to upstage Bette by accepting the Bancroft Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 114March 4, 2024 12:23 AM

R113 it was a benign stomach tumor.

by Anonymousreply 115March 4, 2024 12:25 AM

The flames on the side of her face and all...!

by Anonymousreply 116March 4, 2024 12:28 AM

Poor Joan just wanted to be loved. Unfortunately a child also wants to be loved too, and is not in a position to make up for the lack of love not received in her own childhood.

by Anonymousreply 117March 4, 2024 12:30 AM

I just wanna be LOVED!! Is that so WRONG?!!

by Anonymousreply 118March 4, 2024 12:32 AM

Joan was very vindictive, in a hypocritical way. She was always backstabbing people then smiling and saying "Bless you." Even Stanwyck, one of her few actual friends, had a beef with her about her hypocrisy and lying. Something to do with a White House dinner Joan was at.

by Anonymousreply 119March 4, 2024 12:34 AM

[quote]it was a benign stomach tumor

Or an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 120March 4, 2024 12:34 AM

I'm not sure how the Christina Crawford fan club got access to DL, but DL is a Pro Joan Crawford site. Joan was a friend to the gays. Tina, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 121March 4, 2024 12:36 AM

Why are you going against the groupthink??

by Anonymousreply 122March 4, 2024 12:37 AM

Garbo and Hepburn had the right idea by not having children. They were also two self-absorbed bitches who only had time for themselves.

In her later years, Hepburn said in interviews that she never regretted not having children because she knew she would've been a terrible mother.

by Anonymousreply 123March 4, 2024 12:38 AM

The person behind this website is not one of Christina's fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 4, 2024 12:40 AM

Garbo never got married, another reason she never had children....

by Anonymousreply 125March 4, 2024 12:42 AM

It's too depressing to revisit but no, Chris C didn't lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 4, 2024 12:44 AM

Chris C was purchased by a single parent who had unhealed childhood trauma, personality disorders and substance abuse issues.

by Anonymousreply 127March 4, 2024 12:47 AM

[quote]Tann also arranged for the taking of children born to inmates at Tennessee mental institutions

Tina's origin story.

by Anonymousreply 128March 4, 2024 12:48 AM

Tann is a masculine looking individual.

by Anonymousreply 129March 4, 2024 1:07 AM

Not any more.

by Anonymousreply 130March 4, 2024 1:13 AM

R17 That was an old Hollywood legend.

by Anonymousreply 131March 4, 2024 1:33 AM

Tina said that telethon was one of the rare occasions she and Joan got along.

by Anonymousreply 132March 4, 2024 1:38 AM

Joan Crawford and Jerry Lewis -- worlds colliding.

by Anonymousreply 133March 4, 2024 1:50 AM

R106 Except Joan was still a beautiful young star when Snow White came out.

by Anonymousreply 134March 4, 2024 2:04 AM

Joan could have been a loving mother to her younger children (twin girls) and a hard mother to Christina and Christopher.

It's possible that Christina was a difficult daughter, as well.

Joan did "return" one of her adopted children.

Nobody knows what went on behind closed doors.

My opinion: Joan was probably abusive to her two older children.

by Anonymousreply 135March 4, 2024 2:34 AM

R76, Tallulah Bankhead was the inspiration for Cruella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 4, 2024 2:43 AM

On tonight...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 4, 2024 2:47 AM

Great thread title.

by Anonymousreply 138March 4, 2024 3:19 AM

Don't give OP credit. It's the title of the video.

by Anonymousreply 139March 4, 2024 3:23 AM

So what. OP was smart enough to use the video title in the thread title.

So many horrible thread titles on DL.

by Anonymousreply 140March 4, 2024 3:26 AM

You impress easily.

by Anonymousreply 141March 4, 2024 3:27 AM

Is it so hard to let OP be complimented?

by Anonymousreply 142March 4, 2024 3:35 AM

Joan Crawford reminds me of my grandma

by Anonymousreply 143March 4, 2024 3:42 AM

! ! !

by Anonymousreply 144March 4, 2024 3:49 AM

Before the internet, before memes, on greeting cards and postcards, everywhere, there were caricatures or photos of Joan saying, "I never laid a hand on those fuckin' kids!" Still makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 145March 4, 2024 4:10 AM

We condole you, r143.

by Anonymousreply 146March 4, 2024 5:17 AM

I remember Larry King asking Debbie Reynolds about Crawford. She said Joan would get drunk and go home and take it out on the kids. Christina got the worst of it she said.

by Anonymousreply 147March 4, 2024 6:30 AM

Be careful of dissing St Joan. I’ve seen those unhinged super-fans stalk and dox people in the FB groups. They had several Joan parody groups shut down by infiltrating and reporting them nonstop. They’re not old either; most were born after Joan died.

by Anonymousreply 148March 4, 2024 7:15 AM

She’s drunk as hell in that video.

by Anonymousreply 149March 4, 2024 7:30 AM

Anyone else notice that was the same hateful look and expression on Crawford's face that Melania had on hers at the Inaguration???

by Anonymousreply 150March 4, 2024 7:33 AM

[quote]r12 Joan would cruise up the Pacific Coast Hwy. to motel bars, get drunk and pick up random strangers to fuck her. She would wake up the next morning and find that her clothes had been ripped and her body bruised.

[quote]r16 Proof?

This is actually discussed in Bob Thomas’s highly respected biography on her, published in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 151March 4, 2024 7:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 4, 2024 7:39 AM

R113 It was on ovarian tumor.

Completely benign, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 153March 4, 2024 11:08 AM

Fascinated by Crawford but admittedly don’t know much about her. Why did she hate Christina?

by Anonymousreply 154March 4, 2024 1:01 PM

Joan was deeply mentally ill. Probably bipolar or with severe OCD, and an alcoholic on top of it. These kinds of people, unless on some GREAT medication, do not make loving parents.

by Anonymousreply 155March 4, 2024 2:00 PM

R154 Read Mommie Dearest to get the story.

by Anonymousreply 156March 4, 2024 2:00 PM

[quote]Read Mommie Dearest to get the story.

To get one side of the story.

by Anonymousreply 157March 4, 2024 2:02 PM

If Bob Thomas wrote that, he probably cleaned it up (!) He was pretty tasteful.

by Anonymousreply 158March 4, 2024 2:24 PM

Vincent Sherman, who directed a few of her films, was allegedly a witness to the abuse that JC inflicted upon her older children. IIRC it was on E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORIES that he said this. They came to blows over this and he ended their relationship personally and professionally.

by Anonymousreply 159March 4, 2024 3:11 PM

Yeah, Sherman was also fucking Joanie.

June Allyson (who actually got her daughter Pam from the same baby broker) mentioned something in her book about visiting Joan and seeing something, but I forget what.

All IMDB says is: "Witnessed Joan Crawford's cruel treatment of her daughter Christina Crawford and claims the book and film adaptation Mommie Dearest (1981) are honest accounts of how Joan treated her children."

by Anonymousreply 160March 4, 2024 3:15 PM

Joan's look of distaste is caused by Jerry's impertinence at turning his back on Joan while she is still talking to him.

by Anonymousreply 161March 4, 2024 3:17 PM

Imagine Jerry Lewis of all people being impertinent.

by Anonymousreply 162March 4, 2024 3:20 PM

Thank you, Tina, at R153.

Is that a polite term for a syph baby?

by Anonymousreply 163March 4, 2024 3:24 PM

Myrna Loy was one of the most stable, kind, centered and reasonable people in Hollywood (or anywhere else).

And Tina returning yet again at R39 doesn't change that fact.

by Anonymousreply 164March 4, 2024 3:33 PM

Yes.

Use MY mother as an example of a reliable source.

I'd laugh if I weren't dead.

by Anonymousreply 165March 4, 2024 3:35 PM

Myrna Loy was a fucking cunt. there are several stories about her cuntitude when she was on the way down, doing summer stock.

And anyone who defended Joan is a cunt without it needing to be said.

by Anonymousreply 166March 4, 2024 3:45 PM

That Joan "returned" an adopted child isn't quite true. The child you mean was Philip Terry Jr. a/k/a the first Christopher, and what actually happened is the birth mother somehow tracked down the baby, tried to blackmail Crawford, and somehow managed to take the child back from Joan; then the birth mom sold the child for drug money. Later, the child's name was Gary Deatherage and he wrote a book called The Other Side of My Life.

by Anonymousreply 167March 4, 2024 3:57 PM

I thought there was a daughter before Christina whom Joan returned.

by Anonymousreply 168March 4, 2024 3:59 PM

That orphanage had a better return policy than Costco

by Anonymousreply 169March 4, 2024 4:05 PM

Gary Deatherage. Was he in a punk band?

by Anonymousreply 170March 4, 2024 4:07 PM

Hardly, R170.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171March 4, 2024 5:10 PM

It's not a toomah!

by Anonymousreply 172March 4, 2024 6:11 PM

R166 has tertiary syphilis of where the brain should be.

by Anonymousreply 173March 4, 2024 6:13 PM

Myrna was known to be a kind and generous actress, but she was wrong about Joan.

by Anonymousreply 174March 4, 2024 6:17 PM

Myrna had no chillen.

by Anonymousreply 175March 4, 2024 6:24 PM

Myrna was barren because of an illegal abortion gone bad.

by Anonymousreply 176March 4, 2024 6:31 PM

Who the fuck cares about Myrna?!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 177March 4, 2024 6:31 PM

I don't know who cares about Myrna, but it's not like there needs to be another Joan Crawford discussion, either.

by Anonymousreply 178March 4, 2024 6:34 PM

I would believe June Allyson over Myrna. June tells her story about Joan and Christina at the 10:20 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 4, 2024 7:17 PM

June pissed constantly

by Anonymousreply 180March 4, 2024 7:39 PM

In the early part of 1978, Waylon Flowers and Madame appeared on a talk show (sorry I’ve forgotten which one but I think one of the ones broadcast in the afternoon). Madame said, “Well, it’s 1978, Joan Crawford’s still dead and deserves every minute of it.”

by Anonymousreply 181March 4, 2024 7:49 PM

Myrna Loy was a much, much better actress and more beautiful than Joan. I'd rather have a thread on her at this point...

by Anonymousreply 182March 4, 2024 8:00 PM

Jesus, who's the fucking Myrna Loy troll who has every stool she shit from 1973-1981 in a fancy jar collection? We get it. You LOVE her. She was still a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 183March 4, 2024 8:18 PM

R180, June Allyson retailed her her bubbly cheerful nature until older age. She was kind of a joy to watch in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 184March 4, 2024 8:38 PM

June Allyson was always shitting her pants. It got so bad she couldn't leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 185March 4, 2024 8:45 PM

And yet June had an affair with Dick Powell, who left Joan Blondell for her. She wasn't really the wholesome and bubbly cutie-pie she portrayed.

by Anonymousreply 186March 4, 2024 9:25 PM

Dick & June’s daughter, then-21, was a principal on the syndicated TTTT. She worked for the Nixon administration on the upcoming Bicentennial.

by Anonymousreply 187March 4, 2024 9:42 PM

Myrna Loy worked with Christina Crawford on the Chicago production of "Barefoot in the Park" when Christina replaced Joan Van Ark. Loy said Christina had potential, but was stubborn and unwilling to "do a single thing that anyone told her to do." Loy compared Christina's behavior as an actress unfavorably to her friend Joan's, who she said was "too professional" to indulge in such antics. Loy said, "I wanted to beat the hell out of Christina after only one rehearsal!" Christina eventually married the stage manager of the production, but was fired when Neil Simon saw her performance. Loy's dismissal of Christina's claims of childhood abuse (which Loy claimed were "rooted in envy") seems to have been very strongly colored by her disgust with Christina's incompetence as an actress and her abrasiveness as a colleague.

by Anonymousreply 188March 4, 2024 10:05 PM

Christina was attending a private party at Elvis's home. She took offense to something Elvis said and threw a drink in his face. He told his Memphis Mafia to "Get that bitch out of here!".

by Anonymousreply 189March 4, 2024 10:19 PM

Sure, Jan

by Anonymousreply 190March 4, 2024 10:19 PM

Fuck off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 4, 2024 10:22 PM

Oh, well if it's one some rando youtube video, it must be true.

by Anonymousreply 192March 4, 2024 10:25 PM

She was suffering from PTSD

by Anonymousreply 193March 4, 2024 10:26 PM

R192 needs to watch the video before he comments.

by Anonymousreply 194March 4, 2024 10:29 PM

Bette: "We didn't celebrate Christmas when I was a child."

Joan: "Jesus wasn't born when you were a child."

by Anonymousreply 195March 4, 2024 10:31 PM

[quote]"I wanted to beat the hell out of Christina..."

Said by many, except the weird DL TinaStans.

by Anonymousreply 196March 4, 2024 10:32 PM

R196 Certainly said by Joan.

by Anonymousreply 197March 4, 2024 10:33 PM

Oh yeah, she's drunk. "The tragsh.edy presented by (long pause) Muscular Dystrophy."

by Anonymousreply 198March 5, 2024 12:30 AM

Christina was a shockingly ugly person. Did Joan adopt her from one of those sideshow families?

by Anonymousreply 199March 5, 2024 12:36 AM

Why did Christina sport a mushroom cut? Was it the heavy influence on fashion that Ann Romano had in that rich period that influenced her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 5, 2024 1:08 AM

Joan drank all day every day from the 1940s onward. She was always soused.

Two years before she died, Joan was drunk and alone in her NY apartment when she passed out and hit her head on a table. When she woke up on the floor hours later she had two black eyes and cuts and bruises all over her face. She stopped drinking immediately, which was quite a feat after decades of chronic alcoholism.

It was too late though, as she died from pancreatic cancer.

by Anonymousreply 201March 5, 2024 1:12 AM

Are you all gay men or frauen? It’s funny to defend a woman from credible accusations of child abuse, you call another woman corroborating those accusations a homewrecker as if that has ANYTHING to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 202March 5, 2024 1:12 AM

Also, compared to antics of Joanie, June Allyson breaking up only one marriage makes her a saint.

Joan Blondell had awful taste in men. Dick Powell and Mike Todd? Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 203March 5, 2024 1:16 AM

Mike Todd was my greatest love.

by Anonymousreply 204March 5, 2024 1:35 AM

Christina was adopted. That means it's possible she was related to Bonnie Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 205March 5, 2024 1:41 AM

Joan’s Good Daughter sets the record straight about that rancid cunt Tina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 5, 2024 2:08 AM

Joan’s Good Daughter sets the record straight about that evil cunt Christina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 5, 2024 2:09 AM

#JuneKnew

by Anonymousreply 208March 5, 2024 2:15 AM

Sorry I posted twice.

by Anonymousreply 209March 5, 2024 2:23 AM

Joan Blondell was in The Opposite Sex because she went to June and asked her to use her influence to get her a part, which June did, despite Joan having bad mouthed her for years.

by Anonymousreply 210March 5, 2024 2:36 AM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 5, 2024 2:45 AM

“I looked at that book, but I did not need to read it. I wouldn’t read trash like that, and I think it was a terrible, terrible thing for a daughter to do. An abomination! To do something like that to someone who saved you from the orphanage, foster homes—who knows what. If she didn’t like the person who chose to be her mother, she was grown up and could choose her own life."

-Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 212March 5, 2024 2:51 AM

Her other daughters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 5, 2024 2:59 AM

At the 1976 "Night of 1,000 Stars" Bonnie Franklin was seen backstage, with hatred in her eyes, slapping Christina quite viciously for "stealing my mushroom cut"!

by Anonymousreply 214March 5, 2024 3:40 AM

Cindy and Cathy didn't know jack shit about what went on. By the time they were cognizant of anything, Christina was out of the house. Anyone relying on them to set the record straight is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 215March 5, 2024 3:58 AM

Christina wasn't sporting a mushroom cut at the link above. That's a pageboy, and I think it was a wig because this was about the time she was post-brain surgery after nearly dying when she had an aneurysm.

by Anonymousreply 216March 5, 2024 4:23 AM

A young David Niven was once dragooned by the studio suits into escorting an aging Crawford to some Hollywood event, and it was explained to him that whoever escorted her for the evening was expected to fuck her afterward.

He wasn't interested, but after he brought her home, she went upstairs to change and he went to use her telephone in the entryway. Moments later, he felt moisture, and looked up to find Oscar winner Joan Crawford perched over the railing, pissing on him from above.

Bruce Vilanch told the story on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. Lucille "Le Sewer," indeed.

by Anonymousreply 217March 5, 2024 4:59 AM

Joan's devotion to her fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218March 5, 2024 9:51 AM

That was one hard looking bitch.

The jewelry, the up-dos, the tailored clothes, the speech training...nothing hid the fact.

by Anonymousreply 219March 5, 2024 10:03 AM

An eyewitness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 5, 2024 11:18 AM

r182 Yet you keep bumping this one

by Anonymousreply 221March 5, 2024 11:42 AM

David Niven wasn’t that much younger than Joan. A few years.

by Anonymousreply 222March 5, 2024 12:07 PM

[QUOTE] Christina wasn't sporting a mushroom cut at the link above. That's a pageboy, and I think it was a wig because this was about the time she was post-brain surgery after nearly dying when she had an aneurysm.

Maybe it's a modified mushroom cut but she looks just like Bonnie in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 223March 5, 2024 12:07 PM

[quote]By the time they were cognizant of anything, Christina was out of the house.

Is this an institution of higher learning or a TEENAGE BROTHEL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 5, 2024 10:50 PM

I should've know she'd know where to find the boys and the booze

by Anonymousreply 225March 6, 2024 12:36 AM

Is she holding onto the card as Jerry's holding it? Is he like alright thanks, back off? Reading too much?

by Anonymousreply 226March 6, 2024 3:02 AM

I always pretty much assumed that Joan was exactly like Jerri Blank in real life...

by Anonymousreply 227March 6, 2024 2:43 PM

She’ll feel better after she goes home and makes Spanish Dinnah for her friends.

by Anonymousreply 228March 7, 2024 1:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!