Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN's "United States of Scandal : JOHN EDWARDS"

The CNN special is very good - it brought back so many memories from the 2008 Presidential campaign and the downfall of the once-shining Presidential candidate John Edwards. (I really liked Edwards - he was my choice in early 2008 before he suspended his campaign). His campaign staff member Andrew Young was one sexy guy, too.

What does everyone else remember about Edwards and his downfall. In this new era of Trump, do you think Edwards' affair and 'campaign hush money' would bring him down today if he was running for President in 2024 ? Anyone else think he was a good candidate in 2008 ?

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2024 7:37 PM

He was my choice as well.

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2024 1:59 AM

The John Edwards scandals is when politics at least had the appearance of having a moral standard. The DNC itself forced him to drop out of the race.

Jump ahead to 2016 with Trump who had 20 legitimate accusations of sexual assault or rape, obvious Russian connections, 4 bankruptcies, evidence of Trump bragging about grabbing women by the pussy, and the Republicans don't care. "I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and get away with it". Basically nothing matters.

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2024 2:02 AM

I wonder if he was under the GOP in 2008, would they have let him continue with his campaign ?

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote] In this new era of Trump, do you think Edwards' affair and 'campaign hush money' would bring him down today if he was running for President in 2024 ?

Don't be silly, OP, he's a Democrat!

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2024 2:07 AM

He was my choice, too. His affair - while he wife was dying of cancer - killed his chances. Prior to that, the media had a field day with his $200 haircuts. Reminded me of the number they did on Dukakis when he did the photo shoot in an Army tank, wearing a leather helmet! Merciless.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2024 2:16 AM

I remember very well his presidential campaign announcement, which was held in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

When he dropped out, he swore to become a crusader against American poverty — and then didn't do a damn thing.

His children hate him.

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2024 2:25 AM

And now We Have Lorena Boobert giving hand jobs in a darkened theater and her machine gun toting son is a career criminal. Shamelessness.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2024 2:30 AM

SEE?! It’s both sides!

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2024 2:38 AM

When we go high they say kiss my ass.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2024 3:04 AM

You really have to question your judgment if John Edwards was ever your choice to be president.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2024 3:38 AM

R6 One of his daughters is in his law firm now, so she probably doesn’t hate him.

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2024 1:24 PM

R5, $400 haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2024 1:56 PM

We've fallen a long way if what Edwards did in 2008 has been 'normalized' today, thanks to the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2024 2:44 PM

John Edwards always reminded me of the pretty boy, but vacant John Davidson and I hated John Davidson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2024 2:52 PM

That clip of him fussing with his hair is classic. I never saw him the same again. Totally reminds me of DeSantis and his lifts.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2024 3:11 PM

Susan Sarandon was a big Edwards supporter in '08. Enough said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2024 3:57 PM

I always thought the younger Timothy Olyphant looked and talked a lot like John Edwards, and thought he'd be ideal casting to play him in a movie if ever a ("Lifetime") movie was made about his rise and spectacular fall. Olyphant has definitely aged over the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2024 10:48 PM

A more recent photo of Olyphant (with gray hair, now).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2024 10:49 PM

I saw John Edwards as a faux RFK charlatan. He was saying all the right things that liberals wanted to hear, but that was not who he was, either as a person or politically. I'm glad he was exposed when he was, Democrats did not need another president with a scandal.

by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2024 1:42 AM

Andrew Young’s book is a good read. Rielle Hunter lived with the Young’s for awhile and was everything you expected her to be- a rude, lazy entitled cunt who wouldn’t pick up after herself.

John and Elizabeth Edwards both came off horribly in the book. Elizabeth ran the show, and John never wanted to go into politics. Elizabeth lost her mind after her son Wade died in 1996 starting with the 10 foot over the top sculpture she had commissioned for Wades grave, pushing John into politics, to going on fertility drugs and having 2 kids at 48 and 50. I think she loved wade more that she did John and her daughter Cate.

by Anonymousreply 20March 4, 2024 2:19 AM

High maintenance, say what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2024 1:02 PM

That was crazy. How public figures think they can get away with affairs in this day and age is crazy too. His girlfriend’s father had her show jumper killed for the insurance money I remember.

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2024 7:54 PM

Hmm. Attendee John Edwards was invited to the DNC - his first since 2004 - &, he claims, offered a car & driver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2024 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!