Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black Sails (2014-2017)--I know I'm late to the party, but did anyone watch this?

I just recently re-read "Treasure Island," and enjoyed it so much I'm watching "Black Sails," which I missed when it was first out because it was on Starz (and so hard to access) and because I did not like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I have such mixed feelings about it. There seems to be a secret gym and shower and laundromat hidden in the pirate ship because most of the pirates are so well built and have clean hair and clean clothing, so that seems weird. And the lead woman who plays the pirates' fence looks like Keira Knightley and wears 21st-c. make-up. But the stories are pretty harrowing, and the sets are incredible. There's lots of eye candy, too (thanks to the well built actors playing sailors), especially the guy who plays Long John Silver. The lead is Toby Stephens and he's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2024 10:59 AM

I prefer the term “Sails of Color”.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2024 5:14 PM

Yes, watched it when it aired and loved it. Had a pretty big fandom at the time, really transports you to a different world.

I wanted to mention a pivotal moment in the show and the fan response to it, but I don't know how far into the series you are, I don't want to spoil it for you.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2024 5:22 PM

Coloured.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2024 5:23 PM

I liked the guy (can’t remember his name) with the female-looking tits on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2024 6:15 PM

I recall Charles Vane having spectacular tits. He got them out early and often as well, so you're probably thinking of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2024 6:27 PM

He does have a great body, but I am raising an eyebrow at the link calling his character "one of the handsomest men in history." He is surely not that, and I would consider both Toby Stephens and the actor playing Long John Silver, Luke Arnold, better looking.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2024 7:53 PM

I prefer Red Ships of Spain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2024 8:00 PM

[quote] I recall Charles Vane having spectacular tits.

I don’t think it was that guy.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2024 10:37 PM

r8 Sorry, it came to me only now who you must have been thinking of – Billy Bones, played by Tom Hopper! Known at the time for having female-looking tits, though he transformed them in the gym into proper pecs shortly thereafter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2024 6:45 PM

I loved this show!

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2024 6:48 PM

I have found Toby Stephens incredibly attractive since I first saw him. And it has nothing to do with his mother being my favorite actress since I first saw TPoMJB in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2024 7:11 PM

Lots of Lesbian action, but no Pirate Homo action. It has Tom Hopper in it, no Homo action The dumb guy from Shameless, Charles Vane head Pirate-u saw his cock on Shameless more, never saw it on Black Sails

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2024 7:31 PM

R5/R9, Tom Hopper is who I was thinking of especially this sort of look from the article you linked:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2024 10:39 PM

For years I thought that Toby Stephens was the Armani Acqua did Gio man in the eighties. But he was not.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2024 2:05 AM

It was a great show. I watched it from day one until the end. The first season was a little rough, but it hit its stride hard in season two and beyond.

The episode revealing Flint's history and sexuality is spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2024 2:44 AM

It was a good show, a positive show.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2024 2:45 AM

Is it still available for streaming? If so where?

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2024 4:31 PM

R17 Netflix

OP…and a dentist who performs teeth whitening

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2024 11:54 PM

Arggggggh.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2024 2:09 AM

I think Vane looks like Cate Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 2:37 AM

I'm pretty sure it has male homosexuality in its plot lines.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 3:13 AM

How perceptive.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 3:18 AM

R21 Season 2 has some homosexuality involving Captain Flint in flashback scenes.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2024 3:26 AM

Why is no one mentioning the fact Captain Flint is Maggie Smith’s son?

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2024 1:16 PM

Because we've all known about it for ages except you, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2024 1:17 PM

You don’t get any lemonade. R25

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2024 1:23 PM

Story is best of course if you are already familiar with the original Treasure Island novel. Didn't care for the Captain Flint twist but it doesn't destroy the show. Making the Creole woman such a focus the last one or two seasons was worse.

It also adds flavor to the show to understand that excluding Flint most of the featured captains were actual people. Rodgers, Rackham, Anne Bonny, etc. Though their piratical abilities and hygiene are greatly exaggerated.

As far as I can tell, it appears Anne was the only one of the relevant pirates to die peacefully of old age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2024 2:16 PM

[quote]Between August and October 1720, two female pirates named Anne Bonny and Mary Read terrorized the Caribbean in and around Jamaica.

r27 Three months! I'm always shocked by just how short the Golden Age of Piracy actually was, given its outsized influence on our imaginations.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2024 2:26 PM

Who is your favorite character in this television program?

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2024 5:53 PM

Tom Hopper-sex on the high seas!

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2024 5:57 PM

[quote] sex on the high seas!

I suppose this is more your sort of thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2024 6:01 PM

Glen Powell is what we were promised Tom Hopper would be, but sadly it never came fully together for him.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2024 6:02 PM

I think Tom Hopper could be a great character actor.

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2024 6:33 PM

Tom Hopper’s boobs could be stars!

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2024 6:48 PM

My favorite character is a tie between Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) and John Silver (Luke Arnold).

They’re decent people at their core if they make really bad decisions.

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2024 8:01 PM

[quote] I'm always shocked by just how short the Golden Age of Piracy actually was,

Even Blackbeard's pirate career only lasted four years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2024 10:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!