Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I wonder why Liz Cheney or Adam Kinzinger didn't run this time

Maybe they're waiting for 2028.

Not a fan of either politically. - but I think there is or was an appetite or an opportunity for a candidate who isn't Trump and doesn't have his baggage. None of the people who did run are exciting in any way, but I think either one of those two could have potentially sold a more moderate campaign, saying hey, we're focusing on crime, the economy and the border. Which is what any successful candidate should be focusing on this season.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 10:28 PM

Neither one of them has a chance in hell in winning a Republican primary. The Republican base is with Trump.

Cheney going against Trump meant she lost her own election.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2024 4:00 PM

Ds cheer Liz because she's anti-Trump, but how many Ds would actually vote for her over Biden? Very few. And she'd lose a lot of MAGA-loving Rs in the general, so...

But to even get to that point she'd have to win the primary which isn't happening for anyone not named Trump. Vivek was Trump, but someone who could actually speak and debate rather than just act demented. Rejected. DeSantis was Trump, but with actual results* to show for himself. Rejected. Haley is the anti-Trump. Rejected. The MAGA crowd wants Trump and Trump alone. (*I'm not saying what he pushed through Florida was good, but they were actual accomplishments he worked for and achieved, not just words like with Trump. Oh, I'm sorry, he did get his own sneakers... LOL. )

Now, are there Republicans that want someone more reasonable than Trump? Yes. Are there independents that lean R that want that? Yes. But there aren't enough to overcome the MAGAs. And even if Liz had run independent, there aren't enough Ds and Rs that would leave their candidates to help her beat the two actual parties.

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2024 4:09 PM

I never thought I'd respect her like I do. She's not just Dick Cheney in a ponytail. Either of them, mature but not old, and vigorously focused on the country, would be a breath of fresh air. Sadly no chance in hell. Also people are afraid of invoking Jan 6 for fear of stirring up shit, but the Nazis that support Trump are itching for a redo and they invoke it regularly. We better be aware. A strong candidate of opposition to the seditionists would be symbolic for the country and a lot of people need to see that.

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2024 4:11 PM

I just feel like the strength of Trump is overrated, and someone should have tried harder to appeal to the middle of the road Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2024 4:15 PM

[quote] I wonder why Liz Cheney or Adam Kinzinger didn't run this time

Maybe there’s only so much humiliation they can take at a time.

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote] Neither one of them has a chance in hell in winning a Republican primary.

To be accurate, neither of them has a chance in hell in winning a Republican or Democratic primary. When neither party wants a politician, that shows how awful that person is.

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2024 4:26 PM

Probably because of this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2024 4:30 PM

I still want Adam's dong to punch me in the fartbox.

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2024 4:30 PM

Because OP they don't want to waste their time? Cheney represents a world which no longer exists, and that has nothing to do with Trump.

Cheney represents Pax Americana. Republicans were the champions of Pax Americana since Reagan, but after the failure of Iraq, they began to back away with it. They now favor isolationism.

Who has picked up Pax Americana? The Democrats, fools that they are.

And here is the problem. The left: the actual left: also hates Pax Americana. They always have! Even Lisa Simpson has a "US OUT OF EVERYWHERE" bumper sticker!

When the far left and far right come into agreement, PAY ATTENTION. That is a major societal shift. When Biden went out after the bombardment of Israel and affirmed their right to do whatever they want, his reelection was dead. He lost the left. His values are that of his generation, who are nearly all dead. Most young people don't remember Yitzak Rabin. They have lived their whole lives with Benjamin Netanyahu.

The Biden supporters drum up Putin every five seconds. Putin, Putin, Putin, Putin. Guess what? No one under fifty cares! They barely remember the Cold War! It doesn't mean they like Putin. It means they simply don't have the visceral reaction that old people do to "evil Russia" and "godless communism."

What Cheney did was very decent even though I don't agree with her political values, many of which are despicable. But we don't live in her world anymore. She is the Norma Desmond of Jackson Hole.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2024 4:36 PM

[quote]When Biden went out after the bombardment of Israel and affirmed their right to do whatever they want, his reelection was dead. He lost the left.

So instead "the left" will help elect a man who will fully support Netanyahu's worst impulses and will scapegoat all Muslims, everywhere, including Palestine?

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2024 4:52 PM

What's wrong with the latter part? Islam is evil.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2024 5:02 PM

Biden scapegoats Muslims? Uh, okaaaaay.

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2024 5:03 PM

Trump wins the Republican nomination. Biden is elected President.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2024 5:06 PM

Read more carefully, R12.

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2024 5:12 PM

Liz and Adam have no natural constituency. Yes, many of us would be relieved to have individuals like them in office.

But how many Dems will vote for someone adamantly against abortion, for example?

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2024 5:13 PM

R13 I think the problem is that Biden will/would likely win the popular national vote... my guess is by even more than 2020 (8 million is my guess), but Trump absolutely has a chance in the electoral college. (Also, if/when Trump loses the "he won, the election was rigged and we have proof!!... there will be chaos and possibly violence.)

R4 I agree that the national mindset is wrong about the strength and popularity of Trump (and so the neurosis of American voters). Essentially he's running as an incumbent President in the primaries...and an incumbent President not reaching 60% support (in the South Carolina primary) is hugely significant.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2024 5:13 PM

Aside from hating Trump name one other thing you support that Liz has done? Was it when she came out against her gay sister getting married?

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2024 5:18 PM

[quote] So instead "the left" will help elect a man who will fully support Netanyahu's worst impulses and will scapegoat all Muslims, everywhere, including Palestine?

Have you ever heard of the maxim "the worse, is better"? That sometimes it's in your interest to want something terrible to happen, as it's the only way to convince others that you are correct?

It was coined by Lenin.

My God, you people go on and on about Russia but don't seem to know anything about Bolsheviks or the Revolution. I bet you couldn't even stay awake during Doctor Zhivago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote]R9: The Biden supporters drum up Putin every five seconds. Putin, Putin, Putin, Putin. Guess what? No one under fifty cares! They barely remember the Cold War! It doesn't mean they like Putin. It means they simply don't have the visceral reaction that old people do to "evil Russia" and "godless communism."

Putin isn't part of the past, R9. He's a current adversary who's trying to game the 2024 election toward Trump, like he did in 2016. Nor is any of this about "godless communism." Russia is religious. Very religious.

But make no mistake. Russia is evil.

[quote]R18: My God, you people go on and on about Russia but don't seem to know anything about Bolsheviks or the Revolution. I bet you couldn't even stay awake during Doctor Zhivago.

Maybe 'Dr Zhivago' is where your understanding is at, but Newsflash: Russia isn't communist anymore. That ended some thirty-five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2024 5:23 PM

Liz Cheney was a Republican rep from Wyoming. She is now a pariah there. Undeserved, but it's...Wyoming.

Kinzinger was from a deep-red Illinois district. Neither of them could elected today in their home states. Hilary had to move from Arkansas to DC to NY to get elected.

Both of them are brave and more importantly, right. In a lot of places in the United States, that makes you unelectable.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2024 5:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2024 5:28 PM

Liz is now supportive of marriage equality.

She also is on the right side when it comes to issues like Russia/Ukraine and her stance re: the border might be tougher than many Dems would like, it wouldn’t likely be inhumane.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2024 5:28 PM

Liz and Kinzinger are both Republicans. That alone is a complete disqualifier.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2024 5:31 PM

Good God. When did the left become war mongers?

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2024 5:32 PM

R24 Please, re-write this post... compare and contrast, more specific details and cite your sources. Post due by tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2024 5:36 PM

The Republicans have been poisoned by Trump and there’s no turning back until he dies. Even when he loses in November, they will still cling and cater to him. Only in his death will they regroup but most likely they will look for a new Trumplike leader.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote]He's a current adversary who's trying to game the 2024 election toward Trump, like he did in 2016. Nor is any of this about "godless communism." Russia is religious. Very religious. But make no mistake. Russia is evil.

They are evil because... they want an American President whose interest aligns with theirs?

They are merely acting in their self-interest, as we do, as all nations do. We gave enormous amounts of money to the Afghan mujahideen because they fought the Soviet Union, which led to its destabilization. We gave millions of dollars of aid to Saudi Arabia, who used that money to export an extremely severe form of Islam to other parts of the world. Do you know how that ended?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2024 5:45 PM

▲ R27:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2024 5:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2024 6:01 PM

Yes we are aware that communists seek the misery of the proletariat to hasten revolution R18.

We are also aware that modern day fascists seek the same societal destruction and call it accelerationism

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2024 6:40 PM

Gee r29, it’s almost as if he discovered that the organizing principle of any society is for war. The authority of the state over its people resides in its war powers.

This has been known since Helen was kidnapped.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2024 6:54 PM

It just feeds Trump's arrogance when they stand up to him just to fade away.

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2024 7:20 PM

[quote] It just feeds Trump's arrogance when they stand up to him just to fade away.

The problem is that each of these people have a Savior complex that makes them feel like they are the chosen one to save the country. Cheney sees herself as a bare-breasted Liberty leading the people. They absolutely intentionally make it about themselves and grab the spotlight and the news channel cameras.

The better method would have been to form a group with maybe a dozen well-known Republicans (not mercenary operatives like the Lincoln Project) without any one of them being the face of the group. It’s too easy for Trump and his supporters to pick off the solo Saviors.

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2024 8:21 PM

LOL permanent war? The US hasn't been out of a war since WWII. No which president was it who was the first one, in decades, not to start a new war?

by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2024 10:03 PM

Adam isn't loved in Illinois. He did nothing for the state but carved out a career by opposing Trump. God bless him for that but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2024 11:10 PM

R17 Above all I like Liz's belief and fight to maintain a democracy.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2024 4:17 AM

Adam served as eye candy. Yeah, he's brave in many ways. Fighter pilot, battled a robber, stood up to Trump, posed nude, etc.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!