Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Discovery of Witches

3 seasons ended in 2022. OK old series. Has anyone seen it?

Matthew Goode is very handsome and shows some real vampiric malice. The actress Teresa Palmer, in the main role as witch Diana Bishop, is 5x worse than any actor on the show!

Gregg Chilingirian is sexy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2024 5:49 AM

A tedious slog, humourless and plodding, going by the first series, which is all i could take. There was a junior vampire with a bit of life about him, but otherwise dismal. The vamps and witches are generic to the utmost and the third supernatural group daemons (basically fairies) were supposed to be brilliant and zany to the point of madness, but the author was completely incapable of creating such a character,, so they were the worst of all. A good cast wasted.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2024 10:21 AM

I loved it, but then I'm really interested in history and the writer Deborah Harkness is a history professor and both the books and the TV series were well informed historically speaking, so that really added to the dynamic for me. I'm so fed up with watching things like The Tudors where they just completely ignore basic historical events. I know there aren't really vampires etc (I hope) but to have something that actually paid close attention to the historical setting, especially in season 2 where they recreate Elizabethan London was phenomenally well done. Throughout history there has been a lot of interest in alchemy and it formed the basis to modern medicine and physics and having a series that really delved into that and some of the more interesting figures such as Doctor Dee and Mary Sidney really stimulated my brain, but then my brain likes that stuff. I found the main relationship between Diana and Matthew a bit sickly sweet though.

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2024 10:34 AM

I'm wholly with r1, couldn't make it beyond four or five episodes of the first season. And I was so looking forward to it as well.

But yes, there were many, many handsome guys like Gregg Chilingirian featured on the show, even in the little of it I saw. Whichever homo was on the casting team obviously has great taste.

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2024 11:00 AM

OP, you MUST be a female, right? We tried to watch this mess and gave up after the first season. It’s so lovey-dovey and Hallmark’ish, clearly designed for teenage girls and lonely heart fraus. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing. But it is nothing fun or mysterious or scary. It’s a soap opera for ladies who watch unconventional nighttime cable television.

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2024 12:41 PM

I am OP and I'm only barely making it through Season 1. It's maudlin and yes, Hallmarky, and rather camp, but probably not sufficiently so. I'm an eldergay with high/low tastes so I like trash, but I'm not sure I will continue because this isn't quite trashy enough. Though I get a kick out of how awful Teresa Palmer is. Brenda Dickson level.

Your assumptions are so pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2024 12:49 PM

I'm also appalled on behalf of Matthew Goode for being stuck in such D List material. It's a paycheck!

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2024 12:50 PM

Well exCUSE me R5/OP..... you're right, my assumptions were pedestrian. I'm always up for watching good bad-camp with a fellow 'elder' gay so, pour a cocktail, come sit by me and let's see who can throw more shades on this delightfully horrible programme.

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2024 1:05 PM

r6 Oh please, what else has Goode going on that he would refuse such a show? Bills need paying!

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2024 1:33 PM

Well you're correct, but I thought Goode was a B (C+) list movie actor. I haven't been keeping up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2024 1:44 PM

[quote]but I thought Goode was a B (C+) list movie actor

Closer to C than B, and more TV than film recently. So this show was the perfect fit for him. It wasn't that small and it had lots of buzz when it first started.

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2024 1:53 PM

I liked the book a lot but the series was a letdown. If I recall correctly, I semi-enjoyed season 1 but season 2 was a no go.

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2024 1:56 PM

He wasn’t even in the last Downton Abbey movie

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2024 2:12 PM

Matthew dresses to the right and you can see his bulge in his jeans in season 1 when he visits the witches in America.

by Anonymousreply 13February 26, 2024 2:15 PM

Another vote for how bad Teresa Palmer is. I can only imagine the bitchy remarks Goode made about her behind her back.

by Anonymousreply 14February 26, 2024 2:17 PM

Saw part of the first season. Yeah, the actress is bad, the romance reminds me of the supernatural romance Harlequin type novels my niece reads. Very Twilight inspired. Matthew Goode is okay I guess but he never expresses much emotion. Even in DA he was kind of expressionless. I much preferred the actors who played Gillingham and Blake though Goode is handsome. Is he gay, straight?

by Anonymousreply 15February 26, 2024 2:33 PM

Goode is married to an glamazon fashion stylist and has 3 kids.

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2024 2:57 PM

I stopped somewhere in the second season and the historical stuff is neat indeed, and I do genuinely like these types of semihard/semisoft magic systems, but the Twilight melodrama is just too much. I love mom Isabelle to be fair. The demons are completely pointless this far. And WHY IS THE HOT YOUNG VAMP NOT JUST GAY!? Like that’s the least they could’ve done to keep us interested. 😩

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2024 3:11 PM

*thus far

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2024 3:12 PM

Tom Hughes as Christopher Marlowe is beautiful. But who is the "hot young vamp"?

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2024 3:17 PM

R19, I meant Edward Bluemel as Marcus. Fair enough that he doesn’t photograph well IRL, but I remember him being cute and charming as fuck on the show. And fair enough, I had forgotten about the messy Kit storyline, which I remember somewhat enjoying. If he’s still in the narrative after France, maybe I should pick it back up…

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2024 3:30 PM

Been sort of watching this since AMC is running a marathon. I never read the books, but are Matthew and Diana as insufferable in them as they are on the show? Or maybe they can’t interpret the material? Palmer especially is horrible. And the daemons? Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2024 7:56 PM

I saw it - it was meh.

Teresa Palmer reminded me of a knock-off Maggie Lawson from Psych who in turn was a knock off Alicia Silverstone.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2024 7:59 PM

I liked the first season but not enough to return to it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2024 8:20 PM

I have no intention of watching this show, but please put me down for one Gregg Chilingirian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2024 9:02 PM

I lusted after Gregg on DL when the show was originally airing, but got no response. Always tragically ahead of time...

r20 I also find Bluemel cute – he was in Sex Education as well – and have had this screenshot of his meaty thighs on my computer since 2019, I just can't bring myself to delete it. He's the lead in Prime's new My Lady Jane show (out June 27th) so you can see a lot more of him there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2024 5:46 AM

[quote]Gregg Chilingirian

Had no idea he dropped his stage name. I first saw him in the original UK version of "Being Human" where he went by Gregg Chillin.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2024 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!