Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Utility closet going for $1200 a month in Manhattan

I agree with the comments, why not just commit a crime now, at least you’ll get a toilet in your room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2024 10:24 PM

It's better than that Japanese apartment with the detaching glass walls. You can meet your neighbors standing in line for the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2024 11:36 AM

The Carrie Bradshaw experience is priceless !

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2024 11:50 AM

But New York City is the center of the entire world.

Who wouldn't give their left nut to live there?

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2024 11:52 AM

Is this guy perhaps in Soviet Russia?

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2024 12:23 PM

[quote] Utility closet going for $1200 a month in Manhattan

The "illegal migrants" get their nice big government subsidized room at the Ritz for free so it doesn't sting that much. Then there is the free laundry , free food, free healthcare, free school, free phone, free transport, and the monthly reloaded debit cards cash. Maybe the people who balk at the $1200 closet should just work harder so they can afford what I a poor refugee can live on.

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2024 12:40 PM

That looks like a space someone case use as an art studio not a place to live.

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2024 12:48 PM

NY is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2024 12:50 PM

You realize that other apartments are available? It seems ridiculous but think of the convenience and no car expense.

That's the perfect apt for someone in a relationship/divorce who needs their own place a few days a month or who travels constantly, or lives in CT and works 16 hrs a day, or needs a writing space. I'd rather live there than in at least 100 different shitty places I've visited on business.

"No one can afford to live in NY yet somehow 8 million people do"- Fran Lebowitz

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2024 1:00 PM

In fact, one out of every 28 people in the country lives in NYC, more than the population of 8 shitty flyover states put together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2024 1:05 PM

There’s not even a fucking sink? You have to go to the shared bathroom where all your floor mates shit in order to get a drink of water?

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2024 1:17 PM

You’re not wrong, r3. I’d rather live in a closet in Manhattan than a four bedroom house in Pittsburgh.

A lot of people agree with me. Hence the rents. Catching on yet?

You live in flyover. Get over it, Defacto.

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2024 1:24 PM

R11 isn't nearly as smart as she seems to think she is.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2024 1:48 PM

I wanted the cute guy to disrobe and take a shower for us. We're all curious to know the water pressure, as well as how hot the water gets...not to mention if he's packing or not. (I think he is).

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2024 3:13 PM

A shared bathroom with your neighbors? FUCK NO.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2024 3:31 PM

That's not an apartment that's a storage unit.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2024 3:32 PM

No one ever accused New Yorkers of being bright.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote]I’d rather live in a closet in Manhattan than a four bedroom house in Pittsburgh.

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2024 4:07 PM

It’s an old SRO. There used to be dozens in NYC. Like a dorm room with shared bathrooms and usually communal kitchens, dining and lounge areas.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2024 4:42 PM

You just don't understand the enormous amount of pressure realtors are under to get to billionaire status! You. Don't.Get. It.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2024 4:51 PM

R6 Only if they paint miniatures.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2024 4:51 PM

r12 This r11 is too dumb to realize you can NetJets in and out of New York faster than a car commute and live out in the boonies in a 10 or 20 thousand square foot house for a fraction of what that space costs on Manhattan. There are no shortage of people who have realized this.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2024 5:01 PM

How much would a 20,000 sq ft house or apt cost in Manhattan, considering THIS is a 20,000 ft house?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2024 5:16 PM

Well, 123 e 35th has been reduced to $24,750,000 on 11,638 sq ft. It was originally listed for, I think, $35M. Carlos Slim was flogging his 20k place for $80M.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2024 5:21 PM

R11 isn’t so truly desperate he has to WW his own post five times using his vpn, super pathetic Defacto at r12 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2024 5:24 PM

Defacto at r21, don’t you have paint to watch dry? You’re talking to a New Yorker who lives in an affluent suburb. But for decades I lived in Manhattan and the higher rents are totally worth it.

Also love the sheer stupidity of complaining about New York rents, only to claim commuting in on a private jet is the solution! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2024 5:29 PM

Here's a funny commuting story: A guy was selling individual seats, daily roundtrips on 2 of his private jets from a neighborhood airport into town. 3 roundtrips per plane M-F. He was booking 100% daily, the same people commuting to their jobs this way. It lasted a number of years until the FAA shut him down for running an unlicensed airline. I don't think he even got a fine.

by Anonymousreply 26February 24, 2024 5:34 PM

r25 You don't know many rich people, do you?

by Anonymousreply 27February 24, 2024 5:37 PM

Defacto at r27 is still clueless. Rich people are not the ones complaining about high NYC rents, pullet-snouted moron. Choose an argument and stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 28February 24, 2024 5:40 PM

Above poster is right - there have always been places like this with shared toilets in the hallway - particularly in the East Village. Although some asshole landlord divided up this room into two. This is a manufactured small apartment - they did not exist before in this size.

Also, places with shared bathroom toilets always had sinks and kitchen facilities in their apartments.

This is gouging - but the set up is not heard of. Although I had a renovated small apt in Paris with its own bathroom, other apartments in my building shared an unheated toilet in the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 29February 24, 2024 5:41 PM

r28 - It has nothing to do about the price, it's all about style of living. I see I've really rattled some old upper middle-class queen.

by Anonymousreply 30February 24, 2024 5:51 PM

That apartment will be rented out to a Japanese student (or intern), no doubt. They enjoy very small spaces, and make it work (think of the Pod Hotels opening everywhere , especially designed for Japanese tourists). There's a market for these.

by Anonymousreply 31February 24, 2024 5:55 PM

Tiny

by Anonymousreply 32February 24, 2024 5:55 PM

This thread is literally about price — and it’s your thread Defacto so you should, well, know that.

What the thread has become is a highly amusing display of what happens when a little gremlin of a rightwing gay in a grubby little flyover city gets schooled on the life in ny he’s trying to run down (as usual), then tries to pretend to be an affluent New Yorker in a rather tragic attempt to change the subject.

by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2024 5:59 PM

It’s a studio for an artist if the light is good. Or a work space for a massage therapist. Or something else work related. That’s about it.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2024 6:01 PM

The main issue is the lack of water and a SINGLE toilet. If you want to have a dorm-like housing, fine. But there better be more than 1 toilet for multiple apartments.

I presume they have keys to the toilets on the other floors? I would hope to god that they do.

Also - imagine if everyone was trying to get ready for work between 7 and 8 am. And - no offense - but women just take longer in the bathroom than men in getting ready.

The waiting would drive me insane.

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2024 6:01 PM

r33 - I'm not defacto, you old fucking idiot. And I used to live in Mayfair London. NYC is just trashy in comparison, and has been for fifty years, at least.

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2024 6:04 PM

[quote] a little gremlin of a rightwing gay in a grubby little flyover city

Because NYC isn't grubby at all.

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2024 6:07 PM

I don't live in or anywhere near NYC so it's amusing to me that people are seriously talking about this tiny space as a possible artist's studio or a place where a massage therapist could do business.

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2024 6:10 PM

See this person?

Autism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 24, 2024 6:27 PM

This is the type of housing people used to be able to afford with SSI income to avoid being homeless. My city sold all of the downtown SROs to big hotel chains and turned the residents out onto the streets.

by Anonymousreply 40February 24, 2024 6:54 PM

What does SRO stand for, other than Standing Room Only?

by Anonymousreply 41February 25, 2024 4:20 PM

[quote] That apartment will be rented out to a Japanese student (or intern), no doubt. They enjoy very small spaces, and make it work (think of the Pod Hotels opening everywhere , especially designed for Japanese tourists). There's a market for these.

I don't know if people in Japan *enjoy* very small spaces. It's just a fact of life with expensive real estate (e.g., Tokyo).

Also, cities in Japan tend to be safer than U.S. cities. I'm not sure a person from Japan would be attracted to a place like the one at OP.

Check out this movie, Sunshine Hotel, about an NYC flop house.

I admit that the bathroom (at OP) did look clean and so did the room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 25, 2024 4:26 PM

If you are an early 20 something who wants an affordable apartment in Manhattan you would be okay with this. Having a shared bathroom in the hall is what a lot of college dorms are like.

Everyone knows you could get more for your money in Kansas, but people are willing to make sacrifices to live in NY.

by Anonymousreply 43February 25, 2024 4:31 PM

People should not live like rats in a burrow, whether they choose to or not, COVID and other diseases spread like wildfire when people pack in like that.

by Anonymousreply 44February 25, 2024 4:51 PM

Only idiots live in NY.

by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2024 10:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!