Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diane (2018) - Starring Mary Kay Place, Jake Lacy, and Andrea Martin. DL Catnip!

Place stars in this somber little indie as Diane, a middle-aged-or-retired type who spends her days working at a soup kitchen and looking after her various dying friends and relatives. She spoons out a lot of casseroles. She washes dishes. She cleans up after her cancer-riddled friends and her meth-addict son. She sighs a lot. It's like "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," but starring menopause.

Did Mary Kay Place deserve a bigger career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2024 3:11 AM

Her son was an ungrateful ass

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2024 8:15 PM

Mary Kay Place was excellent in Big Love

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2024 8:16 PM

Mary Kay Place should have won the Oscar for Best Actress for this.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2024 8:17 PM

Movie looks interesting, OP. I'll check it out. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2024 8:18 PM

[quote] Her son was an ungrateful ass

Aren’t they all?

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2024 8:19 PM

I loved this movie! I wished they spent more time on the affair she had with her best friend's boyfriend in the 70s as part of the plot. I loved the scene with her and Andrea Martin are at the homestyle buffet and Andrea yells at the kid taking all the chicken! Some innovative gay producer should make a movie along the same plot line with an eldergay ensemble cast that takes place in Wilton Manors or Palm Springs !

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2024 8:20 PM

This woman's YouTube channel reminds of this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2024 8:23 PM

Oh wow, OP, I wanted to see this movie when it first came out but never got around to it. Thanks for the reminder! It looks like it is available on Tubi.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2024 8:44 PM

Yeah, good old Mary Kay deserved an Oscar nom for this.

Is she one of those hiding-in-plain-sight lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2024 9:37 PM

There was Oscar buzz for MKP but it didn't result in a nomination. The film is hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2024 9:41 PM

Love you OP! I can't remember another 'little' movie that has MOVED me so much. MKP is brilliant. The final scene where thoughts are crowding in on her like angry children vying for attention...knocking her down

Did I do okay? Did I fuck it up? Should I have run away with my lover? Did I leave the kettle on? Chop this wood...

by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2024 10:05 PM

Stunning performance by MKP ... depressing as hell.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2024 10:21 PM

Mary Kay Place deserved a much better, bigger career but I wonder if she wanted that. I like to think she made all the right choices for herself and is happy.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2024 4:53 AM

May Kay was the winner of the Best Actress award by both The Los Angeles Film Critics Association and The National Society of Film Critics for her performance in Diane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2024 5:03 AM

Bootlegged this film off the internet after reading about it here, as I just couldn't find it. Excellent film. I'll watch anything with MKP. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15March 4, 2024 2:34 AM

[quote]There was Oscar buzz for MKP but it didn't result in a nomination. The film is hard to find.

It is on Tubi, a free streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 16March 4, 2024 3:12 PM

Sounds like my day to day.

by Anonymousreply 17March 4, 2024 3:48 PM

R16 Not to be confused with TUBBY, the official streaming service of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 18March 4, 2024 4:34 PM

Tubby the Tuba

by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2024 7:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 4, 2024 7:45 PM

Here she is in her first credited role, singing about Communism to Archie Bunker.

Yes, I know the link's grammar is utterly fucked. I didn't write it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2024 3:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!