Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Max von Sydow

He was born to academics, where he was taught Swedish, Danish, English, Italian and French by his parents.

At a young age he caught the eye of Ingmar Bergman, who cast him as a chess playing knight in The Seventh Seal. His career was never the same, appearing in an extraordinary diverse body of work:

Wild Strawberries, The Magician, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Hour of the Wolf, Shame, The Touch, The Kremlin Letter, The Exorcist, Steppenwolf, Three Days of the Condor, Voyage of the Damned, Flash Gordon, Conan the Barbarian, Flight of the Eagle, Never Say Never Again, Dune, Hannah and Her Sisters, Duet for One, Katinka, The Ox, Judge Dredd, Snow Falling on Cedars, Minority Report, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Shutter Island, and Echoes of the Part.

Let's talk about the incredible actor Max von Sydow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2024 6:49 PM

I've never known: why exactly did he and Ingmar Bergman--after making so many films together--come to a parting of the ways?

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2024 1:23 AM

R1 I think Sydow was doing more American films and the scheduling didn't work out

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2024 1:50 AM

BFI tribute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2024 1:50 AM

He is great in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2024 1:36 PM

I was lucky enough to see his film debut "Bara en mor" (1949) on Youtube with subtitles. It's no longer there.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2024 4:02 PM

He was a sexy Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2024 4:29 PM

A truly great actor. I don't recall ever seeing him give a bad performance. If you've never seen THE EMIGRANTS and THE NEW LAND, do so ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2024 4:52 PM

He considered his role in Hannah and Her Sisters as a "self parody"

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2024 5:04 PM

KNEEL BEFORE MING!

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2024 5:26 PM

He never took himself too seriously

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2024 7:10 PM

Long face + Scandi genes = hung

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2024 7:24 PM

A crime that he never won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2024 8:36 PM

R12 I agree!

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2024 3:14 AM

I didn’t see this months ago….might as well bump it. One of my first crushes. Incredible actor and a gorgeous man, I never really see his looks talked about. He aged well too. I’ve never managed to find any sort of gossip about his personal life, good or bad.

I think he and Bergman “split” because Liv Ullmann became his main player, the roles he would have played were mostly second fiddle to hers - see the male part in Face to Face, for example. I don’t think he would have worked in Scenes from a Marriage, which is the only 70s Bergman film I can think of with a substantial male role for that age range. I did read he very much wanted to do the role he was offered in Fanny and Alexander (I believe the bishop) but his agent fucked up by asking Bergman’s producers for too much money without consulting him. The agent got fired.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2024 2:42 AM

Also I (briefly) met him when I was in my late teens at an art gallery. He was extremely tall, and very handsome for his age (late sixties). Low key as a person and seemed intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2024 2:50 AM

He WAS Max von Sydow!

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2024 2:50 AM

He's one of the best character actors

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2024 3:02 AM

[quote] He's one of the best character actors

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2024 3:49 AM

He made The Exorcist a great film.

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2024 3:57 AM

I really liked him as an actor.

He was an atheist until Bergman contacted him after death. It’s towards the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2024 6:02 AM

I saw this interesting thriller last night. Features some nice scenes of him getting acrobatic in his boxers trying to escape prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2024 4:21 PM

I like Max von Sydow too.

I spent a whole summer almost a decade ago watching nearly all of Ingmar Bergman’s films including those with Max in them. He was a superb actor with such a great face.

Shame on his agent at the time for costing him the role he would have played in “Fanny and Alexander” (1982)! That was a missed opportunity. “Fanny and Alexander” is still one of my favorite films that Bergman made though. It’s just too bad Max didn’t get to take part and reunite with Ingmar for it.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2024 4:34 PM

R22 Besides Fanny and Alexander, which are your favorites?

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2024 6:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!