Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beyoncé Fan’s Radio Request Reignites Country Music Debate

A fan asked his Oklahoma radio station to play a new Beyoncé song. The request was rejected, spurring hundreds of calls and emails about the exclusion of Black musicians from the genre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 16, 2024 5:42 PM

I just can't take her seriously with that wig or that face.

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2024 3:28 PM

No paywall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2024 3:28 PM

No paywall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2024 3:29 PM

[quote]I just can't take her seriously with that wig or that face.

Cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2024 3:29 PM

Imagine the DJ’s reaction if you called into an R&B station and asked to hear Martina McBride. This is some race-baiting bullshit. That shitty song that every Yaasss Kween, flitty fag has fallen inline with so quickly is shit and she says “bitch” every other word. It’s not a radio hit.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2024 3:31 PM

She’s getting into Michael Jackson territory.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2024 3:32 PM

Country radio only plays the same 10 or so artists. Why would they play Beyonce is who is mor even a country singer when they reject tons and tons of good artists that are country?

I hope they tell the beehive to get fucked. Behaving like bullies will get them nowhere!

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2024 3:32 PM

Oh please. Neither Justin Timberlake or Miley Cyrus were accepted by country radio during their country eras. I'm sure Kylie didn't expect to be played on country radio during that Golden album too.

She's a popstar and thats why they're not really interested in her. She'll be on to some other gimmick for her next album.

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2024 3:34 PM

Country radio doesn't play white, female country artists' music. Why would they start playing Beyonce?

by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2024 3:34 PM

I love how she released it on the same day taylor was getting all the headlines for being at the superbowl. Miss Swift overshadowed her still

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2024 3:34 PM

That’s just ignorant. Why would you deny a listeners request. Is this the 1950s? Shit so fucking stupid. Was the reason that they don’t play “race” music like they used to say back then.

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2024 3:34 PM

R10 Queen Bey does it for the art.

by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2024 3:35 PM

A request for the R&B stations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2024 3:36 PM

If Sally Smith called HOT 97 and ask to play that song, during when the way take listeners request, they would. I used to intern at the radio. Some many white Americans are still so prejudiced.

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2024 3:37 PM

To r13

by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2024 3:37 PM

R13 presents a good challenge. Would a single black station play that song?

by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2024 3:39 PM

R14 needs a proofreader

by Anonymousreply 17February 15, 2024 3:40 PM

It's going to be really funny if this country kick crashes and burns for her.

by Anonymousreply 18February 15, 2024 3:41 PM

How about some Latina representation? They have a bigger population.

by Anonymousreply 19February 15, 2024 3:44 PM

R16 And I’m telling yes they would if a listener called in to request. I grew up with black radio. wtf don’t yall understand.

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2024 3:51 PM

R20 you’re a fucking liar. They would not and will not play that. I dare you, I challenge you to get that song played on a black radio station.

by Anonymousreply 21February 15, 2024 3:57 PM

She's entering "Chris Gaines" territory. She looks ridiculous. She should talk to Garth Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 22February 15, 2024 4:03 PM

Boss Hogg lewk

by Anonymousreply 23February 15, 2024 4:31 PM

R21 You dumb fuck. Black radio does not discriminate. When they take listener requests they will play it. You are assuming. I know what the fuck I have heard over the years with my very own years. Fuck you think you talking 2. They would play fkin Garth Brooks if a listener called in to request. You dumb fuck. You don’t know shit about radio. They don’t take audience requests all day long. Don’t ever try to tell me bout some shit you know nothing about again. Don’t respond because I am right and you are wrong and that’s on my mama, hoe.

by Anonymousreply 24February 15, 2024 4:37 PM

One time my friend in fact called Hot 97 to play a Johnny Cash song and they fucking played it. Fuck you think you playing with bitch. I will destroy you on here with facts.

by Anonymousreply 25February 15, 2024 4:38 PM

Brick is obviously a highly educated scholar from the Ivy League. No doubt that he’s summers in Nantucket, dining at all the most fabulous and the belle of society, as everyone races to his side to gather his opinions on the fashions and gossip of the season.

by Anonymousreply 26February 15, 2024 4:40 PM

I found video of BrickPollitt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 15, 2024 4:42 PM

Hot 97 Contest/Request Line (800) 223-9797

Let’s see if you can get them to play R13

by Anonymousreply 28February 15, 2024 4:48 PM

One song has shit and bitch in it. That’s not very country. Beyond seems tetarded.

by Anonymousreply 29February 15, 2024 4:58 PM

Tetarded..a little retarded.

by Anonymousreply 30February 15, 2024 4:59 PM

Hootie, né, Darius Rucker has/had a very successful country music career, but he was already a proven, record-selling entity.

People knew he was a talented musician, first and foremost.

This slag thinks that her name will open those very narrow, niche doors, but, alas, they won’t.

Doesn’t she and that ugly husband have enough money already? Her people think she can pull a reverse Swift and have a career in country music, where Swift started.

by Anonymousreply 31February 15, 2024 5:23 PM

So groundbreaking…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 15, 2024 5:55 PM

The first…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 15, 2024 5:55 PM

She’s opening doors…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 15, 2024 5:56 PM

Yeeehaw!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 15, 2024 5:57 PM

Trailblazer….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 15, 2024 5:58 PM

Good God. More bullying tactics. The genre of the song doesn’t matter. Most country music listeners don’t want to hear Beyoncé sing anything at all. She hitched her wagon to Black Power “wokeness” in a big way. It’s too late to turn back and sell music to country fans now. It ain’t right, but that’s reality.

by Anonymousreply 37February 15, 2024 6:02 PM

Bey & JZ can fuck off. When Faith Hill wins a BET Award or even performs on that awards show then we’ll talk.

Other than Eminem name successful white rappers. Blqs try to take over everything and dominate it. Go to most post offices and it’s all blq Womyn, because once they take power anywhere they push out crackers. Country should hold strong against this takeover.

by Anonymousreply 38February 15, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote] You dumb fuck. Black radio does not discriminate. When they take listener requests they will play it. You are assuming. I know what the fuck I have heard over the years with my very own years. Fuck you think you talking 2. They would play fkin Garth Brooks if a listener called in to request. You dumb fuck. You don’t know shit about radio. They don’t take audience requests all day long. Don’t ever try to tell me bout some shit you know nothing about again. Don’t respond because I am right and you are wrong and that’s on my mama, hoe.

Look, you white, cosplaying, mentally ill asshole, you don't know what you're talking about, and you betray your age and race every time you post. No radio station in a major market, nor one that is run by a syndicate, is going to play a listener request if the song isn't already added to their playlist by the program director. This isn't 1947. It's just not done. PDs are very strict about what gets played. It's not a free-for-all. The DJ has zero control over what he or she plays.

You're such a fucking moron, it hurts to see so much stupid in one person. Go take your bi-polar meds and fuck off out of here, you fraud.

by Anonymousreply 39February 15, 2024 6:09 PM

She’s been played enough over the past 20 yrs. She’s got more Grammy Awards than any other artist in history. She doesn’t need more, more, more. She’s a glory hog. So is her old man. Just give it a rest!!

by Anonymousreply 40February 15, 2024 6:11 PM

And anyone who doesn't understand that that whole maneuver was a PR scam ought to go buy a bridge in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 41February 15, 2024 6:11 PM

This fatass bleached cunt knew she was going to start some huge drama about country airplay that was part of the marketing plan.

by Anonymousreply 42February 15, 2024 6:13 PM

But that's the point, R37. When her mediocre, b-side songs don't get play, she can make it into a "cause".

by Anonymousreply 43February 15, 2024 6:13 PM

I will always love you.

But I will never expect me to love me when you don’t love yourself.

Let’s heal the world. One beautiful action at a time.

by Anonymousreply 44February 15, 2024 6:55 PM

Over at Lipstickalley, they claim black people are the originators of country music. I'm sure they contributed to the music but "inventing" it? But, I'm not up on country music history.

by Anonymousreply 45February 15, 2024 6:55 PM

Didn't you know, R45, blacks invented EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 46February 15, 2024 6:57 PM

[quote] Let’s heal the world. One beautiful action at a time.

Let's start with healing Datalounge- by banning your sorry ass for life.

by Anonymousreply 47February 15, 2024 6:59 PM

Blqs are fucking delusional and entitled. This all won’t end well.

by Anonymousreply 48February 15, 2024 7:21 PM

r14 Teafake has done everything. "I used to intern at ..." "I used to work at ..." "I know a lady who..." "I earn 100k+ doing..."

Your delusion is funny.

by Anonymousreply 49February 15, 2024 7:25 PM

What's a radio station?

by Anonymousreply 50February 15, 2024 7:25 PM

R5 If Martina McBride made an R&B song, they’d play it.

Why are we pretending white artists non-R&B don’t get played on R&B radio?

Adele, Justin Bieber, Madonna, Mark Ronson all got hits on the R&B charts.

But when it’s a black artist who wants to crossover, it suddenly becomes a problem

by Anonymousreply 51February 15, 2024 7:28 PM

Wasn't Beyonce one of the ones whining about cultural appropriation? Now she has blonde hair?

by Anonymousreply 52February 15, 2024 7:29 PM

My cousin La’taniqua… well her Auntie Miss Evie used to work at blackest radio station on earth as the janitor and she heard from the receptionist Kar’Madisha that she heard they played a Shania Twain song once…

by Anonymousreply 53February 15, 2024 7:30 PM

R48 How DARE a black pop artist do a country album. How dare she.

by Anonymousreply 54February 15, 2024 7:31 PM

“Rolling in the Deep” reached #61 on the Hip-Hop / R&B charts.

Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance” reached #71. “Poker Face” was #75.

Ben Shapiro has a Top 10 on the Hip-Hop / R&B charts and he said hip-hop wasn’t even real music.

But a black artist can only be on the rap or R&B charts.

It’s racist. Plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2024 7:31 PM

R51 that’s 100% not true. R&B segregates itself hard and it may except the random Justin Timberlake song but they ain’t playing R13

Mainstream has always discriminated against country artists.

by Anonymousreply 56February 15, 2024 7:32 PM

R52 Beyonce has had blonde hair since the 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 57February 15, 2024 7:32 PM

R51 Right, and to all these racist cunts I GOT TIME TODAY. I no longer ebeef but I will ALWAYS call out racism.

by Anonymousreply 58February 15, 2024 7:33 PM

Charley Frank Pride (March 18, 1934 – December 12, 2020) was an American singer, guitarist, and professional baseball player. His greatest musical success came in the early to mid-1970s, when he was the best-selling performer for RCA Records. During the peak years of his recording career (1966–1987), he had 52 top-10 hits on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, 30 of which made it to number one. He won the Entertainer of the Year award at the Country Music Association Awards in 1971 and was awarded a Grammy for "Best Country Vocal Performance, Male" in 1972.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 15, 2024 7:33 PM

R56 How is it not true when I just posted non-black / non-R&B / hip-hop songs charting on the R&B / Hip-Hop charts?

Why does Lady Gaga have R&B chart entries?

by Anonymousreply 60February 15, 2024 7:33 PM

I loved that "Playing chicken with a train" song by Cowboy Troy. Big hit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 15, 2024 7:34 PM

The Queen is the most versatile greatest recording artist of all time. Check her very first video ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 15, 2024 7:34 PM

r57 and?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 15, 2024 7:34 PM

Darius Rucker has had 7 number ones on the country charts. You all are delusional and stupid.

And let’s not lie even if Beyoncé had the biggest number one singles and album in all of country music history, swept the CMA awards, and the ACM awards, and everyone started to profess that she was the best country artist of the century or all time, it still wouldn’t be enough you all would still find something to bitch about.

by Anonymousreply 64February 15, 2024 7:36 PM

Katy Perry’s “ET” - #83 on the R&B charts.

“Last Friday Night” bubbled under the R&B charts at 10. This song doesn’t even have a rapper or is anything close to hip-hop or R&B.

White artists can go whenever they please. It’s never the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 65February 15, 2024 7:37 PM

This bitch hasn’t even dropped the album and you all already think she should win all the awards

by Anonymousreply 66February 15, 2024 7:37 PM

Azealia already told Beyonce she was setting herself up for failure with this stunt.

by Anonymousreply 67February 15, 2024 7:37 PM

R64 Country fans like Darius the same way they like Candace Owens lmao.

by Anonymousreply 68February 15, 2024 7:37 PM

Lmao at the “Adele reached #99 for one week in 2010 on the R&B charts” argument

by Anonymousreply 69February 15, 2024 7:38 PM

r68 Agreed, but no one types "lmao" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 70February 15, 2024 7:39 PM

Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse” reached #12 on R&B / Hip-Hop Airplay.

But I guess Katy Perry is R&B / hip-hop.

by Anonymousreply 71February 15, 2024 7:39 PM

There is no honest debate with you all, and I do mean YOU ALL. You just move the goalpost constantly. aggressive mental abuse seems to be a cultural thing with ALL OF YOU..

by Anonymousreply 72February 15, 2024 7:40 PM

R69 Yeah and that will be more than Beyonce would get on the country charts with a country song.

by Anonymousreply 73February 15, 2024 7:40 PM

R70 I’m not R68 but I am R69

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 74February 15, 2024 7:40 PM

R73 well you already don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about because she’s already occupying about four or five of the top spots on the top country songs on the iTunes Store

by Anonymousreply 75February 15, 2024 7:41 PM

R75 GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 76February 15, 2024 7:42 PM

Nelly at Number 1 on dem country charts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 15, 2024 7:42 PM

Country crossover songs, like Faith Hill’s Breathe are more palatable to a general audience, then some smut songs you all have talking about pussies dripping with creamy cum and booties smacking.

by Anonymousreply 78February 15, 2024 7:43 PM

R76 oh, the exaggerated faux confidence to overcome that deep insecurity that you’ll never be able to get rid of, and we all know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 79February 15, 2024 7:45 PM

R65 so you are mixing up how the data is formulated. I went to NYU for communication and interned places, I know how these things work. Black radio has two formats—urban contemporary mainstream and rhythmic contemporary . In most of the major cities the rhythmic contemporary is heavily r&b hip hop ie one of the two black radio stations. Most major cities have 2, cities with huge black populations like in the northeast have more than 2. That Katy Perry song won’t chart high on r&b/hi hop billboard chart because not all of those rhythmic stations are factored in because they’re considered pop stations even though they may black radio hosts and most listeners consider it one of the black stations. Also the r&b hip component is factoring in many of the urban contemporary mainstream that will still play r&b, ls where Wendy’s radio show was on. A station like that the ET song will get less play on those formats because they’re also playing like Ledisi, Jasmine Sullivan, music soul artists who don’t get any play on the rhythmic contemporary. But many white artists like JT and Gwen Stefani have had high peak positions on the r&b hip hop component chart.

by Anonymousreply 80February 15, 2024 7:59 PM

r49 Oh, add to Teafake's list "I went to NYU for communication and interned places."

What hasn't she done? All the experiences that give her all the most knowledgeable take on all of life.

by Anonymousreply 81February 15, 2024 8:08 PM

THEY are always telling fun lies. “My momma’s 2nd cousin is Beyonce’s grandma!”

by Anonymousreply 82February 15, 2024 8:19 PM

R81 I have always claimed the same background. I went NYU and also military. Get off me hoe. I need to stop before someone discovers my identity.

by Anonymousreply 83February 15, 2024 8:25 PM

I’m the real Teacake!

by Anonymousreply 84February 15, 2024 8:26 PM

R77 If I’m not mistaken at the time of its release that song broke records for most weeks at number one on the top 40 mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 85February 15, 2024 8:26 PM

I went to Harvard and Yale and wuz da CEO of Amazon!

by Anonymousreply 86February 15, 2024 8:27 PM

R86 who hurt you? Do you want me to get them for you.

by Anonymousreply 87February 15, 2024 8:28 PM

"It's going to be really funny if this country kick crashes and burns for her."

It won't be allowed to fail. Grammys take note.

This will be the greatest album of country music ever recorded. Publications like the Guardian will insist it is.

by Anonymousreply 88February 15, 2024 8:40 PM

[quote] Cultural appropriation

When did BEYONCÉ complain about this, R4?

Dumb reactionary bitch.

by Anonymousreply 89February 15, 2024 8:44 PM

R89 blacks in general and this bitch is divisive.

by Anonymousreply 90February 15, 2024 8:46 PM

R80 Great read and very insightful but it doesn’t negate that white acts can chart on R&B / hip-hop charts without being of the genre.

And yes they have chart positions for Rhythmic which I didn’t post.

R&B, the term itself, was coined to segregate black rock and roll from white rock and roll. Black music has always been segregated.

Pop radio refused to play hip-hop for years. They would cut raps out of the songs if there was a featured rap on a popular song.

by Anonymousreply 91February 15, 2024 9:15 PM

They didn’t reject the request because she’s black. They rejected it because it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 92February 15, 2024 9:20 PM

R91 haha I know it’s annoying. When I hear TLC’s waterfalls I want to hear Lisa Lefteye Lopes’ rap. I notice increasingly they do play it even the adult pop stations. What’s weird here in San Diego the closest to the black station often doesn’t play Luda’s verse in Yeah but the adult pop stations do lol.

by Anonymousreply 93February 15, 2024 9:22 PM

At what point does she become too old for radio? Isn’t she pushing 50?

by Anonymousreply 94February 15, 2024 9:25 PM

the fucking entitlement of the Beyhive.. I hope they learn that crying racism doesn't always get them what they want. Bitch isn't a country artist so WHY should they play her? make it make sense.

by Anonymousreply 95February 15, 2024 9:34 PM

[quote] [R13] presents a good challenge. Would a single black station play that song?

"If I Were A Boy" was a country song. Many urban radio stations declined to play it in favor of its b-side "Single Ladies." She's from TX and I think she has a sincere appreciation of country. I don't want to hear her singing it though.

by Anonymousreply 96February 15, 2024 9:49 PM

You dumb fucks. That radio station was hosting the segment where listeners call in. Why the fuck would they disrespect someone and refuse to play a song that isn’t racist or homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 97February 15, 2024 10:22 PM

r97 You're arguing with the same 2 people back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 98February 15, 2024 10:24 PM

If I were a boy, Beyonces version is not a country song. It’s a pop song with folk, r&b, and soft rock influences. No urban radio stations refused to play the song. It got decent airplay as the lead mainstream single, but the popularity of Single Ladies quickly surpassed it. Urban radio were equally play both songs upon their release. They even started playing the official remix featuring R. Kelly. I remember everything.

by Anonymousreply 99February 15, 2024 10:26 PM

Her voice really was so bad on "If I were a boy." Ugh - mismatch.

by Anonymousreply 100February 15, 2024 10:32 PM

R100 yeah R13 better

by Anonymousreply 101February 15, 2024 10:49 PM

Did Beyoncé give up the payola? If not, no air play.

by Anonymousreply 102February 15, 2024 11:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 15, 2024 11:39 PM

Mrs. Snaggleface is such a corrupt mess.

by Anonymousreply 104February 15, 2024 11:40 PM

r103 Justin Bieber did that same trick a few years ago!

by Anonymousreply 105February 15, 2024 11:42 PM

R103, nobdoy uses itunes anymore. It's not 2012.

by Anonymousreply 106February 15, 2024 11:56 PM

[quote] If Martina McBride made an R&B song, they’d play it. Why are we pretending white artists non-R&B don’t get played on R&B radio?Adele, Justin Bieber, Madonna, Mark Ronson all got hits on the R&B charts. But when it’s a black artist who wants to crossover, it suddenly becomes a problem

Really? What white country artists have been played on the R&B charts? Because the examples you used are all pop acts. And one look at ANY pop chart will tell you that Black artists have been a major part of those charts for more than 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 107February 16, 2024 12:18 AM

[quote] What white country artists have been played on the R&B charts?

Don't know where or if it hit the R&B charts, but it got airplay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 16, 2024 12:22 AM

It’s never enough. They have been nominated for and won a disproportionate amount of Grammys in the major categories according to their population percentages and they always find a way to spin the numbers and play victims. We’ve been bowing down and it’s getting old, fast…

What about Latinx and Asian representation?

by Anonymousreply 109February 16, 2024 12:24 AM

[quote] Don't know where or if it hit the R&B charts, but it got airplay

Kelly Clarkson is not a country artist. Do you read?

by Anonymousreply 110February 16, 2024 12:30 AM

[quote] “Old Town Road,” which features [bold] Billy Ray Cyrus [/bold] and is spending its 19th week at No. 1, surpasses the record set by Drake’s “One Dance” on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 16, 2024 12:42 AM

[quote] “Old Town Road,” which features Billy Ray Cyrus and is spending its 19th week at No. 1, surpasses the record set by Drake’s “One Dance” on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart.

[quote] —Is this better, asshole?

Nope, because that is a Lil Nas X song that sampled Billy Ray Cyrus' song and brought him on as a featured artist. It is NOT a Billy Ray Cyrus song. It's a song done primarily by a black artist.

You fucking suck at this. Give up already.

by Anonymousreply 112February 16, 2024 12:44 AM

Whatever happened to Ashanti? She was better than Beyoonce and hasn't had a hit in about 20 damn years.

by Anonymousreply 113February 16, 2024 1:13 AM

Beyoncé IS Patsy Clyne!!

by Anonymousreply 114February 16, 2024 1:35 AM

And Teafake is Minnie Pearl.

Only tackier.

by Anonymousreply 115February 16, 2024 1:37 AM

R113 Jennifer Lopez stole her career after using her voice on her songs. It’s actually rumored the voice on JLos earliest hits is actually mostly Ashanti demos. Dive deep into the nets and read up on it. It’s fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 116February 16, 2024 1:47 AM

The song sucks but it doesn’t even sound country. If anything it sounds like that folk indie rock that was popular in the early 2010’s like Lumineers and Vance Joy.

by Anonymousreply 117February 16, 2024 1:51 AM

It’s crazy how Americans don’t realize how these constant race debates DEFINE them to the rest of the world. Yes other countries have race relations issues, racism, etc. that’s a given. But you guys will really pull up every floorboard, pull out every nail to reveal what race war might be underneath every fucking issue.

Your are children who deeply enjoy shitting in your pants and making other people smell it. You have zero desire to grow up and move on. It’s obvious and scary.

by Anonymousreply 118February 16, 2024 1:54 AM

Jlo did not steal Ashanti’s career. She was already poppin before Ashanti became the flash in the pan of 2002. Ashanti, a very pretty girl, is the ultimate timing is everything success story. She is very likeable and pretty but she is not that talented music wise. She is a cute songwriter. But her voice is thin and she can only sing in head voice. Compared to JLo she is patty Labelle but come on let’s be real here. Even her lyrics; it’s not like she was writing Erykah Badu caliber songs. Ashanti is definitely not more talented than Beyonce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 16, 2024 1:57 AM

R118, Go tell the Beyhive. They are the ones racializing Beyonces shitty "country" music.

by Anonymousreply 120February 16, 2024 2:00 AM

I mean Beyoncé? Really? You’re gonna dig your heels in and take up sides over a pop star. What the fuck are you actually trying to prove with this argument? What the fuck are you actually trying to say? And whatever that is, just say because this shit is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 121February 16, 2024 2:00 AM

R120 you sound like an 8 yo.

by Anonymousreply 122February 16, 2024 2:15 AM

R122, Its true. They're the ones who need to hear this message. Go to twitter and read their race meltdowns.

by Anonymousreply 123February 16, 2024 2:17 AM

R117 Funny, Pitchfork actually compared it to a Lumineers song in their middling review.

by Anonymousreply 124February 16, 2024 2:17 AM

Country music hardly even exists today. In the 80s it turned into country flavored rock and now I guess it's like Op's picture, a rapper in a plastic cowboy hat.

As for black inventing country, they get credit for the blues but country comes from English and Scottish origins. Those being the primary demographic who settled the Appalachian region and westward.into Kentucky and the Smoky Mountains.

by Anonymousreply 125February 16, 2024 2:19 AM

[quote] She was already poppin

Teafake, do you have a Ebonics-English dictionary sitting next to your cheap Tandy laptop?

by Anonymousreply 126February 16, 2024 2:32 AM

R124 It does sound like a Lumineer song.

by Anonymousreply 127February 16, 2024 2:40 AM

R126 Hi buttercup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 16, 2024 2:41 AM

[quote] It does sound like a Lumineer song.—BrickPollitt

Do it? It a whole mood? A bop?

You fake piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 129February 16, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] I need to stop before someone discovers my identity.—BrickPollitt

I wouldn't worry about that, particularly because no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2024 2:47 AM

[quote]The request was rejected, spurring hundreds of calls and emails about the exclusion of Black musicians from the genre.

I think black Americans suffer from an immense fear of missing out (FOMO).

They think that if they're not included in every storyline of a book, movie, play, etc. -- or pretty much not featured prominently in every aspect of American society -- then they're somehow being discriminated against.

They forget that they're only 13% of the U.S. population and thus do not feature in many Americans' lives.

In fact, most white Americans go through life without knowing black people personally or befriending one.

But according to current 'woke' Hollywood, everyone has multiracial relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc,

Now, that's a fantasy that is deluding many POC.

by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2024 4:28 AM

“They think that if they're not included in every storyline of a book, movie, play, etc. -- or pretty much not featured prominently in every aspect of American society -- then they're somehow being discriminated against.”

I’m am black and don’t feel that way.

And it seems like gay men would understand. They are much less than 13% of the population and screaming about representation in Hollywood until every show had to have a gay character. The impulse is the same.

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2024 8:49 AM

Who even listens to radio stations now?

Only very old people.

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2024 9:08 AM

[quote] And it seems like gay men would understand. They are much less than 13% of the population and screaming about representation in Hollywood until every show had to have a gay character. The impulse is the same.

I'm gay and I totally get this. I don't want or need to see every single bit of entertainment shoehorn in a gay character. It irritates me because it doesn't feel organic. Don't pander to me. And usually they overcompensate and make it some ridiculous stereotype of a character. And you can't blame straight people for that anymore. Gay writers are among the worst offenders of putting ridiculous stereotypes on the screen. I don't want to watch something because it's gay themed. I want to watch it because it's good. And gay themed films/shows are usually not.

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2024 4:28 PM

The Queen won’t sit down or not talk back. If she wants to do country she shall do country. Everything she touches is excellent. And when people call the radio to listen to her country bops the radio will play it. That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 16, 2024 4:42 PM

[quote] —BrickPollitt

How did you get into the library so early, you piece of shit?

by Anonymousreply 136February 16, 2024 4:45 PM

R134, totally agree with you. If it feels forced, the creators are trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 137February 16, 2024 4:53 PM

[quote]Everything she touches is excellent.

Fuck off with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 138February 16, 2024 4:54 PM

R136 It will be ok. I am at work right now in my office but things will be ok babe. Just pray.

by Anonymousreply 139February 16, 2024 4:55 PM

The idea that this was racism is just so dumb.

She surprise released the song 5 days ago. Some little ass station in OK doesn't have every song in its library and hey, if someone had called the indie station where I used to DJ and asked for a Beyonce song, I'd also say that wasn't part of our playlist.

Once they heard the song, they added it to their playlist.

The pop/rock music industry is littered with lots of bullshit racist moves, and lots of black artists that didn't get their due. This situation? Ain't that. Not at all, not even a little bit, no.

by Anonymousreply 140February 16, 2024 4:56 PM

Stop blaming the Queen for this bullshit bias. If they didn’t have it in the mafuckin playlist they would have said so. Everything is digital nowadays. They had that shit.

by Anonymousreply 141February 16, 2024 5:19 PM

[quote] If they didn’t have it in the mafuckin playlist they would have said so

They did say so.

by Anonymousreply 142February 16, 2024 5:22 PM

[quote] If they didn’t have it in the mafuckin playlist they would have said so.

Moron

by Anonymousreply 143February 16, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote]Gay writers are among the worst offenders of putting ridiculous stereotypes on the screen. I don't want to watch something because it's gay themed. I want to watch it because it's good.

Sex and The City's Anthony and his Hot Buns bakery, or whatever it is called, is the most cinrge-worthy gay stereotyping I have seen on TV in a long while. And that's written by a gay man and performed by a gay man who should know better and who's a writer himself, but is just happy for the check.

by Anonymousreply 144February 16, 2024 5:40 PM

Oh god, that's nothing compared to the shit that's out there, but I hear you. It's not good.

by Anonymousreply 145February 16, 2024 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!