Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst spin off of all time.

Every couple of weeks I catch an episode of Rhoda and I’m always left thinking it’s the biggest dung heap of a show, and it came from possibly the best comedy to ever air. Did the writers hate Valerie Harper??

by Anonymousreply 99July 7, 2024 12:50 AM

I think this is the worst poll of all time. Rhoda? Phyllis??? Where are:

Joey

AfterMASH

The Brady Brides

The Brady Bunch Hour

The Bradys

The Ropers

Joanie Loves Chachi

Gloria

The Tortellis

Baywatch Nights

Beverly Hills Buntz

Models Inc.

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2024 3:36 AM

Two's Company which was created to provide a cover for FOCUS groups testing consumer products.

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2024 3:42 AM

[quote]Vivian Vance Presents Cavalcade of Cankles

This week's special guest: Hillary Clinton!

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2024 3:44 AM

Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2024 3:50 AM

Joey. I don't understand why LeBlanc did that, since he was set for life.

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2024 4:45 AM

Out of the Blue, a spinoff of a Happy Days about an angel who comes down to Earth to watch over some orphans.

No one wanted to be subjected to this guy's face every week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2024 4:56 AM

Women of the House. what a mess.

by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2024 7:06 AM

Checking In - the horrible spin-off from 'The Jeffersons'

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2024 1:07 AM

The mercifully short sitcom spun off from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2024 1:08 AM

Joanie Loves Chachi

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2024 1:08 AM

704 Hauser St.

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2024 1:10 AM

AfterMASH

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2024 1:22 AM

Rhoda wasn't the *worst* spin-off of all time, but it was probably the biggest case of unfulfilled expectations.

Rhoda was a beloved character. Valerie Harper won three Emmys on the MTM show and a Best Actress Emmy for the first season of the spinoff. Her wedding broke ratings records that stood for decades. Rhoda ranked #6 and #7 for its first two seasons.

But the creators made a fundamental mistake, as James L. Brooks said in his Television Academy interview: They cast a guy as Rhoda's husband that Valerie Harper had no chemistry with. David Groh was no Suzanne Pleshette. The writers couldn't figure out how to write comedy about a '70s marriage for 8 pm (how?), so they broke them up, which created a lot of viewer ill will.

I think he has a point, but it wasn't all Groh. It was the writing and conception. The show was poorly structured from the beginning: Homely Brenda upstaged Rhoda. Brenda got all of Rhoda's former lines, so Rhoda became boring. It might have been better to have Rhoda react against a sister who was perfect.

The show was overlooked by its production company because of the high ratings: If they didn't have writers who could write marriage comedy, they needed more writers who could. They didn't create reliable neighbors or friends for Rhoda (for no good reason), and her last gig in the costume shop playing against a D-list Lou Grant was just lame.

One TV book summed it up well: "After four years with Mary Richards and four-and-a-half years on her own, Rhoda looked like a woman who was going nowhere fast."

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2024 1:27 AM

Thanl you R1, you covered the ones that came to my mind.

Aside from Three's a Crowd most of OP's list was at least modestly entertaining, if not a big behemoth hit.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2024 1:32 AM

R5 I thought the same. Of all the characters to get a spinoff he was the least interesting.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2024 1:50 AM

[quote] The writers couldn't figure out how to write comedy about a '70s marriage for 8 pm (how?), so they broke them up, which created a lot of viewer ill will.

Back then, the networks adhered to 'the family hour' in which shows which aired between 7 pm - 9 pm could not make references to certain topics (especially sex) while children were watching. The first two seasons of 'Rhoda' were on Monday nights at 9:30, so they were safe. By the third season, CBS moved the show to Mondays at 8 pm - smack dab in the 'family hour' - and the writers realized they had a problem on their hands. How can they write for a married couple if they couldn't mention sex ?

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2024 2:11 AM

That was also a weak excuse, R16.

The Dick Van Dyke Show, He & She, and I Love Lucy figured out how to present funny stories about married couples in eras with much greater censorship.

So why couldn't MTM Productions in 1974, with its stable of super-talented writers?

The show was botched by the production company, and they tried to assign it to external factors. But the biggest issue was, the writers just weren't up to par.

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2024 2:29 AM

The San Pedro Beach Bums

Blanskey’s Beauties

Mr. T & Tina

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2024 2:45 AM

LOL at the Out of the Blue mention.....with future DL legends Dixie Carter and Eileen Heckart

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]Joey. I don't understand why LeBlanc did that, since he was set for life.

Anything that put cute lil Paulo Costanzo on tv is fine by me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2024 3:50 AM

LeBlanc doing the spinoff made a certain amount of sense. He was the one with the least talent and the least opportunities out of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2024 1:39 PM

Three's A Crowd suffered from the bland Mary Cadorette. It looks like it was produced by the same greedy cheapskates as Three's Company, so they probably just hired the actress who accepted the lowest pay.

They should have had Jack marry Cindy (Jennilee Harrison). Then he could play 'straight man' to her goofy mishaps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2024 2:31 PM

Joey.

I was going to suggest Frasier 2.0, but then I remembered it's a revival, not a spin-off.

by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2024 2:37 PM

"The Colbys" the horrible, dull spin-off from 'Dynasty'. Even Joan Collins trash talked this spin-off when it happened. But ABC insisted on another Spelling 'glamorous' drama, and this is what they got. If not for Stephanie Beecham, this would've been totally unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2024 2:50 PM

Robert Mandan deserved better than Three's a Crowd.

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2024 2:56 PM

R24 I think the Colbys was better than Dynasty for the two seasons they ran simultaneously. The show was far from dull, but not everything worked. For one, the cast was too large. Emma Samms was miscast from the get go and written as this whiny frau, which was a huge mistake. Jason, Sable, Jeff, Fallon and Connie should’ve been the main drivers of the action, and the rest relegated to the B stories (well they actually got three of five of them right, not Fallon and Connie). Beacham was fun in the role, but a bit overrated. Having another British bitch was too on the nose. They should’ve gone with an American bitch as Jason’s wife.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2024 3:03 PM

I don't think Rhoda was the worst spin off of all time by a long shot. I loved it the first few years it was on -- even though I found Joe unappealing I still thought Rhoda and Brenda were funny. But to me the worst thing about it by far was Rhoda's little troll mother Ida.

The show hasn't held up at all though. But I do love the 70's styles and decor.

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2024 3:15 PM

Heston as Jason Colby was so terrible. Literally anyone else might have been better.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2024 7:44 PM

Didn't someone get abducted by aliens on The Colbys?

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2024 7:53 PM

R29 On the final episode, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2024 7:57 PM

Part of the mistake with Rhoda was marrying her off so fast. Maybe if she had had a longer courtship at the at the beginning, her show would have been better.

Woman of the House was awful. They retconned Sugarbaker family history -- suddenly there's a "retarded" (Suzanne's words) brother -- and it was so unfunny. Delta Burke had lost what made her funny.

Most spinoffs that feature secondary characters turned main characters suck ("Frasier" is an exception).

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2024 8:06 PM

Joey.

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2024 8:15 PM

[quote] Three's A Crowd suffered from the bland Mary Cadorette. It looks like it was produced by the same greedy cheapskates as Three's Company, so they probably just hired the actress who accepted the lowest pay.

A cheap production company that must have spent all of $20 on the opening credits to "The Ropers."

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2024 8:17 PM

Phyllis, the worst?

It sure isn't her.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2024 8:18 PM

R29 the Fallon character. Emma specifically. Pamela Sue wouldn’t play this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2024 8:41 PM

Rhoda can't be the worst spinoff of all time for one reason:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2024 8:44 PM

Rhoda was highly disappointing. They took a beloved, quirky character from Mary Tyler Moore, moved her to New York, and made her normal (more like Mary).

It would have been interesting to see her single for a season or two, as mentioned.

For Rhoda's husband: should have been a small-ish, nerdy, college professor-type, like the guy she dated on MTM (they ate Chinese food on the steps). Someone intelligent who appreciated Rhoda's quirky style.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2024 9:02 PM

Vivian AND Larry Tate!

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2024 9:20 PM

For the record:

The original choice to play Joe on 'Rhoda' was actor Judd Hirsch ('Taxi'). They apparently had great chemistry together when he auditioned for the role. Howeverm they took way too long to make him an offer - he had taken a role on Broadway which he was committed to, and wouldn't leave the production to join the cast of 'Rhoda'. In season 4, he played her love interest in a multi-episode story arc (they ended up breaking up).

Sable Colby was originally offered to Angie Dickinson, whom Aaron Spelling first offered the role of 'Krystle' on 'Dynasty'. The story goes that while she was taking time to 'consider' the offer, Spelling caught Beecham on stage in a play in London. He knew right then he wanted her, and visited her backstage in her dressing room. He made her an offer (supposedly without even a screen test) and she accepted within a day. By the time Dickinson got back to him with an acceptance, she was told the role was filled.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2024 10:34 PM

R39 yeah I’ve heard that story about Dickinson. She was offered Krystle, but she turned it down. Then Dynasty became huge, so I’m sure the money talked regard the Colbys. That and being on another possible hit show. She has said she hated doing Police Woman, maybe because of the success or failure of it was squarely on her shoulders, unlike the Colbys, where she didn’t have to carry the entire show.

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2024 10:42 PM

R4

Criminally underrated comment.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2024 12:34 AM

Rhoda was a terrible spin off. But Rhoda was a great character.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2024 1:05 AM

I didn’t mind Rhoda’s marriage or divorce but I drew the line when she moved down a few floors to that much less charming apartment.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2024 1:38 AM

The Ropers bombed because the characters worked well in the context of Three Company as supporting cast. Putting them as leads of their own show changed their unique dynamic and became boring at best.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2024 2:04 AM

Empty Nest. I have never seen it in reruns. And it had an awful spinoff called Nurses, which was quickly canceled.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2024 2:26 AM

[quote]The show was poorly structured from the beginning: Homely Brenda upstaged Rhoda. Brenda got all of Rhoda's former lines, so Rhoda became boring. It might have been better to have Rhoda react against a sister who was perfect.

Wasn’t there an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show where they go to Rhoda’s sister’s wedding and that sister was kind of perfect? Or at least the golden child? I can’t remember exactly what happened but something along those lines. I like your idea, r13.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2024 6:39 AM

Yeah, I also recall that, R46. When she was on the MTM show, Rhoda definitely had a perfect type sister who was the favored one and got married. I remember being surprised when her sister turned out to be Brenda.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2024 11:39 AM

No one has mentioned FLO?

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2024 11:50 AM

Grease 2

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2024 1:22 PM

704 Hauser. The house from 'All in the Family' goes to college in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2024 4:28 PM

I agree that David Groh was not ideally cast as Joe on Rhoda; his chemistry with Valerie Harper felt off, and his demeanor was too intense for this type of show. It didn't bother me too much because the writers quickly adjusted by minimizing his role and giving him more straight lines, even prior to the separation storyline.

This shift allowed Brenda to step into a more prominent role, which I enjoyed because I loved the character and Julie Kavner's performance. The relationship between the three Morgenstern women was the strongest part of the series IMO.

The Season 4 opening credits, featuring Rhoda and Brenda engaging in various activities around NYC, were also a favorite of mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2024 5:01 PM

I think ‘Joey’ would have had a better chance of working if they had made it a workplace comedy. Have him cast on a successful series and play off the wacky co-stars and director (think Tootsie.) Watching a pushing-40 struggling actor is not entertaining and the lame cast of characters they surrounded him with didn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2024 7:16 PM

When I saw Rhoda was going to divorce Joe, my teenage mind concocted ways to get to New York so I could appreciate his size meat and the forest surrounding it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2024 7:55 PM

Rhoda and Phyllis were both good spin-offs. Rhoda could have been better (why was Joe divorced with a kid?) but it still lasted five seasons.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2024 8:30 PM

R43 That 'charming apartment' on the first two seasons of RHODA became SEINFELD's apartment (without the rooftop patio) in the 90s. Right down to the intercom / buzzer.

R46 R47 Yes, that was her sister 'Debbie' played by actress Liberty Williams. She was never mentioned again or seen again.

R51 That's the first version of S4 opening. They had to reshoot the the beginning because Harper had lost weight that summer, and became 'too thin'. You can see her bones in that green dress - viewers wrote to the show to ask if Harper was going through chemo, fearing she had cancer. (The tabloids ran with those rumors). So they had to redo those 'stills' of her - I believe the new shots had her in a white dress covering her bones.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2024 8:57 PM

R53, I wanted in Joe’s pants so bad!

I blame David Groh for setting off my lifetime obsession with a hairy chest.

Apparently, this was an unintended phenomenon playing out in living rooms populated by gaylings across the nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2024 9:00 PM

“Golden Palace” was the absolute worst spinoff. The “Golden Girls” could have continued without Bea Arthur. Elaine Stritch would’ve been perfect for a “Dorothy” type. (She auditioned originally for the Dorothy role, but was rejected.)

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2024 9:03 PM

Here’s David Groh getting stretched by Bikram, the hot yoga entrepreneur who’d wind of disgraced in the #metoo era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2024 10:15 PM

More yoga with Groh.

I know, start your own fucking thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2024 10:16 PM

R5 because he doesn't want to be forgotten. It is all about their egos. A lot of celebrities get super rich but won't retire because of their egos.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2024 10:20 PM

Worst thread ever

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2024 10:21 PM

Phyllis had a great theme song though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2024 1:33 AM

The New Testament.

by Anonymousreply 63June 20, 2024 2:17 AM

OK, Good one R63. I really laughed at that one.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2024 10:58 AM

[quote]Joey. I don't understand why LeBlanc did that, since he was set for life.

You obviously don't know much about actors. No one goes through what a struggling actor has to go through with the goal of being "set for life." Acting isn't investment banking. Actors want to act. And it's not just because of "ego," as another poster said. With few exceptions, actors genuinely love to act. And a chance to headline his own series and not be just a member of an ensemble? Catnip for an actor.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2024 11:26 AM

The Good Fight.

It started off very well, with Christine Baranski stealing every scene she was in. But after the first two seasons it just got stranger and stranger and stranger..

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2024 11:27 AM

R13, As a gayling in the mid-1970s, I enjoyed whenever the “Rhoda” writers had David Groh shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2024 11:44 AM

For me, one of the best written/funniest shows of the “Rhoda” series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2024 11:46 AM

Blansky’s Beauties

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2024 12:33 PM

R65 If he loved to act, he wouldn't have done shit like Joey.

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2024 1:18 PM

I don't know if they're sequels, prequels, spin-offs, or what, but whatever shows some of the cast of That 70s Show did.

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2024 1:18 PM

I never watched [italic]Fish[/italic] but thought it a bad idea at the time. It didn't last, so I suspect it's a contender.

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2024 5:01 PM

Rhoda wasn’t the worst, it was the biggest disappointment.

Here’s a question—what was the BEST spinoff? I’m thinking “Lou Grant.”

by Anonymousreply 73July 4, 2024 5:07 PM

Can we talk more about the Golden Palace and why it was so awful?

by Anonymousreply 74July 4, 2024 5:13 PM

I'd rather not. I get depressed thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 75July 4, 2024 6:28 PM

Clearly a post by an ancient eldergay

by Anonymousreply 76July 4, 2024 6:33 PM

Knot's Landing was a great spinoff.

by Anonymousreply 77July 4, 2024 10:19 PM

How many of the original writers of The Golden Girl were employed in The Golden Palace?

by Anonymousreply 78July 4, 2024 11:49 PM

I've seen every episode of Rhoda, I think it is very funny.

Rhoda and Brenda in Vegas onstage with Johnny Venture? Comedy gold!

by Anonymousreply 79July 5, 2024 1:34 AM

[quote]How many of the original writers of The Golden Girl were employed in The Golden Palace?

Not enough, clearly. The premise sucked, for starters. It ignored everything that made the original series so popular. As others have said, the original series could have continued by bringing in a new roommate to replace Bea Arthur. The right actress may have even invigorated the series, which was declining in quality, as most long-running series do eventually.

by Anonymousreply 80July 5, 2024 2:22 AM

Rhoda was high art compared to that garbage heap Three’s a Crowd.

by Anonymousreply 81July 5, 2024 2:46 AM

The premise sucked indeed, R80, and the black guy was not funny.

by Anonymousreply 82July 5, 2024 3:18 AM

Rhoda seemed claustrophobic. The apartments, although meant to be in NY seemed dark and cluttered. And it didn't help when the focus went to Brenda and Kavner's whiny voice, so perfect for Marge Simpson, was unbearable.

Veteran actor Steve Frankel played Rhoda's boyfriend Jonas on MTM and he was far better with Harper than Groh. They paired her with Rene Auberjonois late in the series and that had promise but it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 83July 5, 2024 4:41 AM

Steve Franken from "Dobie Gillis," R83?

by Anonymousreply 84July 5, 2024 8:53 AM

It hasn’t even come out yet, but I’m pretty sure “George and Mandy’s Forst Marriage”’will end up on this list pretty quickly.

It’s not like “Young Sheldon” was the best spin-off either.

by Anonymousreply 85July 5, 2024 9:15 AM

Angel wasn't a terrible show but it was terrible compared to the show that birthed it, Buffy. I think that makes it a bad spin-off.

by Anonymousreply 86July 5, 2024 9:44 AM

Do prequels count as spin-offs? If so, then House of the Dragon.

by Anonymousreply 87July 5, 2024 9:57 AM

R73 I'd pick 'Frasier' as the best spin-off. 'Lou Grant' loses points for never having had any MTM characters visit Lou in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 88July 5, 2024 11:15 AM

Just thinking about the openings of Phyllis and Rhoda... Loved the Phyllis opening. It coincided with my introduction to weed so my laughs quotient was way up there before the episode began.

As for Rhoda, watching my younger sister as she watched the opening was fascinating. Her lips moved as Rhoda gave her abbreviated life story. I should ask her if Rhoda was a disappointing role model.

by Anonymousreply 89July 5, 2024 12:18 PM

R88 technically one did, Eileen Heckart who played Mary's Aunt Flo.

But I know what you meant.

by Anonymousreply 90July 5, 2024 1:34 PM

Never watched Golden Palace (I was only a sporadic Golden Girls watcher, anyway). Never watched Lou Grant.

I loved the Here's Lucy spinoff, Kim, Craig, and Uncle Harry.

by Anonymousreply 91July 5, 2024 3:27 PM

R84, yes, he played the best friend of the guy who was romancing Mary. He comes on to Rhoda at a party but not smarmy at all. He had a few small guest appearances but it never translated into anything bigger. Even Brenda's boyfriend Benny, Ray Buktenika would have been more interesting than Groh

by Anonymousreply 92July 5, 2024 4:52 PM

David Groh needed to sit on my face back then

by Anonymousreply 93July 5, 2024 10:49 PM

R5 I think Matt reasoned IM STILL YOUNG, let me seize the next gig now. It’s just one of those things where the writing sucked.

by Anonymousreply 94July 5, 2024 10:51 PM

[Quote] David Groh needed to sit on my face back then

I knew it! THAT’s what the show needed!

by Anonymousreply 95July 5, 2024 11:13 PM

I actually didn’t watch Cheers or Frazier so I can’t compare. As a superfan of MTM, yes I always harbored a wish that Mary would fly in from Peoria where she was producer of news at a tv station (or whatever), and was disappointed when it never happened, but in hindsight I think it was a good idea.

MTM was comedy and TLGS was an issue drama. Having the characters from a sitcom meet again in a serious drama would be a very odd tonal shift one way or another. I think the clean break worked better.

by Anonymousreply 96July 5, 2024 11:37 PM

The unlikable Ray Buttenika and other bad supporting characters ruined Rhoda. Him specifically. I had a huge crush on the Johnny Venture character but he didn't fit well either.

It might have worked better if she and Joe were in a perpetual state of trying, marriage in separation, back and forth. Has there ever been a good show like that? There must be. It's so commonplace in real life, even my own parents for a time as well as so many friends right now.

by Anonymousreply 97July 6, 2024 3:10 AM

R96 TLGS? I thought the name was Lou Grant.

by Anonymousreply 98July 7, 2024 12:38 AM

The Connors

The first season reboot of Roseanne wasn't great either. It's like they all forgot what made the original so endearing.

And trying to market Sara Gilbert as some white-hot piece of ass that every man in Lanford wants was never not ridiculous. As another message board said, the womans face is shriveled up like an eighty-year-olds vagina.

by Anonymousreply 99July 7, 2024 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!