Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss Anaïs Nin

The daughter of Cuban parents, Nin was born in France and had a cosmopolitan upbringing. She was by all accounts a nymphomaniac and had many affairs throughout her life, including with writer Henry Miller, psychoanalyst Otto Rank, and also (by her own account) fucked Gore Vidal as well as her own father. She is most famous perhaps for her published journals, as well as a number of collections of erotica. She also helped Miller edit "Tropic of Cancer". I read several volumes of her journals in college and have been fascinated by her in the years since—a truly fucked up but interesting woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 14, 2024 3:14 AM

She IS Anaïs Nin!

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2024 12:36 AM

She really was a fascinating, complex person.

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2024 12:49 AM

Am I mixing her up…. or as an adult did she meet her father in a hotel and have a week long affair with him?

I hope I’m not just imagining this - that would be disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2024 12:53 AM

She was mentally ill - certainly histrionic, if not also borderline and narcissistic. She must have been a great fuck for so many men to have tolerated her and desired her. Perhaps she was not a toxic form of her illnesses and was making the most of her life. But secret polygamy and a mountain of lies. Sheesh. Bad news, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2024 12:53 AM

“Anaïs, you make me forget God!” she reports her father crying out as she impaled herself on his throbbing member.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2024 1:07 AM

She was so amazing that Cacharel named a perfume after her… twice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2024 1:08 AM

Fred Ward, who played Anaïs Nin's lover in Henry and June, was in Secret Admirer which was a derivative of Cyrano de Bergerac. Eric Porter starred in a 1968 BBC Play of the Month version of Cyrano de Bergerac as Cyrano himself.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2024 1:23 AM

It seems like a lot of men put up with high maintenance women.

If you’ve ever perused a reality show like Love is Blind or something similar, these shrill demanding women always seem to have the best luck with the mens.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2024 1:32 AM

Only on DL..

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2024 1:45 AM

I am *not* a Ninny.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2024 1:54 AM

Jesus. You instantly transported me back to the summer of '84 in NYC, OP.

I was obsessed with her back then. Same with Edie.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2024 2:14 AM

Vidal denied the affair. Confessed to being "ensorceled" initially by Nin and ultimately dismissed her as a liar. Vidal also admitted he had dismissed her as an old lady when they met, he was later ashamed of being ageist.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2024 2:15 AM

Sedgwick

Nico

Sedgwick

Nico

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2024 2:16 AM

I never read Miller or Nin.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2024 2:16 AM

[quote] I never read Miller or Nin.

For that you'll get Cancer.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2024 2:17 AM

R14 Tropic of Cancer is a fever dream of a novel. Some of the best line writing of all time. No real story. But I remember being enthralled with how alive the writing was.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2024 2:20 AM

I thought Nin was deep when I was a freshman. Then I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2024 2:21 AM

Nico, too, R13. I was obsessed with her as well.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2024 2:28 AM

Do you read at all, R14?

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2024 2:31 AM

[quote]r8 It seems like a lot of men put up with high maintenance women.

It’s tragic. Especially when you think how noble and utterly selfless most st8 men are.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2024 2:33 AM

She hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2024 2:43 AM

R16 same here. It is one of the most mysterious things I've ever read. Very famously censored.

by Anonymousreply 22February 14, 2024 2:45 AM

R4 nailed it. She was someone to stay away from, I think

by Anonymousreply 23February 14, 2024 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!