Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Positive and Hopeful thread about upcoming elections

Dang, that's a weird topic for Datalounge, right? Back in 2020 and to a lesser extent in 2016, I stopped watching news on TV and limited myself to reading headlines and topics here. I was too anxious and depressed about the possibility of..., well, how awful it could be and actually got. And it got worse, every fucking day.

So this year I'm going to be different. I want an inventory of every GOP fail that may suggest things are on the upswing for Democracy. I'll start with a deepest, darkest Florida State House district going Democratic, very unexpectedly.

Please add your own from wherever you are, even in other countries beset by similar tidal waves of crap shoveled by "conservative leaders."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2024 8:30 PM

This thread fell off my watcher and I forgot about until I was cleaning it out now. One more contribution:

[QUOTE]Per AP VoteCast, "2 in 10 Iowa voters, one-third of New Hampshire voters, and one-quarter of South Carolina voters would be so disappointed by Trump’s renomination that they would refuse to vote for him in the fall."

This is significant in Iowa and S. Carolina which went to Trump in 2020. If it's 20% and 25% in these states, it must also hold for swing states at maybe even higher margins?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2024 1:27 AM

How long until this thread kills itself?

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2024 1:40 AM

Democrat Stabenow is retiring fron the Senate and the seat is in play, but the Michigan state GOP committee is a mess and hasn't been doing much fundraising. I'm hopeful. And now that Trump’s got his claws fully into the RNC, the money is going to be siphoned for legal bills. I'm hopeful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2024 5:27 PM

Democrat Stabenow is retiring fron the Senate and the seat is in play, but the Michigan state GOP committee is a mess and hasn't been doing much fundraising. I'm hopeful. And now that Trump’s got his claws fully into the RNC, the money is going to be siphoned for legal bills. I'm hopeful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2024 5:28 PM

^Sorry about the double post.

And only two days after ABC article was published:

[QUOTE]Michigan US Senate candidate Mike Rogers apparently calling for the ouster of new MIGOP chair, his former congressional colleague, Pete Hoekstra, who lobbied for a CCP-tied company sanctioned by the U.S. government.

They're cannibalizing themselves. BTW, Jeff Timmer is a longtime Michigan GOP political consultant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2024 5:34 PM

I'm not going to let the thread go, r2. If something stands out, I'll post it here, even if it's only as a pep talk to myself. A small sign from one of the deepest red states.

I voted for Trump – twice. Liz Cheney's book and DOJ Jan. 6 indictment changed my mind

How is Trump not in jail right now? This book is a very frightening story! It is scary because it shows how incredibly obsessed Trump was about being cheated out of the election. He was totally irrational and willing to believe anything he was told that would lead to a verification of fraudulent voting activities. No matter how hard his advisers and supporters tried to tell him there was simply no substantial evidence that the election was stolen, he continued to connive, coerce and threaten people to overturn the results. He filed some 60 lawsuits in various states attempting to show fraudulent voting activity, all of which he lost.

After reading Liz Cheney’s book, the committee findings and the DOJ indictment, I do not understand how Donald Trump can possibly be considered as a legitimate candidate for the most important job in the world. Frankly, I don’t understand how he is not in jail right now.

Having subjected you to my own opinion I will go no further than to implore you, before you cast a vote or support Donald Trump, please take the time to read Liz Cheney’s book, or the committee findings or the DOJ indictment. The future of our society depends on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2024 6:37 PM

I’m staying positive and hopeful Trump will win!! :-D

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2024 6:41 PM

That bloviating orange traitor is going to end up in ADX max security. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2024 7:23 PM

For the vast majority of Americans, just like in 2016, the day after Election Day will be just a Wednesday. Many care about politics but the majority of Americans realize that while the outcomes may be very painful, they are not existential, despite what the crazies say,

My advice is to accept that what will happen in politics will not be affected in any way by what you, a DLer, do or your emotional stake in it. You could still be interested and still be concerned. However, you should spend more time working on your personal life and fixing all the broken pieces in that.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2024 7:28 PM

I'm appalled by the number of people that have been voting for Trump in the primaries. Some people just never learn.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2024 7:31 PM

[QUOTE]you should spend more time working on your personal life and fixing all the broken pieces in that.

??? That's mighty presumptuous of you. Is that boilerplate you use across political threads to derive a sense of superiority?

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2024 7:35 PM

BLue wave please.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2024 7:45 PM

Except for two sites, traffic at right wing websites has plummeted dramatically across the board from Jan 2020 to Jan 2024. Traffic was likely elevated due to Covid and the insurrection in 2020, but this January had plenty of newsworthy court rulings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2024 9:07 PM

Like OP, I have been avoiding the news because I can’t take the All Trump All the Damn Time coverage. However, I’m going to let it motivate me instead. I’ll be doing whatever I can to get out the Democratic vote this November. Except maybe knocking on the doors of right-wing whack jobs with guns.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2024 9:17 PM

[quote]I'm appalled by the number of people that have been voting for Trump in the primaries. Some people just never learn.

I’d be willing to bet that on Election Day, a small fraction of those people won’t be able to bring themselves to pull the trigger on voting for him. Very, very small. But maybe enough to make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2024 3:52 PM

Here’s the thing - a lot of “democrats” running are really republicans. They either vote with republicans or they switch parties after they’re elected.

States need to each adopt a law saying that if a candidate switches parties there should be an immediate recall election and a new election afterwards. Running on democratic principles, on money from the DNC and Democratic donors then removing the mask should not be allowed.

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2024 6:08 PM

Trump is going to be crushed in November.

Just like in 2020, when he lost fair and square to Joseph Robinette Biden.

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2024 6:22 PM

Robinette?!? Never knew that!

by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2024 6:53 PM

Saw a bumper sticker today that said, “Believe in Brandon”.

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2024 8:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!