Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I can’t sit still

I keep moving from city to city. In the last 8 years, I’ve lived in Los Angeles, New York, Portland, New York, Anacortes, and New York in that order. Last fall, I was seriously considering Ecuador. Now I’m considering Cleveland. What’s up with me? Anyone else like this?

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2024 2:29 AM

Yes, OP. In the past ten years, I've lived in New England, Germany, Los Angeles, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania. I'm moving to Chicago next year.

It's called wanderlust ...

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 7:53 PM

Why? Was moving alot for work or a man. If not for those 2 reasons, then Why?

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 7:54 PM

r2 in my case, it was for work. With that said, a lot of those moves weren't obligatory but optional ... and I opted in.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 7:56 PM

What do you do for work? They allow you to move all over?

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 7:56 PM

That’s a lot of money spent on moving costs, including broker fees if you rent or closing costs if you buy.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 7:57 PM

I'm an academic, r4. But I'm just contingent faculty, so I move around as funded research opportunities arise.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 7:57 PM

Wanderlust is a neurotic psychological condition .Flip side of agoraphobia.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 8:00 PM

Poor adjunct 😥

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 8:07 PM

OP, didn’t you post a few years ago about moving to Anacortes with your bf, intending to buy a house with family and live together? If so, sorry it didn’t work out.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 8:07 PM

Clearly it did not …🧐

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 8:09 PM

I have been based out of NYC since 1998, but left five times, each for a year or two in other cities (one in Western Europe, one down South, one in upstate NY and one for a prestigious fellowship in a policy hub). I bought a tiny co-op in NY when I was young, and I was able to hold onto it for these past 25 years. I use it as a pied a terre and office, but I can retire there and probably will in a few more years.

I moved around to better position myself professionally and to earn money and experience. I’m single and I want to have as much autonomy and financial freedom as possible as I age.

I am really sad and concerned for friends and acquaintances who have no savings, property or security. These are some of my coolest and most interesting friends, but they are secretly broke. Their parents are outliving their assets, too, so inheritances can be meager. We, or many of us, are a generation that came after defined benefit pensions (I have a 403b with a very high balance, but that’s not the same as a State or Federal Pension).

My friends who did not “stretch” themselves professionally aged out of their jobs in their early 40’s, and many subsist on part time gigs in retail, producing media and hustling Patreon members (often family and friends). It’s a harsh and ageist economy. Many went to good schools are smart and attractive, but they can’t make any money. A few hang out in fancy clubs yet need emergency rent subsidies to avoid losing their apartments, and rely on entitlements for the indigent for medical care and sometimes food, too. It’s rough! And you can’t ever talk about it because almost everyone knows and maybe loves someone broke, and they can lunge at you and scream “maybe everyone isn’t as LUCKY as you, PIG!”

I moved for experience and some options that benefit me right now. It was like hopping across a stream on stones. I will be pissed if I drop dead before the future I tried to plan so carefully for transpires. I’m establishing a trust that will benefit either several small nonprofits, or maybe a large gift to one great one. I don’t know yet.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 8:58 PM

The problem is, wherever you go, there you are.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 9:01 PM

But he's never been to me, r12.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 9:05 PM

R13 As kids we altered that corny song’s lyrics to “I’ve had some parasites, but I’ve never been to me…” We cracked ourselves up.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 9:23 PM

Are you leaving a trail of broken hearts behind you, op? Fess up. You really just fucked your way through city after city and need fresh meat, don't you? Like a tramp!

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2024 9:41 PM

Moving creates new synapses.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 9:44 PM

Cleveland?

Moving is exhausting, expensive, and if things go wrong, traumatic. Next to divorce and childbirth it’s one of the most difficult things that we do as humans.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 9:48 PM

MARY

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 9:49 PM

Hell no. I love visiting new places but I absolutely hate moving. It’s expensive, stressful and I like my things too much. Every move means a few more things get broken or damaged. I live in a 4,000 sq ft house chock full of bric-a-brac, so you can imagine what relocating would entail. I’m happy to go off and see the world but just as happy to have a comfortable, consistent home base to return to.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 9:57 PM

You need me to tie you up

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2024 12:07 AM

If you're considering poor, violent crime-ridden Cleveland, dude, you just need to go squat in some derelict humongous former mental institution.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2024 12:26 AM

OP, have you been to Nice and the isle of Greece?

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2024 12:27 AM

[quote]If you're considering poor, violent crime-ridden Cleveland, dude, you just need to go squat in some derelict humongous former mental institution.

Like everything is crime-ridden and poor. Moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2024 12:47 AM

Cleveland also has one of the country's great art museums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2024 1:38 AM

"Flip side of agoraphobia"

r7 Not at all accurate

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2024 1:40 AM

What happened in Anacortes, OP?

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2024 2:34 AM

If your employer is paying for it and you can maintain constant income, then nothing's wrong with it.

I think you will get tired of it, at some point.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2024 2:38 AM

R2- neither. Moved to Portland just so I could be a season ticket holder for the Trail Blazers. Anacortes to be with family. Los Angeles was work, I guess. New York is always homebase but that may change.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2024 5:10 AM

R4- I’m a peer counselor. Been easy to find a job in that wherever I go.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2024 5:11 AM

R9- it did work out. We were there 2 years, did a lot of great things and then it was time to go.

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2024 5:13 AM

R17- moving has never been difficult or exhausting for me. Give some stuff to Goodwill, pack everything else and ship it. Then fly on a plane. Not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2024 5:19 AM

R21- there are some nice areas in Cleveland, lots of community theater opportunities (I direct), and my husband has family and friends there.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2024 5:21 AM

R22- yes, I’ve sipped champagne on a yacht.

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2024 5:22 AM

R26- it was great. I started a new career in peer support and got to direct three community theater productions, an experience I’ll never forget. And then it was time to leave. Like I feel now.

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2024 5:26 AM

I don’t believe one word of your post, R11. People who make mature, sound decisions in life and in their finances don’t sit on an anonymous message board and humble brag about their decision making. You’re probably as broke as anybody else.

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2024 5:32 AM

Is OP murdering people and then getting out of town before the authorities are on to him?

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2024 1:47 AM

R 35 nailed it. The humble bragging going on and on ….. the transparent superiority complex … you are pathetic ( I guess it was R11)

Someone as clueless as you would never have been able to jump around city to city landing great jobs….

I won’t be cruel because you truly need help . Reading your post made me cringe with embarrassment for you

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2024 2:24 AM

I can't shit shtill.

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2024 2:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!