Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Former Dutch Prime Minister Dries van Agt and his wife die 'hand in hand' by euthanasia at age 93

Good for them, going out on their own terms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 7:44 PM

I think i would keep putting off the appointment, next month, next year

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 7:07 PM

Europeans are so pragmatic

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 7:08 PM

Not at 93, I wouldn't, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 7:09 PM

While I do believe in going out on your own terms, I'm very uncomfortable with this type of thing.

I find it very difficult, but not impossible, to believe that they both independently came to the idea. Also, if you've been married that long, I can imagine not wanting to continue if the other person decided to go. While you might want to continue living, you don't want to continue if your long-time partner wants out.

There's always going to be the question of some form of light influence to outright coercision in these types of situations. From not wanting to take care of a sick person to feeling guilty about being taken care of by someone else to greedy family wanting your money before you spend it all on caring for yourself, I just don't know how you avoid these traps.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 7:11 PM

^ You let adults make these life decisions for themselves. We're kinder to our elderly dogs than we are to elderly people. If one knew they might be going soon the other may have decided they would rather go too than face their last years alone. Sounds like a very loving way to go out

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 7:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!