Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Death Becomes Her” Musical - Best Friends

I’m glad they’re not imitating either Meryl or Goldie, and this is a promo piece, not from the show itself…but it kind of has a sitcom-y, Real Housewives feel to it that the movie didn’t have.

Thoughts? Performance aside, a lot is going to depend on how strong the score is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2024 7:36 AM

Ill-conceived advertisement. I would like to hear one of the tunes from the show instead of the insipid banter between two actors I don't recognize.

The opening musical scene of the film always makes me laugh.

These actors are not abusing an Ozempic prescription.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 5:23 PM

The stage musical adaptation of the 1992 film comedy Death Becomes Her will make its pre-Broadway debut in Chicago this spring, producers announced today.

Starring Tony nominees Megan Hilty (Wicked, TV’s Smash) as “Madeline Ashton” (Meryl Streep in the film) and Jennifer Simard (Company, Once Upon A One More Time) as “Helen Sharp” (Goldie Hawn in the movie), the world premiere of Death Becomes Her will run at Chicago’s Cadillac Palace Theatre from April 30 – June 2, 2024.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 5:30 PM

Outtakes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2024 10:32 AM

In this version both women live off cans of frosting.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2024 10:52 AM

Full cast announced.

Christopher Sieber as Ernest Menville Michelle Williams (Destiny’s Child) as Viola Van Horn (Lisle in the film)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2024 4:10 AM

The BELLIES

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2024 4:27 AM

Yes I suppose a Death Becomes Her musical could work. They better come up with some very good songs though.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2024 4:37 AM

They really need to quit making musicals out of straight comedies.

Beetlejuice.

Back to the Future.

Pretty Woman.

9 to 5.

WRITE YOUR OWN FUCKING PROPERTY, YOU ASSHOLES!

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2024 4:44 AM

Well, musicals are often based on source material, i.e. books, plays, feature films, documentaries, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2024 4:47 AM

R9 Musicals based on books have indeed become legendary.

West Side Story

The King and I

The Sound of Music

Wicked

But musicals based on movies made after 1980? Movies that were written as straight comedies, scored with pop music, and not at all intended to be transformed into jukebox musicals? There's not one goddamn winner in that bunch.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2024 4:53 AM

It's coming to Broadway in October and Amex presale tickets are available now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2024 3:40 PM

It looks fun. Hope the score measures up.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2024 3:57 PM

I have tickets for this coming Wednesday! Taking myself on a solo date night and I'm very excited about it. I'll be sure to report back.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2024 4:38 PM

I am interested r13 because the film always makes me laugh and I have seen it dozens of times

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2024 5:34 PM

Poor Megan Hilty can’t land a hit to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2024 5:35 PM

Aren't they a little fat for the show?

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2024 5:38 PM

I have heard a bootleg of the third preview. Even just hearing it, it shows promise, though not all lyrics were intelligible given the recording quality, especially when they belted.

It’ll definitely be cut down for Broadway, it’s too long at the moment (not uncommon for previews, I know). The score is better than I thought it might be, but there’s no real “standout” song yet. The book seemed fairly strong. Not as subtle as parts of the film, as the laugh lines have been beefed up significantly.

Michelle Williams as the Lisle equivalent may look great in publicity stills, but her voice is too “pop” in my opinion. Someone more exotic, maybe even operatic, would be better.

Jennifer Simard as Helen came across the best, I thought. Very droll and deadpan. Hilty was fun but a little cartoonish.

So certainly room for improvement, but better than a lot of screen-to-stage shows. The crowd certainly seemed to be loving it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2024 9:59 PM

You can hear part of the overture here. Definitely inspired by Alan Silvestri.

Clever how they recreated the film’s opening shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 10:33 PM

Brand new promo footage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2024 7:15 AM

Jennifer Simard was wonderful in Company.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2024 10:21 AM

Did they make them look heavy so the look amazing after taking the potion? They aged M up so she'd look terrific post-potion

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2024 10:47 AM

In the movie there's a cut scene where Mad takes a call from Dakota begging her forgiveness. That's where's she's heading to when Ern knocks her down the stairs. I always assumed she was going out to a trendy bar or club to get hit on.

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2024 10:49 AM

I'm hating what I'm seeing so far of Michelle Williams. She's too sexless for for the Lisle role.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2024 11:37 AM

They both look like HARDCORE Fraus

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2024 12:44 PM

That was a really cool older film, but this musical looks super cheesy and frau-ish. I hope I’m wrong.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2024 12:53 PM

The jokes are tired — and didn’t Mame and Vera use that “old, old, old friend” joke? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2024 1:01 PM

Creating a new musical is a big financial risk. Having a pre-existing fan base makes it seem like a safer bet. Also, basing the show on a known property means people have some idea what to expect and may make them more comfortable shelling out to see it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2024 1:15 PM

I think I just saw a variation of that “old, old, friend” schtick in 1981’s Evil Under the Sun with Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2024 1:24 PM

Les Miserables, based on a book Oklahoma, based on a book Carousel, based on a play King & I, based on a novel which had become a movie Phantom, the same Oliver, the same Ragtime, the same MAME, based on a novel that had become a play that had become a movie Man of La Mancha, based on a teleplay that was based on a book Cabaret, based on a play which was based on a novel Sweet Charity, based on a film Annie, based on a comic strip Applause, based on a movie that was based on a magazine story or something Promises Promises, based on a movie

And on and on and on.

The problem isn’t the theft of ideas, as R8 seems to suggest. It’s that the product people keep cranking out these days is garbage. Absolute SHIT. You want to musicalize something? That’s awesome. But it better be good. It’s as if folks are going through IMDB for titles that could sell, all “we have to do is write some songs! They don’t have to be good!”

SHREK, the musical? Absolute shit. One of the worst evenings I spent in a theatre. What was the point? A money-grab. 9 To 5? Oooooph Big Fish? PU Devil Wears Prada? An embarrassment. I sat in the audience, embarrassed for the performers.

R8 wants original properties and ideas. Those happen, too, but far too infrequently. Known titles and properties are safer bets, from a producer’s standpoint. But it IS exciting when it’s fresh and new and funny. I just can’t remember the last time that happened?

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2024 1:25 PM

R18. Who is creating these advertisements? They're not enticing or informative

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2024 1:41 PM

R19 this is what I needed to see and hear to confirm my interest, the music sounds shrill. An irritant. But it was so funny to see Destiny's Child Michelle Williams, I thought you were speaking of Heath Ledgers baby mama!

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2024 1:50 PM

Have any actresses ever got their tits out in a musical?

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2024 1:55 PM

Apparently Nicole Scherzinger was originally meant to play the part of Viola (Lisle) but had to drop out at the last minute because of Sunset Boulevard's huge success, so Michelle stepped in at the last minute.

According to reviews of the previews, her performance is the only disappointing one—anemic, wooden, timid, just wrong for the role and wrong for Broadway in general, though her singing is apparently glorious. She's just not an actress. I'm quite certain she'll be replaced before it moves to Broadway, if for no other reason to put the poor girl out of her misery. Obviously Isabella played the role quite deadpan in the film, but for the stage, it requires BIG camp to make an impact, like Ursula big, and Michelle just doesn't have it in her.

But people are saying it's hilarious, campy as fuck, deliciously cunty, and GAY GAY GAY. Also apparently the sets but especially the costumes are already Tony contenders, even in the previews. I'm going to see it Tuesday but my friend who went to the opening night show recorded a bit for me, and I'm fairly certain the number "Into the Gaze" will be an instant drag classic. My friend refused to spoil for me how they pulled off the falling down the stairs stunt but she said they couldn't have done it better if they tried. She also said Megan and Jennifer knock it out of the park and their chemistry is sensational.

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2024 2:02 PM

I hope for Megan Hilty that this is a hit!

I hope for Jennifer…well…

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2024 2:05 PM

[quote] Have any actresses ever got their tits out in a musical?

On purpose?

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2024 2:08 PM

Based on the clip r19 provided, Williams has a surprisingly strong voice. I am of the opinion these little pop princesses can not sing live but Williams proved otherwise

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2024 2:12 PM

I thought Kristin Chenoweth was ramping up to do this show. What happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2024 3:25 PM

Michelle Williams’ singing is mediocre, at best, and she’s terrible on stage. She looks like a deer in headlights.

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2024 4:30 PM

One fan review said the music was fun in the moment but hard to remember afterwards. Seems to be the case with a lot of modern musicals. Maybe they’ll write a really memorable showstopper for the Broadway run, but I’m not holding my breath.

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2024 3:43 AM

Chicago Tribune Review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2024 11:56 AM

How come they're both chunky post-potion, they don't look any better in R40

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2024 6:17 PM

How are they going to show the special fx live? And how will they show her great fall?

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2024 6:18 PM

SPOILERS:

I don’t know about the hole in stomach, but as of now, Madeline’s head does not twist around. A bone sticks out of her neck. The fall is accomplished by a stunt double and apparently very well executed.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2024 12:31 AM

The seems like campy sludge.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2024 3:28 AM

I'm a [bold]HUGE[/bold] fan of the movie (one of my fave movies) but I don't like the look of this musical. Death Becomes Her could have done without this.

by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2024 3:46 AM

Variety’s critic considers the show an improvement over the film. I think that’s a bit of a stretch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2024 4:41 AM

If Dirty Rotten Scoundrels can run, why can't this?

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2024 4:46 AM

Did you see it, R46?

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2024 5:06 AM

C'mon R48 you saw those clips? No actress is a patch on Goldie, Meryl or even Isabella

by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2024 7:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!