Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's Shirley's World!

She's extra squinty in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 7:29 PM

Judging from this clip, I see why this flopped. Any eldergays remember this terrible show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 3:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 3:04 PM

I love the show's intro - it's so of-its-time.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 3:07 PM

We’ve talked about this show before here. Apparently the production was a complete melee behind the scenes but I don’t remember the details.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 3:10 PM

Is it just me or is the cinematography of this trailer vaguely reminiscent of Valley of The Dolls? The opening shot of Shirley screams "The Gibson Girl is an international photojournalist!" I half expected the last shots in that rapid series of cuts to end with Shirley popping amphetamine to keep up with the crazy demands of the newspaper editors. The perils of being a career girl in a man's world!

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 3:11 PM

Shirley was so pixie-cute in the '50s and through the mid-'60s, but that look didn't carry over well into the ensuing decades at all, did it? As OP notes, she just looked squinty.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 3:27 PM

I think I watched about 10 minutes of the first show and switched to something else.

It really seemed liked before every take they had to remind Shirley which side of the camera should be pointing toward her subject.....

Painful.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 3:27 PM

I preferred Shirley Booth’s World.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 3:33 PM

Shirley you're joking!

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 3:35 PM

I was probably watching Shirley Jones in The Partridge Family.

John Gregson - I remember him from a lot of '50s English movies, especially Genevieve. Good actor. But in an interview on the Genevieve DVD his co-star Dinah Sheridan said in a scene where he was supposed to give her a look because he found her sexy, he was unable to do it. Not the type.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 4:37 PM

This was considered a big comedown for Maclaine. In those days, movie stars only starred in TV series if their film careers were severely in decline 9see: Hope Lange, Shirley Jones).

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 6:53 PM

R11 And Hope Lange won two Emmys for her show, for best comedy performance by a lead actress, so it worked out pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 7:21 PM

Turned out the past lives she photographed were boring.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!