Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

12 years ago today, Whitney Houston had a sudden, tragic death

Picture it:

February 11, 2012 in the afternoon. Suite 434 in The Beverly Hilton Hotel, in Beverly Hills, CA. Paramedics are called to the scene at 3:30 in the afternoon where a black female, aged 48, is found unresponsive - submerged in about three inches of water in her bathtub. CPR is performed, but it's too late. She is pronounced dead at the scene at 3:55 PM PT.

That female is none other than singer Whitney Houston, regarded as one of the greatest singers in the 20th Century. Though the announcement is shocking, it's not totally surprising - most critics, fans, family and friends knew it was inevitable considering the lifestyle she led. A month later, the coroner would declare the cause of death to be drowning, with the contributing effects of heart disease and cocaine use in a 47 page report. She also had marijuana, Benadryl, Xanax and Flexeril in her system, though they didn't contribute to her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2024 9:46 PM

It was not sudden. I foresaw it. And not nearly as tragic as my own career collapse.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 2:44 PM

'HAD a sudden, tragic death'.

Just the one?

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 2:46 PM

R2 One is all she needed. (Unlike actress Tanya Roberts who was pronounced dead, came back to life, then died once again.)

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 2:49 PM

I, for one, shall make a pilgrimage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 2:54 PM

They gave her a Popeye’s! I live near the Connie Chung rest area and we got a Chick-fil-A. I think Whitney would have prefered a Popeye’s.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 2:56 PM

We shall make a pilgrimage to Nippy and Bobbi Kristina's final resting place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 2:59 PM

Bobbi Kristina's headstone is so much better than Whitney's. And using that awful picture of Whitney from her "I Look to You" album cover was a huge mistake - doesn't even look like her (she looks Asian).

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 3:06 PM

Pot, Xanax, Benadryl, and Flexeril all make most people quite sleepy. Imagine taking all four, then climbing into a nice hot bath.

Those are the actions of a loooooong time drug abuser.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 3:10 PM

And at this time, wasn't she parading around everywhere telling everyone she was 'clean and sober' - starting with Oprah ?

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 3:12 PM

[quote] Imagine taking all four, then climbing into a nice hot bath.

Yes, please.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 3:14 PM

Crack is whack, R9!

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 3:15 PM

It's too bad her family was in such denial about her lifestyle. They didn't believe she was a lesbian, they didn't believe she was a drug addict from her teen years (it was all Bobby's fault!). If they let her be, she may still be with us today.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 3:26 PM

She wore mahogany to that night's Grammys.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 3:32 PM

[quote]submerged in about three inches of water in her bathtub.

This part is confusing. The bathtub was overflowing, flooding the bathroom and adjoining room. Are you saying Whitney was submerged 3 inches underwater?

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 3:40 PM

Oh, well I saw that thread and thought she died last week!

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2024 3:41 PM

Whitney Houston's death was almost inevitable as was Amy Winehouse. They were both a wreck towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 4:25 PM

What’s 6 inches and won’t be getting sucked on Valentines Day?

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 4:29 PM

Whitney, Amy Winehouse and Anna Nicole Smith all had extremely unsurprising deaths.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 4:31 PM

Boy she sang. So glad I grew up with her voice always nearby.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 4:33 PM

I really really miss her.

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2024 4:38 PM

Friends don't let friends put Monotype Corvisa on a gravestone.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2024 4:44 PM

R21, As much as I dislike Monotype Corsiva, at least it isn't Comic Sans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2024 5:41 PM

Yes, it was not 3-inches of water, but a full, overflowing bathtub of SCALDING hot water‚—so hot that the skin on her back and the back of her arms was peeling off. So hot that even six hours after being pulled out, her dead body's temperature was still almost 92 degrees fahrenheit.

I still am not sure how that happened. Like, how she comfortably sat down in a plugged tub with only the hot water faucet turned on, no matter how drugged-up she was.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2024 9:13 PM

Might have been three inches over her face.

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 9:35 PM

R23, One of those autopsy shows theorized that Whitney was so drugged out that she initially didn't sense that the water was too hot. There was a delayed reaction and when her brain finally sensed the scalding water, she went into shock or cardiac arrest and passed out.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2024 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!